Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 14:54   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Guys, Linea Petrol Emotion pack (7.73L OTR Pune) is max that I can stretch my budget. My running is not much as of now (less than 1k per month), but it may go up around 1200 to 1500 kms/month. But I am so smitten by Linea's looks, that I would love to buy it. Diesel Emotion Pack is out my budget ( almost 9l OTR Pune).

Does it make sense to buy Linea Petrol at all? How good is this car and Or is it more sensible to go for Linea diesel?
If you would have been driving more than 60 kilometers a day, diesel was a must. Looking at what you have mentioned, I took your daily running as 32.25 kms (monthly 1000/31 days). So Diesel is ruled out.

Regarding whether the car is worth it or no? I really don't know about the petrol as I am yet to test drive it. Do drive it and take a call. Should be worth the money.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:51   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Linea Petrol Emotion pack (7.73L OTR Pune) is max that I can stretch my budget. My running is not much as of now (less than 1k per month), but it may go up around 1200 to 1500 kms/month. But I am so smitten by Linea's looks, that I would love to buy it. Diesel Emotion Pack is out my budget ( almost 9l OTR Pune).

Does it make sense to buy Linea Petrol at all? How good is this car and Or is it more sensible to go for Linea diesel?
I test drove the petrol version and I did not feel it to be underpowered unless you always drive as if being on a track. The only thing which irritated me is that the 2nd gear is damn short and feels useless. 3rd compensates for it though
Old 5th February 2009, 15:53   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Manish,

I suggest you go for Diesel if you travel at 1200-1500 a month. We all know FIAT Petrol engines consumes petrol like a thirsty crow. Linea is a bigger car hence it makes sense to go for Diesel. Also the MJD engine is a good engine and will last 2L kms easily without any issues. I expect Diesel Linea to give a mileage of 17 while petrol Linea may give at max. 8 or 9. At current price levels this means every month if you drive 1500 kms you will save -

cost for petrol =1500*45/8.5 (Approx) = 7941
Cost of Diesel = 1500*33/17 = 2911
total savings a month = 5030

You would be save over 5000 rs a month that translates into 18 month payback period with a better car at the end of 1.5 years. THis is with an assumption that the petrol linea gives a mileage of 8.5 if it gives a better mileage say 11 then you take slightly more than 2.25 years for payback.

People say diesels are expensive to maintain. I have a diesel Swift and for last 2 years I have spent less than 10000 on maintenance. I have already run 35000 kms. So difference in maintenance cost for diesel vis-a-vis petrol is about 2000 Rs. a year which is peanuts.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:04   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Manish,

I expect Diesel Linea to give a mileage of 17 while petrol Linea may give at max. 8 or 9.
In all fairness dont you think you should really wait for the petrol to be out on roads and tested before you take an average of 8.5/ltr. Just a point I am making.

If you have some source, please do share it with us. That would be good to know how the FIRE is going to perform.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:13   #305
BHPian

I think mileage stats of Indica Vista SAFIRE would give a good idea.
I was seeing ads on TV for Indica SAFIRE 15.7kmpl.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:45   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We all know FIAT Petrol engines consumes petrol like a thirsty crow. while petrol Linea may give at max. 8 or 9.
This is crap!

I have a Palio 1.2, and I get around 12 - 13 kpl in City and 17 - 18 kpl on Highways.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:21   #307
BHPian

[quote=DieselFan;1159269]

cost for petrol =1500*45/8.5 (Approx) = 7941
Cost of Diesel = 1500*33/17 = 2911
total savings a month = 5030

[quote]

Dude I am not too sure of this calculation, I have booked a Linea Petrol myself on Jan 7th. My average running would be 1000Kms /1200 Kms a month. Petrol gives a mileage of 12 and Diesel gives 15 (15 and 18 on highway).

cost for Petrol = 1200*45/12 = 4500
cost of Diesel = 1200*33/15 = 2640

total saving of diesel over petrol per month = 1860. Time taken to recover the 1.2 lakh extra paid for the car purchase for diesel engine would be 5 years and 4 months. Hence Petrol would still make a sense.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:31   #308
BHPian

I spoke to a sales person (lady) at Concorde Motors Ambattur. They have a petrol Linea for test drive. She informed me that Petrol will give 11 in City and around 15 in highway. But one other document which was posted to one of the threads here claims that 12.9 / 18.

I am confused now. Any body who has access to Petrol Linea, please comment.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:00   #309
BHPian

Quote:
I expect Diesel Linea to give a mileage of 17 while petrol Linea may give at max. 8 or 9.
please get your facts right, the petrol engines provided in linea are the new generation engines which have great performance & mileage + its twin cam engine.. please check the facts on ::ITALIASPEED:: about the petrol engines before you pass the judgment....
Old 5th February 2009, 18:37   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post

The sensor for the ACC is right in the middle of the dashboard where, the windsheild meets it. You can see a small round protrusion. The reason the sensor is placed, is to check the sunlight coming into the cabin and set the ACC blower working to compensate for the rise in sunlight.

Damn I think the features list will run into a couple of pages long at this rate.
The sales rep tole me that the round protrusion is mic for the blue n me system to work. Huh now more confusion
Old 5th February 2009, 19:16   #311
BHPian

Petrol test driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The sales rep tole me that the round protrusion is mic for the blue n me system to work. Huh now more confusion
Precisely what the sales rep told me too! Don't know which one is true. I had driven the Diesel (Emotion pack) a couple of weeks ago and had paired my phone to blue and me. Called my wife. Audio reception and transmission worked beautifully.

Anyway, today afternoon went for the petrol test (Dynamic version) drive with two of my colleagues (one of them drives a Civic and the other an Aveo)

Interiors
As compared to the E-Pack the interiors are pretty basic. No music system. No ACC. No driver arm rest (not that i missed that too much). The rear AC vent too was not there and in its place was a bottle holder. The rear arm rest does not have any cup-holders. Instead of the passenger airbag was another compartment. Both compartments are pretty small.

Also, I had not noticed this before, the rear windows do not go down all the way. Sort of like the Fiat taxis in Mumbai.

Engine
As mentioned earlier you start the engine and you really do wonder is the engine on (we came back to our office, started the Aveo and you could make out that the engine was running. The Civic though was also a tad noisier but not by much - I would say a tie between Civic and Linea)

Rev her up a little and she makes a nice little note. However, the note does percolate into the passenger area even if you just maintain constant revs at 2K (Comparison: Aveo has more noise than Linea. Civic is still pretty silent at 2K but at 4K noise starts percolating. Advt Civic).

Performance
To take the car out of the showroom we had to take a take it out a very tight corner and a pretty steep incline. Guess these two important aspects of city driving. The car performed turned in well. While climbing the incline we purposely stopped her half way through to see how easy she will start off again. No problems again.

Handling has been reviewed many times over and I have nothing to add but to reiterate that she takes the potholes very well indeed.

A colleague really ripped the car and braked REALLY REALLY hard too. We had done a similar exercise with the Diesel too. However since that was the E-Pack version the ABS kicked in and ensured there was no skidding. The Dynamic though had no ABS and you could make out the skidding. This was ofcourse done on a relatively empty piece of road at Worli Sea Face.

We repeated the stop-go-stop-go test on the flyover opp the Atria mall. No problems at all.

The AC was very good (interesting integration of the AC switch and the blower knob). We kept the windows open till it got pretty warm (unfortunately it was not he warmest of afternoons in Mumbai) and then switched on the AC. Blower level at 2. Did not chill but kept us very comfortable indeed. However, I have to say blower at level 4 is pretty noisy.

An interesting observation (for me atleast) was this: The steering on the petrol felt far more lighter as compared to the Diesel. The sales person attributed it to the engine. Any reason why this should be so?

Conclusion
The petrol is no slouch at all for city driving and also for highway cruising. The third gear is amazing in its range. My colleague who drives the Aveo was literally singing praises about both the low end and high end capabilities of the third gear.

Waiting period is supposed to be 4-5 weeks. But as mentioned by downsouth 6 weeks is not out of question.

Majority of bookings have been for the Petrol at this dealership. And deliveries for Diesel have begun. One F.Red diesel EPack was being readied in our presence.
Old 5th February 2009, 19:22   #312
Senior - BHPian

biju ji

You actually beleive the crap sales guys dish out?
Old 5th February 2009, 23:01   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
biju ji

Are you saying that it will not even give 10 in city? Then it would be a disaster.
Old 6th February 2009, 00:38   #314
Senior - BHPian

Nopes. I meant that 11/15 will be quite possible, if not better. Atlesat the diesel (unfortunately) felt totally tuned for FE/drivability.

And better than sales guys, wait for more info on the forum
Old 6th February 2009, 00:42   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
biju ji

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju_kp View Post
Are you saying that it will not even give 10 in city? Then it would be a disaster.
Quote:
Nopes. I meant that 11/15 will be quite possible, if not better. Atlesat the diesel (unfortunately) felt totally tuned for FE/drivability.
The normal reaction out here would be that the salesmen inflate mileage figures.

This is a sort of first, where we think the salesman is deliberately understating mileage figures.

We learn new stuff everyday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks