Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 16:51   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I doubt Jazz will sell in our market!

As most of the Indians have a snob value for sedans, putting 8 - 9 lakhs on a hatch simply doesn't make any sense!
For the same money, one can get sedans like Fiesta, Linea, SX4, Aveo etc.

Only super rich looking for a additional car or a die-hard Honda fan may go for it!
Correct, if someone goes in to buy a top end Jazz and finds out that the base Honda sedan is just 50K away, he might as well say good bye to the Jazz.

EDIT: No generalizing, most would do so.
Old 11th June 2009, 16:52   #227
BHPian

Looks like Honda is trying to push the limits on over pricing to test the Indian consumer.
They are pushing themselves to see, how much the Indian consumer is willing to pay for the Honda badge. It doesn't seem like they have very high sales targets in mind for the Jazz, and this shock pricing is just a market study strategy to see the limits to which consumers will pay for a Honda. If they are able to sell in decent numbers, we will see more of this kind of pricing, and if it fails miserably, we may see some sensible prices henceforth.
I would have had no problems with the pricing, if the engine was 2ltr , for a 1.2 ltr engine, the pricing is very optimistic by Honda.
The i20 is certainly a better option at a lesser price in this segment. Lets wait for Punto pricing and we will get a very clear picture about the best VFM in this segment.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 11th June 2009 at 17:00.
Old 11th June 2009, 16:55   #228
BANNED

checked out the car today. display car was dark blue in color. i am a sucker for blue cars so i checked out more. stupid pricing now honda too is doping surely. for people like me who buy company reg the car sells for 9.13 laks. dream on i am paying that much for a tiny car. indivisual sells for 8.26 laks. i dont know the variant differences yet. i love the dash honda is not famous for making fundoo dash's in 3 cars now. no rims and they painted the city wheel caps to gun metal. HOW CHEAP ARE YOU HONDA ? close to 10 laks and still no rims. i wont be surprised if rich women start driving these around. waiting and watching who will buy this now. delivery is quick in 2 weeks so i am guessing its not a HIT already. when i got my zx first day he said 3 months waiting.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:12   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do me a favour and keep the sarcasm off the board. Watch your tone.
Please dont take it personally... it was sarcastic alright but was directed at the manufacturer not you
Old 11th June 2009, 17:19   #230
BHPian

While everyone's ranting about the price, the simple explanation might be that Honda can't produce more than 20,000 of these in a year and therefore they want to price it in such a way that the demand doesn't outstrip supply by a large margin.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:21   #231
BHPian

Nice review. I stopped buying all the Auto Magazines. None of them will ever carry this much pics and info for a car review, and the review is written in a user's perspective; which is again much appreciated.

Let's wait and see if Honda was brave or plain stupid with their pricing. I think Hyundai i20 looks much affordable and VFM now.

OT: First the Ritz and now Jazz and possibly more in the queue.. Can we have a separate section for 'original' Team-BHP TD/reviews?

Last edited by Matt : 11th June 2009 at 17:22. Reason: Spell error.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:21   #232
BHPian

Strategic pricing?

Honda's pricing for Jazz and ANHC could be a well thought out move.

Globally, Honda aspires to compete with the German carmakers head-on in the future. Case in point - the European Accord is pitched as a alternative to Beemers and Audis (no kidding!).This is because its place on the VFM table has been taken by the Koreans, and Toyota enjoys much better economies of scale.

Since Honda already has a premium image in India, this could be an opportunistic move to position themselves before the market actually matures. Reputations once made are hard to change!

Of course, at this price it will be interesting to see how sales pan out.
For the record: I think the Jazz is wayyy overpriced! And I love the name Ja$$ suggested earlier
Old 11th June 2009, 17:30   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I actually am looking to buy the active option. TD is scheduled on Monday.

Some things that I have considered.

A perfect sum up of a mind of a person who would be interested in this car. I have seen people commenting that the review may be sweetened up etc. but there is nothing wrong mentioning good features as good.
Price is a different matter, and performance different.

After all each car is built differently and it is up to the customer to choose what fits his requirements and budget. Else, we wouldn't find Fabias on road at all
Old 11th June 2009, 17:31   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Let us for a moment think that I have zeroed in on NHC (the older one). Now, Jazz provides all of what was there in NHC + a lot more than that at the same price - agreed it doesn't have a boot but the (boot) space is almost similar (500lts vs. 384lts). And (no, not for a moment do I agree with the current steep pricing) Jazz provides all of that at the same (previous) cost as NHC.

As someone pointed out already, Jazz is the "new" NHC. (ANHC is a different league altogether).

And yes, I agree with Amtak - it wouldn't be dumb to switch (from a choice of NHC) to Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If someone strictly goes by the utility value (and not the notion of (false) prestige a 3 boxes supossedly brings), why cant someone pay 8 lac for Jazz, if he/she was ready to spend that much on a NHC.
Both are comparable in terms of space and power/economy. NHC offers more boot space but Jazz makes up with highly flexible configuration. And it comes with ABS and Airbags!
Exactly my thoughts. Personally I would have considered buying one (after all I had bought Fusion!)
Old 11th June 2009, 17:39   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How about a 2 year old used Jazz then?
Not comfortable at all with buying a used car. Never have and hope never have to. Could buy a Prado for less than 10 though, if available.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:45   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
For the same money, one can get sedans like Fiesta, Linea, SX4, Aveo etc.

Only super rich looking for a additional car or a die-hard Honda fan may go for it!
For substantially lesser money, one can get a SX4; but still City sells more. However, I do not think, Honda would be looking at Swift type volumes, but some market of premium sedans will migrate to Honda.

Second point: I am not super-rich by any imagination, but such a car type (premium compact) is definitely top of my next car purchase.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:46   #237
Sandy!!!!

Impressive review indeed, but Jazz seems to be too pricey. With the number contendors increasing in the super hatch market, this segment is the one to watch out for.... I sincerly hope Fiat prices the Grande Punto right vis-a-vis its features, it might be a game changer.

Old 11th June 2009, 17:47   #238
BHPian

So what's the right price?

A question to GTO and others who've driven this car -

1. How much would you be willing to pay for it?
2. Since you've driven the i20 too - doesn't the Jazz pricing make it easy for Hyundai to bring in another variant with a better powered petrol engine?

i20 Asta (O) costs Rs 5,82,200 (ex-showroom Bangalore). Jazz Active costs around Rs 7,50,000. I'd say Hyundai can bring out a 1.4 petrol i20 Asta (O), add a sun/moonroof and few more goodies (is there anything left?). They could still price it under Rs 7,00,000 and make a lot of money.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:56   #239
BHPian

im glad that i didnt wait for Jazz and settled for Ritz instead.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:57   #240
Senior - BHPian

The only way to justify this car's price is to look at it as a 'car' and not as a hatch or sedan or suv. A car that is roomy and has adequate luggage space. Or look at it as a City with more spacious interior, lower power and reduced luggage carrying capacity.

Something tells me Honda should have no trouble moving the 20k units per annum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks