Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2009, 14:04   #196
BHPian

Hi - The car is overpriced by Rs 1.5 lacs for what it offers. That being said, I am sure that our Indian public will still go for it. Dealers in Delhi are also not sure what the USP of this car is.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:12   #197
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO, each and every aspect and corner of the car covered.
I was hearing to a review on Aajtak i think and a man (reviewer) there on JAZZ review said that if am saving 1-2 L on buyin a i20 i will tell my family to hold pens and cups in their hands instead of spending such money for cubby holes and magic seats

Honda has targeted sales at 1600 + cars per month which looks a bit on the higher side considering way higher pricing but who knows anything is possible with H badge. Car looks OK to me it doesnt look better than i20 (personal views) or Punto and engine also isnt a scorcher though it is silent and refined as i read from the reviews.
Still, 8 lacs for a hatch is too much and am not interested in a TD too when i have no plans to buy it at this price.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:17   #198
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what happens if you pull a hard stop, and the cups in front of the AC vents pour the liquid stuff down the AC vent
Old 11th June 2009, 14:30   #199
BHPian

Jazz is the new NHC

Firstly, great review GTO - far better written than reviews in most of the Indian auto mags.

My take is that Honda wants Jazz to have similar appeal as the NHC (the one prior to G3HC). Similar attributes - frugal engine, adequate performance, refinement, practicality, snob value. So the G3HC is now the performance / youthful car (i.e. the "new" OHC with boy-racer low rent interiors), and the Jazz is the "new" NHC.

As many members have already said... this may appeal as a second car. I have a feeling it may be preferred by the ladies (but then, if I knew what women liked... )
Old 11th June 2009, 14:31   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I wonder what happens if you pull a hard stop, and the cups in front of the AC vents pour the liquid stuff down the AC vent
Thats when the Jazz begins.

So, how many members here on TBHP are actually interested in buying the Jazz? I just wanted to understand the thought process based on which they arrived at the decision.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:32   #201
BHPian

Under equipped and over priced. Honda needs some lessons and fast.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:33   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Honda has targeted sales at 1600 + cars per month which looks a bit on the higher side considering way higher pricing but who knows anything is possible with H badge. Car looks OK to me it doesnt look better than i20 (personal views) or Punto and engine also isnt a scorcher though it is silent and refined as i read from the reviews.
Still, 8 lacs for a hatch is too much and am not interested in a TD too when i have no plans to buy it at this price.
2nd car for wives instead of an chauffer driven IKON and new fancy one? Could mean that sales numbers are achieved! But it is grossly overpriced car for anyone to put their money on.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 11th June 2009 at 14:35.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:33   #203
BHPian

Fantastic unbiased and typical Team-Bhp style review GTO. Cheers.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:34   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50xj13 View Post
GP is getting launched for a very long time now, methinks

Hyundai somehow will never command Honda's brand name in india ( going purely by sales)
VW > Honda in India ????? Long way to go

Honda City cannot be compared to the Ford Fiesta / Fiat Linea by any terms except category classification. All three have their own loyal fans. No one is stopping anyone from buying fiat or ford, its just that honda have mastered the technique of selling to indian buyers. which is why city is still outselling linea and ford is still having extended anniversary discounts on the Fiesta. i am still waiting for a test drive of the linea and the fiesta after having registered online.
make no mistake, ford and fiat are high pedigree car manufacturers, but having said that their strategy for india somehow has always flopped.
so dear friend, instead of saying down with jazz, lets tell ford, fiat to wake up so that honda's pricing becomes realistic in india.
afterall competition is the best leveller
Guys - Didn't tell you so ?- Honda has a great following in India & it will still get away with these Jazz Prices (though 99% bhpians here are shocked by prices).
Old 11th June 2009, 14:38   #205
BHPian

Great Review GTO, I could feel myself over there with all those detailed pictures. You have also specifically said the target audience too- City car. And quite expensive at that. For me I could see that this is not my cup of tea. Not a great handler, and wheezy for the highway and looks similar to an Innova.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:56   #206
Senior - BHPian

nice review, GTO and the pics really reveal the details.

IMO, the interior sucks for the price. For the price the fabia's interiors look much better... they have more elegance!

I have my doubts. I don't think this car will sell - it's encroaching on the honda city.

btw, toyota are you awake? where's your small car?

cheers
Old 11th June 2009, 14:59   #207
BHPian

I actually am looking to buy the active option. TD is scheduled on Monday.

Some things that I have considered.

1. Its not the segment definition that I am interested, when I sit in the car I do not remember every minute if I an driving a sedan or a hatch or a C or B seg. etc. To me its what the car has to offer in terms of satisfaction on the road, that is why i would buy it

2. I saw the boot space and its fits to my needs ~ 400 Ltrs

3. The feeling on roominess and the comfort while I am in car is so perfect. I will tell you why I felt this is important. Immediately after visting Whitefield Honda in BLR I drove to Adviath so see the i20. And the moment I got into it, I felt a very discomfort in terms of space. I felt I had to watch my elbows, my leg space my seating position and I had to adjust myself into the seat, which was unlike in the Jazz. There I just got into the car and I was home! I did not have the feeling of when will I get out of the car in the Jazz that I felt in the i20. Individually may be the i20 is also nice but when I juxtaposed no comparison with the Jazz.

4. My feeling is that there are somethings in the car that you can not change once you buy that and these are the determining factors. For instance the power and the seating space etc. These are the bare minimum that can not be changed or can not be traded for. For instance the Auto climate control, the absence of it in the Jazz does not mean that my cabin will not be cool, your end result (enjoying the cool atmosphere will not change), but its not as refined as the ACC I agree, but then a crumpled seating to a spacious seating, well that can not be traded off. Similarly I found many things where the basics of what the Jazz can do really beats other cars including the linea, verna, fiesta, I have done a TD of all these cars in all the variants.

5. Now coming to the ownership part, the confidence in the company when it comes to Honda is miles apart from either fiat, ford with the exception of Hyundai. I have a tata Indica and I know how my weekend plans are affected with the time the quick service guys take on my car each week.

6. I am not brand conscious for the sake of it. Its the confidence that the product has given to other users that builds the image of the company behind it, so that way I prefer Honda for what they offer and not what they are

7. Its about what 7.5 lahks can do, if not the Jazz then what else. Let me put down what my thoughts are
(a) i20 - power, space and resale, upgrade versions hyundai that might make the current i20 obsolete, that way I will be a duck!
(b) Fabia - forget Skoda
(c) Tata - not another one now
(d) Fiesta - Sitting space and comfort, also I do not prefer American cars (personal propensity )
(e) Linea - Not confident about Fiat, also the rear seat is not good for tall guys (I know that many would disagree here, but I have felt is myself). power and refinement, ***
(f) GM - Again no American please
(g) Grand Punto - This is still on open point, need to wait and see its not off the radar yet

All in all, these are my thoughts, I am still thinking about paying 1 L more to a City or to look for the Jazz itself. Actually City in built on the Jazz platfrom so that way the primary innovation have been for the Jazz and the city is a sedan off shoot.

Personally I too feel that the Jazz may be overpriced by about 50 - 75 grand.But well, that is something I can not change . Waiting for the GP to make the final call.

- Harish.

Old 11th June 2009, 15:14   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well said. It's a brilliant hatch by itself, but let down by the pricing (and lack of features at that price point).
Couldnt stop myself writing this... What is so brilliant about it? The engine is not... since you yourself said the Maruti 1.2 is as good if not better, it isnt space because the rear seat still cant seat three comfortably, equipment list is sparse, the ride and handling is average, the looks are average and there is no diesel option and then there's the biggest shocker of them all.. the price!
I really want to know whats so good about it... magic seats? 8-10 cupholders?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 11th June 2009 at 15:15.
Old 11th June 2009, 15:25   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The super light clutch & steering make it a boon within the city. Gear shift quality is positive.

The Jazz' ride quality is sufficiently compliant over most road surfaces, but you can feel the stiffness of the suspension. This is all the more evident at lower speeds. Don’t expect to please the enthusiast in you. The electric power steering is light, playstation-like & great within the city. However, as the speedometer climbs up, it becomes vague & lifeless (much like the previous-gen Honda City). In a nutshell, the Jazz is an excellent city car. This is the definitive premium hatch and competition's pretty much between the Jazz & the i20 (Skoda Fabia is not even in contention here).

Pricing: Honda's pricing has been a shocker
Considering that I plan to buy a similar car (Honda/Toyota) for my beloved wife in 2011 (or 2010), your review is of great comfort. She is no enthusiast, and gets scared of driving at speeds approaching 60-65 (kmph that is). Pricing is high but could go down after the initial hype (discounts). Nevertheless, honda is not really known for discounting aggressively.
Old 11th June 2009, 15:32   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Actually, I hope all cars -whose manufacturers make the Indian buyer pay well above its actual value, dont sell at all.
+100 to that & many many more.
Sadly when we try to drive this point on forum, people jump onto it thinking another MFR bashing

Its as simple as this. Manufacturers who disregard Indian Consumers, have the lowest regards in my view whatever high will be the quality, however high the reliability & however high the resale. Its blatant blackmail - kind of saying "buy it if you want whatever we give at however higher price- we're going to charge you more than what you should be charged"

e.g. I was a prospective Honda NHC customer but when they launched ANHC increasing the price & without the features / equipments it should have given with that price, out goes Honda with whatever high respect I had carrying for Honda over all these years.

Sadly, Honda is slated to get away this time also as always, thats what I feel. They've a huge following who'll in any case buy Jazz as a 2nd car in the family just for being perceived/ viewed as this "pricey" thingy.

I sincerely hope Fiat plays its cards well with GP or any other manufacturer stands up & gives a tough competition to Honda.

PS: can't resist to edit the post again to add 1 line. The above post is the reason I would like to see the 1st person on t-bhp buying Jazz. May be I can have a little "Pooja" with "Haarmala's"

Last edited by VahanPujari : 11th June 2009 at 15:37. Reason: addition of 1 line

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks