Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 08:09   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I guess you're part of an exclusive "Vocal White" Club...cuz Fiat has discontinued this color and introduced Bossanova white( why!?!)
Vocal white was such an awesome color! The new one is just plain white. Have a look:
Its about twice as expensive for Fiat to paint the Vocal white color. Fiat had asked TATA to have a different price for the Linea in Vocal white but Tata did not agree to this. That's why its discontinued.

Last edited by Crimson : 26th July 2009 at 08:11.
Old 26th July 2009, 08:39   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Its about twice as expensive for Fiat to paint the Vocal white color. Fiat had asked TATA to have a different price for the Linea in Vocal white but Tata did not agree to this. That's why its discontinued.
Can you educate the rest of us as to why painting of vocal white is twice as expensive?
A similar, not same, pearl white is available for the Safari. Is that also twice as expensive to paint ?
Old 26th July 2009, 08:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
Can you educate the rest of us as to why painting of vocal white is twice as expensive?
A similar, not same, pearl white is available for the Safari. Is that also twice as expensive to paint ?
Well I don't know the exact technical details. What I do know is that there are 2 factors:

1. It requires a higher number of paint coats as compared to the other shades.
2. One of those coat colors is very expensive and fiat is currently importing it.

I dont really know about the Safari shade, but as someone else posted in one of the threads, its not the same as the Vocal white.

Last edited by Crimson : 26th July 2009 at 08:46.
Old 26th July 2009, 09:07   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Well I don't know the exact technical details. What I do know is that there are 2 factors:

1. It requires a higher number of paint coats as compared to the other shades.
2. One of those coat colors is very expensive and fiat is currently importing it.

I dont really know about the Safari shade, but as someone else posted in one of the threads, its not the same as the Vocal white.
I'm not so sure about these factors that you've mentioned. In fact, the only person who can shed light on this matter, is Sunilrj . He has a vocal white Linea, which just got it's door painted. If you read the 1st page of this very thread, he's described beautifully the entire painting process for his door. Nowhere does he mention about a special "imported" paint coat!
Sunilrj, your inputs . Can you get the gentleman from BASF to clarify this?
Old 26th July 2009, 09:11   #65
BHPian

Well I got this information from the Manager at Pandit Auto. He mentioned that he himself was buying a Linea but was not able to get the Vocal white and he went on explaining as to why it was discontinued.
Old 26th July 2009, 11:56   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I tend to agree about the higher cost. Chevrolet sells the 'Ivory Gold' colour for around 8k more if I recollect correctly. The reasoning is that it needs extra coats and is a 'special' color.

See the link for TBHP post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1212591
Old 26th July 2009, 12:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I tend to agree about the higher cost. Chevrolet sells the 'Ivory Gold' colour for around 8k more if I recollect correctly. The reasoning is that it needs extra coats and is a 'special' color.

See the link for TBHP post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1212591

sometime back in my thread i mentioned the same thing. the pearl coat is an expensive affair and the BASF gentleman had repainted the door using Glasurite paints which cost a bomb. actually its not the paint itself which is costly. the tints that go into the paint in small quanities of 10 ml, 0.15 ml etc cost a bomb. secondly the vocal white colour as mentioned earlier has a tint which is reddish which gives the car different colours during different times of the day i.e pure white in the mornings, yellowish pearl white in the noons and reddish satin pearl in the evenings and satin finished pinkish pearl at nights. whereas most other pearls including the safari white pearl dont give such colour effects

Secondly most of the TASS use dupont paints to refinish in case of accidents etc. the OE Supplier to the manufacturer could be BASF (Fiat) nerolac (TATA) or any other company. dupont paints / tints and paint formulae are developed so as to enable the TASS to carry out the refinish during accident repairs. however dupont has not been able to develop this shade till date. this could also be a reason as in my case the TASS had to waste more than 2 litres of paint / thinner / binder / clear coat due to shade mismatch on account of use of dupont paint

Last edited by Sunilrj : 26th July 2009 at 12:21.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:08   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
yes VP! have been patitently waiting for my membership to be approved by the mods! the almost 90 day experience was written in a single day
To register on t-bhp, I tried 6-7 times but everytime the membership approval failed. In the last successful try, out of frustration, I used the handle/ username whatever came to my mind & thus the username is stuck now. Can't change it.

Quote:
sometime back in my thread i mentioned the same thing. the pearl coat is an expensive affair and the BASF gentleman had repainted the door using Glasurite paints which cost a bomb. actually its not the paint itself which is costly. the tints that go into the paint in small quanities of 10 ml, 0.15 ml etc cost a bomb. secondly the vocal white colour as mentioned earlier has a tint which is reddish which gives the car different colours during different times of the day i.e pure white in the mornings, yellowish pearl white in the noons and reddish satin pearl in the evenings and satin finished pinkish pearl at nights. whereas most other pearls including the safari white pearl dont give such colour effects

Secondly most of the TASS use dupont paints to refinish in case of accidents etc. the OE Supplier to the manufacturer could be BASF (Fiat) nerolac (TATA) or any other company. dupont paints / tints and paint formulae are developed so as to enable the TASS to carry out the refinish during accident repairs. however dupont has not been able to develop this shade till date. this could also be a reason as in my case the TASS had to waste more than 2 litres of paint / thinner / binder / clear coat due to shade mismatch on account of use of dupont paint
Is this the reason why Vocal White color on Linea is being discontinued ?

So, every time for accidental repair/ repaint, is the vocal white Linea needed to be taken to the BASF supplier as TASS can't paint it to perfection?
Old 27th July 2009, 12:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
To register on t-bhp, I tried 6-7 times but everytime the membership approval failed. In the last successful try, out of frustration, I used the handle/ username whatever came to my mind & thus the username is stuck now. Can't change it.

Is this the reason why Vocal White color on Linea is being discontinued ?

So, every time for accidental repair/ repaint, is the vocal white Linea needed to be taken to the BASF supplier as TASS can't paint it to perfection?

TASS can paint it provided for the Vocal white they get the paints manufactured by BASF, which would be readily available. but to prevent more confusion i guess its discontinued.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sunil,
Sorry for the late post.
I have seen this thread today only.
In a single gulp, i have read all posts here.
Vocal White looks very cool.
I have seen a Vocal White Linea MJD Emotion Pack yesterday in VST motors,Chennai.
It's readily available.

Your seat leathers are really fine.cost wise too.
me and Aswin(Geeash) were planned for Stanley in Chennai.
But i changed my decision and plan to wait for 1 year to go for Leathers.

The Nozzle caps ,Sil plates are Nice.
I already checked in Chennai Acc. shops.
But no one have any thing related to Linea.
Please send me the link to order.

I bought a Handy Vacuum Cleaner from Eureka Forbes for Rs.4000.
It's very Powerful & useful.
Eureka Forbes=

Enjoy and Drive Safely.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 27th July 2009 at 12:59.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:56   #71
BHPian

@sunilrj, you have added Elegance to a beautiful car. Man, your untiring efforts are great and you car just looks to be desired. your car seats look great. that's an excellent job and worth every penny

great buddy and just one point. so how do you plan your funding,one item each month or buy them as and when you like it.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:59   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats Sunil,
Sorry for the late post.
I have seen this thread today only.
In a single gulp, i have read all posts here.
Vocal White looks very cool.
I have seen a Vocal White Linea MJD Emotion Pack yesterday in VST motors,Chennai.
It's readily available.

Your seat leathers are really fine.cost wise too.
me and Aswin(Geeash) were planned for Stanley in Chennai.
But i changed my decision and plan to wait for 1 year to go for Leathers.

The Nozzle caps ,Sil plates are Nice.
I already checked in Chennai Acc. shops.
But no one have any thing related to Linea.
Please send me the link to order.

Enjoy and Drive Safely.

Karthik thanks for the wishes and hope u didnt have indigestion taking all that information in one gulp i would suggest that you and Geeash Both contact Karlsson and arrange to get the job done in Chennai itself on a particular weekend. this way the travel and transport costs could get reduced. else you have to travel down to bangalore for a couple of days.

Sill Plates, Nozzle caps and other accessories are available on ebay.com, partsworld-uk.com and such other sites. search for fiat or fiat linea and you will get the results
Old 27th July 2009, 13:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
@sunilrj, you have added Elegance to a beautiful car. Man, your untiring efforts are great and you car just looks to be desired. your car seats look great. that's an excellent job and worth every penny

great buddy and just one point. so how do you plan your funding,one item each month or buy them as and when you like it.

Thank you Ikoneer. My car is the cynosure of all eyes and infact the MD of the dealership who owns a Black linea offered to buy the car in exchange for another linea!

well i never plan my funding. whenever i see a product online and i find it desirable i plunge headlong and buy it lest it isnt available when i try to purchase it the next time. i believe in a policy Never put off something until later when it can be done now!
Old 27th July 2009, 13:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karthik thanks for the wishes and hope u didnt have indigestion taking all that information in one gulp
hahahaha
I had a Gelusil tablet before reading the entire story.so no issues on digestion.

for leather work,yes we need to discuss and do it asap.

for accessories,I already searched for.but no relevant result.that why i am asking the links.
any how i'll google it again.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:53   #75
BHPian

Sorry my fellow Linens ( i read this phrase in some other thread ..lol) , I am joining the Party Late.

Sunil - Congrats on your Lady in White !

Lovely car and Great work on the exteriors and interiors .

Welcome to the Gang !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks