Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 00:54   #1
akp
BHPian

Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)

Hello everyone, this is my first post in Team-BHP.

Here is my experience so far with my Jazz.

We were looking for a good spacious comfortable car, good not just from the perspective of the driver but also from that of the rear seat passengers. We were mainly interested in hatchbacks, but were open to sedans within our budget (8 lac or thereabouts).
After my previous experience with Fiat dealers in Delhi (my existing car was a 1.2L Uno from 2000), wanted to stick to Maruti/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota. So eventually shortlisted i20/Jazz/SX4. I was very much tempted by the rich feature set of i20 asta, specially the electrically foldable mirrors, but the rear seats somehow lacked that feeling of spaciousness. Also 45 days waiting period was a dampener. Eventually it came down to jazz and sx4 zxi.

Between jazz and sx4 zxi, it was rather difficult to choose -- they have different sets of pluses and minuses, so it is very difficult to compare the two. Eventually chose jazz. But on a different day, different time, we could have as well chosen sx4.

Booked from Automax Honda in Mayapuri on June 22, colour deep saphire blue. Initially promised delivery on the following weekend (27/28th), but later got postponed (due to our choice of colour, according to the sales person) and ended up getting delivery on July 4. (It was during this period between booking and delivery that I came across team-BHP site and in particular GTO's review of Jazz. I found the review surprisingly good, and coincided with almost all my observations till then.)

Initial odometer reading was 35 km.
Have done 2250 km since then.
Also done one trip to Amritsar and Wagah border just after the first servicing.

So far no complains.
  • Fuel consumption:
there is a difference of about 1/1.5 between the tripmeter FE reading
and calculation based on full-tank to full tank.

city FE was 11 in the beginning, now it is about 12.
(Daily drive is about 15 km in city traffic. For those familiar with Delhi, it is outer ring road and nearby in South Delhi, and has about 15/16 signals).

During the Amritsar trip, overall FE was 16.4 which included city driving in Amritsar quite a bit. While going, at one point (just before reaching Amritsar) FE reached about 17.5/18 (tripmeter reading, after making adjustment mentioned above). During this trip the car was fully loaded (5 occupants plus luggage).

All figures are with AC on all the time, and calculated full tank to full tank.
IOC xtra premium used throughout so far.
  • AC is very powerful, can handle Delhi summer very well.
  • As GTO wrote, low-end torque is an issue; what I noticed is that lack of torqueis in the rpm range < 1800 - 2000. Once you cross that, you start getting enough torque. So if one makes that adjustment in driving (by downshifting when required), things are fine. But one has to know and get used to this before starting any overtaking maneuver, specially on highways without dividers.
I remember the sales person telling me something to the effect that at low rpm, the fuel supply to the engine is cut off to an extent to achieve better FE.
  • Protrusion of the floor in front of the rear middle seat is much smaller compared to most other cars I have seen -- not completely flat as the civic, but quite low, thus offering much better leg space to the rear middle seat passenger.
  • Steering is a joy to use -- very light at low speeds, and power steering effect gradually goes away at higher speeds, giving you the right kind of feel.
  • Silent engine (in normal city driving), quiet cabin. Tyres I think slightly noisy at high speeds (I got Goodyear tyres -- dealer said they can not control what tyre one gets)
Old 31st August 2009, 10:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
IOC xtra premium used throughout so far.
Just a note : You do NOT need to use premium petrol in most Indian cars (Euros are typically the only exception). What matters is the "purity" of fuel. Unadulterated regular grade petrol is best.

Quote:
As GTO wrote, low-end torque is an issue; what I noticed is that lack of torqueis in the rpm range < 1800 - 2000. Once you cross that, you start getting enough torque.
Typical of most Hondas.

Quote:
Protrusion of the floor in front of the rear middle seat is much smaller compared to most other cars I have seen -- not completely flat as the civic, but quite low, thus offering much better leg space to the rear middle seat passenger.
I didn't notice this, but will take your word on it. The Jazz' interior is a case study in packaging.

Quote:
(I got Goodyear tyres -- dealer said they can not control what tyre one gets)
You can though . We generally upgrade our tyres to a better brand or size straight from the showroom.

If only Honda had priced the Jazz competitively, it would have led to greater acceptance by the market. It's a fantastic hatch, and pretty much an all-rounder.

Congratulations & drive safe, AKP.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2009, 11:40   #3
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a note : You do NOT need to use premium petrol in most Indian cars (Euros are typically the only exception). What matters is the "purity" of fuel. Unadulterated regular grade petrol is best.

I was in fact planning to look up the TBHP forums on the correct use of premium/normal fuel --- thanks for clearing this up.

Quote:
I didn't notice this, but will take your word on it.

After nearly two months of use, I still have not found too many things that were not already covered in your review and worth mentioning.

Quote:
You can though . We generally upgrade our tyres to a better brand or size straight from the showroom.
I will probably look to do that at some point soon.

Quote:
If only Honda had priced the Jazz competitively, it would have led to greater acceptance by the market. It's a fantastic hatch, and pretty much an all-rounder.
Sure it would have been much better because I would have had to spend less, but even with this price tag, I am very happy with what I have got in return.

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

What better way to begin your Team BHP journey than by posting a review of your new car. Congratulations on the Jazz. It is an extremely practical and as spacious as a sedan but in hatchback form. Refinement and reliability are two key Honda virtues. The only major con I see is the price which I hope Honda corrects in the future.

A tyre upgrade and a set of dishy alloys should make the car a looker. And before I forget no ownership review is complete without pictures.

Happy Motoring and Drive Safe
Old 31st August 2009, 15:54   #5
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
What better way to begin your Team BHP journey than by posting a review of your new car. Congratulations on the Jazz.
Thanks. I have been hooked to this site for the last couple of months. Its like a huge interactive library on automobiles and related stuff. I am finding it very addictive. You guys really deserve a lot of praise for putting it up and maintaining it the way you are.

Quote:
A tyre upgrade and a set of dishy alloys should make the car a looker.
Problem is you can upgrade to alloy only from Honda dealers (else risk voiding warranty), and there a set of five alloys are going to cost about 55k.

Quote:
And before I forget no ownership review is complete without pictures.
I will post some pictures, as soon as I have some time.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post

Problem is you can upgrade to alloy only from Honda dealers (else risk voiding warranty), and there a set of five alloys are going to cost about 55k.
I thought only Fabia spares were really expensive in a hatch category!

A set of 5 alloys would be around 45k for Fabia if you buy fm the dealer.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Typical of most Hondas.

I didn't notice this, but will take your word on it. The Jazz' interior is a case study in packaging.

hi on the issue about the IOC premium. I have an ANHC and the manual clearly says that petrol of 91 octane is required. As I understand the only petrol in the market with 91 octane is IOC premium and the other fuels such as ordinary fuel, speed, power are 87 octane. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi on the issue about the IOC premium. I have an ANHC and the manual clearly says that petrol of 91 octane is required. As I understand the only petrol in the market with 91 octane is IOC premium and the other fuels such as ordinary fuel, speed, power are 87 octane. Please correct me if I am wrong.
my understanding is also the same.
Even my Honda Dealer told me that i need to use Xtra premium fuel
Old 31st August 2009, 21:22   #9
BHPian

Congrats dude, Blue seems to be the typical colour associated with a Jazz. Great car! I only wish it was a 1-2 lacs cheaper.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:30   #10
akp
BHPian

Quote:

Right now I do not have the manual with me (it is in the car), but I do have the pdf version of a Honda Fit manual which says that one needs fuel with octane 87 or higher.
Old 31st August 2009, 23:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me correct you :P. Regular unleaded in all major cities are 91RON. These so called premium fuels have no higher octane rating. Just additives, which your engine may or may not like.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:01   #12
BHPian

@akp
Congrats on your new Jazz. Hope you have many many happy years of driving.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Let me correct you :P. Regular unleaded in all major cities are 91RON. These so called premium fuels have no higher octane rating. Just additives, which your engine may or may not like.
That is absolutely correct. Normal fuel in metros is 91 ron. You can also go to the IOC site. What holds for IOC holds for other pumps since this is a Govt. regulation. Premium fuel is not required unless the manual says so (which most probably with Honda will not). I had the same issue, but after reading the manual and talking to Toyota, have been filling normal fuel in my Corolla. (except for the first 1-2 fillings)
Old 1st September 2009, 10:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for the car. The blue jazz looks funky.
Long distance during break-in period with 5 passengers and luggage, I think you should mind that its 1.2 liter engine suited better for city runs. Take care of the engine initially buddy and it will serve you well.

Look forward to the longterm report. Cheers!
Old 1st September 2009, 11:09   #15
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Nice review and awesome colour choice. Please do post some pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks