Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 20:25   #121
BHPian

Smashing

Im wonderfully surprised to hear that there are no niggles in the 1st 1000 km. That just shows that TATA has given us not just a VFM product but a product with little or no niggles. And do post the pictures once you accessorize the car. Like someone previously mentioned, This is one TATA car which we all would love to accessorize. Have a great time with your Manza. Hey you havent named her as of yet
Old 21st December 2009, 21:46   #122

Thanks Vijay, appreciate your inputs.

Waiting for those pics
Old 26th December 2009, 20:00   #123
BANNED

First long drive on my Manza - Trip to my hometown which is about 220 Km from Hyd. Did not anticipate any trouble over the restarted Telangana row. Started early morning, since was running short of petrol and all petrol bunks were still closed, got 10 litres in black for 700/-.

Driver took to the steering wheel since we wanted to get more miles by driving at steady high speed. We were confident of getting close to Karnataka with this much of fuel. Original plan was to me using this early morning dive on highway to learn en route. Luckily after covering 30 km, got the first open bunk and filled full tank. All these days, the Avg. milage shown was 10 km/l which was OK given that 60% of the driving was done by me & wife as we learnt on different roads. Took the driver seat from here, but soon after crossing Sadashivpet and 40 km from Zahirabad, saw a road block with lot of trucks standing on the highway. Saw a innova, swift and Zen getting directions to take a side road. After taking to villagers standing nearby and
exchanging seat with driver again, we started tailing the three vehicles in lead with a gap of 100 ft between each vehicle. Drove for about 40+ kms thru mud roads and partially tarred ones. The villagers were just staring at these four vehicles of different colors and shapes driving back to rake lot of dust ans spoil the peaceful morning.

This C trip brought us back to highway just 15 km from Zahirabad. Since we had started with just a cup of tea in the cold morning (7.11 am) and am used to 8 am breakfast, was damn hungry. While there were many dhabas around, parents wanted a pure veg hotel. Luckily happened to sight a APTDC signboard and we drove in. The place was clean and very spacious with options to sit in the shades or inside the main hall. There already couple of families ordering breakfast. Since they had only idli and puri to offer and was sure I alone would need at least a plate of each, ordered few plates for all. Walked into the kitchen and agin it was well kept, plus they did not resist me entering unlike our city restaurants. They started preparing puri and chutney (for idlis) while I walked past the passage to explore the backyard. Was surprised to find a small rose garden with few yellow and other roses.

After the stupendous breakfast (everyone liked the chutney which had groundnuts added inlike the typical pure coconut one which comes with youre typical idli/dosa) and the sagu(sabji) for puri which were also very hot. After couple of family snaps, hit the road with me back behind the steering. The Avg. milage was showing 14 now. Past Zahirabad, the long stretch of almost startght highway was almost emtpy and as I hit speed of 60, driver urged me to go on 5th gear which I did with some hesitation since was still getting used to the vehicle responding to very small turn of the steering with a good amount of turn. Driver reassured that its due to power steering. Drove at 80-90 kmph speed for quite some time and also over took several speeding vehicles (mostly trucks) with proper directions from the driver who, as usual was holding the hand brake just in case. In the back seat, had ensured everyone was wearing seat belts, especially since I was driving.

The Avg, mileage slowly increased and by the time we made it to my place it was showing 23.6 kmpl. The AC was on only during the last 70 km. Some villages on the route like Mannakhed, Kamalapur etc., are famous for specific items like Guava, Banana, ground nuts and maize. Even when we take bus route, always ensure that the conductor wait for few more minutes at these bus stops while I get good amount of these for the coming week
Wify too to driving for the last 30 km while I had to get to back seat to sync mails and get started on my work. Overall, good experience.

Vijay
Old 28th December 2009, 11:36   #124
BHPian

In GTO's review I had read that at high speeds on highway the rear of Manza might tend to get bouncy. Did you or your family members seated behind feel the same? How did Manza handle at speeds of 90kmph?
Old 29th December 2009, 15:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
In GTO's review I had read that at high speeds on highway the rear of Manza might tend to get bouncy. Did you or your family members seated behind feel the same? How did Manza handle at speeds of 90kmph?
add me for the same questions, hows the rear seat ride quality,highway manners of manza above 80kmph, and steering feedback.Loved your lines-
"Wify too to driving for the last 30 km while I had to get to back seat to sync mails and get started on my work. " thats what tata made this car, comfy rear seat with additional socket to do all your plugins and works and be relaxed.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:17   #126
BHPian

Hey brother, congrats!!
Manza definately gives the impression of a BIG car.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:14   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
Yes, it does get a bit bouncy at the rear when you are going at high speeds on a highway and hit a pothole or a rough patch. Experienced it at Mumbai-Pune express highway. However, it is not a big problem, as my head did not hit the ceiling after the car hit a bad pothole, and I am 6 feet tall. It does get a bit uncomfortable in such situations(somebody here said this was because of 'semi-independent suspension at rear' or something like that), but it is not a big deal. If you don't get a pothole, you won't even feel that you are in a moving car, it's that smooth.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:23   #128
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Past Zahirabad, the long stretch of almost startght highway was almost emtpy and as I hit speed of 60, driver urged me to go on 5th gear which I did with some hesitation since was still getting used to the vehicle responding to very small turn of the steering with a good amount of turn. Driver reassured that its due to power steering. Drove at 80-90 kmph speed for quite some time and also over took several speeding vehicles (mostly trucks) with proper directions from the driver who, as usual was holding the hand brake just in case. In the back seat, had ensured everyone was wearing seat belts, especially since I was driving.

The Avg, mileage slowly increased and by the time we made it to my place it was showing 23.6 kmpl. The AC was on only during the last 70 km. Some villages on the route like Mannakhed, Kamalapur etc., are famous for specific items like Guava, Banana, ground nuts and maize. Even when we take bus route, always ensure that the conductor wait for few more minutes at these bus stops while I get good amount of these for the coming week
Wify too to driving for the last 30 km while I had to get to back seat to sync mails and get started on my work. Overall, good experience.

Vijay

Hi Vijay,
Congrats on your new Manza and good that you have started enjoying your long drive.

To All,
Is it a good practice to apply handbrake at high speeds, just a question.
I used to think that handbrea usually engages the rear wheels and if applied at high speeds car may turn unpredictably.

Any comments?

Regards,

JLS
Old 31st December 2009, 10:31   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Hi Vijay,
Congrats on your new Manza and good that you have started enjoying your long drive.

To All,
Is it a good practice to apply handbrake at high speeds, just a question.
I used to think that handbrea usually engages the rear wheels and if applied at high speeds car may turn unpredictably.

Any comments?

Regards,

JLS
I see no reason for the car to turn with the handbrake as they are applied equally to both back wheels. I used to have my hand on the handbrake when my better half was learning to drive and can vouch for the fact that the car does not turn. She used to turn the steering away by instinct is another issue though . Harrowing exprerience
but it did give both of us the comfort that any situation can be managed (considering the low speeds).

That said, the handbrake is no match for the main brakes that get applied to all 4 wheels. But it does help slow the car down before the driver reacts with the main brakes.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:13   #130
BANNED

This being the only car I have driven beyond 50kmph(santro & M800 from driving school were driven within city limits & upto 40kmph), am not the best person qualified to comment either way.
But did check with the driver who came along to drop me to my hometown and another driver who replaced him for my stay here. Both agree that they did not feel any bounce.
Am approaching 2000 kms (did finish most of the second 1000 in past 1 week).

New driver identified few issues to get rectified in my next service -
a)brake takes time and is not instantaneous,
b)clutch is hard,
c)sometimes right indicator does not switch off after making the turn and
d)one of the hooks(not sure right/left) holding the back seat to the body is not fitting in.

In my smaller town, there aren't many Manza and it continues to be head turner. Do keep hearing folks discuss about my car almost everywhere I go . Some folks did ask for details and even peeked inside while parking couple of times.

Did see a monarch red in flesh as it zipped by while on NH218 and I and family agreed that it wasn't as good (or are we biased after having satin gold for this long?) looking and decision to switch from monarch red to satin gold was good one.

Vijay
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:44   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by introvert7 View Post
Yes, it does get a bit bouncy at the rear when you are going at high speeds on a highway and hit a pothole or a rough patch. Experienced it at Mumbai-Pune express highway. However, it is not a big problem, as my head did not hit the ceiling after the car hit a bad pothole, and I am 6 feet tall. It does get a bit uncomfortable in such situations(somebody here said this was because of 'semi-independent suspension at rear' or something like that), but it is not a big deal. If you don't get a pothole, you won't even feel that you are in a moving car, it's that smooth.

You hit a pot hole on the express highway!! It must not be on the express highway (for which TOLL is collected - Ravet (Pune) to Panvel) but on the stretch before you hit the express way. I frequently travel from Pune to Mumbai and back and did not find any potholes on the express way.
Anyways good to hear that the bouncy rear end is not a worry on the Manza.
Old 20th January 2010, 20:43   #132
BHPian

hey vjoy, what updates on your car? I do know, you had the combi switch replaced due to a niggle as reported in the other Manza thread but otherwise, how is your baby doing?
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:41   #133
BANNED

2800 KMs and going strong. Last weekend got autocop camera reverse parking sensor from autofin for 6.5k. for 150 Rs more the mechanic provided couple of not so pretty switches below steering wheel to switch the camera on while regular driving too. Both modes have been useful in keeping safe distance on road in congested areas and while reverse parking.

Following are couple of snaps to drool on satin gold manza

cheers,
Vijay
Attached Thumbnails
My Manza is here...finally..-midday.jpg  

My Manza is here...finally..-onriverbank.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 10:45   #134
BHPian

cost of accesories

Quote:
2800 KMs and going strong. Last weekend got autocop camera reverse parking sensor from autofin for 6.5k. for 150 Rs more the mechanic provided couple of not so pretty switches below steering wheel to switch the camera on while regular driving too. Both modes have been useful in keeping safe distance on road in congested areas and while reverse parking.

cheers,
Vijay
Hey Vjoy, did you mean you got the autocop + rear camera+rear parking sensors for 6.5 k if so let me tell you thats a real good deal, the quote I got from concorde was 11.5k for parking sensors+ Cam and 3-4.5 k for Autocop.

Did you get this done from the dealer himself? If not then what about the warranty? also are the parking sensors body coloured or black?

Thanks in Advance mate.

Last edited by MihirC : 3rd February 2010 at 10:46.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:

cheers,
Vijay
Woe to whoever tries to rear-end vjoy's manza, he will have your car registration on record

The camera on during regular driving seems a good idea though. vjoy did you fit ones in front as well, so you can see how close you are to the car in front?

Last edited by adits : 3rd February 2010 at 11:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks