Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2012, 11:17   #7156
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

As for mud flaps, its been 6 7months since it got broken and im doing actually better without them. No unnecessary contact with the road as used to happen earlier. Sometimes during the rains mud tends to accumulate on the fender which can be washed off easily thereafter.

The genuine part has a design flaw and until ford corrects it, im not buying any.

Regards
I am still running on the stock mud flaps for the past year and a half, no scrapping/breaking.
I guess ford did not consider Bangalore's humongous speed-breakers when designing the mud flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
And as for the mud flaps, even I got mine broken last month and had to get a new set of front flaps from the A.S.S. It set me back by 750/- for the front 2 alone. You can get a set of 4 rubber ones from outside shops for around 350/-, but the downside is the Ford flaps are a clip-on type while the after-market ones are screw-in type. .
I was quoted 750 bucks for all four mudflaps,not two!! when i broke my mud flap while reversing. According to the SA they dont sell single pieces,only a full set! Since the clips were damaged i didnot get the full set, just got two new clips put for 20 rupees.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 1st September 2012 at 11:18.
Old 1st September 2012, 11:33   #7157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
All those who are worried about the mud flaps. Just get them to cut off 1-2 inches from the new set you put. I did that and mine is still "on" as of now!!!
I just can't figure out why Ford, even after complaints from thousands of unhappy customers and even after taking the issue up directly with Michael Boneham, and him promising a solution to the lousy mud flap design, has still not come out with a new flexible or a shorter mud flap design than the current serial bump-kissers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I was quoted 750 bucks for all four mudflaps,not two!! when i broke my mud flap while reversing. According to the SA they dont sell single pieces,only a full set! Since the clips were damaged i didnot get the full set, just got two new clips put for 20 rupees.
I was quoted 1,200/- odd for a set of 4 including labour charges at Fortune Ford, Hyderabad. Since the rear ones were intact, I opted only for the front ones and was offered a replacement for 750/- including labour, which I took.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:04   #7158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
...The genuine part has a design flaw and until ford corrects it, im not buying any.
Agreed. But the mud flaps are not all that bad.

I live in a place which has got the most number of unscientific speed breakers in the world However I have not managed to scrap the underbelly or break the mudflaps even once.

My tires are stock. I maintain 34 in the front and 38 in the rear. Believe me... it surely makes a difference. You could give this a try. I find many people not going beyond the 33psi level unless they have a huge truck load to carry. The OE Rating recommends upto 44psi I guess. So no harm in 34 and 38 even when you drive alone. This works for me atleast.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 1st September 2012 at 12:05.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:58   #7159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels
My tires are stock. I maintain 34 in the front and 38 in the rear. Believe me... it surely makes a difference. You could give this a try. I find many people not going beyond the 33psi level unless they have a huge truck load to carry. The OE Rating recommends upto 44psi I guess. So no harm in 34 and 38 even when you drive alone. This works for me atleast.
But if you set at 34 front & 38 rear, you will be compromising on braking and handling at high speeds. And also you get a bit bumpy ride on uneven road at low speeds. IMO 38psi would be over inflated and not recommended at highway ride as the air in tyres will expand due heating tyres and affects car's braking.
Old 1st September 2012, 13:22   #7160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

But if you set at 34 front & 38 rear, you will be compromising on braking and handling at high speeds. And also you get a bit bumpy ride on uneven road at low speeds. IMO 38psi would be over inflated and not recommended at highway ride as the air in tyres will expand due heating tyres and affects car's braking.
May be that's the technical side of it. I do a 80km round trip everyday which involves significant stretch of high speed highway driving too.

Am the only person in the car 90% of the time. However I have not felt any such phenomenon.
Old 1st September 2012, 13:58   #7161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Thanks for the gesture AbhiJ. I don't mind the finish and I think the size would suit me. Infact this was my 2nd option. I had thought to stick something (a rubber/foam strip) on one side of good quality double glued tape and stick it to the car frame. I fear using any type of adhesive, as it may ruin the paint finish.

could you post pics after the job is done, and also let us know how much better it has gotten after the install.

Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 14:01   #7162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
could you post pics after the job is done, and also let us know how much better it has gotten after the install.

Thanks
Sure. Let me receive the rubber tape, Install and check! I hope the problem would be resolved.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 1st September 2012 at 14:03.
Old 1st September 2012, 14:36   #7163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Thanks for the gesture AbhiJ. I don't mind the finish and I think the size would suit me. Infact this was my 2nd option. I had thought to stick something (a rubber/foam strip) on one side of good quality double glued tape and stick it to the car frame. I fear using any type of adhesive, as it may ruin the paint finish.
Expect the parcel by tuesday.

Also, I hope the gasket works for you, but from my own DIY experience, I am doubtful.

Here is my 6 months solution for Doors / Dickies noises.
Just coat this part (http://static.traderscity.com/board/...-striker-1.jpg)
with 3-5 layers of PVC electric Insulation Tape.

If the noise persists, add layers. If door becomes hard to open, reduce.

This kills the "play" between the door and the body and kills the noise.

The tape wears out in 6 months or so. Replace it.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 14:43   #7164
BHPian

Thanks for the Inputs Abhishek. DIY's are Bhpian's Forte . I will try the electric tape option too. Will report the outcomes very soon.
Old 1st September 2012, 19:20   #7165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
When I faced this problem, I was able to slot into all the gears, but was not quite as smooth as it used to be.
It was fixed by adjusting the torque on the gear cables.
Better to get it checked at ford soon.
Thanks. Got the final update from my friend. Initially the workshop guys gave a quote of 75k+ for the damage, quoting several aspects. I had shared your thread with my friend so he was quite surprised when they came back with their estimation.

However now they are stating that the issue is minor and would be resolved within a cost of 3k (my friend's decided to take the cost on his own instead of insurance). Will post the exact details (of the part to be replaced) later.

P.s. This seems to be a common problem - did a search on the net, and several figo owners have posted/discussed this on other forums too.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:20   #7166
BHPian

Anybody knows what could make steering wheel alignment change, I see a slight change when riding on straight lines.
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:50   #7167

Hi Guys

Any advise for a good service center in Bombay? Also my car is completing 20,000 kms this month. Can you suggest any accessories or upgrades I could consider?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have also "lost" / "sacrificed" my mud flaps to Ford India's perfect design sense :-(
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:48   #7168
BHPian

My 3 month old Figo TDCi has done about 1700 and odd kms. Planning for a 600km road trip to Valparai and back, this weekend. This being my Figo's first road trip, what is a safe top speed that I can hit? At my first service, the SA advised to go gentle on the engine till I cover 2500 on the odo. Just trying to put a figure to that gentleness.
Old 4th September 2012, 07:19   #7169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
Anybody knows what could make steering wheel alignment change, I see a slight change when riding on straight lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
My 3 month old Figo TDCi has done about 1700 and odd kms. Planning for a 600km road trip to Valparai and back, this weekend. This being my Figo's first road trip, what is a safe top speed that I can hit? At my first service, the SA advised to go gentle on the engine till I cover 2500 on the odo. Just trying to put a figure to that gentleness.
Just try to keep rev-counter between 1.5k to 2k RPM. On keeping this count, I guess you will just touch 75 or 80 at max.

Have a safe trip.
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 08:09   #7170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english
The steering geomentry changes due to bumps in the roads after 3k-5k kms. We need to get alignment done regularly at intervels of 5k kms to have the front wheels run in even direction and steering wheel straight.
When you go for wheel alignment, you can adjust the steering wheel direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli
Right now my two month old TDCi Figo done 2k + kms. Did three 120+ kms highway trips and one 850kms highway trip and I am maintaining the gear shifts between 2-2.5k rpm and only in few occassions reached 3-3.5k rpms.
It is good to maintain 80kmph on highways @ 2k rpm in fifth gear for first 1000kms of new car. Since you have done 1700 kms, you can do 100kmph @ 2.5k rpm in fifth gear which I feel will not stress new engine on continious highway drive.

Last edited by HighOctane : 4th September 2012 at 08:11.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks