Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 23:42   #1
BHPian

My Ford Figo ZXi TDCi Colorado Red

I spotted figo early after it was launched when cars were doing test rounds in the city. Immediate reaction was if i could get my hands on it. My plan to own a beauty goes a long way earlier was looking at second hand cars particularly OHC and Baleno. Infact, i did come across couple of cars that i liked, however due to personal commitments couldn’t really get my hands on one. I am used to driving my cousin’s Santro. Sometime back in December, me and my wife decided to get a car and round about the same time the figo announcement was made, then read the GTO review of the car. Have a friend at ford, who used to get me inputs regarding the car, thats pretty much the background.

Why Figo? I listened to my heart.
What other cars did i have in mind? Figo, Figo and Figo only
Even though i had zeroed in on the car, i wanted to TD before booking one for myself. In the middle i also took a TD of Manza at the YMCA grounds during an Auto Fair. Tata was a big no for me, Swift never impressed me much, Chevy UVA outdated, i 10 was a definite no.

Requirements: Needed a decent hatch, spacious enough both seating and boot capacity, budget of around 5 lakhs.

I have been following the Figo thread before i started posting on the same. The day they had the display car i was there already with sufficient knowledge about the car. Few days later took my wife along for her to check the car out. She was fine with it though not excited as i was initially.
Took the test drive on 10th March, it was the usual short TD, however i managed to get the car into cosmopolitan golf club road and took over the pot holes. My friend who accompanied me also drove the car (he has a swift) and found it nice. Again, took a TD on Saturday with my wife and 2 cousins, i insisted on getting a longer TD before i booked it. The sales person at the dealer caved into my request and agreed to it but we had to be there by 9 , before the showroom opens. I needed to check three main things, one was the ride comfort, how fast the car was and most importantly, sloping roof line does not create discomfort to rear seat people while running over a large bump.

Pulled off from the MPL Nandanam showroom with 5 people in the car, all were comfortably seated. The ride was perfect, found a clear stretch with no traffic from Tidel park towards Madhya Kailash, reached 120kmph with ease and had to slow down because of traffic. Then my cousin took over, usually a good driver, guess a bad day for him, we could test the braking efficiency of the car and immediately after that he took us over a huge speed breaker at about 50kmph, we were all thrown up and none of us hit the roof. I am 6’2 “ and i didn’t hit the roof and yes i was seated comfortably on the rear, tall ppl will suffer from lack of thigh support, however an average joe would just fit right in. That was the deal maker.
Next day 14th March i went along with my parents and wife, both my dad and mom liked the car, my mom preferred the Fiesta more. Did the formalities and booked the car by paying 25000Rs. I also took the necessary documents for Bank loan application. I was given a delivery date of April second week. Got a call from the agent who informed me that the loan was approved and me being a first timer with the process, went on 19th paid the rest of the money at MPL and got the loan amount and paid it to them in full. Was told to expect sometime between 25th to 31st April.
When i posted this on the thread, there were worrying posts about not to pay before seeing the car at the yard, and i was scared that the dealer would take me for a ride. However, by 31st did not have the car on the yard and was told to wait until 1st, and on 2nd i was told the car was allotted and the vin no was given to me.

I was initially asked to check the car out on Monday 5th April, however got the call on 4th April to check it out at the yard on Sunday. I did and it was all perfect and went to registration on 5th of April.

Day of Delivery:
Reached their along with my wife,dad, bro in law. Checked the car, the car was clean and everythign was fine. Did the rest of invoicing, small goof up, color of the car was wrong on the invoice, they had mentioned it as Chill instead of Colorado Red. We took the car after the pooja, went to temple.
Being a new car i was over cautious whilst driving, what happens when your overly cautious figo falls in love with i10 and kisses it.
Yes, there was heavy traffic, a vista was too close to me and the i10 stopped and figo kissed it. result, LHS bumper paint scratched and wheel arch slight dent. I am to blame as well then we went to the temple and did the pooja, then drove around the entire day covered about 120 kms on the firs day. of which 38 kms by ford and the rest by me.

Positives: Loads of em and well discussed.

Negatives:
Back ache ( i may need to set the height properly)
Brake is hard not soft (when i brake, could feel a shudder or braking is happening in 3 steps) but it did ease as i drove around. I hope this will get sorted out with more driving.
First gear is mainly to move the vehicle then it needs to be on second gear.

Will upload more photos of the beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo ZXi TDCi Colorado Red-img_3003.jpg  

My Ford Figo ZXi TDCi Colorado Red-img_3011.jpg  

My Ford Figo ZXi TDCi Colorado Red-img_3004.jpg  

My Ford Figo ZXi TDCi Colorado Red-img_2.jpg  

My Ford Figo ZXi TDCi Colorado Red-img_3002.jpg  

Last edited by scorpio07 : 8th April 2010 at 23:47.
Old 9th April 2010, 00:12   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio07.. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new drive. The car looks really good in this colour. A good set of alloys and new shoes would enhance the side profile.

Is that the MPL stock yard in Pallikaranai in the 4th picture?

Last edited by MAS : 9th April 2010 at 00:14.
Old 9th April 2010, 01:07   #3
BHPian

Wow

Congrats !! That is one good looking machine!
The Figo is definitely going to serve you well as Ford is known to make durable cars!
Have fun munching the miles!
Old 9th April 2010, 01:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If your back hurts, try getting the wooden seat beads thing. They help at times.
Also fiddle around with the settings like the recline and see if there is any improvement.
The car looks amazing! Congrats on your buy.
Old 9th April 2010, 04:37   #5
BANNED

Congrats, have a nice ride.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Great choice. I firmly believe this is the best hatchback in the country at the moment. Good build, amazing VFM and fantastic ride and handling. The TDCi engine is a gem. Looks fine too and you've got it in my favourite colour. Congratulations.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.

Nice decision. Happy figo-ing...
Old 9th April 2010, 07:31   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the Figuu! We do have a lot of tall drivers on T-bhp. You'll have to slide the seats a long way back to avoid back aches.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:39   #9
BHPian

Great to see another Figo owner. Definitely the best VFM car in the market.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:56   #10
BANNED

Congratulations Scorpio! Drive safe & Have fun!
Old 9th April 2010, 08:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Sorry about the "kiss". I guess the Red Figo's are prone to attracting some "real bad eyes"

Leave that scratch there for a month or so....Yeah It helps
Old 9th April 2010, 09:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey scorpio07,

Congrats for buying the Ford Figo
By any chance,you used to travel in MMDA road.
I often see a Red Figo around 8AM in this road.

Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 9th April 2010, 10:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

Scorpio07.. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new drive. The car looks really good in this colour. A good set of alloys and new shoes would enhance the side profile.
Thanks MAS, alloys not anytime soon already stretched my budget, will get the tints done though

Is that the MPL stock yard in Pallikaranai in the 4th picture?
Thats the MPL Nandanam dealer yard in Thanikachalam road opp to raj palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Congrats !! That is one good looking machine!
The Figo is definitely going to serve you well as Ford is known to make durable cars!
Have fun munching the miles!
Thanks Gaurav
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If your back hurts, try getting the wooden seat beads thing. They help at times.
Also fiddle around with the settings like the recline and see if there is any improvement.
The car looks amazing! Congrats on your buy.
It felt a lot better today, will get the beady thing Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Great choice. I firmly believe this is the best hatchback in the country at the moment. Good build, amazing VFM and fantastic ride and handling. The TDCi engine is a gem. Looks fine too and you've got it in my favourite colour. Congratulations.
Thanks Aditya
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats.

Nice decision. Happy figo-ing...
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Congrats on the Figuu! We do have a lot of tall drivers on T-bhp. You'll have to slide the seats a long way back to avoid back aches.
Yes did that on my way to office today, have a question for you. the owners manual mentions a glow plug indicator. I did not see such a thing. Have you seen the glow plug indicator, if so can someone post a pic of the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Great to see another Figo owner. Definitely the best VFM car in the market.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Congratulations Scorpio! Drive safe & Have fun!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Congrats. Sorry about the "kiss". I guess the Red Figo's are prone to attracting some "real bad eyes"

Leave that scratch there for a month or so....Yeah It helps
yes true, the owners manual mentions a glow plug indicator. I did not see such a thing. Have you seen the glow plug indicator, if so can someone post a pic of the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hey scorpio07,

Congrats for buying the Ford Figo
By any chance,you used to travel in MMDA road.
I often see a Red Figo around 8AM in this road.

Enjoy and Drive Safe
Nope not me , thanks for your wishes
Old 9th April 2010, 10:22   #14
BHPian

Congratulations. Enjoy your car !

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
yes true, the owners manual mentions a glow plug indicator. I did not see such a thing. Have you seen the glow plug indicator, if so can someone post a pic of the same.
Somewhere in the manual it states that glow plug indicator is only for Endeavour.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th April 2010 at 12:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:28   #15
BHPian

First, Congrats on your new car! You are going to be pampered by the brilliant ride and driving dynamics of the car! After this you'll expect much more from your next car in terms of handling and dynamics :-) - After a year plonk a pete's and have even more fun. At this price it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a more VFM car - Ford's 1.4 TDCi engine is gem with almost no perceivable lag. Also, I've heard that this is the only engine in a car priced south of 10L to have piezo-electric injectors.

Btw, I picked up a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI from the same place 5 years ago! It is still going strong :-) - I could immediately identify the place!

Have lots of fun driving!

Most Viewed