Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 16:22   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
The Figo weighs 20 kilos less than the Fiesta. Thats what someone(reputed) said on the main thread. I think it was Mustang.
I am gonna check it again this week, will post the updates, hope the new tyre improves the efficiency.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:22   #107
Senior - BHPian

If its a difference of just 20 kilos, then you can't expect it to give better FE than the Fiesta unless there is some difference in gear ratios and ECU mappings to aid FE.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:25   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If its a difference of just 20 kilos, then you can't expect it to give better FE than the Fiesta unless there is some difference in gear ratios and ECU mappings to aid FE.
Well then atleast it should return FE figures similar to that of a Fiesta TdCi right??
Old 30th April 2010, 16:30   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Well then atleast it should return FE figures similar to that of a Fiesta TdCi right??
Yes it should, provided they haven't played around with the gear ratios and ECU maps. A weight difference of 20 kg will have a very negligible impact on FE. The air pressure in your tyres will have a greater impact than that 20 kg weight.

I was being bombarded by a few fellow bhpians when I was talking and the petrol Figo's FE being on the lower side, so I left it at that, knowing fully that the ghost come out of the closet soon enough(ie the owners would speak up soon). That said, I never expected the TDCi to come out with such bad numbers. To be fair to Ford, I think we need to get some mileage on the engines (at least 5000 km) before we come to a proper conclusion regarding FE.

If we are used to petrol engined cars, the driving style is different for diesels and that too could have a negative impact on FE. You need to ride the torque wave here. No use in pushing up the rpm beyond 3.5k . This too is on the higher side. Best is to upshift around 2700 rpm. FE also takes a hit in bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited by longhorn : 30th April 2010 at 16:42.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:41   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I am quite surprised as the same TDCI engine is being used in the Fiesta which is a bigger car and weighs more is more fuel efficient than the FIGO. This defies all logic

Mustang or any one else can tell, have they made changes to the engine configuration to keep the cost low ?
Fiesta indeed renders better mileage than "so far" Figo figures. Even if we do not compare with IKON or Fiesta, is 12~14 kpl (100% in city) justified from a proven TDCi engine doing service into a 1130 kg hatch?
Old 30th April 2010, 16:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Yes it should, provided they haven't played around with the gear ratios and ECU maps. A weight difference of 20 kg will have a very negligible impact on FE. The air pressure in your tyres will have a greater impact than that 20 kg weight.

I was being bombarded by a few fellow bhpians when I was talking and the petrol Figo's FE being on the lower side, so I left it at that, knowing fully that the ghost come out of the closet soon enough(ie the owners would speak up soon). That said, I never expected the TDCi to come out with such bad numbers. To be fair to Ford, I think we need to get some mileage on the engines (at least 5000 km) before we come to a proper conclusion regarding FE.

If we are used to petrol engined cars, the driving style is different for diesels and that too could have a negative impact on FE. You need to ride the torque wave here. No use in pushing up the rpm beyond 3.5k . This too is on the higher side. Best is to upshift around 2700 rpm. FE also takes a hit in bumper to bumper traffic.
I agree to every word, i am new to diesel, however i follow the basic rule book to diesel.

Maintain the engine speed below 2700, upshift around 2200-2500 and hope it starts giving better FE with more numbers on the odo. also will take her to the highway and check.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:06   #112
BHPian

For a new vehicle, I think the RPM should not cross 2000. And yes, upshift beyond 2000. That way it "almost" rides like a Petrol.

Next time round, I'll ask Ford to include this in the "Driving Skills for Life" program.

Quote:
I agree to every word, i am new to diesel, however i follow the basic rule book to diesel.

Maintain the engine speed below 2700, upshift around 2200-2500 and hope it starts giving better FE with more numbers on the odo. also will take her to the highway and check.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:16   #113
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Longhorn,scorpio, brix are all correct in their views. My doubt is whether we need to look into rpm's while shifting gears. Is it not right to upshift early but without lugging the engine. - Need experts views on this.
When I drove indica first time it returned poor FE on a onward travel in a highway. During the return I did not pedal it sudden and harsh but able to maintain 90km/h throughout and got 20.5km/l.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:46   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
For a new vehicle, I think the RPM should not cross 2000. And yes, upshift beyond 2000. That way it "almost" rides like a Petrol.

Next time round, I'll ask Ford to include this in the "Driving Skills for Life" program.
I used to change gears below 2k but then suggestion from other diesel owners made me change the driving style. The idea is if your are shifting below 2k, the rpm will go below 1.5k lugging the engine. So now i drive below 2k most of the time and push the vehicle to 2.4k and shift.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:43   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Rightly said scorpio !

Mustang did a fantastic job by giving technical information to the forum members. Now i think low Figo TDCi FE is building into big storm. I am sure with Fiesta TDCi engine every body's expectation about Figo TDCi is very high including me

Fiat Multijet/Swift DDiS are proven engines, and so i thought Fiesta TDCi was. But now looking at the number of people raising concerns, I am wondering if the Ford engineers did something "special" to the TDCi before putting it onto the Figo ? Ford are you listening?

Also i was told by the ford support and service centers that these TDCi engines do not need run-in. They will give you same mileage from day one !

Last edited by Yamaha100 : 1st May 2010 at 13:46.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:19   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
Rightly said scorpio !

Mustang did a fantastic job by giving technical information to the forum members. Now i think low Figo TDCi FE is building into big storm. I am sure with Fiesta TDCi engine every body's expectation about Figo TDCi is very high including me

Fiat Multijet/Swift DDiS are proven engines, and so i thought Fiesta TDCi was. But now looking at the number of people raising concerns, I am wondering if the Ford engineers did something "special" to the TDCi before putting it onto the Figo ? Ford are you listening?

Also i was told by the ford support and service centers that these TDCi engines do not need run-in. They will give you same mileage from day one !
well to be honest, Fiesta engine pedigree is the reason for me choosing Figo, was hoping to get a similar mileage, hence did not go for a petrol. Hope my choice is not a wrong one, but again, i would wait for atleast 3 more tank fills before deciding on the FE.
Old 2nd May 2010, 00:18   #117
BHPian

Great report. I'm still confused about the mileage figures!
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:14   #118
BHPian

Quote:
well to be honest, Fiesta engine pedigree is the reason for me choosing Figo, was hoping to get a similar mileage, hence did not go for a petrol. Hope my choice is not a wrong one, but again, i would wait for atleast 3 more tank fills before deciding on the FE.
scorpio, for my usage petrol was sufficient, but fiesta TDCi reviews were so great that i bought a figo TDCi !

Time will tell how good/bad our decision was. I sincerely hope Figo TDCi will give same/better FE than Fiesta. If not Ford is in trouble, it would imply that ford has used some cheaps replacements inside the TDCi while plonking it onto the Figo. If Figo TDCi gives 2 kmpl less than Fiesta under similar conditions, Figo will see an early demise.
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:37   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
My doubt is whether we need to look into rpm's while shifting gears. Is it not right to upshift early but without lugging the engine. - Need experts views on this.
I need some tips from the proud Figo owners here regardind driving the diesel Figo, as this will be my first diesel car, so concepts like turbo, lag, lugging, torque, and when to shift gears are rather alien to me. I'd love to get the best from my Figo both in terms of fun, and fuel economy!
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:53   #120
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to change gears below 2k but then suggestion from other diesel owners made me change the driving style. The idea is if your are shifting below 2k, the rpm will go below 1.5k lugging the engine. So now i drive below 2k most of the time and push the vehicle to 2.4k and shift.
Quote:
Rightly said scorpio !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Great report. I'm still confused about the mileage figures!
Quote:
scorpio, for my usage petrol was sufficient, but fiesta TDCi reviews were so great that i bought a figo TDCi !

Time will tell how good/bad our decision was. I sincerely hope Figo TDCi will give same/better FE than Fiesta. If not Ford is in trouble, it would imply that ford has used some cheaps replacements inside the TDCi while plonking it onto the Figo. If Figo TDCi gives 2 kmpl less than Fiesta under similar conditions, Figo will see an early demise.
All absolutely correct. This inconsistent poor mileage figures creates jittery in my mind and making me to think of cancellation of my booking. But again doing a research, TD's, etc is something not to be experienced again
As said, Ford should come out if there is real problem in the areas of FE and clarify. If Figo fails in this FE test it will see its exit gate early as rightly pointed by Yamaha.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks