Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:31   #346
Senior - BHPian

My '05 Corolla has five alloys. I'm sure even the facelifted post July '05 Corolla comes with five alloys. This is more of a recent trend.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:52   #347
Senior - BHPian

Corrolla's 5th wheel is also an alloy one !!

EDIT: Mine is 2008 one.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 24th June 2010 at 10:55.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:19   #348
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata safari has 5 alloys. As do many other cars. Its not for wear, its for cost cutting that many cars do not have alloy spare wheel
Ok. Agreed that many other cars come with 5 alloys. But this does not rule out the tyre wear reason. That is definitely the main reason. Cost cutting is also an important reason but IMHO not the primary. A trend i observed is, all the German cars comes with steel wheels for spare (Skoda, Merc, VW etc.)

The idea behind the wear out principle is: when you switch a flat tyre with a stepney, if it's an alloy then you'll get your flat tyre repaired and put it in the boot. So, a new tyre/relatively unused (stepney) replaces a relatively more worn out tyre. (Why would you care to switch tyres again after repairing the puncture?)
If your spare is a steel wheel, you'll get puncture repaired and put the spare/stepney in the boot and use your original tyre back. Now, relatively unused is back in the boot and all the tyres fitted have similar worn out patterns.
But this is just my understanding, may not be the fact.

Last edited by Akki_5 : 24th June 2010 at 14:21.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:51   #349
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Ok. Agreed that many other cars come with 5 alloys. But this does not rule out the tyre wear reason. That is definitely the main reason. Cost cutting is also an important reason but IMHO not the primary. A trend i observed is, all the German cars comes with steel wheels for spare (Skoda, Merc, VW etc.)

The idea behind the wear out principle is: when you switch a flat tyre with a stepney, if it's an alloy then you'll get your flat tyre repaired and put it in the boot. So, a new tyre/relatively unused (stepney) replaces a relatively more worn out tyre. (Why would you care to switch tyres again after repairing the puncture?)
If your spare is a steel wheel, you'll get puncture repaired and put the spare/stepney in the boot and use your original tyre back. Now, relatively unused is back in the boot and all the tyres fitted have similar worn out patterns.
But this is just my understanding, may not be the fact.
Not true. If all 5 wheels are identical, you should be doing a 5-tyre rotation instead of a 4-tyre rotation so that wear is similiar on all 5 tyres.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

Providing a different 5th wheel is plain cost cutting.
Cars sold in the US(even the Japanese ones) go one step further. They come with a donut spare wheel/tyre instead of a regular one.
http://autos.aol.com/article/donut-spare-tire/

Last edited by carboy : 24th June 2010 at 16:55.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:24   #350
BHPian

Car = SUPERB (pun intended)

Review = SUPERB

Car Driver = SUPERB

Have fun with the Superb, Sam. I am sure it offers more value than the money it demands. We look forward to your next review.
Old 26th June 2010, 21:44   #351
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not true. If all 5 wheels are identical, you should be doing a 5-tyre rotation instead of a 4-tyre rotation so that wear is similiar on all 5 tyres.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

Providing a different 5th wheel is plain cost cutting.
Cars sold in the US(even the Japanese ones) go one step further. They come with a donut spare wheel/tyre instead of a regular one.
How Long Can You Drive On a ?Donut? Spare Tire?
Oh ok. My bad. I didn't know that. Thanks for the link.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:09   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

The boot opens on its own before I reach the button and the lid swings open slowly all the way, allowing me to place my stuff in.

Drama!

As I turn, very surprised to look towards Akbar, I can see both the watchmen giggling like little girls as Akbar beams, proud of what he discovered.
Apparently you can open the boot lid remotely, in style.
Impressive. Most impressive.

Utna hi thoda! Aur bhi bahut kucch hai remote mein!
Really,
I find myself speaking excitedly.
Haan yeh dekho.

This is a cool car!
Interestingly, the Ford Figo has this bootopener button on their remote lock key.
On another note, amazingly humane car purchase write up Sam.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:29   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheory View Post
Interestingly, the Ford Figo has this bootopener button on their remote lock key.
On another note, amazingly humane car purchase write up Sam.
So does the i20. But as far as I remember, the button on the figo only unlocks the boot. The button on the superb actually opens the boot, ie you dont need to touch anything, you just load stuff inside.. the boot opens upwards automatically.

This is more commonly found in sedans. The 2004 accord had this, but the civic does not.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:53   #354
BHPian

Sam the tyre thing is common to NCT-5's. I have the exact same issue with mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1958462
Old 29th June 2010, 14:23   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam- The spare is not alloy. Regret the delay in responding but it was only yesterday that I realized after I had to physically change the tyres coz my Primacy LC's tore !
Old 29th June 2010, 14:26   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
So does the i20. But as far as I remember, the button on the figo only unlocks the boot. The button on the superb actually opens the boot, ie you dont need to touch anything, you just load stuff inside.. the boot opens upwards automatically.

This is more commonly found in sedans. The 2004 accord had this, but the civic does not.
Spot on. In the superb the entire boot lid actually opens up fully while you approach the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Sam the tyre thing is common to NCT-5's. I have the exact same issue with mine.
So the Goodyear NCT-5 is a crappy tyre?
Old 29th June 2010, 14:27   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post

You're right. It's just that it's good to see such allegedly premium features slowly finding their way down the "value" chain in a humble Figo. Though my ANHC still does not give me basics like mudflaps and I had to actually fight to get it at no additional cost!
Old 29th June 2010, 15:41   #358
BHPian

I am still running stock tyres on my superb after 13.5k kms. No issues as yet. Did a 1000km road trip last weekend.. tyres behaved well.

Personally I dont find it an issue.. maybe you guys are not maintaining the correct air pressure? Note that the sticker on the drivers door says 32/33 but I maintain 31, and make sure I dont go lower than 30. I try to get my tyres checked everytime I tank up... or atleast once in a week.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:45   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

So the Goodyear NCT-5 is a crappy tyre?
Yes it is a crappy tyre.
Old 18th July 2010, 08:08   #360
BHPian

Sorry for posting here so late.
Lovely reading another of the Yeti's tales, as usual- comments from everyone else too included.

The part where the Honda loses out on points from the Yeti and where some pals comment 'it's not worth the price' was quite funny.
If it were to be compiled and needed a title, maybe i could call it-
"When Honda got the dandaa"
Honda has immense fan following in India and almost every other car i see these days, especially in Bandra may be a Civic.
They keep releasing revisions with added bling, which somehow seems to fetch their cars added brownie points from prospective buyers.
But having to shell out much more for the usual, just cause it's a "Honda" and only because social acceptance is very high on them is something that is not so endearing about them to me.

Faults may happen- they may get rectified or maybe even not at times.
But lack of proper training/service at an authorised dealership is totally undesirable.
Passionate about automobiles or not, most vehicle owners approach auth. dealerships/workshops hoping for some peace of mind w.r.t. use of genuine spares and/or technically sound worksmanship.
While i was fond of the budget-scorcher VRs and the Superb always seemed superb since inception, i grew a dislike for Skoda in India after the company didn't reprimand the errant dealership.
There is no guarantee that there won't be truant dealerships/workshops, taking the ignorant for a ride but a company/manufacturer cannot, should not and and must not turn a blind eye to such happenings.
I hope the higher officials at Skoda India realise this sooner than later.

Last edited by BIKeINSTEIN : 18th July 2010 at 08:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks