Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 00:14   #286
BHPian

congrats

Hey Sam,Congrats for the new ride she is simply uperb.Uperb because someone stole S from my Superb few months back.I own a silver 2.0Tdi Superbo for more than a year now and she is doing Fab.Drive safe
Old 4th June 2010, 03:46   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Err...I was under the impression that bigamy was illegal in India.
And it is. The Yeti is still unmarried.

My deepest apologies for making all of you wait. To take away any suspense, all is well, the car is awesome and still surprising me now and then.
2300 kms later, still glad about a great choice.

A review with some fun will continue on Monday. I beg for your patience until then.
Old 4th June 2010, 03:49   #288
Senior - BHPian

@Sam

It would be nice if you were to update your garage.
Old 4th June 2010, 06:32   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And it is. The Yeti is still unmarried.
My bad. Apologies.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:20   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

The Skoda Superb - more experiences

It's both strange and weird. Every day I'm falling in love with the car.

What most people don't know is that I hate dirty cars. The Skoda Superb is a very difficult car to keep clean.
With it ultra-light beige interior, fingerprints show like crazy! Which is perfectly alright if you drive yourself. But if you intend to leave your driver in the car all day, he can either spend all day in the car with the window down or he spends the day outside the car, maybe sitting next to it, scratching himself, or having chai at the bhatts and hanging out with all the watchmen before he enters the car and getting fingermarks everywhere.

Akbar knows I hate this, which is why he spends at least an hour a day cleaning up the car.

He amazes me every now and then with his understanding of how the car works.

One day I was approaching the car with some stuff in my hand. Bags and stuff. I like putting my bags and stuff in the boot, not inside the car all over the place - that's untidy.
And so there I am approaching the car. Akbar is like 50 metres away hanging out with the watchmen, like he usually does.

It's normal, the watchmen nudge him saab aaya and usually he sprints over to the car, unlocking it as he sprints so I can reach over and press the button that opens the boot.

But not today.

He grins and looks at me as I approach the car pointing the remote in a dramatic way.
I look at him from the corner of my eye as I make the left turn towards the boot. I expect he'll beep the car unlocked just before I reach the boot.

The boot opens on its own before I reach the button and the lid swings open slowly all the way, allowing me to place my stuff in.

Drama!

As I turn, very surprised to look towards Akbar, I can see both the watchmen giggling like little girls as Akbar beams, proud of what he discovered.
Apparently you can open the boot lid remotely, in style.
Impressive. Most impressive.

Utna hi thoda! Aur bhi bahut kucch hai remote mein!
Really,
I find myself speaking excitedly.
Haan yeh dekho.

He can roll all the windows down together and roll them up too. All this without getting close to the car!

This is a cool car!
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 22:41   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

The MFD and other buttons

I like this multi-function display thing.

The YetiŽ writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb)-dsc_6831_l.jpg

The YetiŽ writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb)-dsc_6829_l.jpg

It shows everything. Which is cool. I like to know everything.
  • I can see what speed I am doing, digitally (in addition to the needle)
  • I can see the outside temperature
  • I can see the temperature of the oil
  • I can see how much time it has been since I last started the car
  • I can see what average I'm getting as I drive. I can choose 4 different methods...
I'm going to take a break here. Talking about average. It's simple in India.

What average do you get?
10 or 12 in the city, 15 on the highway.

No, I'm not talking about my car. The average of my car is a joke. Like 6 in the city. I'm going to eco-hell. I'm almost singularly responsible for the oil-deficit.

Coming back to average. It's simple in India.

But that's not how Jenny or my other German friends count average. Their cars give 10 in the city, but about 8 on the highway!
Come again? Your car's average gets lower on the highway?
YEAH! I'm trying to take it down to 7!

If you're confused, don't feel bad. Apparently the way to count car averages in Europe is to count how many litres of petrol the car consumes to complete 100 kms.
Ergo, an average of 5 in Europe, means 20 kmpl in our lingo. Of course the car does this or that or miles per gallon and all that rubbish. Cool.

Now to return to the car:
  • I can see the name of the song playing with artist on this screen.
  • I can see what lights are on and what are off.
  • Of course, I can see what doors are open etc.
  • I can set how long I want the lights on when I'm coming home, or leaving home, what lights I want on and more.
  • I can set warning speeds, chimes, buzzers and more.
  • I can see what average I have got since I bought the car
  • I can see how much fuel I've consumed since I started the car this morning
  • I can see how many kms I can drive for until I need to refuel
  • I can see when my car was serviced last and when it needs to be serviced.
  • I can set and reset everything!!
I can even set the intensity of illumination for all the dials and needles and this setting works across the car - from the head unit to the rear information display.

So that's the MFD.

There are buttons near the auto gear shaft. Those have new and exciting crap.

For example, there is a tyre button. Once it's set, if any tyre has less air or a flat, I hear a warning.
There's a button that allows me to switch off the traction control EPS, ESP whatever it's called.
There's a button that allows me to switch on the audible and visual parktronic. Why do I need that? Well the parktronic usually switches on when the car is put in reverse. However if you're parking forward first, you need to switch on the parktronic.

The parktronic is pretty accurate by the way. It has 8 zones and the audible beep comes from the front or rear, left or right, depending on where the obstacles are.
Those with parktronic sensors may scoff at my naivety, but I;ve actually parked with these sensors before and THIS is sensitive, accurate and having 8 zones around the car is a lot cooler than just a stupid beep that tells you that something or someone is getting close.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:53   #292
BHPian

Good to see that the Yeti is finally updating the thread after a long period of time. You really seem to enjoy the Superb very much. Keep us posted whenever you discover more such afore-mentioned features. Enjoy.
Quote:
As I turn, very surprised to look towards Akbar, I can see both the watchmen giggling like little girls as Akbar beams, proud of what he discovered.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:58   #293
BHPian

Sam, I can see that you've fiddled around with the MID. I hope you found the setting that tells you the "average" in kmpl. It's quite a hassle to calculate everytime.

Also, I can tell you one thing, that this car "CAN" be driven frugally if you want to. It's tough (since you dont realize how hard you're accelerating with even a feathertouch), but it can be done. To give you proof, I present you the following image that was taken after a 20km+ drive in PEAK MUMBAI TRAFFIC. The route was breach candy to andheri east.. at 10 AM. (Yes, this is average fuel consumption, not the instantaneous fuel consumption that the MID also displays)
Attached Thumbnails
The YetiŽ writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb)-img_0444.jpg  

Old 8th June 2010, 23:10   #294
BHPian

Hey Sam, You are thoroughly enjoying your car. Hope this car keeps up to your passion.

Why are you writing so nicely Sam, you are making me be attracted to the Skoda cars.
Hopefully the skoda people should not see this thread, else they may use it for their advertising.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:29   #295
BHPian

Congrats on the car Sam !! hope you continue enjoying it just as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
To give you proof, I present you the following image that was taken after a 20km+ drive in PEAK MUMBAI TRAFFIC. The route was breach candy to andheri east.. at 10 AM. (Yes, this is average fuel consumption, not the instantaneous fuel consumption that the MID also displays)

Wow !! that is an insane average. How did you manage to get the car to display consumption in Km/L and lot L/100Km? I'd like to set my Laura TSI to display this as well.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:07   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

Wow !! that is an insane average. How did you manage to get the car to display consumption in Km/L and lot L/100Km? I'd like to set my Laura TSI to display this as well.
Well that's kind of easy. Stop the car and go to setup. Then go to units/calibration I think. And then to fuel average and there you have different choices.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:24   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, your FE will improve over the next few hundred or thousand kms. I get around 7.5-8kmpl in city traffic with AC.

I must add you got lucky,I love the steering on our Superb, especially the buldge on the curves that make it feel sporty and grip well. Skoda has now made the blunder of discontinuing this steering and fitting a similar design 4 spoke one minus the buldge.

Their latest AD in the ACI had mentioned of this new steering and I verified it by reading the test of the manual Superb in the mag which had the new steering.

Btw, any luck on the bluetooth component?
Old 9th June 2010, 14:35   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Well that's kind of easy. Stop the car and go to setup. Then go to units/calibration I think. And then to fuel average and there you have different choices.

hmm...I can't seem to be able to access it using my Laura MFD. Need to delve into this some more.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:16   #299
BHPian

ok it's official!!

this is the worst thread to read in office!!

started off somewhere in the afternoon, the desk has been piled up with things to be signed without me even giving them a single look.
the entire day WASTED!!! grrr@sam
Old 9th June 2010, 18:40   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I must add you got lucky,I love the steering on our Superb, especially the buldge on the curves that make it feel sporty and grip well. Skoda has now made the blunder of discontinuing this steering and fitting a similar design 4 spoke one minus the buldge.

Their latest AD in the ACI had mentioned of this new steering and I verified it by reading the test of the manual Superb in the mag which had the new steering.
The 4 spoke wheel is only available on the MT, the AT still has the great 3 spoke unit.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks