Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 19:46   #211
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that the a/c meets your expectations Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Unlike every typical Indian car whose airconditioning is either as low as it can go (If they could turn it even further left, they would) or off.
I keep adjusting the temperature knob as per required temp in my Alto but yes most of the guys dont bother, they only adjust the fan speed.
Old 15th May 2010, 20:28   #212
BHPian

Quote:
I used to keep my thermostat controls (on my previous cars) at about 9'oclock on the dial. Unlike every typical Indian car whose airconditioning is either as low as it can go (If they could turn it even further left, they would) or off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Good to know that the a/c meets your expectations Sam
I keep adjusting the temperature knob as per required temp in my Alto but yes most of the guys dont bother, they only adjust the fan speed.
Guys actually the reason why generally people adjust only the fan speed is because in non climate controlled AC setups, what we think of as thermostat control is actually nothing but a rotary nob that moves the flap that regulate the air flow between the cool air from the cooling coil (cooled by the Compressor) and the hot air from the hot coil (coolant from the engine cooling system circulates through it) to the air vents on our dash. It basically switches between hot and cold air from two above sources. Therefore, using this nob to control the temp inside the car will not be as efficient as compared to slowing the airflow using the fan speed control. This is because slowing the fan will trip the compress when the duct air temp reaches a particular point but it will not trip if the temp does not drop because of the hot air getting mixed. This is why I do not touch the temp nob in summers.

In climate controlled AC setup its a different story and it indeed is a thermostat control.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 15th May 2010, 21:45   #213
Team-BHP Support

Sam: Sorry for the very basic question but does the music system come with a remote control (either hand held or built into the rear arm rest or something). I remember considering the Laura briefly when I bought my civic and I found it immensely annoying that such high end cars like Laura could come with no rear remote whatsoever.
Old 15th May 2010, 22:02   #214
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sir Yeti. Any plans to JBLfy it?
Old 15th May 2010, 22:16   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Perhaps this requires additional explanation. I never drive without the AC on, I find the outside too dusty and noisy. However I like the inside of my car to be at 23 or 24 degrees, not freezing.

I have no film, nothing.
I too keep the temp near 23-24 deg in the evening. Otherwise I am freezing. his maybe because I do not travel in Mid-day. Home to office is before 9am and Office to home is after 6pm.

and I find sunfilm affects my peripheral vision at night and during the monsoons.

Quote:
I need to opt for some kind of high-security device to keep Mr. Navin Advani away from my MS-8.
Glad to see you are taking my intentions seriosuly but what kinda security system you think will keep a guy lived in Brooklyn and LA out of a car? I have not forgotten CCTB yet!

On a more serious note, Sam it would make a lot more sense to install a custom fiberglass-ply box with a seriously decent sub like the 120.9?. The Basslink was a great product in 2001-2005 when it was probably the best compact powered sub out there. But the game changes every 5-7 years and the game has changed.

Also if you are installing the MS-8 it mkes a lot of sense to upgrade the OEM speakers too. THe MS-8 is overkill if you are just going to use it for TA.

If I were you Sam I'd use all my tricks. I would be thinking a custom loudspeaker set based on Revel home audio drivers. The drivers used in the Ultima Gem for example can be perfectly adapted for the Superb's front speakes (Viddy claims the Superb has 3 way in the front). There will be a few modifications ofcourse but nothing that the team of experts you have around you cannot handle.
Old 15th May 2010, 22:17   #216
BHPian

Sam - The windshield mist issue can be sorted out by autobahn in 20 min.
Old 15th May 2010, 22:18   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Sam - The windshield mist issue can be sorted out by autobahn in 20 min.
My car has visited Autobahn 3 times and they claim there is no solution. The mist that form on the front center of the windscreen is most disturbing.
Old 15th May 2010, 22:30   #218
Senior - BHPian

@Sam

Why should the windshield be misting ?? We have high humidity levels in Delhi as well, as high as 85% at times. But I have never had a problem with misting, though the Octavia's A/C is not a mean chiller. I also use the thermostat to a comfortable level & that does the trick.It is NOT climatronic, it is the manual type.

Anyways I guess the Superb is unique coz in my Audi also, I have never had a problem of misting per se. That has a climatronic system, works brilliantly.

I guess it is just one of the glitches the mechanics at dealerships were not taught by the book (in training)

Anyway nice to know that you are enjoying your car. Especially the umbrella, what colour is it ??

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 15th May 2010 at 22:32.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:28   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My car has visited Autobahn 3 times and they claim there is no solution. The mist that form on the front center of the windscreen is most disturbing.
:-) There is a solution. That is to turn the air flow direction to the windscreen and put it on heater mode. It solves the misting problem and also gives you a reason to turn your ac on full mode again. Something to do while you wait for the bullock cart guy in front of you to finish waiting for the bull to finish its job in the middle of the road before grunting on with its load.
Old 16th May 2010, 02:03   #220
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My Laura had the same problem. AutoBahn fixed it and it lasted well for a few months. They said they just fixed a flap which was not closing properly and was leaking air towards the windscreen. However, the misting does come back now (my car completes a year next month) but not very often. Also, it is very less relative to how it was earlier. I guess you should talk to them again, Navin.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:07   #221
BHPian

Quote:
I have been reading around the forum about people complaining about the air conditioning on the superb.
Here is my review of the AC.

It's lovely.
The A/C serves the front very well but I am not too sure about the rear. On a typical North Indian summer day, the a/c will have to be at a low temperature with fans in almost full swing to cool the rear for real comfort value. This is my initial opinion as I have yet to sit in the rear of the Superb and travel some distance. Also, the manual boasts of a/c vents below the front seats but there are none -- only those on the pillars.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th May 2010 at 10:39. Reason: Please don't quote an entire long post. Hampers readability for mobile users. Thanks
Old 16th May 2010, 14:05   #222
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Also, the manual boasts of a/c vents below the front seats but there are none -- only those on the pillars.
There are AC vents under the front seats of the Laura. I am not sure about the Superb.
Old 16th May 2010, 15:04   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
There are AC vents under the front seats of the Laura. I am not sure about the Superb.
Yes they are there under each seat.

Quote:
The A/C serves the front very well but I am not too sure about the rear. On a typical North Indian summer day, the a/c will have to be at a low temperature with fans in almost full swing to cool the rear for real comfort value. This is my initial opinion as I have yet to sit in the rear of the Superb and travel some distance. Also, the manual boasts of a/c vents below the front seats but there are none -- only those on the pillars.
I usually take the rear seat and recently did a 550+ km long trip during the day time. These days I usually see the outside temp to be between 42 to even 47.5 !!. However the funny thing I have realized is A/C works best when:

a. It is really *hot* outside (call me nuts .. but this is what I "felt")
b. You are doing some really good speeds (say 160+)

Damn I felt like being chilled to bones during this trip where both of the above were true eventhough the temp was set at 20C where I keep it usually in Superb during daytime these days.

Me thinks that climatronic gets confused in moderate conditions.
Old 16th May 2010, 16:00   #224
Senior - BHPian

have been following up the thread.

Sam, can we have some more pictures of the delivery day ?

Umbrella thing is a new thing which I learnt through this thread.

Am glued.
Old 16th May 2010, 17:16   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the manual boasts of a/c vents below the front seats but there are none -- only those on the pillars.
I correct myself. There are a/c vents under the front seats. I didn't spot them as these are behind the lounge step.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 16th May 2010 at 17:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks