Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 13:39   #91
BHPian

Superb wirte up Sam! I am eagery pressing F5 all them time to continue this story.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:40   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

If you had your car cleaned, checked and serviced every single day by a trained, well-paid professional, highly-educated engineer, choosing to replace parts that are even marginally worn-out, cost no bar - you too would have minimum failure on any machine.

Awesome logic Sam!! Irrefutable.
Congrats on the Skoda. They make lovely cars. Enjoy!
Old 12th May 2010, 13:42   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Now - back to my story.
Please... Lets stick to the story and complete the Skoda A.S.S discussion is ruining the Story Day
Old 12th May 2010, 13:43   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....when he told me that the umbrella was part of the car, I called him back and got the price of the Skoda Superb Petrol with maximum level of trim.
Very interesting write-up as always Sam !!
So, finally an umbrella helped you to chose a car ? (not ignoring NC's influence !!)
Photographs are life of your threads, here its missing big time.

Last edited by shajufx : 12th May 2010 at 13:44.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sam, you are one story teller. Absolutely love the anticipation and climax that churns out of your posts! You just added another fan to the list! And congratulation on the Superb.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

Another superb Yetiblog

after countless F5s, realizes that sam must be having his lunch, and I left for lunch, hoping and praying secretly that by the time I am back, I will get the next chapter of the story!

now, the game continues - the wait and F5s...
Old 12th May 2010, 14:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Great Story as usual. Let the car accompany on many more interesting stories.
(We can leave the over-engineered, failure items for other threads)
Old 12th May 2010, 14:19   #98
BHPian

No doubt you always have a feather on cap when it comes to jotting down your thoughts.

I seriously pray god that your SUPERB should be of "Wine Red" color. I love that & simply different from others. Awating for the Pics.
Fingers crossed!!
Old 12th May 2010, 14:26   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Rohan,

Thank you, but I think you have caught the bull by its private parts.
I think you have misunderstood my usage of the line.

It doesn't matter what you pay for a machine - old, new, Porsche or Singer. IT WILL FAIL. It is the time frame before and between failures that will determine if is reliable or not.

But this is irrelevant rambling. I hope you understand that my viewpoint on any machine (20 lacs or 20 rupees) is that it will fail, no matter what it is built to do. It is how long it runs WITHOUT failing that makes it a good machine or not.
I think you are tryin to rationalize with Rohan, which is not required.

Rohan, there are certain things in life that place more importance to listening to heart than mind.
And if your heart says yes, no matter what minds says of thinks, its better to go with heart.

Ultimately happniness and joy and enthusiasm is felt by heart, not mind.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:28   #100
BHPian

Sam you suck big time man. You are taller than me, write better than me and are prolly having more fun than me :-). Keep it up though, as I pound my head and chew at the chains and pillars that make me decide between Boleros and Scorpios. How I wish I could like a car like a normal person...but carry on Sam you be da man.

Chaunfa
Old 12th May 2010, 14:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, but I think you have caught the bull by its private parts.
I think you have misunderstood my usage of the line.

If you had your car cleaned, checked and serviced every single day by a trained, well-paid professional, highly-educated engineer, choosing to replace parts that are even marginally worn-out, cost no bar - you too would have minimum failure on any machine.

But this is irrelevant rambling. I hope you understand that my viewpoint on any machine (20 lacs or 20 rupees) is that it will fail, no matter what it is built to do. It is how long it runs WITHOUT failing that makes it a good machine or not.
OK, I get your point of view now.

But I would like to tease the bull a little bit more.

So you agree that more components make a machine more prone to failure. And the airlines accept this fact and they do daily servicing and preventive maintenance of their aircrafts to avoid failures.

But the European car manufacturers build machines with more number of components, hence making the machine more prone to failures. But they are selling us these failure prone machines and are not doing more frequent servicing and preventive maintenance (as compared to a car that uses less technology and hence requires less servicing).

So basically the customer is being fooled into buying what he thinks is a robust and dependable car, whereas the actually car is failure prone. And the car company is making no extra effort to ensure reliability of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Rohan, there are certain things in life that place more importance to listening to heart than mind.

And if your heart says yes, no matter what minds says of thinks, its better to go with heart.

Ultimately happniness and joy and enthusiasm is felt by heart, not mind.
I can understand that there are people who listen more to their heart.

I just had a different point of view on machines as compared to that of Sam. But I'm sure he has taken it in the right spirit.

I am not trying to question his choice of car. Also, I would not like to spoil the fun he is having with his new car and the fun which people are having on this thread.

I hope Yeti would forgive my off topic ramblings.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 12th May 2010 at 14:39.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:32   #102
BHPian

I guess Sam has gone for a good luxurious drive in the Superb !! Let's hope he comes back inspired to write some more episodes
Old 12th May 2010, 14:41   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

It was a great experience reading this thread. It was as if I finished watching a very interesting movie over a day and a half

Superb writing skills
Old 12th May 2010, 14:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
OK, I get your point of view now.
maintenance of their aircrafts to avoid failures.

But the European car manufacturers build machines with more number of components, hence making the machine more prone to failures. But they are selling us these failure prone machines and are not doing more frequent servicing and preventive maintenance (as compared to a car that uses less technology and hence requires less servicing).

So basically the customer is being fooled into buying what he thinks is a robust and dependable car, whereas the actually car is failure prone. And the car company is making no extra effort to ensure reliability of the product.

Rohan
Being engineers we should know that over-engineered machines should fail less not more. They could however cost more.
Why would you use more components to make a machine that would end up less reliable? That would be a design failure.
The failures that happen in Skodas are generic things and not something hi-tech or complicated ones. But they cost a bomb ! So basically they make components that are complicated without need and charge more.

Sorry Sam. If you were writing more, we would just shut up and enjoy.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:54   #105
Team-BHP Support

7 pages and all we got is the performa invoice and no car. Hurry up Sam, put some pics and write the review.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed