Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 16:14   #541
BHPian

re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Took my Alto K10 on a fastish 320 round trip to Pondy and back. With 5 ppl and AC on at all times, the tiny thing took the mickey out of most cars on the road. The RPM at no times crossed 3000 but the smoothness of the engine and the Bridgestone S322s combined to give an awesome ride. I must say the K10 engine has impressed me mightily esp when I calculated the mileage to be around 15.6 with full AC and 5 ppl at all times.The flickable nature of the chassis and the sweet engine was best manifested while overtaking a Scorpio on a left hand bend where at 90KMPH I could feel the Scorpio driver lifting off from the gas while my little pocket monster stuck to the line like a leech.
The tyres are ok for now,but will consider Michelins later if junta votes for it bigtime. Seems I didnt lose out much by NOT buying the Beat.
Alto K10 is the new ZEN.
Amen
Old 11th August 2011, 22:35   #542
BHPian

I am contemplating buying between the k10 and the santro xing. I know both are 10+ year old designs but the car is primarily going to be for short round about's. I am more inclined on the santro as I like the ride height and the zippy drive it gives. I am yet to drive the k10 but I have driven the alto800 and I did not like it one bit. Also I do not think anyone is buying the santro on t-bhp. On a side note, does it even make sense buying any of these cars or would you guys suggest stretching the budget to get in the range of Beat or i10? Pro's and Con's Please. Thanks!
Old 12th August 2011, 09:38   #543
Senior - BHPian

^^Test drive the K 10. I don't think the Santro can come close on the "zip" part. If you want easier ingress/egress, the Santro it should be.

The K 10 has the newest engine. What the Santro comes with is an upgraded version of the old engine.

If one can stretch his budget, there is always a better car, irrespective of segment! If what you want is point A to point B transportation, with a bit of fun thrown in, either of these will do. But on the fun part, I have seen even the stock K 10, in the hands of the right driver, give some cars even two segments higher a run for their money.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 10:55   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Test drive the K 10. I don't think the Santro can come close on the "zip" part. If you want easier ingress/egress, the Santro it should be.

The K 10 has the newest engine. What the Santro comes with is an upgraded version of the old engine.

If one can stretch his budget, there is always a better car, irrespective of segment! If what you want is point A to point B transportation, with a bit of fun thrown in, either of these will do. But on the fun part, I have seen even the stock K 10, in the hands of the right driver, give some cars even two segments higher a run for their money.
The K10 is good if you rev a bit; its d e a d on low rpm. Santro is the undisputed city car; ingress/gearing/space/material quality and now lpg.

And even with a air intake and removal of catcon didnt help the K10 I drove better its low end torque issue.
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 16:08   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Thanks Gansan!
I am planning to go take a test drive of the k10, By what reviews I have read I think I am going to enjoy it. But as the car will be ONLY for city use and will be 90% be used by my sister I am still inclined on the Santro. When I drove the santro last I loved the light steering and the ride height. Let's see, I will keep updating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The K10 is good if you rev a bit; its d e a d on low rpm. Santro is the undisputed city car; ingress/gearing/space/material quality and now lpg.

And even with a air intake and removal of catcon didnt help the K10 I drove better its low end torque issue.
Thanks jkdas for the inputs. I am getting more convinced on the Santro! Deterrent being that the santro's are the new Black&Yellow taxis in Mumbai.

This will be a third car so I think it does make sense to go for the Santro! In case anymore pro's con'c bhp'ians please do share.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:46   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
Took my Alto K10 on a fastish 320 round trip to Pondy and back. With 5 ppl and AC on at all times, the tiny thing took the mickey out of most cars on the road. The RPM at no times crossed 3000 but the smoothness of the engine and the Bridgestone S322s combined to give an awesome ride. I must say the K10 engine has impressed me mightily esp when I calculated the mileage to be around 15.6 with full AC and 5 ppl at all times.The flickable nature of the chassis and the sweet engine was best manifested while overtaking a Scorpio on a left hand bend where at 90KMPH I could feel the Scorpio driver lifting off from the gas while my little pocket monster stuck to the line like a leech.
The tyres are ok for now,but will consider Michelins later if junta votes for it bigtime. Seems I didnt lose out much by NOT buying the Beat.
Alto K10 is the new ZEN.
Amen
I changed to Michelin on Day 1. These are excellent tyres.
The K10 engine is the best in its class. I did one Highway run and got 19+ with AC and just two of us. On highways you can easily down shift to second gear at 60 and zoom through for overtaking till 100 before shifting. You will be through before the person even realises you have passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
I am contemplating buying between the k10 and the santro xing. I know both are 10+ year old designs but the car is primarily going to be for short round about's. I am more inclined on the santro as I like the ride height and the zippy drive it gives. I am yet to drive the k10 but I have driven the alto800 and I did not like it one bit. Also I do not think anyone is buying the santro on t-bhp. On a side note, does it even make sense buying any of these cars or would you guys suggest stretching the budget to get in the range of Beat or i10? Pro's and Con's Please. Thanks!
If you like "Tall Boy" design (I do not) then Santro, else on every other count - Zip, FE and AC the K10 is much better. I use my one primarily to potter around, go to market and visit neighbours.
- It is narrow, so you can park it where others will not fit
- The AC is a dream
- FE with AC unbeatable
- The short wheel base and GC ensure that you can traverse potholes and speed breakers with aplomb, where others will scrape their bottom.
Old 15th August 2011, 15:59   #547
BHPian

What are the actual FE figures for the k10 with AC city driving? and Can someone share FE of the santro? As I mentioned I have not come across Santro owners on tbhp.
Old 15th August 2011, 18:36   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
What are the actual FE figures for the k10 with AC city driving? and Can someone share FE of the santro? As I mentioned I have not come across Santro owners on tbhp.
Here are my actual figures for Alto K10
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2402446

In b2b traffic expect any where between 11 and 13 with AC, and between 12 and 14 without AC. On highways any where between 19 with Ac and 25 without AC, driving between 90 and 110 km/h

I have no idea of the Santro FE, but from what I hear it will be at least 2-5 km/L less
Old 16th August 2011, 10:30   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

I am yet to sample the Wagon R and Estilo with K10's, but A-Star and Alto need to be shifted to 3rd if you are doing 80kmph and wish to overtake in a single lane road with opposite traffic in the same lane. Brisk progress happens post 3,500 revs.

Its good to hear the raspy engine note post 5K revs, but on highways it not really desirable to do so always. Especially if some elders are travelling.

On ghat road, its enjoyable Brake, blip, down-shift, nail it.

The 800cc F8 Alto is better in low down torque (seat of the pants feel)

Last edited by Sheel : 16th August 2011 at 10:31.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:05   #550
Senior - BHPian

Over the weekend took the alto for a drive on the Durgapur expressway.This was the first time i had driven the car at sustained high speeds.

The durgapur expressway is part of the GQ,so 4 lane smooth roads,with moderate traffic.With 4 people on board,AC on the K10 felt stable at 100kmph.At 100 the engine was just nudging 3,000 rpm.However anything over 100,110-120 i could feel the car starting to lose its composure,getting a little jittery and not confidence inspiring.NVH levels was good.Overtaking on 5 th is a bit difficult,the car takes sometime to move from 90 to 110 but still keep your foot planted down and overtaking 2 trucks one after another is easy.Or best shift down to 4th.Overall very pleased with this pocket rocket and it crossed 10,000 kms this week!

Rattles:A small one from somewhere in the dashboard,but then with monsoons and terrible condition of calcutta roads,the car has taken some beating.Highway run had given 18-20 kmpl.

Tyres:Still on J.K Tornado.

AC problem:On the highway run,the AC would conk off once in while especially after a spirited stretch of driving.This really baffled us,because one moment the cabin would be nice and cool,after say a sustained 100-110 run,suddenly we would realize the cabin has grown stuffy and hot.On inspecting the AC vents we would see that the flow of air has become very low,although the air itself is cold.Slowing down and re starting the AC,it would work normally again.After say 30 mins,the same problem would crop up.

At high speeds,the steering is not that bad.Had expected it to be floaty and loose but it weighs up pretty well.And the car is quite composed too.Overtaking massive trucks one after another,and she keeps herself planted.Long sweeping bends on the highway(flat plains) and you feel the confidence not to lift off.

Yes the K10 might be an old design but i love it.It just gives you that feeling that the car is alive,like a little rascal.Lovely sense of attachment that i dont think can be replicated with an i10.That crazy rev happy engine,nice driving position,that chuckability and compactness makes for an engaging drive.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-chota.jpg  

Last edited by avishar : 16th August 2011 at 12:22.
Old 16th August 2011, 18:14   #551
BHPian

[quote=avishar;2469019]Over the weekend took the alto for a drive on the Durgapur expressway.This was the first time i had driven the car at sustained high speeds.

At high speeds,the steering is not that bad.Had expected it to be floaty and loose but it weighs up pretty well.And the car is quite composed too.Overtaking massive trucks one after another,and she keeps herself planted.Long sweeping bends on the highway(flat plains) and you feel the confidence not to lift off.

Totally agree on this point. Overtook a Scorpio on a long sweeping bend on ECR while returning from Pondy and the way the pocket-rocket stuck to her lines and out-turned the Scorpio was amazing.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:40   #552
Senior - BHPian

Drove my father-in-law's K10 Alto to Kone falls and back. The car is great to drive, very peppy and the gearshift is good too (once you get used to it). I found its small dimensions useful in all the crowded towns on the way. Fully loaded with five adults, and AC blower set to "2" (and "3" at times), it was still peppy.

My only grouse (and others' as well) is with the seat. Very uncomfortable.
Old 17th August 2011, 20:36   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
- The short wheel base and GC ensure that you can traverse potholes and speed breakers with aplomb, where others will scrape their bottom.
The M800 is way better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
NVH levels was good.

AC problem:On the highway run,the AC would conk off once in while especially after a spirited stretch of driving.This really baffled us,because one moment the cabin would be nice and cool,after say a sustained 100-110 run,suddenly we would realize the cabin has grown stuffy and hot.On inspecting the AC vents we would see that the flow of air has become very low,although the air itself is cold.Slowing down and re starting the AC,it would work normally again.After say 30 mins,the same problem would crop up.
NVH: I find there is significant wind noise at highway speeds.

AC is most probably icing up.

@ curiosity:- The Alto K10 is a cheap cheerful drivers car. (I love redlining the engine). But not the car for everyone. The lack of LET will make it a pain in traffic. And if the driver does not really enjoy driving, then maybe other options should be explored.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 17:40   #554
BHPian

Hi Team BHP!

This is my first post and am really excited to get on board with this forum. I booked the Alto K10 Vxi (ECRU Beige) 10 days back and I got the delivery within a week. Booking was made at Sagar Auto on Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore. Staff were very courteous and the delivery met my expectations. I got mud flaps, carpets, central remote locking, perfume, idol and (Garware) sun screen films as complimentary accessories. However, I decided to get Lumar Sun film installed by paying 800 INR more. The staff at the dealership have also promised a Reebok "kit" worth 10000 Rupees which is conveniently "out of stock" at the moment

The car is mainly for my wife - to commute to and from office, and the odd weekend shopping trip - mainly for city use. As she is still learning how to drive, I gave the car a small spin around the city and it feels really zippy.

Steering is light and responsive, but feels "disconnected" at times - and I have to make some corrections to get it right. I may have gotten used to driving my other car (Hyundai Accent GLS) but I can definitely agree to the fact that one really needs to make conscious effort to press the right leg after moving from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd gears - Need to rev the engine to 2000 RPM; else it feels like the engine is going to drop dead on the road!

That said, the car easily goes to 65kmph within a fraction of a second when I step on the pedal while in 3rd or 4th gear - fantastic feel while overtaking. I'm still yet to complete 100KM on the odo but I have already started to like the car for its driveability on Bangalore's traffic laden roads.

I will be posting a detailed "initial ownership report" once I have clocked more on the Odometer.

Till then...
Safe driving!
Old 28th August 2011, 21:42   #555
Senior - BHPian

What should be the optimum tire pressure for the JK tyre tornados?30?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks