Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 12:24   #271
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Hey Sushil, thanks for the info so far. Couple of other questions:

a) Do the sensors have some battery for power supply?
b) The main display unit connects to the car 12V charger socket - is it possible to remove the display unit and connect back as needed?

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2014, 21:28   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Hey Sushil, thanks for the info so far. Couple of other questions:

a) Do the sensors have some battery for power supply?
b) The main display unit connects to the car 12V charger socket - is it possible to remove the display unit and connect back as needed?

Thanks!
anshuman_v , please check this out , this would explain nicely.

You can remove the display unit at will , once reconnected it would work after your speed crosses 20 Kmph.
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 21:44   #273
BHPian

Thanks, this is helpful. So given the weight of the sensors, do we have to balance the wheels afterwards? Also any idea if extra sensors are available in case any gets lost/stolen?
Old 7th November 2014, 09:07   #274
BHPian

Re: 70,000 kilometers - Yeti gets TPMS and the third set of boots

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful. So given the weight of the sensors, do we have to balance the wheels afterwards? Also any idea if extra sensors are available in case any gets lost/stolen?
Please check the excerpts from the following posts , this would given you an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
There is no need for rebalancing as the sensors (15 gms) replace the valve covers (weighing 7 gms). My initial impression is that they work great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey which valve cover weighs 7 grams or did you have those chrome ones ? and with 15 grams TPMS on the valve now, you sure do need to rebalance the wheel again. Sure, u won't feel much of an imbalance at 100 or say even 120, but after 120, the feeling of uneasiness sure will creep in.
SushilBajpai, mentions the weight of the individual sensors as 15 gms , however the international site of Steel Mate mentions it as 9.6 gms , please check here.

Here is the link to the Indian reseller , you can chat with them or call them to find out about extra sensors , please let us know what you find out
DriveTrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 09:46   #275
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Please check the excerpts from the following posts , this would given you an idea.

SushilBajpai, mentions the weight of the individual sensors as 15 gms , however the international site of Steel Mate mentions it as 9.6 gms , please check here.

Here is the link to the Indian reseller , you can chat with them or call them to find out about extra sensors , please let us know what you find out
I have not felt a need to rebalance the tyres. The sensor probably weigh about 10 grams and I might have made a mistake suggesting they weigh 15 grams.

I had also checked about availability of spare sensors in case of damage or loss of sensors. The Indian distributor has assured me that spare sensors are readily available. In case of malfunction they'll be replaced free of cost. However in case of loss or theft they cost about Rs 1,500 to replace one of those.
SushilBajpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 01:42   #276
BHPian

The Yeti had its first potential failure - after more than 95,000 km of trouble-free dream run. About two weeks back, on way to Goa, the ABS and Traction Control warning annunciation appeared on the instrument panel (about 200 km from Pune), when I started the engine after a short brake. I turned the engine off, waited for a few seconds, allowed some time for the software to boot. Then restarted the engine. The annunciation cleared itself and we were on our way - albeit with a closer monitoring.

The ABS and Traction Control warning flashed a second time about 100 km before Goa, but disappeared within seconds. Rest of the journey was uneventful. On return leg I noticed it flash one time.

Actually I am quite wary of the intermittent problems - be it in a car or an aircraft. They are difficult to diagnose and fix. Anyhow I suspected the ABS sensors, or a broken/loose wire.

However, (at the first opportunity) the Yeti made its way to Autobahn, Kurla, Mumbai. They were apparently familiar with the issue and concurred that it appeared like a failed or failing sensor issue. They replaced the ABS sensors on the Yeti. I was offered a 80% discount on the new sensors, which I was glad to accept! All four sensors were replaced.

I have a feeling that misbehavior of ABS sensor is a known issue, and there appears to be some kind of semi-recall - deep discount on new sensor for replacement of any suspect sensors.

The Yeti has run nearly 500 km with the new sensors and the problem appears to have sorted itself.

Well, if nothing else, Skoda is definitely turning a new leaf.
SushilBajpai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 13:33   #277
BHPian

Quote:
The Yeti had its first potential failure
I am having exact same issue currently. My car is at 92k odd kms. Whenever i start the car, ABS and traction control light comes up. After switching off and letting the software reset it does not come up. This happens everyday. Oh yes intermittently i have one more error light showing up "Downhill Drive Support " which I don't think 4x2 Ambition has.
Can you tell me how much did you pay for all four sensors after 80% discount?
Old 8th December 2016, 13:55   #278
BANNED

Quote:
The Yeti had its first potential failure - after more than 95,000 km of trouble-free dream run.
You've actually had a great run with the Yeti. 95k is probably the highest a Yeti on TBHP would have clocked. How has the car been otherwise?

Any upgrade/replacement planned?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:01   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I am having exact same issue currently. My car is at 92k odd kms. Whenever i start the car, ABS and traction control light comes up. After switching off and letting the software reset it does not come up. This happens everyday. Oh yes intermittently i have one more error light showing up "Downhill Drive Support " which I don't think 4x2 Ambition has.
Can you tell me how much did you pay for all four sensors after 80% discount?
The Yeti Elegance has 4X4 with downhill assist. However, those lights didn't show on any occasion.

If I recall correctly paid around Rs 4,000 for the sensors plus labour. The total came to around 10K. They also did some other work on the car, so labour might have included that as well.

If you are based in or around Mumbai I can PM you the contact details of the workshop.

However, while you get the sensors replaced do ask to check thoroughly for any faults with wiring. Loose connections, damaged or cut wires can also lead to these issues; so can dirty sensors. I understand that giving them a thorough clean over and re-installation by an experienced mechanic has resolved similar problems for some.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:16   #280
BHPian

Quote:
The Yeti Elegance has 4X4 with downhill assist. However, those lights didn't show on any occasion.

If I recall correctly paid around Rs 4,000 for the sensors plus labour. The total came to around 10K. They also did some other work on the car, so labour might have included that as well.

If you are based in or around Mumbai I can PM you the contact details of the workshop.

However, while you get the sensors replaced do ask to check thoroughly for any faults with wiring. Loose connections, damaged or cut wires can also lead to these issues; so can dirty sensors. I understand that giving them a thorough clean over and re-installation by an experienced mechanic has resolved similar problems for some.
Yes I am based in Mumbai, I know a couple of people at Autobahn Goregaon. But yes please give me details of your contacts in Autobahn.
Old 8th December 2016, 14:21   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You've actually had a great run with the Yeti. 95k is probably the highest a Yeti on TBHP would have clocked. How has the car been otherwise?

Any upgrade/replacement planned?
Yeti has indeed been the most uncomplaining car and the family workhorse. It has travelled the long and high, to the deserts, remote villages and the northern mountains. Even today it behaves like it did on the first day, it got home.

All it has needed is servicing, preventive maintenance and oil change when scheduled.

I was lucky to find a good support in Autobahn (Kurla)Mumbai for all the servicing and maintenance needs. The guys in Pune are useless and border on incompetence.

I haven't come across any car to replace Yeti in India yet. I might have considered a replacement with another Yeti, if it was offered with a DSG box. I hear good things about Kodiak. Let's see what is on offer when it is launched. Skoda, IMHO has been uniquely silly in not offering DSG on Yeti, even while it is on offer in lower segment sedans they that they offer.

Last year I purchased a BMW 3GT. It is a lovely car, but there is no way that it can replace the Yeti. The good old Yeti continues to serve me reliably and uncomplainingly. If I say a word more I'll begin to sound like Yeti salesperson.

And before there are any complaints from the moderators, let me also provide a disclaimer: that I have no pecuniary interest in Skoda or Autobahn and I am not peddling their wares for any personal gains.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 8th December 2016 at 14:36.
SushilBajpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 16:08   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling that misbehavior of ABS sensor is a known issue, and there appears to be some kind of semi-recall - deep discount on new sensor for replacement of any suspect sensors.
It is a very common issue. I've gotten tired of changing sensors, therefore this time I decided to try a sensor which goes by the name of "Febi", apparently by the manufacturers of Bilstein. A few of my friends are using these on VW vehicles and they have not had sensor issues after putting on the Febis. Costs less than VW OE anyway.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th December 2016 at 16:09.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks