Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:39   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Sushil,
Do let me know after due calculations, considerations and suitability checks whether this'll work.
Shall check with Yoko folks again.
Hi Sushil and Yeti Team,

Checked with Yoko.

The 225/60/R16 Yoko in India is available in the Decibel range in two patterns - V 550 and ES 501. But both of them are 'car' tyres and the size doesn't come in India in the Geolandar series - H/T or A/T. As before will not be a good deal for the 4X4s.

However my chum promised to get back to me in 2/3 odd days time with a possible substitute for the Yeti in India from the Yoko range after talking to his R&D chaps in Delhi. I had of course described to him the situation the group was facing for replacement of the OE tyres etc.

So let's see what he throws up.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:36   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sushil and Yeti Team,

However my chum promised to get back to me in 2/3 odd days time with a possible substitute for the Yeti in India from the Yoko range after talking to his R&D chaps in Delhi. I had of course described to him the situation the group was facing for replacement of the OE tyres etc.

So let's see what he throws up.
This is good news. If Skoda is not forthcoming with information on substitute, then the next best option is to seek opinion from the tyre manufacturers. Thank you Guderian for your efforts and your good friend at Yoko. Let's hope that this can be sorted out. My Yeti is grounded for want of tyre.

I am rediscovering the joys of driving the Jazz.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:50   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
This is good news. If Skoda is not forthcoming with information on substitute, then the next best option is to seek opinion from the tyre manufacturers. Thank you Guderian for your efforts and your good friend at Yoko. Let's hope that this can be sorted out. My Yeti is grounded for want of tyre.
Hi Sushil,
My pleasure really. For some strange reason I have a karmic connection with the Yeti I guess - possibly because it's a vehicle that I almost selected and paid up for and most importantly really liked ! Anyway...

It's a pity that the manufacturer is showing no inclination sense the issue and help the owners. I think someone should send them a mail stating the exact issue and the lack of availability of the OE tyres etc. Not sure whether Behemoth's earlier mail to Skoda raised hell - enough of it at least, in response to which they gave some gratuitous and unsolicited information !

Awaiting the Yoko folks final response and shall report back.

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd August 2011 at 14:54.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:15   #154
BHPian

I have raised the issue on Skoda India Facebook, and provided a link to this page. This would hopefully catch their attention.

https://www.facebook.com/SkodaAutoIndia
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:18   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guderian,
Thanks for your support, it is really an assurance for us Yeti owners. If anytime in the future Yokohama decides to import ATS tyres in this size, I will very keen for the change! I also came to know recently that importing tyres in India has become much more difficult due the mandatory ISI markings.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Guderian,
Thanks for your support, it is really an assurance for us Yeti owners. If anytime in the future Yokohama decides to import ATS tyres in this size, I will very keen for the change! I also came to know recently that importing tyres in India has become much more difficult due the mandatory ISI markings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post

I am rediscovering the joys of driving the Jazz.
Hi Yetians (Trust I can use that moniker !),

My chap got back to me after talking to his seniors in Yoko and more importantly with his R&D Head in Delhi.

Their findings are as follows and I attempt to quote as verbatim as possible in bullet form:

- That the OE tyres of Yeti (215/60/R16) come from Goodyear and Continental.

- The Goodyear tyres are more commonly seen in India and it comes from their 'Excellence' range with a specification of 95 H. These are not A/Ts.

(My comment - Needs to be specifically confirmed - specs & that they are not A/Ts.)

- That the Yoko tyres of the same size (215/60/R16) of the 'A 348' series/range have better specification - at 95 V.

- If the Goodyear tyres with lower specs of 95H sees
duty on the Yeti the Yokos with higher specs of 95 V can do a better job.

So basically he is reversing his advice of yesterday vis a vis the Yoko A348s (215/60/R16s) as the R&D chaps have clearly vouched for it after studying the Goodyear tyres.

My suggestion to clear any remaining doubt here is:

- To write to Skoda stating the non availability of Goodyears and mention that Yoko tyres of the same size is available and seek their comments on fitting the same.

Or simply go ahead with the Yokos.

Over to the group !
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:41   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian

My chap got back to me after talking to his seniors in Yoko and more importantly with his R&D Head in Delhi.

Their findings are as follows and I attempt to quote as verbatim as possible in bullet form:

- The Goodyear tyres are more commonly seen in India and it comes from their 'Excellence' range with a specification of 95 H. These are not A/Ts.

(My comment - Needs to be specifically confirmed - specs & that they are not A/Ts.)

- That the Yoko tyres of the same size (215/60/R16) of the 'A 348' series/range have better specification - at 95 V.

So basically he is reversing his advice of yesterday vis a vis the Yoko A348s (215/60/R16s) as the R&D chaps have clearly vouched for it after studying the Goodyear tyres.

- To write to Skoda stating the non availability of Goodyears and mention that Yoko tyres of the same size is available and seek their comments on fitting the same.

Over to the group !
Thanks Guderian,
The Yokos may definitely be good for onroad use, but I guess still our dilemma for offroad use remains! I am not too sure if the A348 Yokos would be able to take me to Leh.... Is there any way that we can plead, beg convince the Yoko guys to start importing the ATS 215/60 R 16 tyres ! Maybe we can form a collective group and pool in the Yeti owners and show them some business potential!

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd August 2011 at 17:46.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:51   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Yokos may definitely be good for onroad use, but I guess still or dilemma for offroad use remains! I am not too sure if the A348 Yokos would be able to take me to Leh.... Is there any way that we can plead, beg convince the Yoko guys to start importing the ATS 215/60 R 16 tyres ! Maybe we can form a collective group and pool in the Yeti owners and show them some business potential!
Hi Behemoth,
Well frankly I can't bat for the Yoko chaps.
But then using cold logic - if the Goodyears (which are the OE tyres) can take you to Leh and bring you back then why won't the Yokos if their R&D chaps are to be believed ?
I think the key here is to check whether the Goodyear OE specs and non A/T status mentioned by Yoko chaps is correct. If correct then the Yokos can take you anywhere the Goodyear OE tyres can and a little beyond because of the better specs !
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:18   #159
BHPian

Quote:

Over to the group !
Many thanks indeed. You're spot on. The Yeti stock tires are indeed Goodyear Excellence 95H. They are NOT A/T. And if one wishes to wander around real Himalayan heights then an A/T tyre would naturally be more desirable.

Under the circumstances however, Yokos are the only choice available for Yeti owners. I agree they'll probably hold out anywhere excellence 95H goes, then some more.

Thanks again Guderian.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 3rd August 2011 at 18:21.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:39   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The H and the V are speed ratings. And that is not the only thing which makes a tyre better. The A348 is meant for comfortable cruising, and I think it would have soft sidewalls, definitely not meant for Leh. Again no one confirmed if they spoke with one of the dealers I recommended.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:01   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The H and the V are speed ratings. And that is not the only thing which makes a tyre better. The A348 is meant for comfortable cruising, and I think it would have soft sidewalls, definitely not meant for Leh. Again no one confirmed if they spoke with one of the dealers I recommended.
I was able to get through to Jeetu Bhai of Saifee Tyre Service http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...uz-mumbai.html

I was most impressed. He heard me patiently. And responded professionally to all questions. They don't have any A/T tyre with them in this size. He said he will be able to help with stock tyre (Goodyear Excellence).

I will also speak with the other dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and apologies for not following up on lead earlier.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 3rd August 2011 at 19:03.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 10:34   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hi Akshay,
Ture.
That is exactly what the bloke from Yoko also mentioned about the speed rating.
Yokos anyway are known to have weak sidewalls - even the Geos A/T. I never had a flat on them but sidewall issues always.

And about Leh - well even Altos seem to have fun there with their paper tyres.....!

Last edited by Guderian : 4th August 2011 at 10:51.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:01   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sushil,
I did some additional searching on the tyres, and found UTQG (Uniform tyre Quality grading) numbers for various tyres. The Goodyear Excellence tyres on our Yeti have a number of 240 A A (240 is the ratio of tread life, vs a base standard of 100 defined by US Dept of Transport) and A represents Traction and the second A is for Temp. (A,B,C : A is best, C is worst).
The 240 is actually a very low figure for India and is probably the correct tyre for European countries. Softer compounds give better traction in wet and icy conditions. In India, we need a UTQG rating of at least 400 A A.
For a comparison, Geo AT-S are 500 A A
When we go for replacement of the tyres, I feel that we should go for tyres with at least this rating.
One of the links you can use to find comparable tyres, and which also gives possible brands in this size is below. You can try searching which options are available in India.
Tire Search Results

I am leaning towards BF Goodrich Advantage T/A in case I am not able to get Yoko Geos AT-S.

Drive safe!
Old 4th August 2011, 12:28   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sushil,
One of the links you can use to find comparable tyres, and which also gives possible brands in this size is below. You can try searching which options are available in India.
Tire Search Results
Hi Behemoth,
Nice site !
Incidentally any further information from the Skoda chaps ?
Old 4th August 2011, 14:32   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Behemoth,
Nice site !
Incidentally any further information from the Skoda chaps ?
Thanks! Haven't heard from them since a few days. Last was a call that I had received from their customer care department in Aurangabad to tell me that they will take it up with their R&D department and assess the option!
Don't think I will hear back from them quickly!
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks