Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2011, 20:08   #91
BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Congratulations, VBN. You'll love the Yeti. It grows on you. You'll keep discovering new features for quite some time. The FE will also improve with usage. I suggest that you do take it for some long rides. It will help the engine open up and get well run in.

If you haven't already done that check your tyre pressure. My vehicle had over-inflated tyres on delivery, and there are others who have reported the issue in these forums. Adjusting the tyre pressure immediately improves the ride. I keep 32 psi for front and 34 to 38 psi for rear depending on load. The manual recommends 32 to 34 psi front, and 35 to 44 psi for rear.

Drive safe and enjoy.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 11:08   #92
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - The Badge/Logo got stolen

Both the front and rear emblem/logo/badges got stolen from my Yeti sometime back. It looked a trifle sad. I got them renewed from Asset Auto. It cost Rs 2,000.

While the badges add to aesthetics, I think they should be designed in a manner that they are integrated such that they can't be removed. Or the cost of replacements should be brought down to a level that stealing them becomes an unviable proposition.

I also suspect it is more of a prank that teenagers indulge in. It sure upsets the owner, and an irritated adult is just what provides the high to the neighborhood teenagers.

Whatever, I think it is time manufacturers really bring the price of the badges down. This should be easy to accomplish. Instead of importing them from Italy - as was the case with my replacement - get them made locally.

I do hope some Chinese manufacturer reads this post, and produces these badges in bulk - perhaps in plastic and sells them for Rs 10 for a set of a dozen. That should do the trick.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Both the front and rear emblem/logo/badges got stolen from my Yeti sometime back. It looked a trifle sad. I got them renewed from Asset Auto. It cost Rs 2,000.

While the badges add to aesthetics, I think they should be designed in a manner that they are integrated such that they can't be removed. Or the cost of replacements should be brought down to a level that stealing them becomes an unviable proposition.

I also suspect it is more of a prank that teenagers indulge in. It sure upsets the owner, and an irritated adult is just what provides the high to the neighborhood teenagers.

Whatever, I think it is time manufacturers really bring the price of the badges down. This should be easy to accomplish. Instead of importing them from Italy - as was the case with my replacement - get them made locally.

I do hope some Chinese manufacturer reads this post, and produces these badges in bulk - perhaps in plastic and sells them for Rs 10 for a set of a dozen. That should do the trick.
It's really sad to know that this still happens in Pune. Thats been quite common with Skoda Cars. However in Mumbai this situation has good slight better in recent no. of months. In last 2 year or so I had purchased the emblem 3 times for the Fabia and once for the laura. Eventually I found a place where I could get the Look alike for Rs.100. Yes just 100 and its hard to tell it's fake.
Got them and applied some Araldite on it and kept it overnight to dry.
It's tough to get them out now.

Last edited by Invinsible : 20th April 2011 at 11:18.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:54   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
It's really sad to know that this still happens in Pune. Thats been quite common with Skoda Cars. However in Mumbai this situation has good slight better in recent no. of months. In last 2 year or so I had purchased the emblem 3 times for the Fabia and once for the laura. Eventually I found a place where I could get the Look alike for Rs.100. Yes just 100 and its hard to tell it's fake.
Got them and applied some Araldite on it and kept it overnight to dry.
It's tough to get them out now.
Invinsible, can you share the address/phone number where I could a spare or two of the loo-alike badges (perhaps PM me). I don't really care if there are small differences. I presume one can't anyway make out any difference from a few feet away. It is just that it ruins the aesthetics of the car. In fact I even considered putting just some round plastic stickers.

The manufacturers can also get rid of the emblems that can be removed so easily. Just like you suggest I also considered sticking the new emblems with Araldite/epoxy. However, in their enthusiasm the pranksters might end up scratching the paint around the emblem.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:47   #95
BHPian

sorry to hear about the emblem,I am not sure why anybody would do that. Skoda spares are cheaper outside provided somebody brings them else the custom duty makes the prices sames.
I placed an order for cruse control its been 2 months and have not recieved yet, in between skoda sent cruise contrl module claiming for yeti but at fitting time it was discovered to be for laura! Still waiting to get that.
-Pramod
Old 21st April 2011, 18:34   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Invinsible, can you share the address/phone number where I could a spare or two of the loo-alike badges (perhaps PM me). I don't really care if there are small differences. I presume one can't anyway make out any difference from a few feet away. It is just that it ruins the aesthetics of the car. In fact I even considered putting just some round plastic stickers.

The manufacturers can also get rid of the emblems that can be removed so easily. Just like you suggest I also considered sticking the new emblems with Araldite/epoxy. However, in their enthusiasm the pranksters might end up scratching the paint around the emblem.
I learnt about this person in Vashi, New Bombay, works as a mechanic. He arranged the emblem for me and charged me 300 bucks since I picked 3 of them.
I could arrange the same for you.
It's very much like the OE emblem made out of fiber plastic. Absolutely no difference once you put it on will difficult to say those are fake.
Working with Araldite required lot of patience. I had to mask around the area with a tape, rough the surface a bit where the emblem sticks, apply a bit of Araldite and leave it overnight. Next morning it was all fine.
I did the same to the front. Few months back after I put them on someone did try to remove the front one, but couldn't. I realised on closing looking at the emblem from the top corner.
The rear has been stuck in such a way where there is not a little gap for someone to insert even a small screwdriver to get it out.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:48   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
sorry to hear about the emblem,I am not sure why anybody would do that. Skoda spares are cheaper outside provided somebody brings them else the custom duty makes the prices sames.
I placed an order for cruse control its been 2 months and have not recieved yet, in between skoda sent cruise contrl module claiming for yeti but at fitting time it was discovered to be for laura! Still waiting to get that.
-Pramod
Where do you procure these from. Are there any specific addresses where one could pick these up - perhaps in Germany or UK. How are the prices in Czech Republic. If they have web address then could check the prices before-hand.
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:56   #98
BHPian

Skoda Yet - 4 months/7000 km update

The Yeti crossed 7000 km this morning. These have been the best 7,000 km that I've driven in any vehicle.

During this time the Yeti has seen a fair share of city driving, highways and off-road. It has done several Pune-Mumbai-Pune trips, one Pune-Goa-Pune. It has gone on three occasions to the hills in Akole Taluka, and to villages like Shiswad and Purushwadi. The approach to Shiswad involves several kilometers of unpaved road, and Yeti takes it in its stride.

I have not had any issues so far. No creaks, no strange noises. Acceleration, power and braking is as new. The FE has increased by about 10-15% from the time it was new.

The Yeti sports one small dent (not visible except to a keen eye) under the front door - thanks to a stone that flew off the road from a PMT rear wheel.

The air-conditioning is good. I used to keep climate control at 22 C. However, as the heat goes up, I find it more comfortable keeping it at 20 - 21 deg C.

In the recirculation with adaptive mode, once in a while, the smells from outside, do manage to get in - particularly, if a smoke belching vehicle appears suddenly.

There is a slight vibration from the rear left speaker, which disappears, if the bass is reduced. I suspect the speaker needs to be tightened. However, I'm not sure if I should point it out to dealer.

The Yeti has had one coat of wax-polish so far. It gets a wash nearly every day. The coat looks nearly new. But I think she would love to have another coat of polish now.

The service and oil-change interval of 15,000 km appears like "hell of lot of time" between services. I want to have the first oil-change at 7,500 km. However, every time I've approached the dealers they have strongly discouraged me from doing so.

I am contemplating a longish drive sometime next month. Pune-Banswara-Jaipur-Delhi-Uttaranchal-and back to Pune.

By then she'll be ready for her first service.
Old 24th April 2011, 12:49   #99
VBN
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti - 4 months/7000 km update

Quote:
I am contemplating a longish drive sometime next month. Pune-Banswara-Jaipur-Delhi-Uttaranchal-and back to Pune.
I have completed only 700kms in last 3 weeks. I plan to take the entire family fr an outing to Aurangabad in May. First stop in Nasik to see the vineyards, and then to Aurangabad.

On the return leg, I plan to take the Pune route.

btw, I already had my first tyre puncture in Mumbai. 1.5 inch nail had gone right through.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:50   #100
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Icy Cold or So-So?

Hi Sushil (and Pramod and ManU, if you care to share your inputs):

Any qualitative feedback on the AC and its being able to do the job in an Indian Summer?

This is in context of earlier Skodas needing a change of AC kit due to more benign European cooling requirements.

Is the Yeti we get here supplied with a duly up-rated AC? Given the big greenhouse, and what Car India says is an inside and vent temperature that is one of the highest of the SUV/MUVs tested, I was wondering what you guys felt about this?

Of course, what is rear seat comfort like, as well ( w/r/t AC cooling)?

(Let me add that in my test drives in Bangalore weather at the end of April, it was cool but not icy in the driver's seat, and the rear passengers said they were "comfortable". But Bangalore is not the epitome of hot weather, though it is getting there!)

Last edited by crackingride : 12th May 2011 at 12:53.
Old 13th May 2011, 07:41   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Hi Sushil (and Pramod and ManU, if you care to share your inputs):

Any qualitative feedback on the AC and its being able to do the job in an Indian Summer?

Is the Yeti we get here supplied with a duly up-rated AC? Given the big greenhouse, and what Car India says is an inside and vent temperature that is one of the highest of the SUV/MUVs tested, I was wondering what you guys felt about this?

Of course, what is rear seat comfort like, as well ( w/r/t AC cooling)?

(Let me add that in my test drives in Bangalore weather at the end of April, it was cool but not icy in the driver's seat, and the rear passengers said they were "comfortable". But Bangalore is not the epitome of hot weather, though it is getting there!)
Qualitatively speaking I've not experienced any issues with the inside temperatures. Having said that the Yeti has not yet experienced outside temperatures exceeding 41 deg celsius. I tend to use adaptive recirculation in automatic mode with temperatures set between 20 and 22 deg C. When outside temperatures exceeds 39 deg, the blower runs at pretty high RPM and it can be occasionally annoying, in an otherwise quite cabin.

My teenage son is quite loud when subject to any discomfort - real or imagined - and he hasn't yet complained about leg-room or cooling when traveling in the rear seat. So I guess it would be comfortable for most occupants in the rear.

The cooled glove compartment in the front works pretty well and keeps the water/cold drinks at a nice cool temperature.

I have not yet installed any sun-control film on the Yeti. I am planning a long trip from 25th May - 10th June. Pune-Banswara-Udaipur-Jaipur-Delhi-Jullunder-Simla-Kufri-Narkanda-Pune. Now that should pretty much test the A/C. I am seriously contemplating getting a high-end Vkool installed on the vehicle.

On my Jazz (with premium Vkool film all around) the inside temperatures are noticeably lower and air-conditiong correspondingly better.

I have so far resisted getting the sun-control film on Yeti, as it interferes with GPS signal on my map-my-india unit in the Jazz.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 09:02   #102
BHPian

Thanks, Sushil.

Your upcoming trip should wring the AC nice and proper, and give us something to chew on ( reflectively!)

Speaking of which, your pointer to the Vkool interfering with GPS signals was an eye-opener for me, as well.

I guess VBN's trip this month would also add to the body of knowledge on the AC front. Given you two are based more centrally in the country, this would be useful information for the forum.

Last edited by crackingride : 13th May 2011 at 09:03.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:28   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I have so far resisted getting the sun-control film on Yeti, as it interferes with GPS signal on my map-my-india unit in the Jazz.
Blaupunkt has recently introduced SPF, which they claim will not block GPS signal. You may like to check this out, since they are competitively priced as well. I am considering these for my Fabia.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Blaupunkt has recently introduced SPF, which they claim will not block GPS signal. You may like to check this out, since they are competitively priced as well. I am considering these for my Fabia.
That's good news. I just checked Blaupunkt website. They offer several types of films for cars. Which one are you considering? Do you have any idea where are they available? Is the installation under supervision of Blaupunkt or is it outsourced to random vendors? What about warranty? Do they offer any?
Old 14th May 2011, 00:37   #105
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Thanks, Sushil.

Your upcoming trip should wring the AC nice and proper, and give us something to chew on ( reflectively!)

Speaking of which, your pointer to the Vkool interfering with GPS signals was an eye-opener for me, as well.

I guess VBN's trip this month would also add to the body of knowledge on the AC front. Given you two are based more centrally in the country, this would be useful information for the forum.
Aurangabad was 42 degrees, and we were all fine at 22 degrees inside the cabin. This for 5 adult and 2 kid passengers, travel time 7 hours each way. At 24 degrees cabin temperature, we did start to sweat, but 21-22 inside temperature did the trick.

I too have a Map-my-India GPS unit. I think there is some problem either with the GPS unit or the charger for the same. It blew the fuse on the return journey. So I put it in the rear 12volt electric point. It blew that fuse too. I was slightly relaxed about the fuse blowing, background being the same GPS unit and charger blew the fuse on my previous car - the Corolla, and I ws not able to pin point the cause then; atleast this time it confirmed my suspicions. In the Corolla, when the fuse blew, it took away the electric connections to the radio too and the display panel for the aircon. In the Yeti, I think each of these has separate wirings. So only the fuses for the charging points went kaput. Now, I need to experiment as to whether the charger or the base GPS unit is faulty. Before that, I need to replace the 2 fuses

With so many passengers, the boot space was a slight issue, since my two kids aged 3 and 5 wanted to go and play in the back. I now need to check on the types of roof railings for luggage, for the Yeti, but am hesitant since a) it would spoil the beauty of the vehicles, b) very rarely do I go out with the full family.
VBN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks