Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 12:15   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I'm a bit surprised that there are no rain-sensing wipers, especially since the rain sensor is there to operate the windows for auto closing.
I was told at the time of my dekkho that the Yeti DID have rain sensing wipers but no auto headlights.

Do check and let us know what the case actually is. Going through the manual is no use as it shows you everything that might make its way into the car, with no distinction between what you have and what might have been!
I am as perplexed as you, regarding rain sensing wipers.

The MFD setup has the provision for activating rain-sensing automatic window closing. I have enabled that. However, I have no idea whether and how it works.

The manual carries detailed instruction about how to activate rain-sensing wipers. However, I could not make out any sense of what was written. In fact I also sat down in the car with the manual in hand. However, I was not able to make any head or tail.

I'll try again sometime. If I succeed I wll report accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations Sushil!
Excellent write-up and I am quite amazed that you tried the off-road ability so early.
And kudos to Yeti for passing the surprise test

Please post some pictures of the cute beast!
The off-road bit happened unintentionally. I don't think I'll subject any vehicle to this sort of terrain on purpose. I treat my cars with care, and if the car (including Yeti) encountered such nasty terrain, and if had a way of turning around, I'd do just that, and walk across the terrible landscape.

However, the experience has added immeasurably to my respect for Yeti. And that makes me confident that I can comfortably indulge in taking the Yeti to village tracks meant for bullock carts and to those places where the roads have not yet been paved.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th December 2010 at 19:10. Reason: posts merged.
Old 14th December 2010, 12:47   #17
BHPian

Re: The Abominable Yeti - The First Week

Belated congratulations on your Yeti acquisition. Great photos! They are brochure quality.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
However, the experience has added immeasurably to my respect for Yeti. And that makes me confident that I can comfortably indulge in taking the Yeti to village tracks meant for bullock carts and to those places where the roads have not yet been paved.
Exactly. You may not do it again, but it is always very satisfying to know the true capabilities of your vehicle. Indeed a great boost to personal confidence as well!
Old 14th December 2010, 18:04   #19
BHPian

Congratulations Sushil on your Yeti and happy to read on your offroading experience with the Yeti. The pictures are great and do justice for a true SUV.

My only grouse with Skoda is on not providing body coloured bumpers and this stands out especially when the car is white.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your buy.

by the way, I got a bit confused by the title. Abominable means hate worthy or something very disgusting, so I thought this would be some Skoda bashing thread or something like that.

You meant adorable- dint you?

Congratulations and many happy miles ahead!!
Old 14th December 2010, 18:33   #21
BHPian

The snow-white Yeti that's supposed to have derived its name from the "Abominable Snowman" is surprisingly tame while being wild at the same time. I see your point, but in retrospect it increases the eyeballs to this thread. I have sort of fallen in love with the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Congratulations on your buy.

by the way, I got a bit confused by the title. Abominable means hate worthy or something very disgusting, so I thought this would be some Skoda bashing thread or something like that.

You meant adorable- dint you?

Congratulations and many happy miles ahead!!
Old 14th December 2010, 18:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I have sort of fallen in love with the Yeti.
you have got all the good reasons to!! I love the looks of Yeti which is why I visited this thread to know what went wrong. felt good that nothing did!

Cheers!
Old 14th December 2010, 21:30   #23
BHPian

congrats sushil,
yeti is a really sensible buy and is a worthy alternative for those looking to buy something that can take the abuse better than a sedan and yet be much more manageable than a big suv.
wish you a trouble free ownership.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:46   #24
BHPian

Excellent pictures Sushil and thanks for sharing the same, however it would have been nice if you could share some pictures of interiors, front seat, rear seat, trunk and especially the MFD.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant write up. Brings out all the virtues of the Yeti.

Only one thing I'd like to "suggest" DO NOT keep oil change intervals at 15k. At best 7.5K even with synthetic oil.

Diesels are all about changing oil at the right time. Though Skoda may be optimistic. It is good to be conservative. IMHO

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 09:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Brilliant write up. Brings out all the virtues of the Yeti.

Only one thing I'd like to "suggest" DO NOT keep oil change intervals at 15k. At best 7.5K even with synthetic oil.

Diesels are all about changing oil at the right time. Though Skoda may be optimistic. It is good to be conservative. IMHO

Cheers
Firstly congrats Sushil on Yeti. It's a sensible choice on xover.

@Ricky: All Skodas are running on Synthetic
Oil. And there is no need to change the oil at 7.5k. I have been getting my fabia oil changed at 10-12k kms since it does 100kms everyday. Whereas Laura oil is changed at regular 15k since the running is low. Even at 15k the oil doesnt lose its viscosity.
But I suggest use the oil from Skoda only. Second keep a liter of oil extra with you to top up. As it's new car and burning of oil will be higher now than after 1st service.

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th December 2010 at 09:15.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

Oil. And there is no need to change the oil at 7.5k. I have been getting my fabia oil changed at 10-12k kms since it does 100kms everyday. Whereas Laura oil is changed at regular 15k since the running is low. Even at 15k the oil doesnt lose its viscosity.
But I suggest use the oil from Skoda only. Second keep a liter of oil extra with you to top up. As it's new car and burning of oil will be higher now than after 1st service.

My 2005 Skoda Octavia has been getting oil changes at 7.5k since it was new. The engine has run 51000 kms & runs like new even today. Wonder why Skoda suddenly decided that oil change should happen at 15k instead of the earlier company prescribed 7.5k.

Either they were fooling us customers then or they are fooling us now. I think on new cars (I am not sure though) they have "free" service for 3 years which includes engine oil. If that be the case, then we know why the oil change interval is increased.

Shorter oil change intervals can only help & do no damage, BUT a long oil change interval can do more bad than good. Just my humble opinion.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 14:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

More important than just the oil change is to get the EGR valve cleaning done at every service due to the carbon sooth. It keeps the performance and mileage at best always.
The Fabia 1.4TDI has done 76000KMS from June 2008 onwards with regular service intervals at 10-12k kms. Works absolutely fine while have used engine flush couple of times

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th December 2010 at 14:09.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

A very good review and a nice car it is. Congratulations and wishes to many more of such pleasant trips in your Yeti!
Old 15th December 2010, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Congratulations Sushil on your Yeti and happy to read on your offroading experience with the Yeti. The pictures are great and do justice for a true SUV.

My only grouse with Skoda is on not providing body coloured bumpers and this stands out especially when the car is white.
I don't really care for body colored bumpers. In fact I have in past had trouble with them (on other cars) when I can't find the match to replace the colored bumpers. So I'd rather have the standard bumpers that fit car of any color. That should keep the cost down and availability high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
congrats sushil,
yeti is a really sensible buy and is a worthy alternative for those looking to buy something that can take the abuse better than a sedan and yet be much more manageable than a big suv.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

While I share Ricky's concerns about oil change, I'd rather optimise the oil change interval. While a more frequent oil change might do no harm to the car, it is definitely damaging to the environment. Personally, I'd like to be as careful with the car as with the environment.

I therefore will try and figure how to optimise the oil change interval.

Will keep extra oil handy in case the car needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
A very good review and a nice car it is. Congratulations and wishes to many more of such pleasant trips in your Yeti!
Thanks every one for your encouraging words.

I have crossed 1,000 km driving in the Skoda Yeti. I will be posting more thoughts and impressions later in the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks