Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Congrats Sushil on the Yeti.
It looks like a wonderful and very capable car from the reviews. Definitely on my list for my next car. I have decided that my next car will be a good softroader with great power and handling and am not obsessed for size.

Quick question - I see that you too own a Jazz. How would you compare the interior space in the yeti to the Jazz, though they belong to entirely different segments?

Thanks and drive safe (which you do anyway
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:02   #77
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Interior space compared with Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Congrats Sushil on the Yeti.

Quick question - I see that you too own a Jazz. How would you compare the interior space in the yeti to the Jazz, though they belong to entirely different segments?
Both Jazz and Yeti have utilised the interior space very well indeed. However, I find that Jazz engineers have probably utilised the soace a bit better.

The space in front in Yeti is definitely more than Jazz. The seats have better thigh and lmbar support. That makes a big difference on long hauls.

The rear leg room in Yeti appears to be more than Jazz. But the person sitting in centre (rear!) in Yeti, has to contend with air-conditioning vent and a rather obtrusive hump on the floor - that forces one leg on either side. Having said that, the rear seat passengers have additional leg room under the front seats and that makes sitting in rear a little more comfortable than Jazz.

Both cars can sit two six footers one behind the other in reasonable comfort. For their size both have much more space inside than what appears from the outside.

The boot space is more in Yeti. However, the Jazz seats when folded down provide flat space. Not so for Yeti. Also the hand rests in Yeti on the side occupy more space than Jazz.
I initially had some apprehensions about inside space in Yeti. However I can clearly state that those concerns were misplaced.

One of the reasons I bought Jazz as opposed to any other hatchbacks was the rear legroom. I would have let go Yeti, if the rear leg room was not adequate. After all it often my six footer teenager who travels sitting behind. Like most teenagers he can be moody and demanding if he doesn't find enough space for himself. The aux-port in Yeti is tucked away in the box between the front seats. That's a better position than Jazz, as it is accessible to all seats, and is able to accommodate Mehul's music well.

Jazz has all kinds of spaces to hold good sized bottles. It gets two useful glove-boxes. Yeti's glove box is much smaller and the bottle holders are rather small.

Yeti is the new bride in the family, so goes around the town a bit more than Jazz. However, everyone is equally comfotable in both.
Old 11th January 2011, 23:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Right now my FE is 15kmpl combined, hoping to get better this is mostly on account of start and go city traffic, I believe Yeti on high would always be in rage of 16+ kmpl.
-Pramod
I really envy you guys on this account. My usage is mostly in the city and my office route is slow and bumper-to-bumper. I am getting an overall FE of 11 kmpl. I have done about 500 km till date so I am hoping this will improve slightly. But I can't foresee reaching the levels of 15 kmpl ever !
Old 15th January 2011, 18:41   #79
BHPian

Pune-Goa-Pune in Skoda Yeti

The Yeti has crossed 3,500 km. Last we went to Goa and took the Yeti and Fortuner along. The route we took was Pune-NH4-Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Turn off to right-Gaadinghlaj-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa.

The Yeti glided swiftly on NH4, and returned a FE of 22.5 kmpl on this section. It was in its elements on Amboli-Sawantwadi Ghat section. Fortuner had hard time keeping pace on Ghats, largely owing to its size and more pronounced body roll. Mehul complained about bumpier ride in Fortuner as compared to Yeti. We also found that Yeti offered better head room and leg-room than Fortuner.

Overtaking manuevers are a breeze in Yeti, thanks to its phenomenal acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. On the ghats it remained mostly in 4th gear.

We covered a distance of 490 km in a little over 9 hours 30 minutes of driving time. Yeti returned an FE of little over 21 kmpl from Pune to Goa.

On the return leg we took much longer due to traffic and multiple toll plazas which created bottlenecks. The journey took more that 11 hours. The average FE for the whole trip was excat 20 kmpl.

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8263.jpg

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8308.jpg

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8313.jpg

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8315.jpg

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8322.jpg

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8362.jpg

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8368.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8367.jpg  

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_8377.jpg  

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 15th January 2011 at 18:50.
Old 15th January 2011, 18:57   #80
BHPian

That's a great account of the trip and some good pictures. The 3rd and 4th gear acceleration is awesome, I agree. The fact that it has better headroom and legroom than the fortuner is really shocking !

One question though: when the central locking is engaged, I see that the rear-doors can be opened from inside. This is not child safe. Did you find a way to enable it?

Also which GPS device do you have there ? Is it good? Which company and how much?

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th January 2011 at 20:31. Reason: Back to back posts. Wait for 20 mins or use EDIT button
Old 15th January 2011, 19:22   #81
BHPian

Re: The Amenable (Skoda) Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
One question though: when the central locking is engaged, I see that the rear-doors can be opened from inside. This is not child safe. Did you find a way to enable it?
I don't think that one can disable rear-doors from being opened from inside. I have not been able to figure that out. However, in the showroom, if I remember correctly the demo-mule was configured in a manner that door opening needed two tugs.

As far as children are concerned one could (and should) enable child safety on the rear door. This a mechanical switch that you can see when you open the door.

Quote:
Also which GPS device do you have there ? Is it good? Which company and how much?
I use Map-my-india india. The device in the photographs is VX-240. It costs about Rs 15,000, and comes with a rear camera - free. I have not installed that in Yeti, as I'd rather avoide drilling holes and routing wires in a new car. The map coverage is pretty good. It took use exactly to the alighting point to our hotel in Goa (Haathi Mahal) - as it annonced "Destination Reached". I find that when they work GPS can be a great time saver.

However, I have just got a Garmin-Asus nuvifone (i think it is M10). I'll see how I could install map-my-India software on it. This device should be good as it combines cell-phone, geo-taggged pictures from its 5 megs camera and GPS device rolled into one.
Old 15th January 2011, 20:07   #82
BHPian

Thanks. For power did you connect it to the 12V lighter socket near the armrest? Did that not interfere with the gearshifts?
Old 15th January 2011, 23:20   #83
BANNED

How many passengers and luggage was there aboard both the vehicles? Were the drivers too exchanged at times? How many occupants did both the middle rows have in them?
What was the FE returned by the Fortuner and at what speeds?
Old 15th January 2011, 23:36   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. For power did you connect it to the 12V lighter socket near the armrest? Did that not interfere with the gearshifts?
That's right, I connected the GPS unit to the 12V lighter socket under the armrest. It does not interfere with the gear-shift or handbrake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
How many passengers and luggage was there aboard both the vehicles? Were the drivers too exchanged at times? How many occupants did both the middle rows have in them?
What was the FE returned by the Fortuner and at what speeds?
Yeti most of the time had two occupants, occasionally five. On the hand Fortuner mostly had upto five passengers, and occasionally two. The luggage was equal to three people for three days.

Yeti was single driver driven. Two drivers shared Fortuner between them.

No one wanted to occupy middle seat of the middle row in the Fortuner. The passengers opined that they felt more comfortable in Yeti, sitting three in second row. Yet it is better to to have only two passengers in the rear seat in Yeti as well.

Mehul is of the opinion that it easier to doze off in the rear of Yeti, rather than Fortuner - mainly due to ride quality and the fact that unlike Fortuner, in Yeti your head does not keep hitting the hand-holds just above the door.

Also the drivers felt that unlike Yeti, the brake response of Fortuner is far from great.

We did not calculate the FE for Fortuner.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 15th January 2011 at 23:37.
Old 13th February 2011, 22:28   #85
BHPian

Great write up. I love the Yeti. When I took the TD, I loved how the bonnet appeared from the front seat. Great torque too.
I would have gladly booked one, if my pocket permitted.
Congratulations on buying a great ride. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 10th April 2011, 00:46   #86
BANNED

No updates on your Yeti from a long time Sir. How is it going? How much has it clocked?

Please update your service experiences and costs as well.
Old 10th April 2011, 13:20   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
That's right, I connected the GPS unit to the 12V lighter socket under the armrest. It does not interfere with the gear-shift or handbrake.

Yeti most of the time had two occupants, occasionally five. On the hand Fortuner mostly had upto five passengers, and occasionally two. The luggage was equal to three people for three days.

Yeti was single driver driven. Two drivers shared Fortuner between them.

No one wanted to occupy middle seat of the middle row in the Fortuner. The passengers opined that they felt more comfortable in Yeti, sitting three in second row. Yet it is better to to have only two passengers in the rear seat in Yeti as well.

Mehul is of the opinion that it easier to doze off in the rear of Yeti, rather than Fortuner - mainly due to ride quality and the fact that unlike Fortuner, in Yeti your head does not keep hitting the hand-holds just above the door.

Also the drivers felt that unlike Yeti, the brake response of Fortuner is far from great.

We did not calculate the FE for Fortuner.
Sushil, how is your Yeti doing so far? Any updates on the performance and comparisons?

I am planning to buy either the Yeti,Fortuner,Pajero or Nissan x-trail what would be your unbiased pick in this segment?
Old 10th April 2011, 14:23   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I am planning to buy either the Yeti,Fortuner,Pajero or Nissan x-trail what would be your unbiased pick in this segment?
My unbiased pick for a max of 4 passengers today would undoubtedly the Yeti.

Its just the right size, very fuel efficient, the most comfortable of them all, the most car like handler, the best built and most of all, an internationally successful model by a Co which has been winning reliability surveys these days.
Old 14th April 2011, 20:14   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Sushil, how is your Yeti doing so far? Any updates on the performance and comparisons?

Well I love the Yeti. So I haven't a clue how unbiased I could get. Yeti is definitely an all rounder. I have some experience with Fortuner. We travelled to Goa from Pune - Yeti and Fortuner alongside. The ride quality, roominess inside the cars, road handling, fuel efficiency, sound system; Yeti appeared better than Fortuner in every area. I like x-trail. But I have only admired it from a distance. Never quite had an opportunity to drive it. Although I did meet an x-trail owner, who was eagerly awaiting delivery of the Yeti that he had booked.

Yeti definitely packs the biggest bang for your bucks. So far my experience has been a happy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
No updates on your Yeti from a long time Sir. How is it going? How much has it clocked?

Please update your service experiences and costs as well.
Here's a short update. The Yeti has logged more than 6,000 km. I suspect it will soon qualify for a long-term review rather than initial impressions.

Oh yes, the Yeti experienced its first rain a couple of days back. I had forgotten about rain-sensing wipers. Yeti though was alert, and the automatic wipers worked pretty nicely - adjusting the speed with the amount of rain as well as the speed of the car. Even after nearly six months Yeti throws a pleasant surprise every now and then.

The FE appears to have improved lately by about 10%. In light morning traffic when I drop my son to college I nearly always manage 20 km/l in the city.

I am planning a longish trip in next ten days or so. I'll get back on the forum.
Old 16th April 2011, 19:12   #90
VBN
BHPian

My Yeti is 3 weeks old now. Its fantastic. I like
a/ the overall drive quality of the vehicle.
b/ the Bolero music system
c/ the fuel efficiency(11kmpl) in mumbai city bumper to bumper traffic.
d/ the ability of the rearview mirrors to dim the effect of the headlights.
e/ there is definitely good leg space in the front and rear. My wife had reservations on this prior to buying the vehicle, but after just 1 week usage agreed on the sufficiency of the same.
f/ The list is long ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks