Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 12:56   #106
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Icy Cold or So-So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
That's good news. I just checked Blaupunkt website. They offer several types of films for cars. Which one are you considering? Do you have any idea where are they available? Is the installation under supervision of Blaupunkt or is it outsourced to random vendors? What about warranty? Do they offer any?
Autosonics at Worli is their India dealer. Called them up and located the Delhi dealer. Since you travel to Mumbai often could checkout the worli outlet itself.

I was looking at Arctic-70 for the windshield and snow series for the rest - yet to speak to the dealer about the cost but could be around 7k+. Fellow BHPian ahmik has installed Blaupunkt SPF on his Fortuner and a thread is available at the forum.
Old 15th May 2011, 15:11   #107
VBN
BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
The FE will also improve with usage. I suggest that you do take it for some long rides. It will help the engine open up and get well run in.

If you haven't already done that check your tyre pressure. My vehicle had over-inflated tyres on delivery, and there are others who have reported the issue in these forums. Adjusting the tyre pressure immediately improves the ride. I keep 32 psi for front and 34 to 38 psi for rear depending on load. The manual recommends 32 to 34 psi front, and 35 to 44 psi for rear.

Drive safe and enjoy.
Yes, with the long running on Mumbai-Aurangabad and back, the FE did improve to 16+. On tyre pressure, I kept 32psi for front and 36psi for rear as I had a more than full vehicle.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:42   #108
BHPian

If you want more FE on the Yeti, switch to low rolling resistance tyres. The Goodyear Excellence rubber has a higher rolling resistance than tyres like Michelin Primacy LC or Goodyear's Assurance Fuel Max.

This is especially applicable if you do alot of highway driving or are used to "coasting" to a stop when driving in city.

On a side note, I plan to switch to a K&N filter after my first service. I'll keep the original filter as warranty protection but I've always noticed I get slightly better efficiency in all my cars once I use a K&N, but even more so in Turbodiesels.
Old 17th May 2011, 20:38   #109
VBN
BHPian

On the subject of FE, yesterday, I got lows of 9 during bumper to bumper traffic from Sion station to Chembur Priyardarshini building(that stretch took 25 mins!) at 7.30pm. The same stretch, at 10.30 to 11pm, without traffic, yielded me 16kmpl.

I will look at the tyre change at a later date, as most of my driving is within Mumbai.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:56   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Autosonics at Worli is their India dealer. Called them up and located the Delhi dealer. Since you travel to Mumbai often could checkout the worli outlet itself.
rajcs, could you please post Autosonics phone number or PM it to me. I could not find it in the other thread that you referred, and the one on their website, does not respond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
On the subject of FE, yesterday, I got lows of 9 during bumper to bumper traffic from Sion station to Chembur Priyardarshini building(that stretch took 25 mins!) at 7.30pm. The same stretch, at 10.30 to 11pm, without traffic, yielded me 16kmpl.

I will look at the tyre change at a later date, as most of my driving is within Mumbai.
Of course bumper to bumper could get the FE for any car down to single digit. Yeti rewards light-footed drivers with some great FE figures. For the past four days I have driving on some pretty gut wrenching winding roads in Akole Taluka. The speeds rarely go beyond 50 kmph, and for most part steep inclines (and descents) force you in 3rd gear. With four people Yeti returned an FE ranging from 15.5 to 16.1 kmpl.

This morning I returned to Pune - a drive of 155 km of which 60 km was hilly stretch and remaining 90 km Nshik-Pune highway - with an FE of 19.3 kmpl.
Old 18th May 2011, 19:44   #111
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Ready to cross 10,000 kms

I am planning a rather long trip from 24th May to 10th June. Pune-Banswara-Jaipur-Delhi-Jalandhar-Simla-Narkanda-Back. The Yeti is a few kilometers short of 10,000 km.

I need advice about what all should I get checked before moving on this trip.

I would be driving nearly 4,000 kilometers. So I should return in time for the first service. Should I get the car serviced before the trip.

Are there any tips or recommendations for the first service. Any thing specific that I should watch out for? Anything extra that needs to be done?

I would be looking out for all tips.
Old 18th May 2011, 21:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Ready to cross 10,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
Yes, with the long running on Mumbai-Aurangabad and back, the FE did improve to 16+. On tyre pressure, I kept 32psi for front and 36psi for rear as I had a more than full vehicle.
36 at the rear I find that on the higher side. With the engine weight in the front you still maintaining 32 at front, I would keep around 32 all around. On a Superb I have seen some maintaining that pressure all around and have resulted in better avg, ride and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
If you want more FE on the Yeti, switch to low rolling resistance tyres. The Goodyear Excellence rubber has a higher rolling resistance than tyres like Michelin Primacy LC or Goodyear's Assurance Fuel Max.

This is especially applicable if you do alot of highway driving or are used to "coasting" to a stop when driving in city.
The OE tyre is mainly passenger car tyre internationally. I am surprised how Skoda is offering them on a car that could do some off-road bits.

I wouldn't suggest Michelin Primacy LC due to softer thinner side walls. They are more suited to sedans rather than a crossover.
I would rather suggest Michelin Latitude Tour HP / Goodyear assurance comfortred touring ( new ). There is also Yokohama HTS however a bit tyre could be an issue with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
On a side note, I plan to switch to a K&N filter after my first service. I'll keep the original filter as warranty protection but I've always noticed I get slightly better efficiency in all my cars once I use a K&N, but even more so in Turbodiesels.
K&N filter on diesel Skoda is not a good choice. I have had experience with K&N filter, Green, Pipercross. Green filter suites the best with the Skodas. I have had K&N doing the job on Laura and Green on Fabia. MAF sensor on Laura required more cleaning frequently and it did feel a bit oily. On the hand I would clean the Fabia MAF sensor once every 10000 kms. In terms of performance both are equally good, however Green has a slight edge.

Quote:
I am planning a rather long trip from 24th May to 10th June. Pune-Banswara-Jaipur-Delhi-Jalandhar-Simla-Narkanda-Back. The Yeti is a few kilometers short of 10,000 km.

I need advice about what all should I get checked before moving on this trip.

I would be driving nearly 4,000 kilometers. So I should return in time for the first service. Should I get the car serviced before the trip.

Are there any tips or recommendations for the first service. Any thing specific that I should watch out for? Anything extra that needs to be done?

I would be looking out for all tips.
Since it's a long highway drive with some Hill climbing that would come on the way, I would suggest you rather get the 1st service done before you make the trip to ensure everything is fine plus the change of oil, Oil filter, Diesel particle filter, will be beneficial. If not service get a VAG COM scan done to ensure there are no errors with any of the sensors and are working fine.

Also carry an extra liter of engine oil and some extra fuses. If possible fill the tyres with Nitrogen instead of air, this helps in keeping the tyres cool & the pressure stays constant plus there is a bit improvement in ride.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 17:55   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post Autosonics phone number or PM it
I was able to speak to Autosonics on 022-249888844. They said the Pune dealer for Blaupunkt SPF is Car Zone (Mr Bharat 9825160605)
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 16:35   #114
VBN
BHPian

Dear all, the mobile apps from team bhp are simply amazing. I urge all to try.
Old 23rd May 2011, 03:03   #115
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai
Of course bumper to bumper could get the FE for any car down to single digit. Yeti rewards light-footed drivers with some great FE figures. For the past four days I have driving on some pretty gut wrenching winding roads in Akole Taluka. The speeds rarely go beyond 50 kmph, and for most part steep inclines (and descents) force you in 3rd gear. With four people Yeti returned an FE ranging from 15.5 to 16.1 kmpl.

This morning I returned to Pune - a drive of 155 km of which 60 km was hilly stretch and remaining 90 km Nshik-Pune highway - with an FE of 19.3 kmpl.
Sushil, you are right about the light-footedness FE. Today, I got 18kmpl in Mumbai in light Sunday traffic. On Friday, on way to price and back, the FE was 16kmpl. I feel completing 1500kms did the trick on FE. I too have now got used to extracting the best from the Yeti.

No more posts on the FE ! :-)
Old 28th July 2011, 16:20   #116
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Crossed 16000 kms

Here is a 16,000 km update.

It's ben some time that I updated this thread. Here it goes.

The Yeti went on long drive Pune - Banswara - Jaipur - Delhi - Pinjotre - Narkanda - back. I have not had time to write about the trip and post photographs. I will write about it soon. For this post I can only say that she behaved very well indeed, and the 5,000 km round trip is something that my family and I will cherish (and remember) for long.

Upon return from the trip, I had the first service done at 14,950 km in June. We got oil, oil filter, air filter replaced, EGR valve cleaned, a scan done. I got the vehicle serviced at JMD Auto (New Bombay). They were really slow. After prior booking, the Yeti was the first vehicle in at 0930 hrs, before their prayers. They could not finish it till 0400 PM, and washing the car took nearly 2 hours.

And then a couple of days back I noticed cuts and splits on the sidewall of the rear left tire. Here are the photographs.

The splits have occurred in two places (diametrically opposite) on the same tire. I raised the issue with Skoda, who through their dealer have scheduled for the tire inspection by Goodyear for tomorrow. This would be the first issue with the Yeti.

Now my questions are:

1. The tyre needs to be definitely replaced immediately. While the other tires appear normal. Is it a good idea to replace only one tire?

2. If I need to replace the entire set, then I'd rather put A/T tires. I enquired with a few dealers. They have 215-65-R16 for A/T tires and not 215-60-R16. I understand the difference in out dia with A/T tires would be about 3.25%. What would be the impact of such change?

3. On the other hand I'd welcome advice on any 215-60-R16 tyre that is better than Goodyear Excellence?

4. Finally should I just stay with Goodyear Excellence.
Attached Thumbnails
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-img20110727004413.jpg  

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-img20110727004432.jpg  

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 28th July 2011 at 16:35.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:43   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Sushil, Can we have details on Service cost? My Laura is due for service this week.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th July 2011 at 16:45.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:06   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Sushil, Can we have details on Service cost? My Laura is due for service this week.
I got the service carried out at JMD Auto, Nerul, Navi Mumbai.

Here it goes:

1. Air Filter: Rs 327
2. A/C Filter: Rs 790
3. Engine Oil 5W30EX Shell Helix Ultra XT (4.5 ltr): Rs 4,600
4. Some other consumable (C000004) Rs 400

Total 6,644 + 12.5% VAT = Rs 7,474

Over and above this they charged me Rs 550 for wheel balancing and Rs 450 for brake cleaning. So that brought it to 8,500.

I could have argued with them about brake cleaning labour charges, but it was already 0500 in the evening and I had to drive back to Pune. So just let it be...

Wasn't terribly impressed with their service. Just very slow and Sarkari sort of disposition.
SushilBajpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 18:58   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Crossed 16000 kms

Quote:
And then a couple of days back I noticed cuts and splits on the sidewall of the rear left tire. Here are the photographs.

The splits have occurred in two places (diametrically opposite) on the same tire. I raised the issue with Skoda, who through their dealer have scheduled for the tire inspection by Goodyear for tomorrow. This would be the first issue with the Yeti.

Now my questions are:

1. The tyre needs to be definitely replaced immediately. While the other tires appear normal. Is it a good idea to replace only one tire?

2. If I need to replace the entire set, then I'd rather put A/T tires. I enquired with a few dealers. They have 215-65-R16 for A/T tires and not 215-60-R16. I understand the difference in out dia with A/T tires would be about 3.25%. What would be the impact of such change?

3. On the other hand I'd welcome advice on any 215-60-R16 tyre that is better than Goodyear Excellence?

4. Finally should I just stay with Goodyear Excellence.
Did you scrape your tyre on a curbing by any chance? Tubeless tyres are very sensitive to scrapes on sidewalls. Goodyear or any tyre manufacturer for that matter are generally very reluctant to accept any manufacturing defect esp after 16000 kms of running. I had a similar experience with them when they refused to accept their fault, when their tyres developed uneven wear on alternate ribs after just 5000 kms of running. They blamed my car for faulty suspension! My earlier Bridgestones had run 40,000kms on the same suspension btw. And the next set of Bridgestone also lasted 40,000 following the Goodyears on the same car.

Since you have a cut on just one tyre, you could just replace that one with the same size and same make. More than 3% difference in dia from the OE size is not advisable as it will affect your ODO readings, gearing etc... Also you would be rubbing your car manufacturer on the wrong side as far as suspension warranty is concerned.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 19:21   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sushil,
Even in my Yeti, I have noticed sidewalls damage in the Goodyear tyres.. Though it is not as bad as yours, the tyres certainly seem to have very weak sidewalls. My front right tyre had developed a cut around 3 cm long, but without air leakage. I repaired the tyre with some Feviquick, but I am now terribly conscious about the tyres and am also actively looking at changing them with good AT tyres. I am also able to find the 215/65 R16 size everywhere. I sent a mail to Skoda on whether this size will be ok, but so far haven't got any response. I feel that we need to push Skoda to offer AT tyres in the correct size directly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks