Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 09:24   #256
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you get Geolandar H/T please go for those. They are far more capable of handling dear old Indian road surfaces than the other ones.
i have posted a few details about the tyre upgrade in the tyres thread. according to tyre experts, the Geo's are Noisy but good for offroad and have a good life.

michelin Primacy Lc's are comfort tyres but have a life of about 30K kms.

Conti premiums are supposed to be Ideal because they are 99V XL but are in severe short supply.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:39   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
No one has yet taken the plunge of 215/65 R 16 tyres yet.. I was considering it once, but finally dropped the idea (have mentioned the reasons on my thread).

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth
Another tyre is the Apollo Acclere MAX 225/60 R16 98 V TL

taller by 6 mm on the radius compared to the original 215/60 R16
I think twinoctober has fitted that on his new Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im also waiting in the wings till my OEM tyres kick the bucket. I just hope that these YOKOs become more easily available in the stock Yeti Size. I don't want to upsize or deviate from the norm.
@shankar.balan another option here but still not SUV tyre I guess

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th July 2012 at 17:43.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:30   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Sushil,

My comments on some of your queries in Bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Thanks Behemoth. Pramod has also got the firmware upgrade. I too will get in touch with the local workshop and check when I could get the update.You should definitely get this upgrade done, as it will make a huge difference in AC cooling - it is a 30min job at the service station (if they have a technical advisor who knows how to do it!)

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi, I realise I'm digging up a really old post, but I've just struck gold in the form of a pre-worshipped yeti .

Could you please advise me regarding the firmware upgrade mentioned (I'm hoping you still remember). My Yeti Aircon seems to be working fine, but its a tad less effective than I'd like it to be (since this is a "new' car for me, I'm not sure if its ok, or if it should cool a bit more). Wondering if this firmware update will help. Will the Skoda A.S.S do it for me?
Old 15th June 2014, 01:50   #259
BHPian

There is a firmware update, which sorted out issues raised here. Further recently when the Yeti went for 60,000 km servicing at Autobahn Mumbai, there was a recall for the compressor, which was changed.

I have not had a chance to drive her, as I am away.

However, the two changes should make a difference. Any Skoda ASS should be able to handle this.

And what's more, I don't think you'll need to pay for any of this as this is really a factory recall.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 15th June 2014 at 01:54.
Old 18th October 2014, 02:20   #260
BHPian

70,000 kilometers - Yeti gets TPMS and the third set of boots

The faithful Yeti has completed 70,000 km. It got a brand new set of Pirelli P-7 tyres in standard size 215/60/16R and a brand new Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

Considering that Yeti goes places I have been seriously contemplating a TPMS. Most of the systems available in market require the sensors to be installed inside the tyres followed by proper wheel balancing. It just seemed like too much of a hassle.

However, I came across Steelmates TP-70 system (Tyremates) which is quite an innovative DIY solution. I had seen one used on a friend's car in UK, where it is available for about £80.

When I changed the tyres, I thought of TPMS and remembered TP-70. A bit of research got me to Hardik Rathod of Roger Motors. One five minute call later the TP-70 system was on its way COD. Four days later I received it this afternoon. And twenty minutes later I had already installed it on Yeti, without any fuss.

The instructions are explicit, easy to comprehend and the installation a breeze. The sensors replace the valve covers.

Having installed the system I took the Yeti for a drive. The display unit which plugs into 12V socket, activates on its own as the car speeds up to 20 kph.

The systems displays the pressure on each tyre cyclically. I found the displayed pressure to be accurate to within 1 psi against my calibrated tyre pressure gauge. It also gives an aural and visual alarm should the tyre pressure fall below 25 PSI or go beyond 47 PSI. There is also an alarm if it detects slow leak, or should the temperature exceed 70 deg Celsius.

There is no need for rebalancing as the sensors (15 gms) replace the valve covers (weighing 7 gms). My initial impression is that they work great. It was also quite interesting to note the increase in tyre pressure by about 2-3 PSI over first few kilometers as the tyres heated up.

On face of it the system is easy to install, appears to be maintenance free and doesn't require any wiring or modification to the car.

I will report more on their long term usability in coming weeks.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 18th October 2014 at 02:25.
SushilBajpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 08:54   #261
BHPian

Could you upload some pics of the TPMS and the cost since I too need one for my Innova. The ones I saw online had bad reviews about it.
Old 18th October 2014, 17:07   #262
BHPian

The Steelmates Tyremates DIY TP-70 TPMS - installed on the Yeti

The Tyremates TP-70 cost me Rs 9,675 COD.

I have attached two photos - one of the sensor and the other of the display unit. I really like the non-intrusive nature of the product.

As you would notice that the sensor fits neatly replacing the valve cap. Similarly the display fits snugly in the 12V socket in place of its cover, without creating any distraction or drawing undue attention.

Personally I feel that it's a pretty clever design which is unobtrusive and functional. It sits quietly monitoring the pressure and temperature. It provides real time information about the tyre pressure if needed, and warn through alarms the low/high tyre pressure and high tyre temperature condition - all precursors of potential trouble.

One System, Multiple Cars

Further, for those of us who have more than one car, and where generally only one car is on a long highway drive, where a tyre burst would be catastrophic. In that case transferring the TP-70 from one car to another is a breeze. It's just a matter of unscrewing the sensors from one car onto the car, and shoving the display unit into 12V socket of the other. It's a five minute job. Other TPMS systems cannot be easily translocated between the cars.

Experience with the vendor

My experience with Roger Motors, who sell the product in India, has been positive. They just didn't sell the product, but also called after I took the delivery, to check whether I needed any help with installation and if it was performing as expected. In fact the person who called also reminded me that I could use the product for 21 days and if I was not happy with the performance I could return it for a full refund - no questions asked. This sort of guarantee would generally be dished out in pre-sales talks, but this was after I had accepted the delivery, parted with money and installed the product. These are good signs should the product develop problems in future.

I would suggest, go ahead and buy one for your Innova. It does provide an additional layer of safety.
Attached Thumbnails
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_0354.jpg  

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-dsc_0353.jpg  

Old 19th October 2014, 01:10   #263
BHPian

The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Thanks Alot for your detailed description will go for it in a while as my rear left tyre constantly keeps losing air.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 02:16   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Thanks Alot for your detailed description will go for it in a while as my rear left tyre constantly keeps losing air.

If its keep losing air its better as well as way cheaper to get it checked for a puncture or even replace the tyre than getting a tpms.

Having said that the steelmate series is nice aftermarket DIY mod but in India i am scared if someone tries to steal the tyre valves while parking in some area and the pin gets ruined causing a flat. It would be an unnecessary hassle.
Old 19th October 2014, 08:04   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
... Having said that the steelmate series is nice aftermarket DIY mod but in India i am scared if someone tries to steal the tyre valves while parking in some area and the pin gets ruined causing a flat. It would be an unnecessary hassle.
The Tyremates do have a locknut which secures the sensor and would resist its casual removal. However a determined thief equipped with right spanner and aware of its direction of turn, would be able to remove the sensors.

Most wheels are not very difficult to remove either. They do get stolen, but not nearly as often as one might fear. I hope that to be the case with the sensors as well.
Old 19th October 2014, 08:11   #266
Senior - BHPian

Re: 70,000 kilometers - Yeti gets TPMS and the third set of boots

Quote:
The faithful Yeti has completed 70,000 km. It got a brand new set of Pirelli P-7 tyres in standard size 215/60/16R and a brand new Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

Considering that Yeti goes places I have been seriously contemplating a TPMS. Most of the systems available in market require the sensors to be installed inside the tyres followed by proper wheel balancing. It just seemed like too much of a hassle.

However, I came across Steelmates TP-70 system (Tyremates) which is quite an innovative DIY solution. I had seen one used on a friend's car in UK, where it is available for about £80.

When I changed the tyres, I thought of TPMS and remembered TP-70. A bit of research got me to Hardik Rathod of Roger Motors. One five minute call later the TP-70 system was on its way COD. Four days later I received it this afternoon. And twenty minutes later I had already installed it on Yeti, without any fuss.

The instructions are explicit, easy to comprehend and the installation a breeze. The sensors replace the valve covers.

Having installed the system I took the Yeti for a drive. The display unit which plugs into 12V socket, activates on its own as the car speeds up to 20 kph.

The systems displays the pressure on each tyre cyclically. I found the displayed pressure to be accurate to within 1 psi against my calibrated tyre pressure gauge. It also gives an aural and visual alarm should the tyre pressure fall below 25 PSI or go beyond 47 PSI. There is also an alarm if it detects slow leak, or should the temperature exceed 70 deg Celsius.

There is no need for rebalancing as the sensors (15 gms) replace the valve covers (weighing 7 gms). My initial impression is that they work great. It was also quite interesting to note the increase in tyre pressure by about 2-3 PSI over first few kilometers as the tyres heated up.

On face of it the system is easy to install, appears to be maintenance free and doesn't require any wiring or modification to the car.

I will report more on their long term usability in coming weeks.
Hey which valve cover weighs 7 grams or did you have those chrome ones ? and with 15 grams TPMS on the valve now, you sure do need to rebalance the wheel again. Sure, u won't feel much of an imbalance at 100 or say even 120, but after 120, the feeling of uneasiness sure will creep in.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 08:28   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey which valve cover weighs 7 grams or did you have those chrome ones ? and with 15 grams TPMS on the valve now, you sure do need to rebalance the wheel again. Sure, u won't feel much of an imbalance at 100 or say even 120, but after 120, the feeling of uneasiness sure will creep in.
Yes the metallic ones, which came with the Pirelli tyres. I weighed them just for the review. I'm unlikely to drive at speeds exceeding 120 kph. Nevertheless! I'll take your advise and get the tyres rebalanced. I'll also report back the difference in new weights if any.
Old 19th October 2014, 19:00   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the metallic ones, which came with the Pirelli tyres. I weighed them just for the review. I'm unlikely to drive at speeds exceeding 120 kph. Nevertheless! I'll take your advise and get the tyres rebalanced. I'll also report back the difference in new weights if any.
Yes please and remember to ask them to dynamically balance it. Dynamically balance means, put weights on both the sides with the setting on the machine which shows weight placement at the extreme edges. I don't exactly remember the ALU number for that but the pictorial representation on the machine should be enough to identify this.

I don't know if you are comfortable with weights being hammered on the inside, but I ask them to hammer the weights on the inside and have them place the sticker weights on the extreme sides. Yes mine are alloy wheels too.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 19:39   #269
BHPian

Quote:

How hard is it to refill air later ? , I assume that to refill you will first need to unscrew the sensors , inflate to correct pressure and then affix the sensors again. How much time does all of these steps take at the filling station ?
Old 4th November 2014, 23:04   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
How hard is it to refill air later ? , I assume that to refill you will first need to unscrew the sensors , inflate to correct pressure and then affix the sensors again. How much time does all of these steps take at the filling station ?
Indeed, to refill or top up the air, one needs to remove the sensor. It's fairly straightforward to remove a sensor and takes about a minute or so.

However, the need to refill the air also reduces for two reasons, the sensor stops air leaking from malfunctioning valve, and you know the exact air pressure in each tyre at all times. This helps anticipate the need to top up the air which can then be scheduled at a time when one is not rushed.

It's a chore, but not as annoying or cumbersome as it appears.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks