Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 19:38   #211
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000 kms update

thanks a lot for your post
yes, of all the vehicles available in the market as of now I m clear that the Yeti offers the most interesting package all around - given my particular need state. the only disadvantage is the fact that the golf bag doent fit laterally but I guess that can be lived with when looking at all the many advantages.
I like the vehicle and am almost sure I would buy the Elegance.
lets see how things pan out over the next few weeks and I will keep you all posted of the developments.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Yeti crossed another milestone today. On way back from Ahmednagar, she crossed 20,000 km. These road miles have been full of fun and without any trouble. I guess I've been unlucky with the tires - having suffered splits in the side-walls on two occasions.

Besides this there hasn't been any puncture and post 20,000 km, there is still about 50% tread in tact. Driven this way the tires could last about 40,000 km.

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2011 at 12:52. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 13th November 2011, 06:29   #212
Senior - BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
All we need is Guderian to jump in. The acerbic humor and all!
Ha ha - Sushil ! I just came across this today.
Congratulations on running past the 20K milestone !

All I can say is Power for the Powerless, Power for the Needy not the Greedy and quote that great bhajan (Allah Tero Naam) from the movie Hum Dono...nirbal Ko Bal Denewaale, balawaanon Ko De De Dynaaan - which to me means use the tuning box only if it is desperately needed and if you already have a powerful enough vehicle - use it responsibly.

Personally I am not in favour of installing such gizmos after having helped a friend install one and experiencing it to some extent.
For a few reasons too - reduced engine life, impact on other sub-systems of a balanced vehicle - gear box, clutch, exhaust emissions, FE, need to change the air filter etc.
And of course as a rather ordinary denizen of Indian roads - what exactly do I do with the additional power on the roads around me - even highways ? I barely go above 60% of my current capabilities.
Siiigh ! The perils of being just an ordinary driver I guess. An old stick in the mud.

Last edited by Guderian : 13th November 2011 at 06:35.
Old 13th November 2011, 07:17   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Yeti crossed another milestone today. On way back from Ahmednagar, she crossed 20,000 km. These road miles have been full of fun and without any trouble. I guess I've been unlucky with the tires - having suffered splits in the side-walls on two occasions.

Besides this there hasn't been any puncture and post 20,000 km, there is still about 50% tread in tact. Driven this way the tires could last about 40,000 km.

Congrats Sushil on the 20K Milestone. The tyres Goodyear Excellence were imports. probably the rubber isnt adaptable to the Indian heat. Anyways No Need to worry regarding replacements. Michelin Primacy LC tyres are available off the shelf in the same size. They are Green Tyres and here is the link - http://www.michelin.in/tyre/patternd...rCar/PrimacyLC . as regards the swirl marks and 3M treatment to remove them, its all pure BS. the best i can suggest is Klasse 6 Stage Paint Protection System which is done by Carzspa. costs about 5500/- for the yeti, but trust me, you will find that the car looks and feels new after the treatment. difference between 3M and Klasse is that 3M is Polymer based paint sealant which is becoming outdated and Klasse is acrylic Paint Sealant. google the names and also Polymer V/s Acrylic Paint Sealants and you will know what i am trying to tell you. also i have noticed 3M treatment wearing out soon. a Cheaper treatment would be Waxoyl protection.

@Shankar The Spare wheel even though of a smaller width, is of the same size 195/60/16. the stock ones are 215/60/16. difference in width is 20 mm. or 2 cms.

am planning to get a Yeti for myself along with Shankar. like they say two is strength..and so a lot of negotiations with the Dealer are on for the best deal. Have paid a booking amount and blocked the Vehicle, noted the VIN and KM readings and did a mini PDI. Hope to liquidate my previous car within the next 3-5 days and Bring Home the YETI!

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2011 at 12:53. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 09:49   #214
BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Ha ha - Sushil ! I just came across this today.
Congratulations on running past the 20K milestone !

All I can say is Power for the Powerless, Power for the Needy not the Greedy and quote that great bhajan (Allah Tero Naam) from the movie Hum Dono...nirbal Ko Bal Denewaale, balawaanon Ko De De Dynaaan - which to me means use the tuning box only if it is desperately needed and if you already have a powerful enough vehicle - use it responsibly.

Personally I am not in favour of installing such gizmos after having helped a friend install one and experiencing it to some extent.
For a few reasons too - reduced engine life, impact on other sub-systems of a balanced vehicle - gear box, clutch, exhaust emissions, FE, need to change the air filter etc.
And of course as a rather ordinary denizen of Indian roads - what exactly do I do with the additional power on the roads around me - even highways ? I barely go above 60% of my current capabilities.
Siiigh ! The perils of being just an ordinary driver I guess. An old stick in the mud.
Good to see you Guderian! Where have you been missing?

The only reasons the vile thoughts about add-on chip crossed my mind were claims of improved efficiency while delivering higher toque, which I thought could offset any impact of switching the tyre to 215-65-R16 from 215-60-R16. I had sort of assumed that because a variant of Yeti is available at 170 BHP, the add on chip would just retune the engine to 170 BHP configuration, already available.

Little did I realize that this is not so, and the increased power is effected in ways that has potential of reducing the life and reliability of other components. The unintended consequences, I now realize, far outweigh any benefits that may accrue.

Any which way, I am a rather sedate driver, hardly taking the vehicle beyond 100 kmph, which gives me an average highway speed of 50-55 km/h. Surprising as it might sound driving more aggressively in reality often results in reduced average speeds. Beyond a point, fast is actually slow - at least in my case.

So the thought of add-on chips is out. Thanks for ensuring that it does not return either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Congrats Sushil on the 20K Milestone. The tyres Goodyear Excellence were imports. probably the rubber isnt adaptable to the Indian heat. Anyways No Need to worry regarding replacements. Michelin Primacy LC tyres are available off the shelf in the same size. They are Green Tyres and here is the link - Michelin Primacy LC . as regards the swirl marks and 3M treatment to remove them, its all pure BS. the best i can suggest is Klasse 6 Stage Paint Protection System which is done by Carzspa. costs about 5500/- for the yeti, but trust me, you will find that the car looks and feels new after the treatment. difference between 3M and Klasse is that 3M is Polymer based paint sealant which is becoming outdated and Klasse is acrylic Paint Sealant. google the names and also Polymer V/s Acrylic Paint Sealants and you will know what i am trying to tell you. also i have noticed 3M treatment wearing out soon. a Cheaper treatment would be Waxoyl protection.

@Shankar The Spare wheel even though of a smaller width, is of the same size 195/60/16. the stock ones are 215/60/16. difference in width is 20 mm. or 2 cms.

am planning to get a Yeti for myself along with Shankar. like they say two is strength..and so a lot of negotiations with the Dealer are on for the best deal. Have paid a booking amount and blocked the Vehicle, noted the VIN and KM readings and did a mini PDI. Hope to liquidate my previous car within the next 3-5 days and Bring Home the YETI!
@Sunilraj. Thanks for the information about the tyre and the protection treatment.

Having bitten the dust twice in quick succession, I am a bit wary of road-only tires. I am therefore on a lookout for A/T or at least H/T tires, failing which some good boot other SUV (even if Yeti is pretending to be one, rather than being one). Guderian had recommended Yoko Geolanders A/T or H/T but they are not available in the recommended size or even for 215-65-R16 at this moment.

Thanks very much for pointing out the benefits of Klass 6 stage paint protection. Would you have any idea if this is available in Pune?

I look forward to the ownership threads from Shankar and you. BTW, Yeti should be available on demand. Why a need to book it now?
Old 13th November 2011, 09:58   #215
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks! yes it is a perfect vehicle for a family like ours - just the 2 of us mostly and occasionally the parents.
for us it is more than sufficient and I like its refined nature vis a vis my Scorpio which is the reason for all this research and thought process.
cheers

Quote:

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2011 at 12:54. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 13th November 2011, 11:22   #216
Senior - BHPian

Its not only the width, but the height of sidewall (aspect ratio) will also be lower, hence the recommendation not to drive over 80 kmph.

Quote:

Old 13th November 2011, 12:57   #217
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Good to see you Guderian! Where have you been missing?

The only reasons the vile thoughts about add-on chip crossed my mind were claims of improved efficiency while delivering higher toque, which I thought could offset any impact of switching the tyre to 215-65-R16 from 215-60-R16. I had sort of assumed that because a variant of Yeti is available at 170 BHP, the add on chip would just retune the engine to 170 BHP configuration, already available.

Yeti is available on demand. but i want one which isnt driven down to Mangalore from Bangalore, but rather transported through Trucks. else when i take delivery it would be 375 kms run! this one which i have blocked has 23 km on the ODO

Klasse 6 Stage Car detailing is done by the franchisees of carzspa. website is www.carzspa.com

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2011 at 12:54. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 13:53   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Yeti is available on demand. but i want one which isnt driven down to Mangalore from Bangalore, but rather transported through Trucks. else when i take delivery it would be 375 kms run! this one which i have blocked has 23 km on the ODO

Klasse 6 Stage Car detailing is done by the franchisees of carzspa. website is www.carzspa.com
Good thinking! God alone knows how it driven for the first 375 km.

I had a look the link you've posted. There appears to be one franchisee in Mumbai/Thane. However, there is no address. I'll send an e-mail to carzspa and find out.

Have you already had a TD in your new car as part of personal PD inspection? I can't seem to wait for your review.
Old 13th November 2011, 16:01   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Good thinking! God alone knows how it driven for the first 375 km.

I had a look the link you've posted. There appears to be one franchisee in Mumbai/Thane. However, there is no address. I'll send an e-mail to carzspa and find out.

Have you already had a TD in your new car as part of personal PD inspection? I can't seem to wait for your review.
Yes. even though the Drivers who get the vehicle down to Mangalore by road are good, the roads arent!

Pune should be having a franchisee for carzspa if i remember well reading on these forums.

i didnt do a TD on the New car. but when it is made ready for delivery, i intend to have one.

The review should be up in a fortnights time, if all goes well
Old 15th November 2011, 08:32   #220
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - rear seat legroom

The small external size of Yeti is a boon in city as well as narrow rural and hill roads. However from inside it has substantial room.

The rear seat leg-room is an important consideration for the passenger comfort - particularly on long journeys. I find that my finicky 6 foot teenager sits uncomplainingly behind me in both Yeti and Jazz.

Here is a comparison for rear-seat leg-room min/max for Yeti and some other cars (Source Autocar November 2011):

1. Yeti - 64/90 cm
2. BMW X1 - 55/79 cm
3. BMW X3 - 67/90 cm
4. BMW X5 - 61/84 cm
5. BMW X6 - 61/83 cm
6. Honda Jazz - 67/91 cm
7. Ford Endeavour - 72/96 cm
8. Santa Fe - 66/92 cm
9. Freelander 2 - 62/89 cm
10. Mahindra Bolero - 68/79 cm
11. Mahindra Scorpio - 70/92 cm
12. Mahindra XUV 500 - ?
13. X-Trail - 63/86 cm
14. Innova - 69/92 cm
15. Fortuner - 71/94 cm
SushilBajpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 08:43   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - rear seat legroom

Quote:
The small external size of Yeti is a boon in city as well as narrow rural and hill roads. However from inside it has substantial room.

The rear seat leg-room is an important consideration for the passenger comfort - particularly on long journeys. I find that my finicky 6 foot teenager sits uncomplainingly behind me in both Yeti and Jazz.

Here is a comparison for rear-seat leg-room min/max for Yeti and some other cars (Source Autocar November 2011):

1. Yeti - 64/90 cm
2. BMW X1 - 55/79 cm
3. BMW X3 - 67/90 cm
4. BMW X5 - 61/84 cm
5. BMW X6 - 61/83 cm
6. Honda Jazz - 67/91 cm
7. Ford Endeavour - 72/96 cm
8. Santa Fe - 66/92 cm
9. Freelander 2 - 62/89 cm
10. Mahindra Bolero - 68/79 cm
11. Mahindra Scorpio - 70/92 cm
12. Mahindra XUV 500 - ?
13. X-Trail - 63/86 cm
14. Innova - 69/92 cm
15. Fortuner - 71/94 cm
Thanks for the details Sushil.
Yes, even we have felt the difference in the legspace. Also, even I found that the headroom is also much more than most other SUVs and tall people do not have an issue of their head banging against handles on every turn! When I had test driven the Fortuner, I had found this to happen even with my 5'8" height! The inside space in the Yeti is actually quite a lot for the exterior size.
The rear AC vents are the only intrusion which give a sense of lesser leg space. In fact in the new 4x2 variant, the rear AC vents are being removed, so it may actually have more space in the rear middle seat.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 16th November 2011, 06:39   #222
BHPian

@ sushil and all other yeti owners

could you please tell me if you had to purchase the basic motor policy from bajaj allianz or you could have your own insurer ? extended warranty can be purchased if desired and for this skoda which has a tie up with bajaj to hedge its risk. is that right ?
Old 16th November 2011, 07:03   #223
BHPian

Quote:
@ sushil and all other yeti owners

could you please tell me if you had to purchase the basic motor policy from bajaj allianz or you could have your own insurer ? extended warranty can be purchased if desired and for this skoda which has a tie up with bajaj to hedge its risk. is that right ?
I purchased the Yeti with Skoda Shield plus Skoda Assure together with the extended warranty (4 years/1,00,000 km). Skoda dealer did not adequately explain the various components, pushing all questions on policy and Skoda. To date this continues to be gray area.

Basically I went along with whatever was offered by Skoda, and that means Bajaj Allianz + Skoda.

Now I need to renew the policy and am again looking for answers, which don't appear to be forthcoming.
Old 16th November 2011, 07:21   #224
BHPian

well this is definitely a grey area.
i am given a quote of 58863 for basic motor insurance + 19027 for ext. warranty + 14370 for Drive assure which basically is a add-on of bajaj.

skoda shield as per the skoda website consists of one year motor insurance policy + extended warranty + 24/7 roadside assistance.

my question to the dealer was the bajaj website quote on an idv of 1630,000 is 42666 and extended warranty 19027 totally should be 61693 and that i would like to have depreciation guard + engine protect which should be another 5-6 k. i wouldnt want to have the 24/7 roadside assistance provided by the insurer as i would be paying for two road side assistance services.

skoda assure - this is not a product. drive assure is a product of bajaj allianz please see the attached pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Drive_Assure_BenifitConditions.pdf (152.3 KB, 444 views)
File Type: pdf skoda-shield.pdf (42.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: pdf RSA_leaflet.pdf (1.05 MB, 282 views)
Old 13th March 2012, 20:03   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sushil,

No updates on your Yeti for a long time! So far mine has covered around 21k kms and only unresolved issue still is the tyres.

Regards.
Behemoth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks