Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 23:44   #166
akp
BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
It's always the overall diameter that is important in order to be on safe side with least error showing in speedo and gear ratio. Here's is the simple calculation guys:

Tyres size : 215/60/R16 i.e.
215 x .60 x2 = 258.
R16 x 25.4 = 406.4
The overall diameter of the stock size comes to 258 + 406.4 = 664.4

Same way for 215/65/R16 the overall diameter comes to 685.9.
To get the % just divide 664.4 with 685.9 i.e. +0.96%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Invinsible,
Just a slight miscalculation in the last part above of your calculation.
The old tyre as a ratio vs the new size is close to 96.5% and the difference in the sizes is approx 3.5% (exact 3.25%). The percentage is calculated for the difference in Outside diameter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
It's the overall diameter that plays important role when talking about errors related speedo, gear ratio in which case it remains under 1%. If it was over 1%, wouldn't have recommended.

Behemoth is right - percentage change is indeed over 3. The new diameter (664.4) is 96.87% of the original diameter (685.9), which means the difference is 3.13%.

What has gone wrong with your calculation is that you have merely looked at the ratio 664.4/685.9 and got excited by the figure .96 and declared it as percentage without multiplying by 100! In the process, you also forgot that you were not measuring the difference but merely expressing the new diameter as certain percent of the old diameter. Clearly the figure should be close to 100 (like 96.87 here) - it certainly wont be anywhere close to 1%.

@SushilBajpai: thanks for a wonderful review. Will be watching your thread closely, as yeti is on my radar as well.
akp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 16:11   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sushil,
Any luck in find a good source for tyres..? I was reading in Autobild magazine recently and even the Long term test Yeti which they have , has undergone extensive tyre wear in 30,000 kms which they have driven and quite a lot of sidewall damage to the tyres. They have reported that after 15,000 kms, the incidences of punctures was also very high.
Seems like we need to find a replacement solution soon!
The BFG tyres that I was trying to find are also not available due to the ISI marking issue.
One more option is MRF ZV2K, which is also available in the stock size of 215/60 R16. These tyres are rugged enough for Indian conditions, but not too sure how they would perform on the Yeti.
Do let me know if you get any breakthrough!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 11:35   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sushil,
Any luck in find a good source for tyres..? I was reading in Autobild magazine recently and even the Long term test Yeti which they have , has undergone extensive tyre wear in 30,000 kms which they have driven and quite a lot of sidewall damage to the tyres. They have reported that after 15,000 kms, the incidences of punctures was also very high.
Seems like we need to find a replacement solution soon!
The BFG tyres that I was trying to find are also not available due to the ISI marking issue.
One more option is MRF ZV2K, which is also available in the stock size of 215/60 R16. These tyres are rugged enough for Indian conditions, but not too sure how they would perform on the Yeti.
Do let me know if you get any breakthrough!
Three weeks later since I discovered the damaged tyre, I have not been able to get a new Goodyear Excellence tyre to replace the damaged one. Goodyear dealers say that this tyre is not available.

I have raised the issue with Skoda India again a couple of days ago. They are yet to respond.
Old 15th August 2011, 12:29   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sushil,
Might be good idea then to change 2 tyres and opt for some other brand. But you will keep the same tread pattern on the axle and preferably put them on the rear. You can use the other good tyre in the spare instead of the spacesaver.
Regards,
Behemoth
Old 15th August 2011, 17:08   #170
Senior - BHPian

1. Can anyone share how often they have used the Hill Descent Control feature and Off Road mode and their experience with the same?
2.How has been the experience of the Yeti's Traction Control and ESP when driving in wet conditions on highways where stray animals/ humans can suddenly appear?
3.Do the external side mirrors fold in electrically or manually?
4.How is the rear parcel shelf - the fibre one which I believe comes as stock in thhe Yeti?
5.Is there an option to have a retractable one made of PVC/ Nylon which can be retro fitted in the Yeti?
6.Any bad scrapes to the under chassis on lousy cratered roads such as the ones in Bangalore?
7.How expensive was the first service?
8. What's been the experience with FE - City and Highway driving - driving normally without attempting the land speed record.
9. How is the Quality of the Radio Bolero 6 CD Audio system with its 8 speakers (Elegance)?

Would be much obliged for this information.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2011 at 17:11.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:45   #171
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
2.How has been the experience of the Yeti's Traction Control and ESP when driving in wet conditions on highways where stray animals/ humans can suddenly appear?
4.How is the rear parcel shelf - the fibre one which I believe comes as stock in thhe Yeti?
5.Is there an option to have a retractable one made of PVC/ Nylon which can be retro fitted in the Yeti?
8. What's been the experience with FE - City and Highway driving - driving normally without attempting the land speed record.
9. How is the Quality of the Radio Bolero 6 CD Audio system with its 8 speakers (Elegance)?

Thanks in advance.
hi Shankar,

2. The Yeti brakes extremely well on wet slippery roads. My only worry has been the vehicle in my rear not being able to brake so well!

3. The mirrors have to be folded in manually.

4. The rear parcel shelf is quite sturdy, but I have removed the same as my kids like to go and sit in the back frequently.

5. I did not come across these options.

8. Highway driving at steady speeds of 90-95kmph gives FE of 19.5-20. City driving FE ranges from 10-16 depending on the traffic conditions.

9. The Bolero system with speakers is simply outstanding. Just try a Zakir Hussain CD and you will keep that permanently in there just to showoff to others and savour the pure music.

Cheers.
Old 16th August 2011, 09:01   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1. Can anyone share how often they have used the Hill Descent Control feature and Off Road mode and their experience with the same?
6.Any bad scrapes to the under chassis on lousy cratered roads such as the ones in Bangalore?
7.How expensive was the first service?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Shankar,

My experiences on these aspects:
1) My version being Ambeinte does not have Hill descent. It is essentially a controlled braking done by the car when on a steep slope going down. Off road button is an adaptation of response of all the system like Traction control, Electronic Stability perception, Anti Slip regulation, Anti-lock braking, etc so that they perform better in off road conditions. Ambeinte has all these features, but no off-road button to set them in off-road mode.
2) Traction control and ESP are very good. I had not tried emergency swerve braking, but have tried a slalom at 80+ speed and it is very stable. Also I did a full hard brake from 120 to zero and the rear did not swing at all. As VB-San also mentioned, the Yeti brakes very well, just the person following you in their car might not be able to!
3) They fold only manually. Future L&K version may have electric folding mirrors, along with memory seats (this is a linked feature).
4) Parcel shelf if very strong and rigid. My 4 year old often climbed up on it and it can take his 15 kg weight easily. However most of the time I take it out as it gives more space for him to play, and also gives better boot space.
5) Yes, I think that it should be possible. Some people have gotten it done - check on Briskoda.
6)None so far in Gurgaon, and also on my outstation trips even on the worst roads (or no-roads) that we have encountered on my trips to Nainital/ Bareilly. Even with a full load, it does not bottom out at all.
7) First service is not yet done for me.. (only 10K on the odo yet, and expect another 3-4 months before I reach 15k)
8) In Gurgaon, my FE comes in the range of 14-16, depending on how I drive. Light footed driving on highways gives around 18-19. City driving in bad traffic gives 12-13.
9) My Ambiente has the swing system, and the SQ is exceptional. It also has the same 8 speaker system.

Hope this helps!
Old 16th August 2011, 09:17   #173
Senior - BHPian

Behemoth and VBN - much obliged for your informative, clear and crisp replies! Thanks!

Couple more queries:
Comparo - How does the Yeti compare with the Tucson - GC, overall balance,handling, toughness etc. Also - would like views on whether the Yeti is comparable to the Tucson in the International Market or is the Tucson more comparable to the Duster etc?

Insurance - suppose Im wishing to upgrade and I also wish to migrate my Insurance along with the new vehicle purchase so as to take benefit of my 50% no claim bonus, is this possible? While technically I know it is possible because I ve done it before, I was told by the Skoda dealer that this was not allowed for Skoda Insurance. Need to clarify this point - they typically have no right to disallow this, because it is accepted business practice everywhere. But I would like to know from actual consumers like you what your experience has been.

This research is a long road and Im not going to leap into their shop with the cash until Ive done all the necessary due diligence.

Will keep raising queries of this kind now and then

thanks!
Old 16th August 2011, 10:33   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Behemoth and VBN - much obliged for your informative, clear and crisp replies! Thanks!

Couple more queries:
Comparo - How does the Yeti compare with the Tucson - GC, overall balance,handling, toughness etc. Also - would like views on whether the Yeti is comparable to the Tucson in the International Market or is the Tucson more comparable to the Duster etc?

Insurance - suppose Im wishing to upgrade and I also wish to migrate my Insurance along with the new vehicle purchase so as to take benefit of my 50% no claim bonus, is this possible? While technically I know it is possible because I ve done it before, I was told by the Skoda dealer that this was not allowed for Skoda Insurance. Need to clarify this point - they typically have no right to disallow this, because it is accepted business practice everywhere. But I would like to know from actual consumers like you what your experience has been.

This research is a long road and Im not going to leap into their shop with the cash until Ive done all the necessary due diligence.

Will keep raising queries of this kind now and then

thanks!
Hi Shankar,

On the Comparison with Tucson, I would not be able to offer much insight, as I have not used a Tucson ever. However, my personal feeling is that the old Tucson may not be a good option, as it is discontinued, and you will have issues with reliability and parts in future. For a vehicle with some offroad capability, it is bound to be exposed to rougher terrain and you need more peace of mind on service and spares. If however Hyundai launches the IX45 here, it would be a different story altogether and would be a good alternative to the Yeti.
The Yeti in international markets is compared mostly to Ford Kuga and BMW X1, Kia Sportage and Toyota RAV4. You can find some good comparisons on the TopGear website.

Regarding the insurance, yes, I also came to know that it is not possible as the first year insurance is clubbed with the Skoda shield and Skoda Assure. These are definitely recommended, and would not come with the insurance policy transfer if you take it.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 16th August 2011, 12:10   #175
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the insights
in effect then, one cant transfer one's existing no claim to the new vehicle on account of their not allowing the assurance and shield.
hence the potential saving one can make on the insurance - which is close to 35K is not going to be possible.
In a scenario like this one can only push hard for a discount direct from the manufacturer/ dealer and thus save some cash on the price of the Elegance.
interesting information. Not sure yet what I will do or buy though I really like the Yeti very much and can see myself using it for 7 years or so quite happily in case I do buy.

Quote:
Hi Shankar,

On the Comparison with Tucson, I would not be able to offer much insight, as I have not used a Tucson ever. However, my personal feeling is that the old Tucson may not be a good option, as it is discontinued, and you will have issues with reliability and parts in future. For a vehicle with some offroad capability, it is bound to be exposed to rougher terrain and you need more peace of mind on service and spares. If however Hyundai launches the IX45 here, it would be a different story altogether and would be a good alternative to the Yeti.
The Yeti in international markets is compared mostly to Ford Kuga and BMW X1, Kia Sportage and Toyota RAV4. You can find some good comparisons on the TopGear website.

Regarding the insurance, yes, I also came to know that it is not possible as the first year insurance is clubbed with the Skoda shield and Skoda Assure. These are definitely recommended, and would not come with the insurance policy transfer if you take it.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 16th August 2011, 12:32   #176
Senior - BHPian

I am not so sure. I am pretty sure that one of my colleague transferred his 50% NCB to his new Laura and he bought the Skoda Shield as well.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:36   #177
Senior - BHPian

do check and let us know please. also which dealer was this done at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am not so sure. I am pretty sure that one of my colleague transferred his 50% NCB to his new Laura and he bought the Skoda Shield as well.
Old 16th August 2011, 15:16   #178
Senior - BHPian

He bought his car in Gurgaon. Will try to find out .
Old 16th August 2011, 17:04   #179
Senior - BHPian

i checked with skoda tafe access bangalore this afternoon
they are currently offering 40 grand discount (corporate + reduced insurance payment). they are also allowing me to transfer my insurance no claim bonus from the present vehicle to the new Yeti .
the charges for the 2 year extended warranty is Rs 19072/-
normally they quote the skoda assure insurance + skoda shield together which is why it comes to 77334 odd.
the breakup here in bangalore is
YETI ELEGANCE = 1695302
skoda assure + shield = 77334
road tax 18.87% and handling charges = 333303
on road Bangalore = 2105939.
given their offer I guess one can get this car on road Bangalore at about 20.5 lacs which is not bad and not super great either.
the chap says he will keep me update month on month on the offers to help me decide.
my thought is to pay 50% downpayment and take the rest on a loan for 4 years - I believe the EMI per lac is around 2496 for a 4 year tenure and 2194 for a 5 year tenure of loan. effective rate of interest = 11.25% on diminishing balance. offer from ICICI bank.
Am just doing the preliminary due diligence and pre-purchase research now - not intending to buy till possibly March/ April 2012 just around the time my Scorp becomes 4 years old and its extended warranty expires.
by then hopefully things will become clear on the Renault Koleos, Mahindra Korando C, Mahindra W201, Renault Duster as well so one can decide in a better way at the time! But the Skoda Yeti is seriously a top vehicle - just ideal, compact and beautifully put together - it is quite an attractive object of desire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
He bought his car in Gurgaon. Will try to find out .
Old 25th August 2011, 18:59   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai

Three weeks later since I discovered the damaged tyre, I have not been able to get a new Goodyear Excellence tyre to replace the damaged one. Goodyear dealers say that this tyre is not available.

I have raised the issue with Skoda India again a couple of days ago. They are yet to respond.
Hi Sushil,
I also still haven't found any option on the tyres in AT. However, in car tyres, Goodyear has launched Assurance fuelmax which have a UTQG of 580AA against the stock Excellence tyres which were rated 240AA. These might be a decent alternative, though I am not sure whether, they are capable of going to LEH. They are classified as "all season" tyres though in international markets. These are available in India, haven't checked the price though.
(Tread pattern is different, so you will need to change two tyres.)

Regards,
Behemoth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks