Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 22:23   #31
BHPian

Re: The Abominable Yeti - The First Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I'm a bit surprised that there are no rain-sensing wipers, especially since the rain sensor is there to operate the windows for auto closing.
I was told at the time of my dekkho that the Yeti DID have rain sensing wipers but no auto headlights.

Do check and let us know what the case actually is. Going through the manual is no use as it shows you everything that might make its way into the car, with no distinction between what you have and what might have been!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Does this options mean that the windows roll up if it starts raining? Did you get a chance to try it out yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I am as perplexed as you, regarding rain sensing wipers.

The MFD setup has the provision for activating rain-sensing automatic window closing. I have enabled that. However, I have no idea whether and how it works.

I'll try again sometime. If I succeed I wll report accordingly.
I was able to guess where the rain sensor could be located in Yeti. I appears to be located on the rear view mirror where it is stuck to the wind-shield.

I decided to carry out some experiments. With my friend Amol in tow, and a hand held water sprayer in one hand, I once again struggled with the manual.

Amol kept spraying water on the wind screen (from outside of course), while I tried to figure out what exactly happens. We observed the following

1. The wipers DO NOT start automatically.
2. However when the wipers are started in standard mode, and suddenly a lot of water is chucked on the wind screen, the wipers speed up automatically. As the simulated rain reduced, the speed of the wipers also appeared to slow down.
3. It is also possible to select the sensitivity of this function.
4. Even though we have enabled automatic rain closing function for the windows in the Maxi DOT setup, there was no effect of any amount rain that we simulated on the windows. They did not budge from the open position.

I therefore conclude that Elegance is offered with half hearted and partially lame rain detection and automation for wipers (which appears to work partly) and windows (which we could not get to work).
Old 15th December 2010, 23:32   #32
BHPian

Great review Sushil. Your off-roading experience has only vindicated my decision to buy
a Yeti. I am eagerly awaiting delivery later this month. Do let us know if you figure out
how to turn on the rain-sensing wipers. I was lead to believe that Yeti has that feature.

Counting me and you, looks like 4 BHPians have booked/bought the Yeti. Looks like this is going to be one helluva popular car
Old 16th December 2010, 08:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I therefore conclude that Elegance is offered with half hearted and partially lame rain detection and automation for wipers (which appears to work partly) and windows (which we could not get to work).
Let me add the wipers on the Skoda including the rain sensing function is more speed dependant. You will notice this during actual rains. Even the basic interval speed works along the speed of your car. The time it takes to function at the standstill will be different to once it crosses the speed of 40.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Let me add the wipers on the Skoda including the rain sensing function is more speed dependant. You will notice this during actual rains. Even the basic interval speed works along the speed of your car. The time it takes to function at the standstill will be different to once it crosses the speed of 40.
This is something new. Obviously I'll not be able setup an experiment to verify or observe how this thing works. I guess I'll wait for the rains.

However, what confounds me is that the wiper switch, provides two separate controls. One is straight forward, found on all cars, that changes the speed of the wiper blades - slow, fast, intermittent etc. There is another selector, which is supposed to set the sensitivity for the rain sensor.

From your comments, I gather that the automatic function would get superimposed on the speed that one has selected manually. Is that right? Does it work. And what is the best position for the sensor sensitivity? Or does it depend on the "type of rain" - drizzle, light rain rain, normal rain, shower, pouring rain!

Nero posed several paradoxes to the greek philosophers which, further confounded the already confused Greeks, no end. The Yeti designers, their techies and the authors of their manual, make me feel like one of those confused and doubly confounded Greeks.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:25   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think even with automatic wipers, if they are in the off position they will NOT start automatically. They have to be moved to the first position (If I remember correctly) and then onwards they will work automatically.

As for the windows, it wont work when you are in the car. Try it like this, leave the windows down, lock the car. Then pour some water on the windscreen and see the windows will go up. They are mainly meant for European countries where people leave their cars parked with the windows down.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think even with automatic wipers, if they are in the off position they will NOT start automatically. They have to be moved to the first position (If I remember correctly) and then onwards they will work automatically.

As for the windows, it wont work when you are in the car. Try it like this, leave the windows down, lock the car. Then pour some water on the windscreen and see the windows will go up. They are mainly meant for European countries where people leave their cars parked with the windows down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Does this options mean that the windows roll up if it starts raining? Did you get a chance to try it out yet?
@ Akshay, Thanks for the explanation for automatic windows closing. I tried the function as you suggested, and it works! I rolled the windows down, locked the car, went out and poured some water on the rain sensor. The windows smartly closed after a couple of seconds. Pretty cool. I occasionally leave windows cracked open in summer to prevent excssive heat build. Should then there be a thunder shower, the windows should close on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
Great review Sushil. Your off-roading experience has only vindicated my decision to buy a Yeti. I am eagerly awaiting delivery later this month. Do let us know if you figure out
how to turn on the rain-sensing wipers. I was lead to believe that Yeti has that feature.

Counting me and you, looks like 4 BHPians have booked/bought the Yeti. Looks like this is going to be one helluva popular car
I could not find specific switches that turn on automatic rain wipers, although the manual does have a mention about them. They must be part of another variant - in some other part of the globe.

Although Akshay says they work when you start them off once. So I guess they do their own thing. when exposed to rain.

My experience with the Yeti has so far been exceptionally good. Let me know when you get yours. BTW, which variant are you contemplating?
Old 16th December 2010, 14:44   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Akshay, Thanks for the explanation for automatic windows closing. I tried the function as you suggested, and it works! I rolled the windows down, locked the car, went out and poured some water on the rain sensor. The windows smartly closed after a couple of seconds. Pretty cool. I occasionally leave windows cracked open in summer to prevent excssive heat build. Should then there be a thunder shower, the windows should close on their own.
Glad to know I was off some help. We too are considering the Yeti, early next year, along with the Laura L&K and Superb, of course depending on the budget.
Old 16th December 2010, 15:18   #38
BHPian

Auto wipe

Attached is a diagram for wash wipe switch and possible position for autowipe feature.
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14-washwipe.jpg
Rain sensor
– Move the lever into position 1 .
– You can set the sensitivity of the sensor individually with switch A.

Hope this helps.

-Pramod
Old 16th December 2010, 15:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From your comments, I gather that the automatic function would get superimposed on the speed that one has selected manually. Is that right? Does it work. And what is the best position for the sensor sensitivity? Or does it depend on the "type of rain" - drizzle, light rain rain, normal rain, shower, pouring rain!
It's leaving the wiper in " intermittent " that works as per the speed of the car. Generally it has 4 speed settings. The actual speed at which the wipers operates under this mode when the car is moving doubles up at standstill or moving in bumper to bumper traffic.
Same goes for with its rains sensing, the running time under rain sensing will be longer at slow speeds than running at actual speed higher than 30-40kms/hr.
You would be surprised to know that the rear wiper too works on its own when its raining how ? Well, whether it's just drizzle or rain, if you sloth the gear in reverse the rear wiper will "come on" for just once on it's own to clean up the rear glass so that one can get better view while reversing. I suspect there is some kinda rain sensor there at the back to take care of this. I experienced this no. of times in the Fabia Elegance model.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th December 2010 at 15:40.
Old 16th December 2010, 20:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:

My experience with the Yeti has so far been exceptionally good. Let me know when you get yours. BTW, which variant are you contemplating?
I booked the elegance in Corrida red color. We would be taking a look at the red in person. If we like it we will go ahead. Else the compromise between me and my wife is the brown color
Old 17th December 2010, 01:13   #41
BHPian

Skoda have gone cutting costs on Yeti in a strange way. There are only rear mud-flaps. And no supply for front mud flaps. While their website mentions plastic/rubber floor mats, they too are not available.

A vehicle that is supposed to rough and tumble (off-roading) should have had these accessories as standard.

I keep discovering new features every day. That makes the initial ownership interesting. For instance I realised today that there are levers provided in the glove box and the one under the front seat arm-rest, which if pulled allow these to be cooled. Otherwise they are not cooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
One word of advice for you. The Yeti comes with standard road tyres, and their sidewalls are not strong enough to take the nicks and cuts of off roading. If you do plan to take it off road consistently, invest in a set of good off road/AT tyres.
What would be good off-road/AT tyres for Yeti?

I ask this question more out of curiosity and to gain knowledge because I am unlikely to be doing extensive off-roading. However, I do intend to visit wilderness, but mostly restrict myself to unpaved road rather than hard core off-roading.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th December 2010 at 03:20.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Skoda have gone cutting costs on Yeti in a strange way. There are only rear mud-flaps. And no supply for front mud flaps. While their website mentions plastic/rubber floor mats, they too are not available.

A vehicle that is supposed to rough and tumble (off-roading) should have had these accessories as standard.

I keep discovering new features every day. That makes the initial ownership interesting. For instance I realised today that there are levers provided in the glove box and the one under the front seat arm-rest, which if pulled allow these to be cooled. Otherwise they are not cooled.

What would be good off-road/AT tyres for Yeti?
Here's the link where I posted the query on Yeti tyres. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...l-upgrade.html

For now it would be Conti Extreme DWS that might need to import.

There is also Yokohama Geolander ATS tyre for both on/off road available in stock tyre size locally here.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

@sushil

I am not suggesting that oil be changed BEFORE it is required, but one needs to be very clear on oil change with diesels especially. It can make or break the life of the engine.

As regards the tyres the YOKOHAMA Geolanders are perfect for on & off road, I am running them on my Pajero, they work well.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 17th December 2010 at 11:42.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@sushil
As regards the tyres the YOKOHAMA Geolanders are perfect for on & off road, I am running them on my Pajero, they work well.
How is the performance on these during rain? and how's the road noise ?
Old 17th December 2010, 12:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Here's the link where I posted the query on Yeti tyres. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...l-upgrade.html

For now it would be Conti Extreme DWS that might need to import.

There is also Yokohama Geolander ATS tyre for both on/off road available in stock tyre size locally here.
Thanks invinsible! the stock tyres supplied with Yeti are GoodYear Excellence, and their ride quality and grip appears pretty good to me. However, I'll keep an eye on the thread you've referred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@sushil

I am not suggesting that oil be changed BEFORE it is required, but one needs to be very clear on oil change with diesels especially. It can make or break the life of the engine.

Cheers
Ricky, your advise is well taken. I will monitor the oil. I do appreciate the need for more frequent oil change if the vehicle is run in difficult/dusty conditions. I think I'll take your advise and get the 1st oil change at 7,500 km., and then depending on usage condition of the oil (including the oil consumption rate), I'll figure if I could increase to manufacturers recommended figures.

The Yokohoma Geolanders on my friend's Outlander appear to make lot more road-noise than the stock tyres on Yeti. Is it possible that road noise insulation is poorer in outlander than Yeti.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 17th December 2010 at 12:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks