Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 09:09   #136
BHPian

Re: Honda City I-VTEC V AT (2011) - review after 400 KMs

Would suggest keep the AC in fresh air mode if rolling down windows a bit is not a feasible option, this is a must in case you have leather interiors. It would help is maintaining inside Vs Outside temperature (not to the complete but to an extent)
Old 4th May 2011, 18:59   #137
BHPian

Can anyone comment on the availability of City Exclusive V MT in Bangalore? Dealers seem to give people the impression it is limited edition, which cannot be true, since the website does mention of its availability. Also, the price for the above variant in Bangalore has recently been updated by 12,000+. I have personally seen 3 in Bangalore, one red, one black and one Urban Titanium. There's an AT Urban Titanium up for sale in Bangalore in Team-bhp classifieds as well.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:10   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Can anyone comment on the availability of City Exclusive V MT in Bangalore?
Don't know in Bangalore but it is available here in NCR. I recently visited three Honda dealerships (Ring Road Honda & Classic Honda) for inquiring about leather seat covers and there was exclusive model in all showrooms for display. Do check some other dealer in your area or contact Honda helpline number for further clarification. Maybe the dealer don’t have the car in stock and giving you excuses so that you may buy the available model with them.

Last edited by bluevolt : 4th May 2011 at 23:36.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:21   #139
BHPian

What engine oil should be used in Honda city? I sent in the car for a second service and got a phone call inquiring about the type of oil I would prefer. One was substantially expensive, but not mentioned in the car manual! Please advice.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:26   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
What engine oil should be used in Honda city? I sent in the car for a second service and got a phone call inquiring about the type of oil I would prefer. One was substantially expensive, but not mentioned in the car manual! Please advice.
There are 2 options : synthetic (~ Rs. 1800) and mineral (Rs. 900). Honda "recommends" synthetic but you could go with either. No disadvantages of mineral as such.

Mineral oil is to be changed every 5k kms while synthetic every 10k kms.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will prefer mineral oil only. In fact my dealer (Ring Road Honda) told me that change interval of both oils is same i.e. 5000 KM.

Whatever it may be I will suggest you to stick to mineral oil unless you do severe spirited driving up past 4-5K RPM most of the time. Also since the service interval recommended by Honda is 5K it will be better to change it every service.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:48   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There are 2 options : synthetic (~ Rs. 1800) and mineral (Rs. 900). Honda "recommends" synthetic but you could go with either. No disadvantages of mineral as such.

Mineral oil is to be changed every 5k kms while synthetic every 10k kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I will prefer mineral oil only. In fact my dealer (Ring Road Honda) told me that change interval of both oils is same i.e. 5000 KM.

Whatever it may be I will suggest you to stick to mineral oil unless you do severe spirited driving up past 4-5K RPM most of the time. Also since the service interval recommended by Honda is 5K it will be better to change it every service.

What are the attributes of synthetic oil? What is the type of oil in the engine, when the car is delivered to us?
Old 20th May 2011, 11:57   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are the attributes of synthetic oil? What is the type of oil in the engine, when the car is delivered to us?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post2335090 will give you a detailed comparison between synthetic and mineral oil.

On delivery, the engine has mineral oil.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 12:02   #144
BHPian

Synthetic Vs. Mineral Oil

The only basic difference between synthetic oil and mineral oil, apart from its manufacture and origin, is the molecular and particulate structure of both the lubricants. Synthetic oil being a perfected product, has a very even and uniform structuring of molecules and particulates. On the other hand, mineral oil contains uneven and less uniform molecules as compared to synthetic oil. Now, when the car, engine, piston and piston block is new, it is always advisable to use, mineral oil. The uneven molecular structure of mineral oil makes the uneven surfaces of the components and auto parts rub with each other and erode, thus making the surface even and smooth . This is very useful, as the young components of the engine get into shape and adapt to the mechanism. As the engine grows older, the components, get into shape and start running swiftly without any friction. This is where one should start using synthetic oil. This oil basically keeps the engine in shape and helps in increasing the durability of the engine.

There are several other advantages and disadvantages of synthetic oils as well as mineral oils. Going into the details is pretty difficult and also complex. The debate synthetic vs. mineral oil is almost as old as the time since they were found and is getting more and more complex day by day, due to the advancements that are being integrated in lubrication. The conclusion that which oil is better, hence still remains undecided.

The above is quoted from:
Synthetic Vs. Mineral Oil
Old 20th May 2011, 12:08   #145
BHPian

Another article discussing
Synthetic Oil Vs Regular Oil - Which One is Better?

Quoted from:
Synthetic Oil Vs Regular Oil

Both, synthetic oil as well as regular oil are basically used in the piston block of the car's engine. The piston block is cylindrical in shape and holds the piston with in it. The piston of your car keeps on moving up and down to keep the automobile running. The synthetic or the conventional motor oil forms a layer of molecules over the inner surfaces of piston blocks, thus smoothing out the motion of the pistons. There are two basic advantages of using these oils as lubricants in the engine. The first advantage is that the pistons get lubricated and there is ease of motion. The second advantage is the heat that is formed within the engine also gets substantially reduced, thereby increasing the life of the engine and the quality of firing. Another genuine advantage of using lubricating oil in the engine is that it drastically boosts the fuel economy of the automobile.

You must be wondering when choosing between synthetic oil vs regular conventional oil for motor which would prove to be beneficial. Before we actually look at the comparison, let us have a look at some of the proprieties and important characteristics of synthetic motor oil and conventional motor oil.

Though, the result of the debate, synthetic oil vs conventional oil is almost undecided, there are many characteristics and merits, as well as demerits of both the oils.

The boom in the automobile industry that occurred just before the World War I, saw many changes in the auto parts, lubricants and fuels that were used in the automobiles. In these initial stages of development, regular oil was used as a lubricant for the piston and piston blocks. The constant changes and improvisations in the conventional or regular oil has shown many proven advantages in using it as a lubricant.

Conventional lubrication oil which is also known as mineral oil, is a product of the process of frictional distillation, which is used to break down petroleum into various products. In case of conventional oil, the molecular structuring is rather uneven and yet possess a quality of high lubrication. The advantage of conventional motor oil is that it is cheaper than synthetic oil and is available almost universally.

The synthetic oil, on the other hand, is a man-made and is manufactured by the chemical industry using different processes. Unlike the nonuniform structure of the molecules in the conventional motor oil, the molecules of the synthetic oil are uniform to the extent of being almost identical to one another. This type of molecular structure is often considered as a very good merit or characteristic of any lubricant.

As mentioned above, the debate on synthetic motor oil vs regular oil does not have any kind of concrete conclusion. However, it is worth comparing the many merits and demerits of both the types of oils.

As we know, conventional motor oil that is derived from crude oil has an uneven molecular structure. This makes it suitable for new engines. The internal surfaces of the new engine, though shaped and forged very beautifully are not hundred percent accurate. Due to this, the inner surface of the piston block and the surface of the piston itself becomes extremely accurate, as the excess and inaccurate points (which are technically known faults) on the surfaces get shredded off as a result of the friction and heat. The uneven molecules aid this evening out of the auto components. There are, however, two drawbacks of this type of oil. The first drawback is that the regular oil gets oxidized at a very high temperature, which results into creation of pollutants. In same way, at very low temperatures, formation of sludge occurs which renders the oil, useless.

The synthetic oil, on the other hand, does not have any type of drawback, when it comes to extreme temperatures and air pollution. This type of oil is gives very good results, when it is used in car engines that are few years old. The synthetic oil is extremely instrumental, when it comes to preservation of the engine components and ensures excellent running of the engine. The only drawback is that the synthetic oil, in present day market, is rather costly. To know more about the debate on synthetic oil vs regular oil, read more on synthetic oil vs mineral oil.

As a conclusion it can be said that, to reduce the car engine problems, mineral oil should be used in the initial periods of the life of the engine, and for the later on years, it would be good to use the synthetic oil. Well, I hope this short debate on synthetic oil vs regular oil has managed to provide some useful information!
Old 20th May 2011, 12:13   #146
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...ml#post2335090 will give you a detailed comparison between synthetic and mineral oil.

As libran said; yes the vehicle is delivered with mineral oil.
Many Guru's in above thread recommended to stick to mineral oil. If at all you should change to synthetic then recommended to do after 10K kms with oil drained and then flush out of earlier remnants.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 20th May 2011 at 12:17.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:20   #147
BHPian

Quote:

Which make of synthetic oil is best for Honda City?
Old 20th May 2011, 12:26   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the type of oil in the engine, when the car is delivered to us?
It is provided with mineral oil only.

Quote:
When I went to Ring Road Honda for first service, I checked the price list and the synthetic oil was from Motul brand IIRC. It may differ with each dealer. Can’t comment which one is best as I haven’t used it till date on my car.

EDIT - I just called RR Honda and they have Mobil1 oil in stock.

Last edited by bluevolt : 20th May 2011 at 12:30.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 12:27   #149
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest go with the SA recommended as It would be Honda approved.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:10   #150
BHPian

Hilly drive

Since i bought the car, the price has gone down and the petrol price has gone up. My car average has fallen to about 13 Kms per litre.
Its done 9000 Kms
Hilly road drives in this car are a bit tricky, as the front pillar obstructs the view on bends. Any comments?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks