Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 11:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City I-VTEC V AT (2011) - review after 400 KMs

Hey do you know my dad? He definately does like sitting in the front passenger seat. And he is tall. You got that spot on! I agree with you 100% on the altis, hope mom agrees. There will be one downside though, wont be able to start a thread discussing this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
Mash, if it is driver driven, blindly go for the altis manual top end. It has luxury feel and better comfort at the rear than the ANHC.

Also, if your dad likes to sit in the front passenger seat, entry and exit from the ANHC can be an issue if he's tall.
Old 10th February 2011, 13:55   #62
BHPian

Till the car is brought back to parking mode, the ignition key cannot be taken out of the ignition point!
Old 10th February 2011, 13:58   #63
BHPian

mash: I am the soothsayer

rkap: It ensures that you don't leave the car in N or D. Also, note that the ignition cranks only if the brakes are on in P mode. If brakes are not on, it won't crank. I guess these are safety features.

Last edited by echo77 : 10th February 2011 at 14:01.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

I dont think we need to depress brake in P mode to start. I do it every morning and I dont think I apply brake while starting, though I am not sure! Things happen pretty automatically once you get used to the car and then you may not be able to tell the exact sequence of operations.

Yes. You cannot take out the keys in any other mode than P. Also the windows can be wound up or down for a few minutes even after switching off the engine, but before you take out the key.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:54   #65
BANNED

In my Civic you have to press the brake pedal and also have the car in P or N before you can turn the key.
Old 11th February 2011, 09:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

You definately are mate.

Well our 2008 civic does require you to be in park to crank. But one does not need to have the brakes depressed. I am absolutely certain, cause i sometimes crank the car in the morning without getting in to let the engine warm up before we start for the day. What i do is crank the engine then arrange all the bags and nick nacks in the car. By then the car is warmed up and we drive off.
[/b]
Quote:

rkap: It ensures that you don't leave the car in N or D. Also, note that the ignition cranks only if the brakes are on in P mode. If brakes are not on, it won't crank. I guess these are safety features.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:16   #67
BHPian

The car has done 1200 kms. I called the dealer for the first service.
Will post some photos after the service as the car has been consistently on the roads in wet conditions and thus unable to click photos!
One observation:
Titanium colour looks lighter in sunlight!
Old 15th February 2011, 21:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In my Civic you have to press the brake pedal and also have the car in P or N before you can turn the key.
I suggest you try it once again. I checked today and found that for starting I dont have to press the brake pedal. I can straight enter the car, put the key in the slot and turn to start. Nothing need to be done as long as the gear position is in P. I have a 2010 Civic.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I suggest you try it once again. I checked today and found that for starting I dont have to press the brake pedal. I can straight enter the car, put the key in the slot and turn to start. Nothing need to be done as long as the gear position is in P. I have a 2010 Civic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You definately are mate.

Well our 2008 civic does require you to be in park to crank. But one does not need to have the brakes depressed. I am absolutely certain, cause i sometimes crank the car in the morning without getting in to let the engine warm up before we start for the day. What i do is crank the engine then arrange all the bags and nick nacks in the car. By then the car is warmed up and we drive off.
[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I dont think we need to depress brake in P mode to start. I do it every morning and I dont think I apply brake while starting, though I am not sure! Things happen pretty automatically once you get used to the car and then you may not be able to tell the exact sequence of operations.

Yes. You cannot take out the keys in any other mode than P. Also the windows can be wound up or down for a few minutes even after switching off the engine, but before you take out the key.
Quote:

Thanks!

My observations:
  1. The ignition key cannot be taken out, till the AT lever is in P mode!
  2. Once the ignition key is taken out, the AT lever gets locked in P position. You cannot move it to N or R or any other position, till, the ignition key is inserted and turned.
  3. There is no need to put a foot on the brake to start the car.
  4. The car will only start (crank) in P position
Old 16th February 2011, 13:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

@rkap01 i am not in pune right now and therefore not with my beloved civic.
But i can confirm points 1 & 3 as i clearly remember these.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Thanks!

My observations:
  1. The ignition key cannot be taken out, till the AT lever is in P mode!
  2. Once the ignition key is taken out, the AT lever gets locked in P position. You cannot move it to N or R or any other position, till, the ignition key is inserted and turned.
  3. There is no need to put a foot on the brake to start the car.
  4. The car will only start (crank) in P position
I agree on 1,2 &3 above. Regarding starting, you can start the car in N position as well. I normally switch off my car in long traffic blocks or signals and start it again in N.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:32   #72
BHPian

I remembered to try this stuff today. There is no need to press the brakes in P mode to crank. I can also start the car in N mode, but I was holding the brakes (was on a slope). Will have to try N without brakes.

I think it was a psychological fear of attempting to crank without holding brakes - i was not turning the key far enough

Key removal:
- Only possible in Park. After key is removed, the "clutch button" gets locked and you can't move the gearshift.

Crank:
- Park (with or without brakes) - works
- Neutral with brakes - works
- Neutral without brakes - not attempted

Last edited by echo77 : 16th February 2011 at 13:38.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remembered to try this stuff today. There is no need to press the brakes in P mode to crank. I can also start the car in N mode, but I was holding the brakes (was on a slope). Will have to try N without brakes.

I think it was a psychological fear of attempting to crank without holding brakes - i was not turning the key far enough
Try using hand brakes with N mode. I do that on signals.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

For short signal, i use brakes with N mode, No need to press button when changing from N to D and vice versa.

For long signal, i put in P mode with out any brake, switch off ignition and relax, car behaves like in 1st gear and wont move. When the signal comes near, around 20 seconds, i put it into N mode with leg brake and crank when signal turns green.

Normally i don't depend on hand brake unless its for parking.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:07   #75
BHPian

Was able to try again

Appendix to my earlier post

Crank:
- Neutral without brakes - works

So the car will crank in P and N regardless of brakes.

Noticed this feature:
If you are in Park mode and you put in the key and turn it to on position (before cranking), then the "clutch button" on the gear cannot be pressed unless you press the brakes.

Thanks everyone for the tips and kind guidance!

Last edited by echo77 : 16th February 2011 at 15:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks