Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 15:42   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City I-VTEC V AT (2011) - review after 400 KMs

So, what was the issue?

Since you wrote about the headlight being left on for 10min and the engine not cranking later, I thought it was the battery.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Was this car manufactured in India? Perhaps that would answer the question!
No; and it does answer the question! To add that it would have been a nice feature! as would have been some illumination around the ignition and reading lamps in front.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th February 2011 at 17:48.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:13   #108
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, the Premiur Padmini headlights did not come on until the car was started, nor did the indicators work. Only the parking lights come on for the Indica, right?

Well, illumination, reading lamps? time to extend the budget and go for a luxury car

Agree the features would be nice, but that is just more money.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:31   #109
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the battery would get drained in 10 mins. There have been times when i have forgotten to turn off the front map lights overnight. Only to switch them off in the morning when returning to the car. Must have been something else. Do fill us in.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:41   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, what was the issue?

Since you wrote about the headlight being left on for 10min and the engine not cranking later, I thought it was the battery.
Sorry, looks like I kept it hanging. I was trying to say that I never suspected the battery because the lights were on hardly for 10 mins and the signs did not indicate battery problem. But the service person was able to start the car with his jump start kit and it was concluded that battery had drained out a bit (enough to give problem)
Old 24th February 2011, 17:46   #111
Team-BHP Support

Oh, what make is your ANHC?

Just sounds improbable that 10mins could cause that. The Honda guys eliminated everything else and said battery was THE issue?
Old 24th February 2011, 18:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, what make is your ANHC?

Just sounds improbable that 10mins could cause that. The Honda guys eliminated everything else and said battery was THE issue?
2009 make. No, Honda guys could not find out anything else that could be wrong (in the scheduled service that followed)
Old 25th February 2011, 09:29   #113
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, the Premiur Padmini headlights did not come on until the car was started, nor did the indicators work. Only the parking lights come on for the Indica, right?

Well, illumination, reading lamps? time to extend the budget and go for a luxury car

Agree the features would be nice, but that is just more money.
Well - all the three other cars i compared with had these features! I am not sure about the demister though. Luxury - Hmmmm - hope sometimes in life!
Old 25th February 2011, 09:36   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
mash: I am the soothsayer

rkap: It ensures that you don't leave the car in N or D. Also, note that the ignition cranks only if the brakes are on in P mode. If brakes are not on, it won't crank. I guess these are safety features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In my Civic you have to press the brake pedal and also have the car in P or N before you can turn the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You definately are mate.

Well our 2008 civic does require you to be in park to crank. But one does not need to have the brakes depressed. I am absolutely certain, cause i sometimes crank the car in the morning without getting in to let the engine warm up before we start for the day. What i do is crank the engine then arrange all the bags and nick nacks in the car. By then the car is warmed up and we drive off.
[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I suggest you try it once again. I checked today and found that for starting I dont have to press the brake pedal. I can straight enter the car, put the key in the slot and turn to start. Nothing need to be done as long as the gear position is in P. I have a 2010 Civic.
[quote=rkap01;2246722]Thanks!

My observations:
  1. The ignition key cannot be taken out, till the AT lever is in P mode!
  2. Once the ignition key is taken out, the AT lever gets locked in P position. You cannot move it to N or R or any other position, till, the ignition key is inserted and turned.
  3. There is no need to put a foot on the brake to start the car.
  4. The car will only start (crank) in P position
I edited no 4 to say that the car can crank in P or N position!

After we crank the car in P position, brake is required to be pushed to release the lock on the gear shift. If brake is not pressed, the shift is locked and thus cannot be moved to R, N or D positions. A safety measure to ensure that the brakes are pressed, as the car might move if brakes not pressed, when shift is moved to R or D position!

If we shut of the engine in any position except P, the key cannot be taken out; the car can be cranked only in N position! It wont crank in D or R position.

Last edited by rkap01 : 25th February 2011 at 09:38.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:51   #115
BHPian

Ground clearance

What is every ones views about ground clearance of this car?
My early experience of 2200 kms driving on main roads, highways, Chandigarh and Delhi is not very good!
Old 28th February 2011, 09:55   #116
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ground clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
What is every ones views about ground clearance of this car?
My early experience of 2200 kms driving on main roads, highways, Chandigarh and Delhi is not very good!
Not very happy! I have mentioned it in my review too.

While I was driving it in Gurgaon during/after the rains last year, the bottom scraped on every crater.
Same thing while driving to Amritsar.
Old 28th February 2011, 10:19   #117
BHPian

Re: Ground clearance

Quote:
Not very happy! I have mentioned it in my review too.

While I was driving it in Gurgaon during/after the rains last year, the bottom scraped on every crater.
Same thing while driving to Amritsar.
Thats right. I was on a slip road in Delhi, which ended with a hump to connect to the main road. While I halted and watched, many cars went over without a problem. When i went over, first the right front and then the front left scrapped! And its not an isolated event. Has transformed me into a very circumspect driver!

What exactly scrapes?
Old 28th February 2011, 10:37   #118
Team-BHP Support

Just below the engine, there are these metal sheets on the left and the right; their function is to protect the engine bay.

When you go over a hump or through a ditch, it is these that get scraped.

The same happens with my Corsa; during one particular service, just after bad rains and even worse roads, the mechanic said the metal sheet would need to be straightened.

What I have learnt : through a ditch or a speedbreaker, go ~5km/hr.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:02   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Just below the engine, there are these metal sheets on the left and the right; their function is to protect the engine bay.

When you go over a hump or through a ditch, it is these that get scraped.

The same happens with my Corsa; during one particular service, just after bad rains and even worse roads, the mechanic said the metal sheet would need to be straightened.

What I have learnt : through a ditch or a speedbreaker, go ~5km/hr.
Thanks. I reckon i underestimated the problem. After all the difference in ground clearnace from other cars was only 1.5 cms! I wonder what makes the difference. I also wonder why this car sells so much - as our road conditions are not very good.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Thanks. I reckon i underestimated the problem. After all the difference in ground clearnace from other cars was only 1.5 cms! I wonder what makes the difference. I also wonder why this car sells so much - as our road conditions are not very good.
Did you scrape the bottom with full load or only you in the car. If the rear seats are occupied, it is almost impossible not to scrape the bottom over larger bumps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks