Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 17:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

A new post on this thread after a huge gap of around 15 days and that too for a very very newly launched car.

I am wondering whether SX4 diesel will have good numbers and whether Maruti will taste success. Frankly, there are too many great options now, with the launch of Fiesta 2011 and soon to come Verna RB. Already Vento is doing fantastic and it toppled ANHC from the throne with its mind blowing diesel engine.

SX4 has to fight a very tough battle with a weak artillery (read 1.3 MJD).
Old 20th April 2011, 18:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

not everybody can actually afford to buy and run a big engined diesel sedan with so many features. Granted the competition now offers 1.6, but maruti plus DDIS plus competitive entry price=success. If that was the case, then the manza should have outsold the dzire but that's not really happened.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
not everybody can actually afford to buy and run a big engined diesel sedan with so many features. Granted the competition now offers 1.6, but maruti plus DDIS plus competitive entry price=success. If that was the case, then the manza should have outsold the dzire but that's not really happened.
In addition to what Sid is saying people just don't buy just the car. They buy the entire package to ensure smooth/ uninterrupted/ troublefree commute for next 3-5 year. A.S.S becomes a vital component in Car Package, Reliability is another Major component and Spares cost being the third major component. This is one of the main reasons why Swift sells more than Punto or Palio. I am sure SX4 will sell more than Linea in the short term and in the long term it would also sell more than Vento. Unless VW gets the above the above three components right. In which case Vento will be the clear winner.

I still believe that VW would be similar its sister company Skoda in terms of higher service cost and higher spares cost while the reliability may be much better than Skoda cars. having said this only time will tell whether my predictions are right or wrong. Hence I am holding back my purchase of Vento or SX4 for another 18 months.
Old 26th April 2011, 18:47   #94
BHPian

Here's another road test of SX4 Diesel - courtesy - carwale.com Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZDI First Drive - Changing priorities - CarWale

Last edited by powertrain : 26th April 2011 at 18:49.
Old 26th April 2011, 22:11   #95
BHPian

Another positive review. There might be some negatives about it - like no MID but overall it is a no nonsense car. I think Sx4 is going to do decent numbers for few more months. I say few because after few months we will have the new Verna and Fiesta too.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Another positive review. There might be some negatives about it - like no MID but overall it is a no nonsense car. I think Sx4 is going to do decent numbers for few more months. I say few because after few months we will have the new Verna and Fiesta too.
+1 to that. Maruti should seriously consider sprucing up the SX4 by late 2011 if they want to keep up with the competition. I hope they give serious thought to bringing a 4x4 version or the hatchback version
Old 28th April 2011, 15:41   #97
BHPian

I was looking to upgrade to a sedan in early 2009 and was hoping for Maruti to come out with a SX4 D. Waited for almost a year and there were no signs that a SX4 D would come out any soon so finally went for the petrol instead in the Mar 2010.

When i first heard the news I was very enthused about the SX4 D coming out and then i was equally deflated when i knew that they plonked a 1.3 DDIS with a VGT which was a beefed up version of the same oil burner that was doing duty in the Swift, Ritz and Dzire (i.e. without the VGT). My first thought was "Will it have enough power to move the 1200kg beast ?"

Why did MSIL wait for so long to add the VGT to the 1.3 and plonk it in the SX4 if that is what it really wanted to do in the first place ? Taking a cue from Dzire sales, it was a no-brainer that bringing out the SX4 D would have definitely helped the sagging sales of the SX4.

I feel that all this while MSIL would have been in talks with Fiat to get the licence for a higher displacement version of the Multijet , but probably Fiat did not yield ( impact on the Linea sales would have been a consideration).
Meanwhile the JV with also VW happened and that opened up another possibility, however they would not get their hands on a VW diesel too soon.
So finally they went back to the drawing board with the 1.3 DDIS.
I feel the next all new version of the SX4 may very well sport VW oil burner.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:26   #98
BHPian

+1 to that. I also think that Sx4 will undergo some major changes after some time. The Sx4 was not able to tap the diesel market and Maruti did not want to lose out the diesel pie. Hence they put the national engine in it. With all the competition that will come with New verna and Fiesta Sx4 will need some kind of surgery after some time
Old 4th May 2011, 11:37   #99
BHPian

Dear Friends, I need some suggestion for buying my next car. Currently, I own a Swift VDI and love that car. I need a diesel sedan. I shortlisted 2 cars SX4 Diesel VDI and New Verna 1.6L entry level Diesel variant(due to budget constraints) that is going to be launched this month. Both reviews are good. However, SX4 VDI lacks some basic safety features like ABS and airbags. The Verna 1.6L Diesel basic version come with ABS and single airbag and other good features like sterring mounted audio control and so on. My first question is How important is ABS for these big cars? I generally drive around 100 on highways. The onroad price for both seems to be equal. +/-10,000. Next question: How is after market service and parts pricing from Hyundai since I have not owned a Hyundai car before. Please suggest.
hydswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 11:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I would suggest you go for Hyundai Verna.

In this comparison particularly, Hyundai Verna seems to be a sensible choice.

First of all, a right powered engine (1.6) for a sedan. Secondly, completely new and fresh interiors on the Verna as compared to the dated interiors on the SX4 D. Regarding the A.S.S., Hyundai comes 2nd to Maruti (correct me if i am wrong), so even that issue is not there. In the handling department, both cars are not the best in the world.

Regarding ABS, it is a good to have feature, especially in rains and slippery roads. ABS or no ABS can not prove to be a deal breaker, but still if one is getting the feature in his budget, then you must get it.

All said and done, go for Hyundai Verna 1.6.

No offense meant to any SX 4 Diesel owners. Strictly my opinion.

OT: How I wished Maruti had launched SX 4 D with a 1.6 engine, and then I would have just might got it home.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 11:49   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
Dear Friends, I need some suggestion for buying my next car. Currently, I own a Swift VDI and love that car. I need a diesel sedan. I shortlisted 2 cars SX4 Diesel VDI and New Verna 1.6L entry level Diesel variant(due to budget constraints) that is going to be launched this month. Both reviews are good. However, SX4 VDI lacks some basic safety features like ABS and airbags. The Verna 1.6L Diesel basic version come with ABS and single airbag and other good features like sterring mounted audio control and so on. My first question is How important is ABS for these big cars? I generally drive around 100 on highways. The onroad price for both seems to be equal. +/-10,000. Next question: How is after market service and parts pricing from Hyundai since I have not owned a Hyundai car before. Please suggest.
I clicked the thanks button by mistake, was trying to quote. If you can, please go for ABS and Airbag model (even if only driver). It's not about top speed of 100, ABS can help even at speeds of 40, if you are in a slippery road and have to brake hard. Please go for it and you would be glad later that you did. I doubt that the price difference will be only 10K. I think Verna 1.4 D base should be somewhere close to SX4 VDI prices (similar specs?). How did you get to the 10k number, can you please share.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:22   #102
BHPian

That is indeed a tough decision. I think ABS is useful no matter what speeds you drive at and you should definately think of having it in your car. I think the prices have not been declared yet for Verna(correct me if I am wrong) so price wise nothing can be commented. The interiors od Sx4 are nothing great but just something that does the job. Verna's interior looks great - I have just seen them in pictures. What I suggest is take test drives of both cars. You can take Sx4 test drive now but for Verna you will have to wait a little. You also need to check things like plastic quality, rear space, start-stop acceleration and many other things which are possible only when you take a test drive.

P.S - What is the power output of the Verna 1.6D?
Old 5th May 2011, 10:07   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I clicked the thanks button by mistake, was trying to quote. If you can, please go for ABS and Airbag model (even if only driver). It's not about top speed of 100, ABS can help even at speeds of 40, if you are in a slippery road and have to brake hard. Please go for it and you would be glad later that you did. I doubt that the price difference will be only 10K. I think Verna 1.4 D base should be somewhere close to SX4 VDI prices (similar specs?). How did you get to the 10k number, can you please share.
I visited a Hyundai dealer and he shared a ball park on road prices. You are right about the pricing. Ww have to wait until the price list is out. The sales consultant stated that SX4 VDI price and 1.6L Verna base model will be of the same price. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
That is indeed a tough decision. I think ABS is useful no matter what speeds you drive at and you should definately think of having it in your car. I think the prices have not been declared yet for Verna(correct me if I am wrong) so price wise nothing can be commented. The interiors od Sx4 are nothing great but just something that does the job. Verna's interior looks great - I have just seen them in pictures. What I suggest is take test drives of both cars. You can take Sx4 test drive now but for Verna you will have to wait a little. You also need to check things like plastic quality, rear space, start-stop acceleration and many other things which are possible only when you take a test drive.

Power output of Verna 1.6D is 126-128 BHP at 4000 RPM as stated by the sales consultant and other forums. Thank you.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th May 2011 at 04:01.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:29   #104
BHPian

Quote:
That is indeed a tough decision. I think ABS is useful no matter what speeds you drive at and you should definately think of having it in your car.
The interiors od Sx4 are nothing great but just something that does the job. Verna's interior looks great - I have just seen them in pictures. What I suggest is take test drives of both cars. You can take Sx4 test drive now but for Verna you will have to wait a little. You also need to check things like plastic quality, rear space, start-stop acceleration and many other things which are possible only when you take a test drive.

+1 to that, i have the 2010 SX4 Zxi VVT. its a good car, but i think the interior could have been better, does not evoke a plush feeling. Infact due to the parts sharing, the interior has a strong Swift Dejavu. The rear bench design is not also comfortable for the person sitting in the middle, it is ok for kids.

I have been thankful for the ABS on a number of occasions and i think its a feature that should not be ignored. Given the 1.6 Verna Ds 128 horses and 265NM torque, it would be certainly comforting to know that you have better control with ABS-EBD. (With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman)

Also consider resale value. I think the New Verna 1.6 will definitely have a better resale value 4-5 yrs down the line as compared to the SX4 D. Also if the SX4 is refreshed say next year, it brings down the resale value further.
FrankMartin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 10:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned in the first post,price to displacement ratio can raise some eyebrows,but as long as it has descent power and mileage(weakest point of sx4),maruti has a genuine winner.I did notice the oil filter is easily accessible now as compared to the swift.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks