Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 18:17   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What is so special about Ford quality anyway?
I have driven the Figo a few times and the interiors felt way cheaper than the competition - the unfinished internal door handles, the cheap shiny plastic on the dashboard, super cheap wipers etc, and not to forget the horrible looking top brake light on the rear with a washer exposed. Yes, it might be VFM but feels built to the price and no way more premium than the Swift/Ritz.
Sorry for going off-topic.
Well, I don't think Figo really lack in quality. It is a well sorted out car, looks really build to last, and feels really solid. I did not feel Swift any special (just my personal opinion). Figo is definitely build to a price, and they have done it in a good way.

If I need a premium Japanese hatch, there is only one car which I will buy without second thoughts - and that is what you're having

Back to Kizashi. Without a doubt, this is the most sorted out car from the Suzuki stable. Suzuki should have shown a bit more courage in their product and launched it as a local assembled model.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th March 2011 at 18:21. Reason: Edited comment.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:38   #62
BHPian

Just came back from a test drive of SX4 Diesel for my friend. My two cents on comparison with my recently bought Manza. Though the comparsion is not fair considering the two different segments, doing it still as with the launch, was wondering whether I should have waited for SX4 D (ruled out Dzire because of rear space) and paid the 2L more.

Pros and Cons vis a vis Manza Elan.

Pros
1) Much better gearing and response. Manza is a bit sluggish. Well done Maruti.
2) Suspension
3) Fit and finish
4) Handling (not as good as a Linea but better than Manza).
5) Better thigh support for front seat
6) Looks
7) Shorter gear shifts
8) Automatic climate control
9) Ground clearance
10) Doors don't need good force to close and better door knobs and handles
11) No protroduing rear speakers at the boot

Cons

1) Manza Elan has much better interiors (my personal view)though there could be build quality issues with Tata . Except for the waterfall console, the dash looks cheap for a 10L car.
2) Less rear seat width and comfort
3) No DIS (no option to add one)
4) Feel HPS on Manza better than EPS on SX4. Smaller and slimmer wheel than Manza
5) JK Tyres
6) Rear visibility
7) Small and insignificant things:
a) smaller glove box with no light,
b) no lights for vanity mirror
c) No lumbar support
d) No seat belt warning buzzer
e) No bluetooth
At the end of it realized how feature rich Manza is for the cost and was happy with my buy since I would have been stretching a bit on the budget.

However but since my friend has a budget for SX4D, suggested him to go ahead as he gets better ***, build quality, fit and finish, handling, suspension, driveability apart from better GC which was his primary consideration that he ruled out Linea & Vento. The only sore point we both felt is that for Rs. 10L on road in Chennai, the car interiors should have a little more oomph/class.

Another point to note is that quite a few number of SX4Ds has been dispatched to most dealers. Some cars are readily available for delivery in Chennai. These dispatches probably contributed to the increased SX4 sales figures for Feb.
Old 12th March 2011, 13:41   #63
RGK
Senior - BHPian

A Wonderful and detailed review with very clear pictures Sid.

@Sridhar - Absolutely correct feedback.

Luckily I had a test drive yesterday with my colleague who is wanting to buy.

Just felt the same what you have written.

Biggest positives I find
- A smooth great engine with top class fuel economy
- No sudden turbo jump (linear delivery)
- Good GC (especiallly after driving Figo)
- Relatively thin A pillar with triangle quarter glass visibility
- Very wide After Sales Service

Negatives
- Ordinary interiors - cannot be equated with Vento or Fiesta
- Poor plastics quality felt especially the interior running boards - may lead to rattling after 2 to 3 years.
- Audio system, A/C knobs all looks ordinary except the Cluster
- JK Vectra tyres
-No blue tooth - This feature is now offered even in the upcoming new Indica's
- Easy getting in and out for taller persons
- Pricing on the higher side

I did not feel a great braking and never felt the ABS performance as it should be. Comfortable for 4 people
OTR price at chennai is 10.04 lakh just 50k less than Vento D.
SM said, the deliveries are immediate. The car which came for test drive did not have A/C working. Sales guys told that there was some issues in the AC .

When asked the SM about competing with Vento D, he said, the difference is the A-S-S. I am not surprised if Maruti SC's do start servicing VW vehicles in the near future due to the stake bought in Suzuki.
Old 12th March 2011, 17:28   #64

Today crossed 1000km mark in 12 days, all done in Delhi, yet to take the car on Highway. Got 18 km/litre (tank full at the same fuel station). nice pickup will give for first service tomorrow. I really feel buying SX4D was a wise decision.

Note from Support: Please use proper punctuation and do not use excessive dots while typing a post. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th March 2011 at 19:39. Reason: See note in the post. Thanks
Old 14th March 2011, 19:38   #65
BHPian

I've owned a Swift VXi for the last (almost) 5 years. I test drove the SX4 ZDi variant last night.

It had 920km on the ODO and thus can be considered brand spanking new. I like at Andheri (W), Lokandwala - hence I have the luxury of pushing any TD vehicle at the infamous "Lokhandwala Back Road".

Took the vehicle out, pushed it as hard as I could. Sorry to say the vehicle failed to deliver in 2 very important aspects:

1. A 2-3second "lag" in pickup, which I'm assuming is the side effect of the minuscule 1.3l engine. I tried flooring it on first & second repeatedly, but the response time was horrid. Definitely not built for someone who's used to abusing the Petrol Swift to needle through cracks during traffic.

2. Considering I've owned a Swift for a prolonged period, it just gave me a horrendous sense of "Deja Vu". And I'm using the word "horrendous" in it's literal sense. No one wants to pay twice as much as the swift to sit in a slightly modified version of it. Everything from the ODO, Power Window buttons and even the A/C Vents were all too familiar.

Compared to the other cars offered in this segment (Read: Vento & Linea), I would advise ANYONE to go for the Vento Diesel Highline hands down, even though there is a price difference of roughly 55K.

Why you ask? Well, I'll tell you:

1. An additional, and much needed, 300 CC.
2. Premium VW tag.
3. Higher quality interior parts (Read: power mirror control, power window switches, etc.)
4. Rear A/C Vent - a very welcomed added bonus considering the insane Mumbai heat & humidity.
5. Aptly placed rear passenger reading lights.
6. Better Torque and Acceleration at lower gears and definite one up when picking up from a stand still.
7. A 2km/litre added advantage on both City and Highway mileage.
8. Motion sensor & Remote controlled Windows (Not essential, but definitely adds to the "Cool" factor).

The only con that I can think of is losing out on the amazing Maruti A.S.S.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 15th March 2011, 15:09   #66
BANNED

Source: Diesel variant lifts sliding sales of Maruti

Seems SX4 Diesel is also a big hit for Maruti. 5000 bookings within 3 weeks of launch. But some of them would be from DZire Diesel pie, for sure. Now, expect a huge waiting period for SX4 Diesel also.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:43   #67
BHPian

As usual excellent review Sid. Maruti has got a winner here i suppose. Used to like the all masculine looks of SX4 but why is that maruti's models always have a cramped rear seat?
Old 16th March 2011, 23:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: Diesel variant lifts sliding sales of Maruti

Seems SX4 Diesel is also a big hit for Maruti. 5000 bookings within 3 weeks of launch. But some of them would be from DZire Diesel pie, for sure. Now, expect a huge waiting period for SX4 Diesel also.
As per my inquiry a couple days back, all variants and colora of the SX4 Diesel are readily available for immediate delivery.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
very nice review Sid, as expected.

However I have a diffrent opinion on its ride quality and suspension. we did a test drive - 4 adults in the car. On roads with minor potholes / speedbreaker, the car gives me the jitters at say 30-40 kmph. infact, I have to say sorry to the back passengers everytime. And it is not about the GC, but only the suspension.

however we found the car to have a very rev happy engine, and quite OK for city drive

Completely Agree with you. Being a old Maruti customer, I could have gone for a Diesel SX4, had I not felt the "not so good feeling" on bangalore speedbreakers even at speed as low as 20.

I wish the suspension could have been better. Another turn off was the 1.3L engine.
With the VDI prices hovering around 9L OTR in bangalore, I finally decided to put my money on Safari LX which came at the same price.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:20   #70
BHPian

Having owned Maruti cars all my life (800, WagonR, Zen Di, Baleno Vxi) I eagerly awaited the launch of SX4 Diesel but somehow the 1.3L engine did not really excite me. One of the major factor might have been that SX4 is an old model and Maruti did not change anything in the diesel variant. Further comparison with Vento was inevitable. Test drove both Vento and SX4D and felt Vento was much better.

I guess I will wait for couple more months and check out the new Verna and Fiesta before taking a decision.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:09   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi
Is there a ZDI version of the SX4 D?
or have they kept the top end version at the VDi level only?
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi
Is there a ZDI version of the SX4 D?
or have they kept the top end version at the VDi level only?
Ofcourse there is a ZDi variant. Infact, SX Diesel has only 2 variants VDi and ZDi. There is no LDi.

Go here for further details. Maruti suzuki India ltd: Sx4 features, specifications, style, comfort
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:43   #73
BANNED

thanks!
sorry should have checked their website but found it easier to ask here.
but dont you think it would have been better for them to use their 1.9 diesel like they offer abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ofcourse there is a ZDi variant. Infact, SX Diesel has only 2 variants VDi and ZDi. There is no LDi.

Go here for further details. Maruti suzuki India ltd: Sx4 features, specifications, style, comfort
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Lets not even get into that. MSIL should (x1000) have launched the SX D with a much more powerful engine. However, their focus must have been the FE-conscience customers in India rather than the passionate drivers. Hence, you have the 1.3 engine.

But overall, its a OK kind of car as you can see through SID's review. If you are a MSIL fan, go for it for the sheer FE figures and best A.S.S. network.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:57   #75
BANNED

thats fine but despite their plugging in the VGT etc, is this 1.3 DDIS engine able to pull the greater weight of the SX4 properly and efficiently without one feeling that it is a tad under-powered?

I mean this is the same old DDIS as is present in the Swift Diesel and DZire Diesel and Fiat and Vista and so on isnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
^^^ Lets not even get into that. MSIL should (x1000) have launched the SX D with a much more powerful engine. However, their focus must have been the FE-conscience customers in India rather than the passionate drivers. Hence, you have the 1.3 engine.

But overall, its a OK kind of car as you can see through SID's review. If you are a MSIL fan, go for it for the sheer FE figures and best A.S.S. network.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks