Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 10:11   #46
AWD
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (1.3 DDiS): Test Drive and Review

This car holds my interest like none other as of now but will wait for new Fiesta & Verna to arrive before making a decision.
Most things with the car are right but for the slightly outdated design/shape. Which is not evident now but the advent of newer designs in the shape of Fiesta, Verna, pressure is bound to build upon SX4. I don't think Maruti is in for an early life makeover for SX4!

P.S: I guess we heard push-button start & some other goodies making their way in SX4 diesel but seems Maruti has skipped & wants to cash in on the enthusiasm created by the DDis engine anlone!

Last edited by AWD : 5th March 2011 at 10:13.
Old 5th March 2011, 13:45   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post

Maruti is the undisputed king of small cars, but when it comes to cars bigger than a 2 box, and in the range of 8 Lacs plus, the target segment is different and look at things differently and are spoilt with a lot of available options with great features.
And another big reason I would say is => poor build quality.
The thud of closing the door of a Figo is far superior that the glass 'rattling' and doorpad vibe type sound of my Swift D. And for that matter Figo is a cheaper car. So Maruti is being careless here and taking the public for granted be it, 2-box or 8 lacs plus car. Not sure about SuKi though.
Old 5th March 2011, 17:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
. In fact Maruti is currently working on a Dzire model (Indigo CS type). Should they plan to launch it, it will definitely have cost advantage in terms of lesser govt levies. They could then think of stopping production of the current Dzire and price the SX4 D attractively. Already the petrol SX4 is available at a huge discount and schemes attached. It suffers from a poor brand image and poor resale value. Seriously don't think they will do some mind boggling numbers at the current pricing of the diesel.

Maruti is the undisputed king of small cars, but when it comes to cars bigger than a 2 box, and in the range of 8 Lacs plus, the target segment is different and look at things differently and are spoilt with a lot of available options with great features.

Competitors do suffer on the spares and service network and most importantly the excellent service complaint response by Maruti, something that no one can ever take away from Maruti. Atleast Hyundai has not been able to till now, being in similar product categories...
Well there are a lot of choice available in the market. But it is the Dzire that is the largest selling Sedan in the country. Even if the SX 4 Diesel adds 2000-2500 units per month to the sale of the petrol variant MSIL will be laughing all the way to the bank. It may well be enough to make the SX 4 the new no 1 seller in the segment.

I am sure that MSIL will be working on replacing the SX4 in the next 18-24 months with a all new launch,
Old 5th March 2011, 18:54   #49
BHPian

The build quality of the Kizashi is superb as it is a full import. So it can't be compared with the locally built range of Maruti. Quality is definitely not upto the mark as compared to Fords or Hyundais.

However, the build of the current SX4 is a definite improvement over the initial batches which came in 2007.

And the SX4 badly needs a makeover. It's not at all early in its life. It's been almost 4 years since the car was launched and there has been a very good makeover for the car internationally.

For those of you who want to know how the current SX4 is sold even in Asian markets (forget USA or Australia), check out the Suzuki Singapore website. You will know what I mean. Same 1.6 M16A VVT petrol engine and 4-speed AT, with superb features and interiors.

The competition is coming MSIL, and in a big way. It's time you pulled up your socks and updated the SX4 and gave it a real good makeover with no increase in price. Then, the fight is really on. Otherwise, it's probably the lead time from now till the launch of the new Verna and Fiesta (both petrol and diesel versions), that the current SX4 would enjoy.

I'm not taking the Linea or Vento into consideration here, as both Hyundai and Ford have far better service networks than VW or Fiat.

So MSIL, hope you're listening, and do something about the SX4!
Old 5th March 2011, 21:36   #50
BHPian

I went for a test drive to DD Motors today. I test drove the ZDi model, it had around 460 Km on the ODO. Here are my impressions:
- I felt the car to be slightly less on power, as compared to my swift.
- I didnt like the new beige colored dashboard. IMO the previous model's grey dashboard was better.
- Wifey was sitting in the rear seat and said, she found the rear seat to be very comfortable.
- The engine noise inside cabing seemed less than my swift vdi.

Overall, its a practical car and with after sales service like Maruti I am sure it will be a success. The current waiting period in Delhi is 2 weeks and it is expected to rise to the levels of Dzire if not more.

On road price is 9.5x Lakh for ZDI, I believe it is on a higher side if you consider the engine power.
I am looking to replace my 3yr old swift, and I really wanted to go for SX4 ZDi but I need more power. Hence, I have decided to wait for the new verna (fingers crossed).

Last edited by revved_up : 5th March 2011 at 21:37.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Looks like initial response is good. 20 day wait quoted by dealers.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:38   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Sid! Awesome review once more. Thanks for that. The SX4 is the Maruti I like the most. And at last they manage a VGT DDiS in it. I hope they have timed it well and aren't too late given that the SX4 is now a pretty "old" design by today's standards. Hope to see you soon again in Pune

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th March 2011 at 13:40.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:39   #53
BANNED

very nice review Sid, as expected.

However I have a diffrent opinion on its ride quality and suspension. we did a test drive - 4 adults in the car. On roads with minor potholes / speedbreaker, the car gives me the jitters at say 30-40 kmph. infact, I have to say sorry to the back passengers everytime. And it is not about the GC, but only the suspension.

however we found the car to have a very rev happy engine, and quite OK for city drive
Old 7th March 2011, 17:12   #54
BHPian

Guys, just got my DDis SX4 ZDi delivered on Saturday 4th March.

Upgraded from Swift VDi.

Had my story penned down at this link, but the mods merged the threads.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2252603

Initial reaction:

Very Revv happy engine. No turbo Lag. One can feel the power waiting to be unleashed once you reach 1800+ rpm.
Dont feel the car underpowered at any point.
Have done about 150 Km so far.
Most important - Good noise reduction done by MSIL. (I think sid missed out this aspect in his review)
Believe me, if one is upgrading from a Swift VDi - then the rattle cage will be missed ! (of course, they are cars of a different league)

A tad firm suspension - owing to the heavy diesel engine.

Overall - a happy owner.

Will share details as the driving progresses.

In my opinion - Sid's review is a more face value, first hand, market comparo types one. But it is also a fact that MSIL enjoys the top spot as the largest car manufacturer in India, owing to the many maruti preferred client base out there who enjoy a hassle free A$$ & maintenance. The launch of this car has opened up a new avenue for such people. Of course, such a review will be completley different from their point of view (count us in!)

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 7th March 2011 at 17:36. Reason: missed out a few points..
Old 7th March 2011, 17:21   #55
BHPian

From Maruti - with the 'national engine' - a sure shot success, right?

I doubt it will be. Dezire is a success mainly because of the price. If you plonk that engine into a bigger not-so-successful car and charge a premium, it may not take off (in terms of sales). Me thinks this is too little, too late. At 10 lakhs OTR in Bangalore, you have many options
Old 7th March 2011, 17:40   #56

Bought SX4Diesel ZDI on 1-3-2011.
White colour, Mine was first car sold by Fairdeal cars, Delhi.
Easy to drive, hardly any turbolag..
Comfort levels are good , can easily seat 3 growing kiddos on the rear seat..
Delivery was nice experience.
So far driven 400 Kmin east delhi traffic, plnning to go to dehradun next week on same day return trip.
Old 7th March 2011, 17:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay Narang View Post
Bought SX4Diesel ZDI on 1-3-2011.
White colour, Mine was first car sold by Fairdeal cars, Delhi.
Easy to drive, hardly any turbolag..
Comfort levels are good , can easily seat 3 growing kiddos on the rear seat..
Delivery was nice experience.
So far driven 400 Kmin east delhi traffic, plnning to go to dehradun next week on same day return trip.
Awesome... now soon we can get a 1000km review and actual feedback of the car on road. Eagerly waiting for your experience. I was in line of buying one but 1.3 turned me down.
Old 8th March 2011, 09:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Awesome... now soon we can get a 1000km review and actual feedback of the car on road. Eagerly waiting for your experience. I was in line of buying one but 1.3 turned me down.
IMHO 90HP power and 200 NM of torque is more than sufficient for SX4 on Indian roads and conditions. More power/more speed/higher acceleration would mean less control and increases chance of accidents in Indian conditions.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
This car holds my interest like none other as of now but will wait for new Fiesta & Verna to arrive before making a decision.
Most things with the car are right but for the slightly outdated design/shape. Which is not evident now but the advent of newer designs in the shape of Fiesta, Verna, pressure is bound to build upon SX4. I don't think Maruti is in for an early life makeover for SX4!

P.S: I guess we heard push-button start & some other goodies making their way in SX4 diesel but seems Maruti has skipped & wants to cash in on the enthusiasm created by the DDis engine anlone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
And another big reason I would say is => poor build quality.
The thud of closing the door of a Figo is far superior that the glass 'rattling' and doorpad vibe type sound of my Swift D. And for that matter Figo is a cheaper car. So Maruti is being careless here and taking the public for granted be it, 2-box or 8 lacs plus car. Not sure about SuKi though.
@sam_sant2005, you've rightly said that the cheaper Ford Figo is way better than the Swift. Flimsy build quality, extreme parts-bin raiding between models, poor equipment list, long waiting periods, etc. These are the few things that come to mind when we talk about MSIL's current line-up. Same goes for the Vento/Linea/Fiesta vs SX4 debate.

But then the Indian love affair with all things Maruti, just doesn't seem to end. People are willing to wait for months when the competition is offering better products, all in the name of good after-sales service and low maintenance costs . While it is mostly true in terms of the former, when it comes to the latter, maintenance costs are as cheap or expensive as the competition.

But then its Maruti and hence the SX4 is likely to succeed. Sad though for Fiat, coz the competition is adding to their bottom-line using their engine as the building block.

@Sid, love your scoops, keep 'em coming
Old 8th March 2011, 16:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
The build quality of the Kizashi is superb as it is a full import. So it can't be compared with the locally built range of Maruti. Quality is definitely not upto the mark as compared to Fords or Hyundais.
What is so special about Ford quality anyway?
I have driven the Figo a few times and the interiors felt way cheaper than the competition - the unfinished internal door handles, the cheap shiny plastic on the dashboard, super cheap wipers etc, and not to forget the horrible looking top brake light on the rear with a washer exposed. Yes, it might be VFM but feels built to the price and no way more premium than the Swift/Ritz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks