Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 09:27   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

@Locomotive: September end is best as the BRO keeps chugging at improving roads till mid October (or beyond weather permitting) BUT usually much less snow. Also much less crowd ;-)

No way SX4 would have taken that shortcut or the one to top of Lachunglung La which is "mother" of all shortcuts on that route. Shaves almost 3 or 4 kms distance. And the "Baap" of all is on the downside of Tanglan La wich even I in my GV did not care to attempt fully since it was partially snowed under. Typically 2nd gear in 4x4 Low lock give the best going up these short cuts.

OTH coming down the Tanglan La shortcuts I have seen qualis/innova taxis doing it.
Old 13th October 2008, 11:47   #137
BHPian

short cuts at Tanglang-la

for us first timers Tanglangla by road was intimidating enough. we can only think of Tanglangla as one of the most hostile (yet beautiful) places and the toughest roads we have ever driven on. (a freezing stay at Pang the night before and a splitting headache did not help either!!)

cant believe there is a short cut at Tanglangla.
Old 13th October 2008, 12:05   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
cant believe there is a short cut at Tanglangla.
Trust me there is on the Tanglang La to Rumtse side. It takes of to left about a kilometer and half after the pass and rejoins almost at the end of loops before the road straightens out at valley floor towards Rumtse. It also has a couple of other takes off points where the road loops back and forth down the cliff face.

I used it coming back but rejoined the road half way up since the area beyond was slush and snow and I did not want a surprise of having no traction in trying to go up further.

Normally such short cuts are used by GREF/BRO 4x4 stallions or equivalent. Also there are some short cuts used by tracked bulldozers. But watch out as these can be more than a what a tyred vehicle can handle.
Old 13th October 2008, 13:39   #139
Senior - BHPian

Sudev,

Exciting thread and what a lovely story with pictures to go with it. Missed it somehow till now, but finished reading it in one go.

Your narration gives more prespective and detail; I've done a thorough research on this route and Spiti loop as I was planning a drive, but could not do.

Great to read about the GV's capabilities'; evaluating options for an upgrade from my Scorpio, GV looks exciting.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
======
Old 14th October 2008, 04:27   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ramky: You are being too kind. I hope you do get time soon to do this drive.
Old 14th October 2008, 04:47   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Impressed with thirst for knowledge and high literacy rates in general found in Himachal area. In the Spiti area you will find very many people who are post-graduates. Children going to school early morning.
Name:  100_2016.png
Views: 1781
Size:  559.9 KB

Pretty girls with freshly scrubbed faces off to school. Asked to pose they stood so seriously as if deer caught in headlight glare of oncoming car.
Name:  100_2020.png
Views: 1566
Size:  333.8 KB

Barely able to suppress giggles when told to smile and not look so serious.
Name:  100_2021.png
Views: 1439
Size:  305.9 KB

A cactus flower.
Name:  100_2022.png
Views: 1550
Size:  312.7 KB

The flower is on the left and mountain in the background. One of the last pictures coming back.
Name:  100_2023.png
Views: 1797
Size:  402.5 KB

The width of Beas river just upstream of Pandoh hydro-electric project. The bubbly and racing river turns in to wide lake and waters are then diverted from Pandoh dam by underground tunnels and a link canal to merge with mighty Sutlej. The project generates huge amounts of electricity plus auguments the flow of water in the Bhakhra Dam system.
Name:  100_2036.png
Views: 2134
Size:  548.7 KB

A not to be missed walk across the river over the "vibrating" suspension bridge. Mid way through, the bridge oscillates with each step that you take and looking down at the huge reservoir lake is vertigous experience.
Name:  100_2037.png
Views: 1376
Size:  374.8 KB

Last edited by sudev : 14th October 2008 at 04:50.
Old 14th October 2008, 07:39   #142
Senior - BHPian

Wow.I'm spell bound.You know because of these pictures i am cursing myself for not buying a GV when i had the resources and going to Leh.but next year come what may i will make a trip.And i'll look up to you for advice and suggestions.
India is such a beautiful country.we need more guys like you to bring out the beauty to the people who have never been to such places.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:57   #143
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful write-up and pics, Sudev. The GV is quite under-rated, for sure, going by what you have acheived in your endeavours.
Old 14th October 2008, 12:17   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Trust me there is on the Tanglang La to Rumtse side. It takes of to left about a kilometer and half after the pass and rejoins almost at the end of loops before the road straightens out at valley floor towards Rumtse. It also has a couple of other takes off points where the road loops back and forth down the cliff face.
Here's a pic of the shortcut snaking up the mountain side.
We took the shortcut going down into Upshi, but on the way back the ice
on the track held us back from being too adventurous
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-p1070254.jpg  

Old 14th October 2008, 12:47   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

@goztuk: Looks so darned easy in the picture. The incline is about 30degree and if all loose surface. Unfortunately I did not have any picture in my sand box of this or the Lachunglung La shortcut.
Old 14th October 2008, 13:34   #146
BHPian

Quote:
@goztuk: Looks so darned easy in the picture. The incline is about 30degree and if all loose surface. Unfortunately I did not have any picture in my sand box of this or the Lachunglung La shortcut.
It sure does, Sudev. My co-driver was all white knuckles on the way down and refused to let go of the grab bar to take some pics .
Old 14th October 2008, 15:45   #147
BHPian

Fantastic pictures, brings back good memories.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:48   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@goztuk:
Sorry for the mistype gotzuk
Old 15th October 2008, 20:39   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Wow.I'm spell bound.You know because of these pictures i am cursing myself for not buying a GV ..
It is not just the GV but your whole approach in journeying to newer places that is foremost. Of course GV helps.

@benbsb29: GV is a pleasure to drive. Only the impression that it is a gas guzzler has been somehow created a negative image,
Old 17th October 2008, 21:14   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Some one has asked me how fast you drove across More Plains. Well here is a catch from YouTube. The two vehicles - Jeep Utility and Innova - were also going to Leh and they were driving across at about 80 kmph. I believe at this point I was doing 110~120kmph. Unfortunately More Plains are so vast that it does not seem that we were covering ground fast enough. On the return I clocked 140kmph as maximum speed on the GPS at same general location.

http://www.youtube.com/v/6EsGI-le5nI&hl=en&fs=1

Last edited by sudev : 17th October 2008 at 21:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks