Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 23:39   #151
BHPian

The more plain is not all that smooth. the surface is not even soft. so its is a very bumpy ride on the plains if you are not driving on the road.

if this the surface on which your video was taken then i have to say the GV is handling the surface exceptionally well. fantastic suspension

Old 17th October 2008, 23:50   #152
Team-BHP Support

Lovely photos and videos Sudev. I got hit on the head by the wifey for not taking her there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
if this the surface on which your video was taken then i have to say the GV is handling the surface exceptionally well. fantastic suspension
Well, I am not surprised, but then I am a GV owner who drives on National Horror 17. BTW, that's a great shot.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:26   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I am not surprised, but then I am a GV owner who drives on National Horror 17. BTW, that's a great shot.
Thanks i was driving my SX4 so carefully over these plains because it was so bumpy. GV seems to be a very capable car!!
Old 18th October 2008, 07:17   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

With you on surface. It is not even same all over. You have hard, loose, sandy, dusty and slushy surface inter-spread with "yumps" that can flip your car (known to have happened) if you are not careful and do not have good reactions.

Just before the earlier grab we had actually veered off the track and then just took a ninety degree turn towards the main track. Now here the GV was traveling over "virgin" surface and still going over 90kmph. At the end we join the main track which the other two cars had taken and were about three kilometers ahead atthis point.

The main track is also series of branch tracks and even at the point we over take others we actually veer off right on to a peripheral track.

http://www.youtube.com/v/jUjXNLP2omw
Old 18th October 2008, 11:32   #155
BHPian

Yikes, looking at the terrain and the speed at which you were travelling, I must say the GV handled it exceptionally well. I can't even imagine how it would feel in a normal passenger car.
Old 18th October 2008, 11:42   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Yikes, looking at the terrain and the speed at which you were travelling, I must say the GV handled it exceptionally well. I can't even imagine how it would feel in a normal passenger car.
GV has an unique advantage which most people don't know. It has unibody chassis over ladder frame, a hybrid that gives the best of both worlds. While the extreme-offroading ability is limited, it simply excels in bad road or no road driving.
Old 18th October 2008, 13:05   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually I have driven my Esteem AT - two years back on the same stretch at equally good speeds and if you are careful other cars can also do this.
SX4 would have been a breeze.
What hold you back in a car is fear of getting stuck and not knowing when any one will come to your rescue, especially if you have veered off main track. And walking it to main track at that altitude
and waiting for some one to stop and help...me shivers.....
Old 18th October 2008, 15:53   #158
BHPian

:-) we also just dd not want to take that chance of a break down. after getting stuck twice at Tanglangla we were in absolutely no mood to repeat the rescue act at More plains ;-) we were really lucky to find help quickly at Tanglangla yet puhing the car at that altitude is incredibly tough.
Old 19th October 2008, 20:03   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Yep that is why I got it in the first place. Odo reads 30000 in six months.

Well I do mind but what the heck I was called uncle ji 15 years back too.... ;-)
No doubt amazing pictures and ofcourse a beast put to good use...well done Sudev

The other thing is that I was planning to buy a GV soon...any modifications that GV vetrans can suggest to take my vehicle further away from the horizon...this is going to be my first SUV and would like to put in some extra bit... cheers:
Old 20th October 2008, 09:00   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider on Storm View Post
No doubt amazing pictures and ofcourse a beast put to good use...well done Sudev

The other thing is that I was planning to buy a GV soon...any modifications that GV vetrans can suggest to take my vehicle further away from the horizon...this is going to be my first SUV and would like to put in some extra bit... cheers:
The best mod for the GV is going to be done by Maruti themselves - the 2.4L VVT engine. Just wait for that.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:59   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Rider: Get a good set of under body plates. (see another thread by Samuari where I have also posted pictures of engine protection plates) as the original ones from Suzuki are flimsy for the OTR job. Rest more power more fun apart the current GV is also reasonably capable beast.
Secndly not a mod but get a good GPS unit for beyond the horizon use.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:07   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The best mod for the GV is going to be done by Maruti themselves - the 2.4L VVT engine. Just wait for that.
That sounds good...any idea when that might happen...

also to all GV vetrans...I am looking at some good set of lights...i mean fog lights...which ones would you suggest and from where do you advice...I plan to buy it from Gurgaon...any other accessories that you might suggest

Thanks and looking forward to a lot more on GV
Old 20th October 2008, 16:06   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider on Storm View Post
That sounds good...any idea when that might happen...

also to all GV vetrans...I am looking at some good set of lights...i mean fog lights...which ones would you suggest and from where do you advice...I plan to buy it from Gurgaon...any other accessories that you might suggest

Thanks and looking forward to a lot more on GV
Well...the GV veterans know better than me, but the current 2.0L engine is going to be discontinued worldwide by Suzuki and the 2009 GV will only have the 2.4L and 3.2L engines. For the very minimal sales volumes in India, I don't think Suzuki can continue to assemble a few 2.0L versions (one of the very few favourable side-effects of the CBU path that they have takencheers.

I think you don't have to wait far beyond Jan'09.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:09   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Up and down high passes with snow and sleet raining down.

On top of Tanglang La at 18000+ up and down this small path to temple leaves you brethless and dizzy.

Doing duty on the Raid-De-Himalaya at the first control outside Shimla.

Lovely picture of approach to Leh. Roads are super and kept up with love and care by Border Roads Organisation.

Mountains and mountains. Up and down passes is what the whole journey from Delhi to Manali to Leh to Srinagar and Back.

Approching Zozi La from Drass, the coldest inhabited place in India (and second coldest across the world). Lowest recorded was in excess of -60 degrees!

sudev, Can u please upload the above pics in large format...all wallpaper stuff! Just superb!
Old 20th October 2008, 16:51   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well...the GV veterans know better than me, but the current 2.0L engine is going to be discontinued worldwide by Suzuki and the 2009 GV will only have the 2.4L and 3.2L engines.
The 3+ is the V6 engine on for North America.

Quote:
...I don't think Suzuki can continue to assemble a few 2.0L versions (one of the very few favourable side-effects of the CBU path that they have....
GV comes CBU and not assembled in India. Yes the next consignment is for 2.4L engine but the pricing will also undergo revision 8(

@Rider: One of the best things about GV is the headlamps. I have not felt the need of installing extra lights till date and other GV guys can pipe in with their opinions.

@Ramky: File size is too big for upload. If you need I can email offline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks