Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 13:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Sudev, you know better than most of us that there is NO terrain like that anywhere else in India!
So that was a non-quiz! No offense, Tanveer!!
Old 27th June 2008, 14:26   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
...there is NO terrain like that anywhere else in India!...
Middle of Sambhar is almost similar except the hills around the "lake" show through in shimmering haze.....This was not really a quiz but more of my continuing thread on off-roading.
Old 27th June 2008, 14:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Middle of Sambhar is almost similar except the hills around the "lake" show through in shimmering haze.
THERE! Only YOU know that!
I have no clue where Sambhar is. I'll have to do a google!
Old 30th June 2008, 15:26   #94
GRV
BHPian

Impact of K&N filter on GV FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
WOW

Thanks sudev. Then why do I keep hearing about GV's, even the M/T, giving no more than 7kmpl ?!?!?! Or are you naturally a very restrained/calm driver? I'd have my dad buy one tomorrow if I was convinced about that 9kmpl+ figure !! Hey Samurai put in a word here regarding your FE ?

Hi

Pasting from suzuki-forums.com. It seems that K&N filter along with Tornado (do not know what is this) has increased FE of GV (Though this is US version of GV so most probably 189 BHP)

Posted on 16th June by member Gary Suave

I HAVE THE VERDICT. I traveled the same road all week. I drove from Rockland to Ottawa back and forth---those who know this road, it's slighty hilly and curvy.---I work at night so I avoid traffic both ways. So, HERE'S THE TRUTH!! Driving back and forth without K+N air filter. The amount of km per tank---I filled it right to the top every time---464km to 468km traveling at 98km per hr. --or 60mph. With the K+N air filter the avg km per tank was 491km to 497km. I took pictures of this proof. I'll show them soon. And finally, not to cause an arguement. I re-enstalled the tornado that was from e-bay for $9.99---now sells for $10.17 plus shipping---and the avg. km per tank is now 527km to 531km. Also the computer read-out on the dash shows an increase of 1.1km/L more than before. --from 8.7km to 9.8km. Just to let you know. I always drove alone with this test and never carried any extra cargo nor did I make any extra stops. I do keep in mind that with the vehicle breaking in, it may contribute to this. But in all honesty, to get an increase of nearly 60km per tank, I strongly doubt it would be that high of numbers without K+N or without the "TORNADO". So, if in the past, if anyone found that the Tornado or the K+N filter made no difference, I just tested it for myself, and both do work--FOR ME--by the way, I managed to toe a trailer total weight of 3,186 pounds of rocks. I drove 78km per hr. and still used cruise and overdrive with no problem. I could not drive faster because trailer started to fish-tail too much. The empty trailer weighs 784 pounds and is 5x8x2. I know these exact figures because we had each rock weighed while loading and un-loading and had a 2 pound difference. So I gave you the lowest number, not to cheat or give any faulse conclusions. So YES!! K+N plus Tornado worth the investment. --But be careful for the tornado that comes in a flat shape. THAT ONE I'M TOLD IS "NO GOOD"

Has any one of us tried K&N Filter ? I am more interested to know increase in power and smoothness in acceleration

Thanks
GRV
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:01   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Has any one of us tried K&N Filter ? I am more interested to know increase in power and smoothness in acceleration
Been hunting for K&N that will fit original as drop in replacement. Not available as yet. I did not want to put non-original yet.
Old 2nd July 2008, 21:16   #96
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Been hunting for K&N that will fit original as drop in replacement. Not available as yet. I did not want to put non-original yet.

Hi Sudev
K&N website says it is available for 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 L version albeit in other countries. Part no. 33-2361

I will call up a few dealers as mentioned in website in UK or Dubai to find out price

If the correct stuff is available would you recommend using it to increase even HP of Indian vitara ?

Thanks
GRV
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:37   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the correct stuff is available would you recommend using it to increase even HP of Indian vitara ?
GRV, there is no Indian Grand Vitara. All 2006+ GVs are supplied from Japan directly, even to USA. Only options are different. The UK 2.0L version is same as ours.
Old 3rd July 2008, 06:20   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai: GV is same except ECU mapping in India, which is derated to suit our petrol conditions, as I mentioned in my thread on 50000km report. Got confirmation of this from Maruti technical guys also and now am planning to either put a hot switchable ECU or buying Japo original.

@GRV: I have asked my garage to check yesterday. Now I will give them part number.

Yes it will give you improvement. I saw the same on my Esteem when i took it to Leh - One year with normal filter and next with K&N.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:50   #99
BHPian

Belated Congratulations for the Grand Vitara, Sudev Ji..

If you ever want a slightly used red gypsy in barter, don't hesitate to ask

Cheers
Vaibhav
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:25   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara 2009 with 2.4L, VVT, 166 BHP, 225Nm to be launched!

Hi Guys,

I was so happy to read about this on Suzuki-Forums.com that the 2009 GV will have 2.4L, VVT, in-line 4 with 166BHP and 225Nm (replacing the current 2.0L J20A sold here). And

This is going to be perfect.

I saw the pics of the test car in Taiwan (posted by a forum member) and thank god no changes to the looks (unlike the CR-V that went from being beauty to become a pig!).

And, and, and...all 4 disk brakes

I am desparately trying to contact maruti to find out when this will be launched in India, but the "Buy now" link Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara throws up "500 Internal Server Error".

I know calling their customer service numbers will be a "getting to know people" exercise...
I am thinking of writing to Suzuki Japan, telling them that this engine is just what the doctor ordered for the GV.

I, for one, did not make the final buying decision (after numerous test drives) only due to engine and gearshift feel...

I hope my wait will soon be over.

Anyone having highly placed contacts inside Maruti - can you please put up my case?

Here is the promotion video of the 2009 GV:
SUZUKI ESCUDO

Cheers,
Anand

Last edited by anandpadhye : 3rd July 2008 at 10:29.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:23   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
If you ever want a slightly used red gypsy in barter, don't hesitate to ask
It pays to be optimistic....If you ask at worst you will not get but if you do not ask you will surely not get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am desparately trying to contact maruti to find out when this will be launched in India, but the "Buy now" link Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara throws up "500 Internal Server Error".

I know calling their customer service numbers will be a "getting to know people" exercise...
AFAIK it is slated for possible launch end 2008 in India. Lips are sealed on sources.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2008 at 13:41. Reason: Please use the "EDIT" function instead of back to back posts within minutes. Thanks
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:52   #102
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
It pays to be optimistic....If you ask at worst you will not get but if you do not ask you will surely not get...

AFAIK it is slated for possible launch end 2008 in India. Lips are sealed on sources.
New 2.4 L 166 BHP vitara by end 2008 ? WoWcheers:. I have already started salivating. Will Maruti offer an easy upgrade from current one (Exchange scheme may be )

GRV
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:30   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New 2.4 L 166 BHP vitara by end 2008 ? WoWcheers:. I have already started salivating. Will Maruti offer an easy upgrade from current one (Exchange scheme may be )

GRV

How I wish they would do that...in the meanwhile working on getting more horses from this beast...
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:41   #104
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, the current gen GV was launched worldwide in 2006, it came to India only mid 2007. I doubt Maruti will bring it here just a year after the current gen GV. I wish they bring in the common rail engine instead.
Old 3rd July 2008, 23:01   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, the current gen GV was launched worldwide in 2006, it came to India only mid 2007. I doubt Maruti will bring it here just a year after the current gen GV. I wish they bring in the common rail engine instead.
Current Gen GV was launched late, but the previous one was stopped a long time before the launch.

Here, it's more of a case of engine change.
The 2.0L in-line and 2.7L V6 both are being discontinued worldwide to be replaced by 2.4L in-line and 3.2L V6!

Maruti is hardly selling 3-digits a month. Suzuki can not afford to continue to make the 2.0L engine for such a small market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks