Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 11:35   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

...continuing further.
Finally the fox also got tired and walked off with the bird in his mouth, to go in to the bush and eat at leisure.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1568.jpg  

Old 13th June 2008, 11:44   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

After a bit of rocky river bed crossing we came to a steep climb and slush made is a little tricky in climbing up. Unfortunately there is no picture of that but what came next was mind blowing four kilometer long straight stretch of road that was a dream for a rally guy. Right through heavy forest and dense under bush. Had it not been raining this would be ideal spot to stop and observe birds and animals. But with rains we were not able to see much.
A little further on we again crossed a river bed and while climbing another slushy bank we came to stop with road blocked by freshly felled tree - handiwork of wild elephant(s) - and not wanting to be caught in a narrow area in company of such a beast we beat a hasty retreat.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1569.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1570.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 16:21   #78
GRV
BHPian

Gv Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
WOW

Thanks sudev. Then why do I keep hearing about GV's, even the M/T, giving no more than 7kmpl ?!?!?! Or are you naturally a very restrained/calm driver? I'd have my dad buy one tomorrow if I was convinced about that 9kmpl+ figure !! Hey Samurai put in a word here regarding your FE ?
Hi

I have just returned yesterday (19th June 2008) from 1400 KM drive : Delhi - Chandigarh-Shimla-Narkanda-Sangla Valley-Kalpa and Back. The FE for the trip is 10.4 KMPL. out of 1400 Kms approximately 800 Kms was in the hills.

On routine trip from Residence to office and back (very crowded, DLF cyber city area in Gurgaon) I get FE of 9.6 with AC on
Old 20th June 2008, 16:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi

I have just returned yesterday (19th June 2008) from 1400 KM drive : Delhi - Chandigarh-Shimla-Narkanda-Sangla Valley-Kalpa and Back. The FE for the trip is 10.4 KMPL. out of 1400 Kms approximately 800 Kms was in the hills.
Would love to see a small triplog from you, GRV!
Any idea where along NH22 the new landslide took place 2 days back?
Old 20th June 2008, 17:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi GRV,

I get 11.5 in my SX4 on the crowded section from old Gurgaon to DLF Infinity. So your GV(assumed) is not giving bad FE.

BTW can you please write about the road condition from Rampur onwards

Quote:
Hi

On routine trip from Residence to office and back (very crowded, DLF cyber city area in Gurgaon) I get FE of 9.6 with AC on
Old 21st June 2008, 11:37   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not good .... post some pictures. I know that area is lovely and must have been heaven at this time with a GV under your seat.
Old 21st June 2008, 12:42   #82
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Would love to see a small triplog from you, GRV!
Any idea where along NH22 the new landslide took place 2 days back?
Sorry,
I was lazy in not writing a mini travelogue / road condition and photograph. Here it comes.

The road till Narkanda (From Shimla) was ok with few bad patches, slightly worsened off between Narkanda and Rampur. From Rampur onwards till Karcham (Via Wangtu), road is not good due to Dam construction. But still it is motorable (Wagtu and Karcham is almost Mud Track , but not much slippery; May be for a GV not sure about 2W drives)

From Karcham to Sangla road is narrow (GV and another car can not pass simultaneously) and top surface of the road has come off at most of the patches. Road from Sangla village to Chitkul is in good condition with really fantastic views all around. I crossed two water streams flowing through the road, but the third water stream (one just 4 kms before Chitkul) terminated by pleasure drive pre maturely.

Though I still believed that my GV could have crossed the third stream, but my Honda Loving Wife refused to have confidence on GV capability

I started from Sangla towards next destination TABO & KAZA but at Recong peo (where I had gone to fill up the tank) I came to know that road at Malling Nallah (Just after nako lake) has been blocked due to land slide.

To avoid such frequent land slide at malling nallah, a new by pass has been constructed and it is ironical that the new by pass has fallen off and blocked the road.

We could not proceed to Tabo and decided to stay at Kalpa for a day and then drive back home.

It has been raining everywhere in the hills specially drizzling in the morning, cloudly through out the day and again drizzlew in the evening. We went to Sangla on 14th June and returned on 19th. the rodad condition between Shimla and Sangla has worsnded off considerably in these 4 days. If the weather continues like this then I do not think one should go in last week of June or July.

Every Hotel / Guest house in Sangla / Kalpa had plenty of room available (Occupancy only 20% at max). Igloo Resort (1 KM up on Chitkul road , way beofre other tented accos) is a very good value for money. (Rs.800 per night incl taxes but no meals). Compare this with Banjara (Rs. 6700 for three including meals) and Baikunth (Rs.4550) Igloo was a good deal.

Just before Chikul there is an ITBP camp in Mastarang and the commander of the camp Mr. Vijay Yadav is a very helpful and friendly person. I met him at the stream before Chitkul (where the road was blocked), where he offered to give us a life on his military truck that crossed the nallah anyway. (and we refused to take this offer, silly decision)

Not able to upload the photos. I will check how to upload it and then post a few photographs.

Anyone interested to know more information for planning a trip can contact me , would be glad to help

GRV
Old 21st June 2008, 13:29   #83
GRV
BHPian

Here are a few Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-beautiful-valley.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-karcham-sangla-2.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-muddy-stretch-karcham.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-nallah-just-before-chitkul-blocked-our-journey.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-road-karcham-sangla.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-stream-we-crossed-gv.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-stretch-wangtu-karcham.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-visibility-3-noon-between-narkanda-shimla.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2008, 06:08   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures. But none of the GV?
How did you like the handling in the hills? I feel that at the low end engine struggles a bit. Better to down shift than have the judder.
Old 22nd June 2008, 08:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GRV!
However the photos are 'small' size. Would like to have them in larger format - 800X600! And of course, more photos would be welcome.
Old 22nd June 2008, 17:26   #86
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Nice pictures. But none of the GV?
How did you like the handling in the hills? I feel that at the low end engine struggles a bit. Better to down shift than have the judder.
On Turning even at high speed handling was very assuring. You are right that at low RPM the engine struggles. Even a moderate ascend demands shifting to first gear. Twice during the trip, when I was using the 2nd gear and the car came to halt due to inadequate torque. First time I was irritated and disappointed with my GV. If only it had a bit more torque.

I had also observed very high degree of vibration when crossing the section between Wangtu and Karcham. The road was covered with mud and pebbles and had a series of very small ducts cut on the road. I assume that was the cause of vibration. The vibration was really very obvious and disappeared after crossing that particular section of the road.

I am wondering how Honda CRV handles the ascends ?

GRV
Old 27th June 2008, 12:23   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Just one frame and that too at dusk. Wish I had taken a 360degree panaroma. View in all directions stretching beyond the horizon was same. Any guess where this could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1689.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 12:26   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

As yes..a close up of the spoon bills. It was actually interesting to see how they forage for food and skim the surface of water with their uniquely shaped bills. Guessed the location?
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1688.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 12:26   #89
Team-BHP Support

Rann Of Kutchh or nearby?
Old 27th June 2008, 12:56   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Rann Of Kutchh or nearby?
Damn...TBHP guys are quick...yep. This was taken off roading in to the main Rann of Kutch near Jhajham (Radhanpur). Sadly monsoons had let loose a couple of days earlier and so were restricted to only 10 odd kms in to the Rann.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks