Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 23:08   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Maruti is hardly selling 3-digits a month. Suzuki can not afford to continue to make the 2.0L engine for such a small market.
Suzuki has been selling current gen GV in 2.7L, 2.0L and 1.6L and 1.9L diesel all over the world. Maruti sales of GV won't make a difference.
Old 4th July 2008, 10:37   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Suzuki has been selling current gen GV in 2.7L, 2.0L and 1.6L and 1.9L diesel all over the world. Maruti sales of GV won't make a difference.
Exactly.

1.6L is only for the 3 door version.
2.7L V6 is only in US (the 2.0L and 1.9L diesel are not approved for sale there).
2.0L (alongwith 1.9L diesel) is sold in Canada, Europe, UK and Australia (majority sales are 1.9L diesel, there).

Thus, when they discontinue 2.0L, there is no chance for them to keep making it in miniscule numbers.

Had it not been for the CBU, Maruti would have dumped the 2.0L on us for years to come...
Old 10th July 2008, 21:45   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Sudev,

So, after 50,000 KM of running, what's the report on brake pads and brake disks?
Did you replace either of them?

What's the cost?

For my NHC, during the 60,000 KM service I just enquired and found out that NHC brake pads (pair) costs ~Rs. 3500 and if brake disks need replacement, they cost ~Rs. 1500!
Old 11th July 2008, 08:55   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

No...still running original discs and pads. And they have quite a bit of life left.
Pricing of parts is okay. Some of the parts were quite "lower" than my expectation but then the plastic parts are "higher" than norm.

Biggest shocker till date ... a set of original mud flaps will set you back 10k!!! I got it as part of discount on purchase else would have never used them. But not only here even internationally these are priced so as google revealed.
Old 24th September 2008, 02:22   #110
BHPian

for all you vitara owners; maybe you want to turn your ride to something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-4429206171.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-7607083151.jpg  

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-8988457641.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 24th September 2008, 06:25   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah...if we had V6 power that is sold in USA this may be a way forward but with Sraight4-2.0L it would be a overstatement of intent... ;-)

A great detailing on muffler. Why spew them out side ways? Prevent water intake in marshy terrain?
Old 9th October 2008, 20:35   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this going to be another exotic place or too many pictures of Leh making their way to the forum? You be the judge. But this is going to be long post. I would post another thread detailing experiences as a official on the Raid.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1733.jpg
After doing the work for the first day of the Raid taking a breather around the Narkanda area.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1763.jpg
Beautiful autumn colors at Sisu, on way to Keylong. After Rohtang the area generally becomes dry and overall greenery reduces. But it is still not a dry desert.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1768.jpg
Lovely farm house that I would love to own. It is actually a Potato research station. Lahaul Spiti valley is know for its peas and potatoes. Hectic harvesting activity is on display during late autumn.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1776.jpg
Broken bridge. The entire road is linked using Baily bridges but the top plates or under lying girders can twist or jump out if a a vehicle with more than design load goes over. Or speeds over. Earlier this year main bridge on Chandra river near Koksar broke down due to overloaded truck attempting a crossing resulting in the road being cut off for more than ten days. At Koksar you can see the old bridge lying in the middle of the river.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1781.jpg
Fortunately here there was an wade through rock and water alternate which was blocked for over an hour due to stuck up Innova. Once we arrived we pulled out our tow rope and within seconds the vehicle was pulled out by a truck. And we could carry on climbing Baralacha La. The detour did not present any problem to GV.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1788.jpg
Snow bank lined our ascent and decent around Baralacha La. This stretch can be dangerous as the next picture shows.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1802.jpg
We stopped and shared a cup of tea with the driver of the "fallen" truck. The driver of other truck had gone down to Ambala (their base of operations) to get help. It had been twelve days since his truck had been swept down by a snow slide coming from above. He was alone and spent the time alternating between huddling in his truck cab or soaking in sun. On or return trip we were relieved to see the truck had been rescued.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1824.jpg
Some one with GPS has tried correcting the height.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1827.jpg
A mountain goat was surprised to see our GV climbing a "short cut" up the slope of Tanglang La. There are many of these short cuts that can cut down distance going up or down a pass for a 4x4 vehicle. GV did the job admirably.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1922.jpg
A "Kiang" or the Wild 4SS (Sorry but forum and mods do not permit proper use of English in this instance) found in More plains is linked to those found in the Rann of Kutch. Extremes tempratures - Hot and Cold - can be tolerated by this species.

Name:  100_1865.JPG
Views: 2917
Size:  81.1 KB
At edge of More plains we took a "detour" towards Tso Kar lake. This is a gully between two mountain ridges. Due to extreme heights the mountain ridges do not look that imposing. But just to give you an idea about More plains, the average base of valley floor is at 15000 feet and the rainges around it tower between 20000~25000 feet. Can you find the metalled road across the valley that is used by normal traffic. The detour was turned more interesting when we engaged "Low Lock" and took a right turn straight up the slope of mountain. We nearly managed to reach the snow line and what a view it gave us.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1867.jpg
The GV looking cool parked near the snow line. Unfortunately I was quite out of breath to try and climb further up and try taking a snap that could justify the magnificance of this area.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1963.jpg
The arrow straight road to Leh is a pleasure to drive. You can hit 140 plus here - we did.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_2005.jpg
This IOC pump in Leh ran out of fuel. Not that we were really worried. We had picked up 20lt can of petrol as a back up in Keylong. Coming up we got FE of 10.2kpl. With a 64lt tank we could have made it back to Keylong 365Kms away.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1999.jpg
The cleaning of GV in progress at MAS in Leh. The reason why GV needed a really good clean inside also is evident. I will describe the reason in the other post mentioned in the begining.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_2043.jpg
GPS log of return trip. Total distance from Leh market to Faridabad home - 1072Kms. Driving time of 24 hours. Including a 12 hour rest at Manali for night the total time was under 36hours. This includes three hours for last 50Kms to cross Delhi with its perpetual traffic jams.
Since I was driving all the time I did not push it but with two guys taking turns Leh-Delhi is doable in under 24hrs - So who is going to do it?
Old 9th October 2008, 21:18   #113
BHPian

Really interesting pictures. I enjoyed the look on the goat's face!!

OT: what GPS device are you using?
Old 9th October 2008, 21:37   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Never forgotten images from the road to Leh via Manali.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1762.jpg
The old temple at Sisu is still standing tall despite very poor upkeep. Unlike similar temples in other areas this one does not seem to have a keeper.

Name:  100_1767.JPG
Views: 2674
Size:  80.1 KB
Majestic peak - unnamed - stading behind Godhala village. The other fact about Godhala is that this is the village of Soni (of Soni-Mahiwal folk lore) and one can attest to fact that girls around this area are all radiant and beautiful.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1775.jpg
A new building that has come up in Jispa village. The only good hotel that can act as a midway break for a traveler is Hotel Ibex at Jispa. Or one can stay at Tourism Hotel at Keylong another hour away towards Manali.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1800.jpg
Baralacha La is a unique pass as it connect three valleys (slopes). The road comes up from direction of Jispa/Darcha and the Bhaga river runs down that way. The road goes down towards Sarchu and the river Lingti Chu (??) flows down this way. The thrid slope is towards Chandra Tal, about 20Kms away, which is source of river Chandra. Chandra and Bhaga join at Keylong to make Chandra-Bhaga. This river is called Chenab on its entry to J&K.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1808.jpg
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1815.jpg
These two pictures are of Gata loops. As the sign at the start says there are 21loops and in these 21 twisty turn the road climbs 2000 feet.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1838.jpg
Be catious about driving here as many rusted forms keep reminding you. "Do not be a Gama in the Land of Lama" is refrain that Border Roads Organisation has put up all along the route.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1850.jpg
Icicles hanging down above the road tend to drop. One of them just did about 50 feet ahead of us. They look sharp and heavy. The view is from right under while peeping out from the drivers windows looking straight up.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1854.jpg
The welcome sight of Yurts at Pang. Plenty of noodle soup and daal chawal
is sure to revive your flagging spirits. Pang is sort of half way house between Manali and Leh.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1855.jpg
Pretty and hardy women "man" these dhabas that also server as night abode for bus passengers and truck wallahs caught in the weather for few days or overnight travellers.

Last edited by sudev : 9th October 2008 at 21:39.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:38   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Really interesting pictures. I enjoyed the look on the goat's face!!
Thanks.

Quote:
OT: what GPS device are you using?
Garmin 76CSX
Old 9th October 2008, 21:53   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1863.jpg
The endless seeming view of Tso Kar valley and lake.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1930.jpg
Tried my best to capture this soaring eagle. With my rudimentary Koadak camera this was best I could get. However seeing that eagle soaring effortlessly was a breathtaking sight. I wanted to fly away in to the blue sky like him.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1851.jpg
I do not knwo if man or nature made this. I tend to think the latter.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1939.jpg
"Sarv Dharma" temple at top of Tanglang La. At 18000feet the Mandir baord says it is alright to walk in with your shoes. Watch the iced over slippery steps while walking up or down though. And this much effort is sufficient to kill your breathing for minutes.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1970.jpg
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1983.jpg
Indus and the greenery it brings to the valley around Leh.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1984.jpg
Facade of a monastry. Intricate wood work in area where wood is hard to come by.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_1990.jpg
Votive candles inside. Tulip or "kamal" shaped.

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_2024.jpg
Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_2025.jpg
While the parents worked this young one minded the younger sibling. Smile on their faces after getting an Alpenlibe apiece. Always carry a bag of them to see a bright smile on the faces of children when you give one to them and say "Juley" - welcome in Ladakhese.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:57   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara - Offroading in exotic places-100_2026.jpg
The Kullu Dussehra was just getting under way when we were returning. Men from 360 odd villiages carry in the village deities to Kullu and then from the day of Dussehra next seven days is party time. Here a group from a village is wlaking towards Kullu.
Old 9th October 2008, 22:10   #118
Senior - BHPian

Very entertaining reading Sudev. When does the road from Manali to Ladakh close for the winter(which is what I thought).. or is it open through out?
Old 10th October 2008, 11:11   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Very entertaining reading Sudev. When does the road from Manali to Ladakh close for the winter(which is what I thought).. or is it open through out?
Officially Leh road is not opened (or cleared again after snow fall) starting October 15th. The Keylong (Rohtang La) is kept open till November 15th.
Old 10th October 2008, 13:36   #120
BHPian

Beautiful pictures, any shots of the Raid ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks