Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 11:45   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 6th June 2008 - Let's go to Goa!

Wake up!!

Finally a holiday.
---------------------------------------
TheOne® had arrived almost a week ago. A fairly uneventful week, as was expected. Most of the time was spent understanding life in India on her own, meeting a few friends and planning the renovation of their home at Mumbai, a job that was scheduled to run into another 4 months.

The interior designer was having a difficult time understanding her European sense of design and aesthetics. She was having difficulty understanding needs of construction in a tropical and dusty environment.
The week was busy and often stressful. The Yeti® and TheOne® had regular detailed discussions about the home and kept trying to find common ground to agree on, to relay to the interior designer.
While he tried to get back home earlier than usual, it didn't always happen.

The food was new and often spicy by her standards. But she didn't complain much. What bothered her a lot was the time spent travelling from one place to another, in the traffic.

It was hot when she had arrived and The Yeti® had made sure the aircon was fit and working for the nights. 4 nights later, the rain arrived. A lot of it.
The iPhone predicted heavy rains at Goa, all week.

She was dying for the sun. Like any good firang all she wanted was to lie in the hot Indian sun and get a tan. Even though there was a thunderstorm in Mumbai, she optimistically packed 3 different kinds of Sun Block. One for the Yeti and 2 for her.
Trying on her new bikinis (An unfortunate earlier incident had left her with only the top half of her favourite bikini) and excited by the prospect of another holiday, she had been singing and smiling lots while packing all their things.

She could never tolerate the way he packed his stuff, it would drive her German mind insane.

Just leave your things on the side. I will pack them with mine. God!

They never carried 2 bags. She always packed both their things together. It always gave her a some kind of comfort to keep all their stuff, clothes, delicates - all together wrapped up close to each other.

She had packed the previous evening with her usual quiet organised efficiency while he romped around the room naked, singing songs loudly, tickling her back and pinching her in awkward places till she laughed, cried and got angry with him all at the same time.

They had finished off a bottle of Rose' wine at the restaurant last night, it had been a good meal...

----------------------------------------------

Wake up Jennifer!! It's time to go, we're going to Goa!!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th June 2008 at 11:50.
Old 13th June 2008, 11:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well ! Sam just cant ask for anything more on a lazy friday here in Bangy with the climate outside being cloudy and waiting for your Yeti Chronicle updates.
With you around there is always a happenstance in store for all of us. Get it on the Yeti Style.

Gosh! the story is not yet rolled and its 3pages with a 5 star rating. Man You rock Sam!
Old 13th June 2008, 11:58   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Sam, you shoved your legs ???
Where would I shove my leg baba?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
But where is the another anklet ??
She wears just one. She loves it madly and makes little chin-chin sounds wherever she walks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
With you around there is always a happenstance in store for all of us
Hey Mavrick thanks. I am glad you enjoy the stories.
I had to notice you used happenstance. It's not used in modern English and often misunderstood or misused.

Happenstance is a coincidence. Not an event or something happening. Just thought I'd guide you a little, since I think you used it incorrectly. Don't mind me, you know how silly I am.

But great word. Thanks for bringing it up. I think I'd like to adopt it. Happenstance is such a nice educated word, much nicer than coincidence.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th June 2008 at 11:59.
Old 13th June 2008, 12:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
bottle of Rose' wine !!

Which one ? Just wondering
Old 13th June 2008, 12:11   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Which one ? Just wondering
That night we had a bottle of White Zinfindel. Rose' is young and grape juicy light, irreverent and casual wine.

While Rose' is not my natural choice, I find it a safe choice on a humid day, especially when I'm not in the mood for a strong red or dry white.
It's also a great choice for new wine drinkers who are not sure about wine culture, most of which is pretentious in India anyway. it's young and fresh, tastes like grape juice and you don't have to pretend with words like bouquet, body, clarity and how dry it is etc. Just order the Rose', make sure it is nicely chilled and drink up. No fuss, no pretension.

Also great when you simply cannot decide what wine will go well with your meal.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th June 2008 at 12:13.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2008, 12:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

LOL Sam I think he meant Shaved

Another Saga begins, awaiting full story
Old 13th June 2008, 12:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Where would I shove my leg baba?

She wears just one. She loves it madly and makes little chin-chin sounds wherever she walks.

Hey Mavrick thanks. I am glad you enjoy the stories.
I had to notice you used happenstance. It's not used in modern English and often misunderstood or misused.

Happenstance is a coincidence. Not an event or something happening. Just thought I'd guide you a little, since I think you used it incorrectly. Don't mind me, you know how silly I am.

But great word. Thanks for bringing it up. I think I'd like to adopt it. Happenstance is such a nice educated word, much nicer than coincidence.
I dont mind taking english lessons from you Sam as i vividly remember that its used as a chance happening or an event (happening + circumstance), anyways thanks for the correction.
Old 13th June 2008, 12:30   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.

From "Goldfinger". Why the difference, Sam ?
Old 13th June 2008, 12:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

arrey baba nikhil lets not hijack this thread, as its discussed the third time which is definitely enemy action ..... Let the Yeti story flow
Old 13th June 2008, 12:34   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry. Will continue this in the English thread !!
Old 13th June 2008, 12:46   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 6th June 2008 - continued

Soon we get dressed, I in my trademark knee lengths and she's in a lovely long skirt. The driver's on time and they're off to the airport.

Jetlite mein aapka swagat hai. Goa tak ki doori hum 45 minutes mein poori karenge.

2 hours later, we're still waiting on the runway. It is hot and stuffy. The pilot keeps crackling on to apologise for the delay and tell everyone that it's not his fault, it is the traffic control.
I have my iPod, banging away on the imaginary drums and TheOne® is trying to read. She taps me every now and then without looking, an occasional gentle tap on my knee to remind me to stop shaking in this jittery way that bothers her so much. I just cannot sit still. lol

The weather is awful and the landing into Goa and peppered with rainspray and the aircraft is buffeted around by the turbulent air.
It's late afternoon by the time the doors open to Dabolim.

The humidity rushes in quickly to fill up the air conditioned space inside the aircraft. All we can hear is a strong SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that the torrential rain is making.

She looks pained. All she wanted was a hot sunny beach. I keep supressing an urge to apologise for the weather. It isn't really my fault. Dastardly early monsoon.

One pre-paid taxi later, we're on the Calangute-Candolim road, where our ferienhaus is located.
---------------------------

Jenny knew of my habit of hunting for exotic and expensive hotels. There was a lot of expenses being incurred on the house and she had repeatedly asked me to book a small, inexpensive place to stay.
A ferienhaus is a German word for a little holiday home. Ferienhauser are service villas, with completely equipped kitchens.

I did a little internet research and found a little home, with a lovely garden, a bathroom, one large room and a kitchen.
We both enjoy tinkering around in the kitchen, cutting up cheese and fruit and cooking up little eggs and things. That is truly more relaxing to us than having breakfast at a hotel buffet in the morning.

It was inexpensive and run well. Away from the regular hotels and just perfect for 3 nights.
-----------------------------------------

Holiday street on the calangute-candolim road, near Little Italy restaurant I shout over the rain's SSHHHHHHH to the bald Maruti van driver.

Soon we're there. As expected, a clean little home. The kind lady hands over the keys and instructions. As soon as we are inside the house, the rain almost stops.

A phenomenon that stays with us through this journey.

A YetiHoliday® - TheYeti®, TheOne®, The Activa and a very wet Goa-dsc_0073_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheYeti®, TheOne®, The Activa and a very wet Goa-dsc_0076_thumb.jpg

The wet deck chairs stare at them from the lawns teasing the German lady, reminding her of what she could have been doing.

I am not willing to mope. No, it's time to explore Goa.

Can you help us rent a motorbike?

A price is decided on the mobile phone and in 20 minutes a guy drops over the Active with 5000 kms on the clock.

There isn't any petrol in here.
Yes, you can put.
Where is the pump?
You don't need pump. You can buy from general store.
??
You buy bottle of petrol, one-one litre. Put it in.
Ah.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 16th June 2008 at 12:48.
Old 13th June 2008, 12:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

How much did the Activa cost you, Sam ? What about the petrol ?
Old 13th June 2008, 13:06   #58
BHPian

Loved the one-one litre part!!!
So typical of the local folk wherever you go in this wonderful country of ours.
Sam, your last travelogue inspired me to go to Neemrana, Delhi and the Taj. I am making that trip in August. The better half has no idea about Neemrana as it is a surprise from my side and a Wedding anniversary gift.
Now once this travelogue is complete, guess i will be making a Beeline to Goa.
In the path of the great TheYeti®
Old 13th June 2008, 13:17   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
How much did the Activa cost you, Sam ?
We asked him to deliver the Activa to us on Friday and pick it up on Monday, late morning. A price of Rs. 700/- was agreed upon in total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
What about the petrol ?
A YetiHoliday® - TheYeti®, TheOne®, The Activa and a very wet Goa-dsc_0082_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheYeti®, TheOne®, The Activa and a very wet Goa-dsc_0083_thumb.jpg

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th June 2008 at 13:19.
Old 13th June 2008, 13:23   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
The better half has no idea about Neemrana as it is a surprise from my side and a Wedding anniversary gift.
Oh how truly wonderful!!

Have you booked already? I recommend booking now, if you want a good room in August. I am sure she will love you even more for that. You are going to have a super special anniversary.

PM me if you want any assistance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks