Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 18:46   #46
BHPian

Running Commentary...

Quote:
They have reached Vijayawada at 8:30AM. Had breakfast there and left at 9AM. Targeting lunch post Vizag by 2PM.
Quote:
They have passed the Ichchapuram Check post and now heading towards Berhampore. After continuous driving GSMINC was feeling very fatique before Srikakulam and thought to take night halt at Berhampore.
Quote:
THey stopped for a leisure lunch at Vizag Bypass (NH5). Targeting Gopalpur halt for the evening there. If Tempo persists might as well try for Bhubaneshwar by 10pm.
This is just great! Even though Arindam and GSMINC are 100s of Kms away, the regular updates a'la running commentary being posted by akroy gives us the feeling of being part of the journey ourselves...

Keep going guys, be back in BLR soon.
Old 10th April 2009, 19:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Wow Abhi! you sure are keeping us folks updated about their actitivites. Good to note this though...Will surely keep an eye on this from now on.
Old 10th April 2009, 20:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy yourselves guys!

Do hope you stop to rest adequately - Personally I would not like to drive at night and miss out on all the sights.

At least stop to put up snaps and a line or two - highlights of the day types!
Old 10th April 2009, 20:34   #49
BHPian

Amazin man!!

What Enthu?
Old 10th April 2009, 22:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Latest Update of the day

They have reached safely at Hotel residency @ BBSR. But the car suffered a minor Dog Hit. Rest from the Horses mouth (Arindam connecting his laptop for the day update)

Abhi
Old 10th April 2009, 23:24   #51
BHPian

Update - Day 0 and Day 1

So finally the drive ended for the day, it was almost 24 hrs.

Both of us were excited enough, and thus we had beaten the starting time and started from my house at 22:30 itself (planned was 23:00).

On insistence of Shiv we took the silk board route.

Some of the milestones (Start @ 22:30, Odo 30164)
Hosur - 23:30, 30202
Chennai - 02:55, 30505
Ongole - 06:48, 30806
Vijaywada - 08:28, 30951
Rajamundry - 11:30, 31147
Vizag - 14:20, 31351
Icchapuram - 17:55, 31579
Bhuvaneshwar - 21:30, 31770

Thanks akroy giving regular update.

Two negative incidents worth mentioning -

Morning a bouncing cricket ball on the road kissed the bonnet, later we noticed it resulted in a dent on the bonnet.

Evening just before Bhuvaneswar, a dog suddenly decides to retrace its path back and come directly on our trajectory. We were sad as for both of us this was the first time it happened in the car we were travelling in. However after getting the car parked in the hotel we saw the damages as - dent in bumper (can be pushed back to its original shape), fog light not working, horn wiring detached (to be fixed).

MASS is in the next building of our hotel.

Driving is majorly done by Shiv, I was just relieving him for his power naps.

Road update: One side (2 lanes) of the Icchapuram bypass is ready, except for around 10 m stretch at the Orissa side.

Dance of Democracy update: Every car is being checked for election smuggling of cash, sarees, liquour, repetitively.

I am downloading the snaps, and if possible with data card, will upload.
Old 10th April 2009, 23:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

oh awesomes - you guys are doing a kickass job. varanasi tomorrow?

NH2 between Kanpur and Delhi is completely perfect (as much as it can be), except around Kanpur you will come across atleast 15-20 truckers (and countless autos/rickshaws/bikers) on the wrong side - and consequent smashed up trucks/buses. Be very careful at the night stretches as the road is otherwise perfect but these "warning stones" and smashed up vehicles may be anywhere.

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th April 2009 at 23:30.
Old 11th April 2009, 00:18   #53
BHPian

Sorry, snaps are not uploading... need to wait for better connection :(
Old 11th April 2009, 01:21   #54
BHPian

@ Arindam.

Guess I might be crossing you tomorrow night when I am on my way from Delhi to Lucknow. Look out for a 800 with Fog Lights and Team BHP on its front windshield. []
Old 11th April 2009, 07:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Good Show Arindam and GSMINC !! Kudos to you guys.

I am excited for the rest of the days as well.

Abhi
Old 11th April 2009, 08:05   #56
BHPian

After a hectic but fun 24 hours, y'day. Today is a day with a lesiure start owing to opening time of MASS, which we are planning to visit first before embarking on our journey.

We still hold the plan of doing off GQ BBSR-PURI-BBSR, and continue our GQ run from BBSR, around noon (Though GSM is confident, I am apprehensive whether we will be able to cover Puri so fast). I am hoping to reach Kolkata by 7 or 8 pm, hoping no major hold up in Kolaghat.

Morning got up at 7:00 am. Had little tough time to get Shiv up, after I was ready.

@akroy: can you check with planetrocker whether they are ok for a meet at around 7:00 pm. Also can you please pass my number to him and ask him to send sms, so that I can firm up the plan.

We are still at hotel, though plan was to check-out by 8:00 am.
Old 11th April 2009, 08:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic guys.

I was doing all sort of calculations for a 700 kms trip (though its within my physical and metal capability). This thread update has given me enough confidence to undertake the trip , but unfortunately the trip got canceled by the other party.

Hope this will turn into a travelogue than a mere update thread with tons of photos.
Old 11th April 2009, 08:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
We still hold the plan of doing off GQ BBSR-PURI-BBSR, and continue our GQ run from BBSR, around noon (Though GSM is confident, I am apprehensive whether we will be able to cover Puri so fast). I am hoping to reach Kolkata by 7 or 8 pm, hoping no major hold up in Kolaghat.
Me too. I feel it will difficult for you to leave Cuttack by 2PM now. You can only reach kolkata by 9PM. Anyway keeping my fingers crossed.

Other option I have SMSed you. Keep the car for repair at MASS and you guys take a cab to Puri. I think in that way it will faster. You need not have to worry for parking / routes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
@akroy: can you check with planetrocker whether they are ok for a meet at around 7:00 pm. Also can you please pass my number to him and ask him to send sms, so that I can firm up the plan.
done.

Abhi
Old 11th April 2009, 09:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Arindam,

Great plan and a great run so far....... you're doing good time. Excited to see something like this happening AGAIN

Buzz me when you pass thro. Ahmedabad @ 09377203000, whatever time it is; would love to meet you guys..... if yor are planning to stop over around here, let me know.

All the best and enjoy while it happens; something like this does not happen very often in ones life.

@AKROY: When you talk to them please pass on my message?

--Ramky
-------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 11th April 2009 at 09:52.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Update 12 Noon:

GSMINC and Arindam left BBSR at 11AM after repairing the car bumper at MASS (cost Rs400 only). They had to drop the Puri plan because of this delay. So now it is Kolkata direct. Hopefully they can reach by 6PM.

Other Update: HVKumar is somewhere near Kharagpur now. He plans to enter Kolkata to buy 2 tyres (his 2 tyres have severe cut hence delaying his schedule). Planetrocker will receive him from Vidyasagar setu to the Kolkata Tyrewala (Minku, who has already kept two Duellers AT ready for Kumar).

After that there might a small meet at City Centre mall, Salt Lake.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks