Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 19:01   #181
Senior - BHPian

@ Ramky - No amount of thanks can equal the help you have done to both Arindam & Shiv. Looks like this stretch of the road has been done with poor alignment. If sign boards are not helping may be its time for bringing on the "Mysore Road" speed breakers to prevent accidents - but with proper warning signs
Old 15th April 2009, 20:07   #182
BHPian

I am heart-broken to see the crash pictures. Only 4 days back I took snaps of this vehicle in BBSR and the next day, I spent 16 hours in this vehicle.

As mentioned earlier, I was impressed by Shiv's driving skills and responses but blame it on our unscientific road designing that an incident like this happened.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:10   #183
Senior - BHPian

Ramky Sir, The Scorpio looked like somersaulted a few times unlike the swift which I think looks pretty firm.
Atleast at the looks it doesnt look that bad to go for a TOTAL LOSS. May be some major structural damage inside.

Abhi
Old 15th April 2009, 22:29   #184
BHPian

@home

Reached home; most probably at the same time if the 'RUN' was completed successfully.

Surveyor had come and inspected the vehicle. But it will take them 5-6 days to decide whether it will be a total loss or not. Shiva is taking morning flight back tomorrow.

It is sad that we had to abort the trip at the 75% stage, but definitely the 4500 km run was enjoyable and getting to meet fellow tbhpians - tirthankar, hitanshu, suman and ramky was great.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ramky Sir, The Scorpio looked like somersaulted a few times unlike the swift which I think looks pretty firm.
Atleast at the looks it doesnt look that bad to go for a TOTAL LOSS. May be some major structural damage inside.

Abhi
The police guy said the Scorp turned turtle on the same curve but nobody lost lives, some were hurt; they were most amazed that our guys got out without a scratch!!!!! Shiva was not wearing his belts (Shiva, you have used up all your luck, better start now).

The Swift, as reported by Shiva, was on the sharp curve, the rear right hit the divider and he must have lost control and ran off the road and fell into a ditch.

The MASS guy spoke to me at 9 pm, said the power steering was gone, the engine could be OK, but if the value of the spares and repair exceeds the WDValue of the car, its better to go for total. From what I have seen, the chasis could also be out of kelter; it would take a lot of money, repair and tinkering to get it back to previous condition. A lot of time and effort while you can go for a new car, yes, the financial loss would be about 1-2 L. I consider that negligiable as both came out unscatched, got out of a dicey border area, we could take some quick decisions, got moving and reached Ahmedabd around midnight, unloaded the car and got the surveyer to get the process on and both can go home to their families.

-----

Last edited by ramkya1 : 15th April 2009 at 22:56.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:02   #186
BHPian

Glad everyone made it safe.
Hope no one gets to experience this, never again.

I personally feel, it should be marked a Total Loss; no amount of repair-work on the chassis would bring back to the original condition.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:34   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ramkya1 - hats off to you. 10 on 10 for your help to the team. I would like to mention another such road. It starts from Ghoti near Nasik and goes to the Bhandardara dam. After the railway crossing, there are a series of very poorly made left turns where similar incidents have happened. I go there for testing so I know but others have been unlucky. We must be careful. As far as the car is concerned, I think that they may agree to a body shell change instead of totalling the car which seems unlikely looking at the photographs.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th April 2009, 10:55   #188
BHPian

I know for Shiv it will be a difficult decision to make as he may be emotionally attached to the Car as most of us are, but should look at declaring total loss if the surveryors states the same.

Ramky: You have indeed being a good samaritian. Hats off to you.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 16th April 2009 at 10:59. Reason: added a comment
Old 16th April 2009, 12:17   #189
BHPian

I was following this thared silently and it's sad to know about this incident.
Any ways all of you are OK.
Ramky you are an inspiration to others.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:05   #190
Senior - BHPian

Better make it as total loss and leave the vehicle there in MASS and return to Bangalore and whatever the amount he gets buy a new vehicle (this time a sedan) ;-)
Old 16th April 2009, 14:53   #191
Senior - BHPian

ok, I'm just being a dumbo here, but would ABS have helped?
Old 16th April 2009, 15:33   #192
BHPian

Inspiring effort Arindam and Shiv. Happy that you guys came out unhurt. Hat off to Ramky for all his help. Given the personal and professional commitments, doing what he did is commendable.

I had done this stretch in Oct 08 in my Zen. I don't drive fast but the road is so damn good that even a conservative driver like me, with two kids and wife, touched 100 kmph in my Zen. On a certain longish left turn I felt the tyres losing traction and from that secocnd I drove sub 100 kmph. I can understand how the road invites you to drive fast and how it feels to lose traction on a left turn.

I am sure the families of our friends Shiv and Arindam would have been anxious through the trip and specially after knowing about the mishap. I can understand how difficult it will be for them to do similar drives in future. I have been nurturing this dream to do the GQ for quite sometime. If my wife gets to know of this thread she will not let me undertake the drive. But friends, I am gonna do it.

Phamilyman said -

Phamilyman, I am a dumbo too, but my little understanding of physics tells me that it was the centrifugal force that thew the car off the road and made it lose traction. ABS would help in straight line braking. Gurus, may correct me.

Last edited by dushmish : 16th April 2009 at 15:40.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:49   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No way Hitanshu, He hit the median at high speed. He went out of control and before he could apply brakes he was out of road (high centrifugal force). ABS helps only when you apply brakes.

This was more of a driver fault than anything else.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 16th April 2009 at 15:50.
Old 16th April 2009, 16:58   #194
Senior - BHPian

more than driver fault shouldn't it be driver error???
Old 16th April 2009, 17:31   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
more than driver fault shouldn't it be driver error???
+1 for that. It is more of an error than a fault. Are Sam and Thad reading this? One needs to drive on that section to know the difference.

Someone commented on the thread that the quality of road is poor. I would disagree with it. The quality of road is VERY good. The terrain is such that the longish turns are on undulating hilly terrain. Making it difficult to provide adequate banking on corners. The signage is absent (Ramky mentioned they have just put some a few days back). My experience says signage is absent across most of GQ. What say Ramky, Mjyothi, HVK, Khan Sultan?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks