Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 18:00   #151
Senior - BHPian

Thank God the passengers are safe !

Please remember - Cars can be rebuilt, lives cannot !!

Too sad the GQ came to an end but more importantly everyone is safe.

Waiting to hear about the whole incident from the passengers themselves.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:13   #152
Senior - BHPian

Aww crap! What a lousy thing to happen! Glad everyone is safe though. The cops are unlikely to create an issue - especially since no other vehicle/injury is involved.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:10   #153
Senior - BHPian

Just got an SMS from arindam at 7:43PM, it says:

"Police formalities done. Car loaded to truck. We will be on our way in 15min in ramky's car following the truck".

I told him to call me back once he reached Ahmedabad.

Abhi
Old 14th April 2009, 21:13   #154
BHPian

Ouch...that did not go too well but happy our members who are safe an sound. Take care guys....
Old 14th April 2009, 21:46   #155
Senior - BHPian

Hope everything is under control for these guys and come back home safe.

Guys don't you think if they had booked a truck and shifted the vehicle directly to Bangalore instead living it at Ahmedabad for Service.
Old 14th April 2009, 22:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

OMG. Good that nobody is hurt and nice to know that the police formalities is also completed w/o hassels (i assume).

Better they load the car into the truck and come back to Bangalore. The repair of car be done under their supervision. Otherwise, they need to stay back in A'bad for a longer period. We have seen this happen in Perez's case (even his car had fallen into the ditch). It took around 3 weeks for getting that repaired.

Abhi, do keep us updated on this till they themselves post it here on what happened and their future plans.
Old 14th April 2009, 23:11   #157
BHPian

Good to hear that they are all safe but sad to hear that the GQ drive has to be abandoned.
Old 14th April 2009, 23:42   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Saddened, and our sympathies...

Been silently following the GQ-II's progress - and discussing the same with my wife. Not logged in in the afternoon, and suddenly this news... My wife and I feel deeply saddened about the accident, and send our sympathies. Of course, we rejoice at the fact that there were no injuries.
Old 15th April 2009, 01:20   #159
BHPian

Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody for your wishes and overwhelming support.

And obviously special mention to Ramky, who on a office day drove for 150 km one way to come to the spot, handling all the nuances, and then taking us back to Ahmedabad, arranging room and then a dinner treat.

Ok, now it's time to give little detail about the incident.

We have done Chittaurgarh to Udaipur in very good time as updated, called Ramky that we will reach Ahmedabad around 2:00 pm. Ramky informed that it may not be possible to do it so quickly, as after Udaipur to Shamlaji, there are lots of turns as the road winds through the Aravalli.

And it was, so that considerably slowered our speed, and same time my camera battery went off, so with nothing to do, I told Shiva that I will take a power nap, and pushed my seat back one notch down.

Next thing I heard the Michelin's screeching and Shiva uttering S words in quick succession. The car unable to handle the speed at a tight corner went out of control, and goes into the ditch on the side. Thankfully the ditch had two layers, so landing was safe for the passengers.

The police came almost immediately, the police station being only 2 km away. Locals told that atleast one accident happen there everyday. There was one more vehicle already there, which fell in the morning itself.

The vehicle was taken by tow lifter and mover, and brought to Police Station.

After some time Ramky also reached there, FIR was done, a truck arranged to carry it to Ahmedabad (truck - as tow vehicle difficult to get there, Ahmedabad - cost of transport to Bangalore prohibitive).

The loading of the car to the truck was a time consuming affair and car took some further beating. Around 7:30 pm the car was loaded and we wanted to follow him till the border in case he needs any help.

We lost him twice and thus increasing waiting time near the border checkpost. Finally we reached Ahmedabad around 11:30, had dinner and checked into the room.

The car has got frontal damages, and damage on driver side door predominantly. Will be assessed tomorrow at MASS.

Signing off for the day.
Old 15th April 2009, 06:46   #160
Senior - BHPian

Hai People,

Most of the things are explained by Arindam. As he said, the curves on the border near Shamalaji are the most dangerous, many people go off the road.

Loading the car was the difficult part, we had to decide the most cost-effective way. We had to bargain for everything as these guys are out to fleece people who get stuck in this area after an accident. With some money and persuation, we could get everything done, FIR, NHAI crane for loading, truck to load, things arranged at Ahmedabad with Matuti dealer, some food and a place for them to stay. Tomorrow we'll have to see what unfolds at the Matuti dealer, I've talked to some guys at the dealership as our company is a Corporate Client for Kiran Motors, that should make things smooth.

Most important point is that they are safe. The police guys say, on the curves here people crash pretty bad and many loose their lives. Shiva's and Arindam's Guardian Angels were WIDE awake and doing OVERTIME, they did not get a scratch!!!!! That's the best part of the story. I am glad I could help.

--Ramky
========
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2009, 07:19   #161
Senior - BHPian

Ramky Sir, Nice to see your SMS last night.

TBHPians, Ramky's eldest son had a emergency appendix operation yesterday morning and he was back at 1PM and then this problem occured. He simply drove another 150km to address Arindam and Shiv (Whom I suppose he has never met personally).
I have no words to explain about him. A person true worth can be realized in the hour of crisis and this is Ramky for you.

Ramky Sir, You are truely an inspiration for us. Our society is still alive because of people like you.

Hats off to you.
Abhi
Old 15th April 2009, 08:15   #162
Senior - BHPian

@Ramky : I am speechless by the help you have offered in hour of crisis.

Try unloading the car on some slope so that any furhter damage could be avoided to car.
Take the truck to some place such that the loading bay of truck is on the height of slope surface. This way the car would come out without a single scratch. A canal's slope will be useful here.

I am feeling guilty for not being able to reach the spot. Tried convincing dad for letting me go but my short tempered nature came in between as dad thought I will reach the spot only to increase trouble and be a parasite for others.

Fortunately, at such accident prone spots, its great news that they came out without scratch.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th April 2009 at 08:22.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
TBHPians, Ramky's eldest son had a emergency appendix operation yesterday morning and he was back at 1PM and then this problem occured. He simply drove another 150km to address Arindam and Shiv (Whom I suppose he has never met personally).
I have no words.
Ramkya, man like you have permanent space in the hearts of TBHPians.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:29   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ramky Sir, Nice to see your SMS last night.

I have no words to explain about him. A person true worth can be realized in the hour of crisis and this is Ramky for you.

Ramky Sir, You are truely an inspiration for us. Our society is still alive because of people like you.

Hats off to you.
Abhi
I am following this thread from the start and it is very sad to see your GQ run end this way. On the positive side, I am sure you both would have discovered a lifelong friend in Ramky.

Ramky, Hats off to you sir.... an example of true bhpian spirit.

regards
tifosi.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:50   #165
Senior - BHPian

Just got an SMS from Arindam from Ahmedabad.

MASS told that the car is a TOTAL LOSS.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks