Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 10:52   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Has GSMInc returned to Bangalore? Any updates on the vehicle?
Yes, Shiv has returned to Bangalore yesterday morning. The vehicle has been inspected by the insurance surveyor, however it will take 5-6 days for him to give his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Am extremely sad that our own fellow members were fated to experience this. However, the silver lining lies in their safety. As someone rightly pointed out that it will take sometime for them to overcome the nightmare and start driving "normally" again. Wish both of them the best in putting the accident behind.
It is very difficult to start driving "normally" again. This is my second similar experience. I had my first one in Vaniyambadi railway overbridge in Krishngiri - Chennai Highway. And even after one year, every curve reminds me of that, and I take the vehicle to a much lower speed than required.

However, that didn't stop me taking the car out and going for a trip. Now with the second accident I really do not know - it may be too much anxiety for my parents whenever I hit the road. Is that worth for my pleasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Ramkya sir: Is this the section you are talking about ? Did the accident occured in the border area marked in a circle?
Yes that is the area, the curve is just 2 km before from Bichhiwada PS (while coming from Udaipur side) - around 145 km from Ahmedabad.

Last edited by arindamray : 17th April 2009 at 11:06.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:18   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
This is my second similar experience. I had my first one in Vaniyambadi railway overbridge in Krishngiri - Chennai Highway. And even after one year, every curve reminds me of that, and I take the vehicle to a much lower speed than required.
Yes, this bridge is one of the spot which invites many accidents. One should be very careful when taking these curves.

PS. I think its time to close this thread. People are back safely in Bangalore. And Shiv can update the status in his ownership thread, if he wishes to...
Old 17th April 2009, 11:31   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
PS. I think its time to close this thread. People are back safely in Bangalore. And Shiv can update the status in his ownership thread, if he wishes to...
I would still like to post the experiences/photos on the first 4.5 days, waiting for the negative feeling to subside.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:33   #214
Senior - BHPian

Then go ahead arindam, people are waiting
Old 17th April 2009, 11:38   #215
Senior - BHPian

Yes Arindam, Start posting the pics of the 4.5 days

Abhi
Old 17th April 2009, 11:38   #216
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
This is my second similar experience. I had my first one in Vaniyambadi railway overbridge in Krishngiri - Chennai Highway. And even after one year, every curve reminds me of that, and I take the vehicle to a much lower speed than required.
Every week one or two accidents happen there. The best part is at the curve authorities have already written number of towing service and helpline number there.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:44   #217
BHPian

Hi Arindam,

Good to know both of you are back home, safe; it's really unfortunate about the incident.

Quote:
However, that didn't stop me taking the car out and going for a trip. Now with the second accident I really do not know - it may be too much anxiety for my parents whenever I hit the road. Is that worth for my pleasure?
Frankly, just imagining what you guys went through after reading the posts yesterday made me drive extra cautiously - while returning home from office!

I am sure it's going to be painful for you to get back behind the wheel, but I guess that's the best way to get over the incident. As long as both of you have taken back some lessons (using seat belts comes to mind), it should help. In your particular case, it also helps you drive a Safari - nothing better to feel safer in.

As Ramky (3 cheers to him!) mentioned, your respective guardian angels seem to have done a good job this time; don't stress them again!

All the best!
Old 17th April 2009, 11:47   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Every week one or two accidents happen there. The best part is at the curve authorities have already written number of towing service and helpline number there.
This is ridiculous, the authorities dont believe in the old engish saying "prevention is better than cure"

IMO isntead of having numbers of towing services, they should rather have rumblers, police barricades or any other ways or means by which they should make the drivers slow down in those patches.

One question, is the banking of the road propery done in that stretch?
Old 17th April 2009, 11:51   #219
BHPian

Quote:
I would still like to post the experiences/photos on the first 4.5 days, waiting for the negative feeling to subside.
yes arindam please do that.infact as stated in my earlier post i would suggest once the car is done up ,complete the remaining 25% of the gq run.

should help get away with all the negative feelings for sure.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:59   #220
BHPian

Arindam, "all's well that end's well". In this case, by God's grace, the car took all the hit and you and Shiv came out of it, unscratched & unhurt. That's more than anything accomplished at the moment! Reading about this incident was so disturbing, that I refrained from making any posts till I knew that everything is under control.
Just imagine the trauma, anxiousness and helplessness you family went thru' during those times! Needless to say, it would take some time for you to come out of the trauma and starting driving your beast, but it would take even more time for your family to accept your going back into the driver's seat.

I would request you to take it easy for a while, let this incident settle down in your memory and let your family feel secured for some time. Till then, get a driver for your daily drive purposes. In case you want help, I can help you with a driver. (PM me if needed, I have your number from the last TBHP meet).
Ramky sir, you are a good samaritan, we are blessed to have people like you within this forum!

Do post pics of those 4.5 days on road, incase it does not disturb you reliving the incident again!

Last edited by nnandi : 17th April 2009 at 12:01.
Old 17th April 2009, 12:00   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I take back my statement. I saw some post draging this thread to point whose mistake or car handling and other accident related stuffs, so.

I understand, it is not so easy to come out of those, but we need to. Start posting ur experience and take this thread back on track

Oh, don't forget those pics, let is also flow...
Old 17th April 2009, 13:25   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Ramkya sir: Is this the section you are talking about ? Did the accident occured in the border area marked in a circle?

I am planning a trip to Ajmer from Pune & will be travelling first time in gujrat.

Image taken from Google Maps.
Yes, that's the area; the ghats start after Shymalaji, the roads start turning, after the border, they become sharper and the accident happened in Bichiwara, so immediately after you cross the Shyamalaji flyover you need to decelerate. If you are coming from Udaipur, you should watch out after you do about 130-140 kms.

You need not worry, its a good road, it's normal to do Udaipur to Ahmedabad in 3 to 3 and half hours.

@ Arindam: Pl. start posting your picures and let's see the happy side of the drive.

------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 17th April 2009 at 13:26.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:45   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggest you start a new thread. You can ask any mod to close this thread as i feel that the drive, updates, accident and the travelogue all will get mixed up in this thread. This has already run into 15 pages. The actual travelogue will start from 15th/ 16th page if at all you ant to continue in this OR modify the thread's name.

Last edited by snaronikar : 17th April 2009 at 14:48.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:45   #224
BHPian

RAMKY Sir, I salute you and look upto you for the deed that you did.

@Arindam & Shiv, Am glad that you both are fine. I know it must be a huge blow to shiv to see his car like this, but please be happy that you both safe and sound. Goes to show that your car will look after you as much as you look after her.

Drive safe brothers.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:41   #225
BHPian

Day 0 & 1 snaps

On Day 0, April 9th, the wait was unbearable, and we were itching to go. Started half an hour earlier than planned.

Shiv, with his car, fondly called as TIGER
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0159.jpg

Yours truly, with the car which will be our home for most of next 6 days
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0160.jpg

One of the tea-breaks aided the night drive
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0167.jpg

Sun-rise, our only one during GQ run, rest of the days we started late :(
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0174.jpg

Even after 700+ km run, Kolkata is yet so far
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0177.jpg

One of the many statues of Hanuman in Andhra
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0185.jpg

Isn't it worth enough for the run?
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0187.jpg

Crossing Godavari
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0189.jpg

Green Auto - is it an oxymoron?
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0192.jpg

Idli house - only item on their menu is Idli. And pretty renowned one in Vijaywada, people come in droves to savour one. We were lucky to chose the right left turn.
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0193.jpg

A glimpse of roadside scenary
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0199.jpg

Shiv, concentrating. Came to know of lots of temples in south india from him.
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0202.jpg

One of the numerous bridge still under construction on GQ
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0203.jpg

Moving hay stack!!!
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0207.jpg

Absolute pleasure to drive on
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0213.jpg

In Vizag city limit
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0216.jpg

Caught our Vizag office, another 3 days to know our fate
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0217.jpg

A new mess opened in Vizag - our stop for a leisure lunch
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0219.jpg

Vizag cricket stadium (Dhoni scored his first ODI century in this ground)
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0225.jpg

Just before entering the 4th state (OR, after KA, TN, AP) for the day: Hanuman-ji at Ichchhapuram.
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0226.jpg

Our pilot for the incomplete OR roads in night. Thanks mate.
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II)-img_0227.jpg

The day ended at Bhuvaneswar - Hotel Presidency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks