Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 11:36   #211
BHPian

lalu, the snaps are getting better and better, wow the place is awesome, now its a must trip to be done
Old 10th December 2009, 11:39   #212
BHPian

I think Glenmorgan is accessible without passes, a friend of mine has a resort over there and he has guests on a regular basis. Will check out with him and let you know soon
Old 10th December 2009, 12:54   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
I think Glenmorgan is accessible without passes, a friend of mine has a resort over there and he has guests on a regular basis. Will check out with him and let you know soon
You can drive to Glennmorgan, but the vantage view point which is atop the EB installation area will not be accessible without permission.

I also have driven this time till the EB installation and said 'hi' to the security and returned
Old 10th December 2009, 13:13   #214
Senior - BHPian

In earlier days, the best thing to do at Glenmorgan was to take the winch down to Moyar power station deep down in the valley - you have to change winches half way down - and this 1920-constructed winch is supposed to be the steepest (45 degrees) in the country. The ride was entirely "unofficial" since it was meant for the power plant workers, and you could coax the winch operators or pay a small temple "donation". Wonder if they let you go nowadays?
Old 10th December 2009, 13:18   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian20 View Post
Superb Lalu. Please continue. Did you had permission to go on the dam or one doesn't need any permission to go on top of the dam?
Aquarian, the gate was open and we just got in thinking we'll ask somebody if it's allowed or return if it was not. The place was deserted and hence we looked around and came back. Looking at the park and childrens play area, I guess once upon a time it was accessible and now no one comes.

The road I mentioned I had taken in 2006 and got out via Parson valley, did not even have one checkpost which stopped my entry then. So I guess / infer that only the EB installations are out of bounds and not the place. I have to clarify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
lalu, the snaps are getting better and better, wow the place is awesome, now its a must trip to be done
Thanks Srikanth. Just drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
In earlier days, the best thing to do at Glenmorgan was to take the winch down to Moyar power station deep down in the valley - you have to change winches half way down - and this 1920-constructed winch is supposed to be the steepest (45 degrees) in the country. The ride was entirely "unofficial" since it was meant for the power plant workers, and you could coax the winch operators or pay a small temple "donation". Wonder if they let you go nowadays?
I tried in 2006, and now also. The security guys are afraid and keep telling me if you had permission I would have let you see it. I tried some temple donation, he was afraid

Last edited by laluks : 10th December 2009 at 13:23.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:10   #216
BHPian

Actually the rope way trip is something that is a life time experience. If you have some contact with EB officials you can get it. I had the opportunity to do it once and still cherish memories of it back then it was arranged by a friends father who also accompanied us, we were just 15/16 years then.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:10   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Actually the rope way trip is something that is a life time experience. If you have some contact with EB officials you can get it. I had the opportunity to do it once and still cherish memories of it back then it was arranged by a friends father who also accompanied us, we were just 15/16 years then.

Hope you still have contacts of this friend to help me in securing a drive on the winch.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:58   #218
Senior - BHPian

Day 3, November 29th 2009 continued

Avalanche

Since we have come this far, we decided to go to Avalanche, and then turn around to Ooty. The drive is nice and there's nothing at Avalanche other than the Pump house (out of bounds) and a fish hatchery (was closed). There's a nature camp at Avalanche if you guys want to stay there.

Some pictures (taken by Senior power puff girl)

View of Avalanche lake on the way.
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6651.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6653.jpg

The way to the Pump House, not open to visitors. Its a reserved forest area
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6635.jpg

A nice stream and a wooden bridge nearby
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0091.jpg

Way to the fish hatchery
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0088.jpg

Fish hatchery (closed on that day)
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0083.jpg

We finally turned around back to Ooty by 14:10PM. Everybody was hungry. Next destination needed to be a place to eat, and we decided to have lunch at Fern Hill Palace.

continued...
Old 10th December 2009, 20:19   #219
Senior - BHPian

Dear majic,

This is for you

Swifted :  Ooty-img_0099.jpg

Swifted :  Ooty-img_0100.jpg

Swifted :  Ooty-img_0102.jpg
Old 10th December 2009, 21:37   #220
Senior - BHPian

Fernhills Palace

Fernhills Palace is built by the Maharaja of Mysore in 1842.

If you only want to visit this palace, the security won't let you in. Entry is only for the guests and for restaurant, and security screens that at the gate.

Palace Exterior
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0180.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0182.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0184.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0255.jpg

This palace is now a heritage hotel of the Wadiyar group. Suites ranging from Rs6000 to Rs14000 is available, some 3 types. Rooms are dark and looks rustic. Nice bathrooms with modern Jacuzzis, etc. To me the entire place was too rich and was suffocating.

Palace Interiors.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0187.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0188.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0195.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0200.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0208.jpg

The restaurant was fully for us. No one else, and we really enjoyed those good moments - which was quite rare to get these days. The place is expensive (Rs90 for a bottle of water kinds), but food was tasty and we were quite happy with our order and choice. Compared to many Bangalore local hotels charging similar rates, this place was worth the money spent. The staff very courteous, and made us comfortable though we just got in only for lunch.

The Restaurant
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0229.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0230.jpg

Relaxing after a good lunch
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0237.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0238.jpg

We had a very relaxed lunch break and got out of the Palace only by 16:30PM.

Red Riding Hood at the palace grounds.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0253.jpg

Red Riding Hood at the entrance of Fernhills Palace
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0261.jpg

Outside Fernhills palace
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0263.jpg

continued...

Last edited by laluks : 10th December 2009 at 21:54.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:17   #221
BHPian

please provide details regarding room tariff and your general opinion about the hotel.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:32   #222
Senior - BHPian

Guinness Park, Kuruthukuzhi

Kuruthukuzhi is a small village near Ooty, some 10Kms from Fernhill. We reached the village by 17:00PM

Cabbage fields on the way
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0267.jpg

Majic's school
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0270.jpg

The Nilgiris Guinness Park at Kuruthukuzhi is where 300 volunteers, in 2002, planted 42,184 saplings over 72 acres in 24 hours to set a new Guinness World Record for ‘planting the most number of trees in a single day’.

Guinnes park
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0274.jpg

Route to the plantation site. It was closed
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0275.jpg

Sadly the saplings are slowly growing, the locals said less cared for these days and deers eat it off too. The place was closed and could not get inside the park. The drive till here was nice and the villagers were very good to talk to. They were surprised that we came all the way from Bangalore to their village for this park.

Red Riding Hood near Kuruthukuzhi plantation site
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0276.jpg

You can see Kuruthukuzhi village below
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0278.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0277.jpg

Colourful Bucketman en route Kuruthukuzhi
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6667.jpg

After this my wife wanted to see Ketty tracks, as the kids have explained "chaiyya chaiyya" the previous day and instigated some curiosity. I was also happy since I get to research the road to Lovedale from M.Palada. We drove back to M. Palada and took left to Lovedale and got out near the bridge from where we have to take the deviation to Ketty. Finally we reached Ketty by 18:00PM.

We found this en route M. Palada. Whatever they meant by this
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6661.jpg

continued...

Last edited by laluks : 10th December 2009 at 22:33.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:52   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
please provide details regarding room tariff and your general opinion about the hotel.
Regarding Fern Hill, its a heritage hotel belonging to the Wadiyar group, with tariff ranging from 6k to 14k per night. Rooms I saw was dark and stuffy. We did not stay here, but had lunch, and we liked the food. A bit expensive, but good food.

Regarding Zest Danish Villa Sheddon where we stayed, even though it is a Club Mahindra property, I would not recommend it. Rates I guess are nearly 4.5K per night and above. Since I am a Club Mahindra member I just used my time share so I am not exactly aware of the room rates. Food here was very bad and not much choices. Further this is a very small property, parking is a pain, getting hot water is a pain, and choice of food is very very limited for the price they charge. My family got bored in just 4 hours at the resort. Ayurvedic massage here is just kidding us. It's just another resort, overpriced due to the Club Mahindra tag, and no real service nor facilities for that price. You could find better ones if you are paying in this range. I'd suggest give this hotel a miss - just not worth what you pay and get.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:54   #224
BHPian

Really 5 star rating, Woderful pictures. I have been visited more 10 times, now only i am realizing how many place i have missed. Next i won't do this mistake, I will all area from your pages. THANKS
Old 10th December 2009, 23:02   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Dear majic,

This is for you
Hi Laluks,

Since now you have started offering personalized sections of travelogue posting for your dedicated followers and this I think is an value added innovation, you are likely to get nominated for

more such requests from all your followers

my most of the bookings have been done for the year end trip
i intend to take a printout of your Swifted : Ooty and previous Coorged travelogues and follow the trail

imitation is the best tribute.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks