Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 15:57   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Come ON Shishir, you can't blackmail the guy.
have to do this "Star.." I have seen him on other threads so that HIS thread will also be avtive and alive so i thought this is the best way.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:58   #197
Senior - BHPian

Ha, lalu. just went through your travelogue after a looong break. And still you have 1.5 days to go. man, come on. Get it done sooner
Old 9th December 2009, 16:38   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Now that is a welcome note, 1.5 days and so we would have a few hundred pictures coming....keep them coming!!
Sure. Will post more pictures by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Hi Laluks, nice narration and awesome pictures, last couple of hours got glued to this log alone, just came to page 13. keep them coming!!!!
Thanks Srikanth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian20 View Post
Awesome, Beautiful, Majestic I am at loss with words to describe these pictures. Truly you have knack of taking gorgeous pictures. Please continue.
Thanks Aquarian for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
the Emerald Lake seems well disguised behind those woods - and also very true to its name.
Yes, Vey true, Murali.

Quote:
????? What is this no more posts today, ok i think work has become more of a priority now. Keep posting them when the time is right!
Majic you got me
Year end is a trying time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Lalu many of us have hooked onto this thread. SO post some more of your specials before we look for other threads
Shishir, I can post pictures only by night. Please bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Come ON Shishir, you can't blackmail the guy.
Thanks Star for the rescue.

Quote:
have to do this "Star.." I have seen him on other threads so that HIS thread will also be avtive and alive so i thought this is the best way.
Shishir, I was planning upto go for an OTR at coorg, to see our bhpians using their 4x4, 4 wheeled toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ha, lalu. just went through your travelogue after a looong break. And still you have 1.5 days to go. man, come on. Get it done sooner
Thanks mahesh.
Will post by night.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:40   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Shishir, I was planning upto go for an OTR at coorg, to see our bhpians using their 4x4, 4 wheeled toys
Good to see that is BOLD letters or else people would have thought the other way. No problem lalu you can post the snaps today night.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:29   #200
BHPian

laluks: Missing are the details of how you planned your trips. It would really add a few more stars to this thread. Please do consider putting it down as you don't seem to miss anything.
Old 10th December 2009, 00:49   #201
Senior - BHPian

Day 3, November 29th 2009 continued

We wanted to see the route we had taken in 2006 through the forest and decided to go further inside. There is a bridge and if you drive further inside you'll cross a few small villages and Tea estates and then reach a quarters of EB. Further if you go you'll reach Porthymund and Parson Valley dams and then you can reach Ooty. In 2006, the roads were bad, but since we had got in we continued this way through the night, negotiating many hairpins, deers and other small animals on the roads surprised at a vehicle coming that way, and removed twice tree trunks from the way to make passage till we found a board that said Ooty this direction We finally reached Ooty by 20:30PM that night, starting from Avalanche lake at 18:30PM.This scary experience we had in 2006 made me buy a GPS immediately, just to get a sense of direction and distance.

Just to see that path in day light we decided to drive a little further. We crossed the bridge. From the bridge you can see Emerald lake to the right and Avalanche lake to the left.

Red Riding Hood on the bridge
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0125.jpg

Avalanche lake to the Left
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0126.jpg

Emerald lake to the Right
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0127.jpg

A view from the other direction.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0119.jpg

Avalanche lake.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0120.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0123.jpg

Emerald Lake.
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0121.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0122.jpg

After a while we got into the thick vegetation, and saw the roads have become worse.

Swifted :  Ooty-img_0050.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0046.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0048.jpg

Further on we found that the roads changed to just stones and decided it was just not worth driving this way. Further we also did not have the permits for Parson valley and if we have to return this way, the roads were simply just not worth that effort. So we turned around after seeing Emerald lake from another vantage point.

Emerald Lake peeping out of the vegetation.
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6581.jpg

Emerald Lake
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6565.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0040.jpg

Views around
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0042.jpg

In 2006, we had gone a much ahead from this place during that scary drive. Some pictures from then

Swifted :  Ooty-img_0755.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0757.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0758.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0759.jpg

We reached the Emerald Dam area back by 13:10PM.

Emerald Dam Gate - Dam is out of bounds, though you can open the gate and go in. Since we had seen it from the other side, we skipped it
Swifted :  Ooty-img_0069.jpg

Direction board at the Fork. Both dams are 500m either ways.
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6610.jpg

Views around at the Fork.
Swifted :  Ooty-dscn6606.jpg

We decided to go to Avalanche Dam and take a look.

continued...

Last edited by laluks : 10th December 2009 at 00:53.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2009, 01:35   #202
Senior - BHPian

laluks, man, I'm speechless

Mesmerizing thread with fantastic photos. I can't wait to go to ooty by next summer.
Old 10th December 2009, 02:14   #203
BHPian

wow! truly amazing pics ! I hope to do a similar trip soon. It been pending for a very long time !
Old 10th December 2009, 07:36   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
laluks: Missing are the details of how you planned your trips. It would really add a few more stars to this thread. Please do consider putting it down as you don't seem to miss anything.
Optimist, normally where to go would be finalised a few months before. Then it is a flat reading about all information about the place you could gather. Internet, especially our Bhpian's travel logs would give a lot of information. All these once collected, we start a focused look into the number of days, places that are in the same direction, estimate of the time required, priority, etc. This would be done, and the missing gaps filled in by talking to people from that place. This normally helps if you are interested in going to offbeat destinations that are not very touristy / or your find kinds.

And most often, things just have happened on the ground. Just go there and make plans. This time Ooty was like that. We went for a relaxed holiday at the resort, but thanks to the resort we got bored in a day and got out to see around. Second day we just looked at the tourism boards and moved around

I really do like Lonely planet's India for their perspective. They also do gives the hotels and restaurant details around most of the places, and to me it's phone numbers to query a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
laluks, man, I'm speechless

Mesmerizing thread with fantastic photos. I can't wait to go to ooty by next summer.
Thanks anekho. More to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
wow! truly amazing pics ! I hope to do a similar trip soon. It been pending for a very long time !
Thanks vdiatech. My intention is to instigate you guys to go around!!

Last edited by laluks : 10th December 2009 at 07:40.
Old 10th December 2009, 08:37   #205
Senior - BHPian

Day 3, November 29th 2009 continued

Avalanche Dam (Canada Dam).

We reached Canada Dam, and found that the gates were open. So we went inside for a look. It is deserted - childrens playground with broken things, garden left to grow on it way.

The Canada Dam
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0172.jpg

Water flowing out. Note the Pipe, it goes all the way to Avalanche Pumphouse
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0137.jpg

Running Race ?
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0132.jpg

Nah, they were escaping from the Bees
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0134.jpg

Views of Avalanche Lake from the Dam
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0131.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0147.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0148.jpg
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0149.jpg

View on the other side
Swifted :  Ooty-dsc_0139.jpg

We decided to drive till Avalanche and turn back for the day. They will not allow us to the pump house, but just a drive to the place named Avalanche.

Further is Upper Bhavani etc. which we skipped, any way it was far, at least another 35Km, and we were told it is out of bounds.

continued...
Old 10th December 2009, 09:25   #206
BHPian

Wow, wonderful pictures, your skill is improving and its getting better and better each time, please continue!
Old 10th December 2009, 09:32   #207
Senior - BHPian

Lalu, the new camera reflects your creativity very well!
Surprised that there were no traffic jams in the Bandipur-Mudumalai stretch now that the road is closed at night. I suppose the night drive restrictions are still in place.
Any way one can get permissions to drive from Avalanche to Upper Bhavani - that is a lovely route - now that you say the roads are closed to the public?
Old 10th December 2009, 09:43   #208
Senior - BHPian

man what shall i say!!!!!!!!!! no words at all....superb man..You are just trying to make us envy you for the snaps and places you visit.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:36   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, wonderful pictures, your skill is improving and its getting better and better each time, please continue!
Thanks majic

Quote:
man what shall i say!!!!!!!!!! no words at all....superb man..You are just trying to make us envy you for the snaps and places you visit.
Thanks Shishir

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lalu, the new camera reflects your creativity very well!
Surprised that there were no traffic jams in the Bandipur-Mudumalai stretch now that the road is closed at night. I suppose the night drive restrictions are still in place.
Any way one can get permissions to drive from Avalanche to Upper Bhavani - that is a lovely route - now that you say the roads are closed to the public?
Thanks HVK.

The night restriction is still in place. I was also surprised on that day, why there were no traffic. I was also a bit bothered - I was remembering your statement at Malling Nalla - if there is no oncoming traffic there's something wrong. But it just turned out that nobody travelled that day other than me

The local resident of Avalanche told me many areas are out of bounds further. Could be that he mentioned about the critical installations alone. But that generic statement put my family off :(, since we already had a scary drive in 2006 through the forest. Moreover they said road conditions might be bad. Hence I turned around after visiting Avalanche. But from what I saw till there, the roads were in good conditions.

You still can go there with Permissions. So is the case with Glennmorgan and Parsons valley.

Last edited by laluks : 10th December 2009 at 10:41.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:23   #210
BHPian

Superb Lalu. Please continue. Did you had permission to go on the dam or one doesn't need any permission to go on top of the dam?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks