Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 19:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
If you believe MRF/Apollo tyres are not great, you don't know a thing about Tyres, or driving for that matter. Check out how many trucks in India run on Bridgestones - India moves on the likes of Apollo and JK and these companies are at least as good as the best in the world.
Please state the sources of your beliefs ...

I run a rubber component manufacturing plant... so I know a lot more about rubber technology than the average consumer.

I know MRFs/JK's are not great. I have used both.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th October 2009 at 20:00.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you believe MRF/Apollo tyres are not great, you don't know a thing about Tyres, or driving for that matter. Check out how many trucks in India run on Bridgestones - India moves on the likes of Apollo and JK and these companies are at least as good as the best in the world.
This should be on the official joke thread.
The only reason trucks dnt run bridgestone michellin etc. is because they are expensive.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2009, 22:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

MRF's are not great but Apollo specially the Acelere impressed me a lot. Its comparable to the new Michelin XM1+.

My take on Apollo vs XM1 (not the +)

Life - Apollo
Grip on dry Surface - Equal
Grip on wet surface - XM1
Noise - XM1 (Marginal Difference)

Heard the new XM1+ has better life. Even though Michelin wins in most aspects, the difference between them is 19-20. Both are very good tires and would buy them with my eyes closed anyday.
abhibh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2009, 22:40   #19
BHPian

Wow, thread coming alive after four and half years.

So how are Apollo Acelere then? Anybody has had any experience with them?
Old 5th October 2009, 22:48   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post

I have. Running 175/70 R13's on my i10. Tires are the most silent I've ever used(Earlier I've been using MRF ZVTS tube type on my santro with frankly just suck!).

Grip-good

noise-very less

life-yet to check but have heard they do run quite a bit

hickup- I blew one tire when my dad accidently crashed with what was left of a divider after it had had an accident earlier(damn you chandigarh administration for not repairing the divider on time!). The sidewall got a big cut. Warranty wasn't entertained. Show room guy gave me crap that if it had been jk, he'd have given me a replacement there and then. Then he tried to preach to me that he'd already told me that appolo tires have soft sidewalls. Enough ranting.

Overall- tire's are definitely VFM!

P.S. Do appolo tires really have softer sidewalls? If we compare them to the likes of say YOKO A drives or Micheline XM1+?
Old 5th October 2009, 22:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post

Very good first hand experience with them. Check out my comparison above between XM1 and Apollo

Shresth i think even if u were running hard compounded CEAT which are in my car the sidewall would have given away. Check your running board bro. that explains a lot about accident.
Old 6th October 2009, 01:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, believe it or not, tyres are a commodity-technology. Also, below a (very high )level of competency, you can't survive as a tyre manufacturer. It is *impossible* for Bridgestone or Michelin to prove themselves better than corresponding Apollo or MRF. No offenses but *we* Indians *belive* that Made in India/Indian companies are not good. Agreed the Hondas and Toyotas are better than Tata Motors and Mahindras *as of now* but there are legendary Indian companies that make great products. If you believe MRF/Apollo tyres are not great, you don't know a thing about Tyres, or driving for that matter. Check out how many trucks in India run on Bridgestones - India moves on the likes of Apollo and JK and these companies are at least as good as the best in the world.
Its interesting to read that you quote some really wild stuff as *fact* when the evidence points to the contrary.

Do you know that the first radial sold by MRF (MRF Zigma with the Z pattern) was actually an old copyrighted design by the German company Fulda which they bought rights to? Or that JK had developed its own range of tyres with technical help from Continental Germany? So much for the so-called *Innovation*. I also wonder why since then they've not had a single good product or new design worthy of mention (barring Apollo of course).

And as for your point on truck tyres, they survive only because while the world has moved on to radial tyres for Trucks/Buses we're still stuck in the historic Cross Ply era. The radials sold in India by Michelin for trucks etc is made difficult because of the duties imposed on such tyres by the Govt due to the tyre industry lobby fearing erosion of its main cash cow. And the numbers as of now do not allow the foreign players to setup plants here to lower the cost of their products.

And if we assume that your jibe about us knowing nothing about tyres or driving for that matter as a fact then can you please explain how our Indian companies have *NEVER* made a mark on any developed market abroad? And mind you, Korean companies like Kumho and Hankook are making great progress in developed markets so please don't give us that usual crap.

P.S. If you are indeed involved with one of the above mentioned companies, it would be a good idea to make a commercial declaration about the same right now.

Last edited by iraghava : 6th October 2009 at 01:29.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:28   #23
BHPian

@ iraghava: Can we have your views on Apollo Acelere (195/60 R14) ? Or a link if you have already done it elsewhere. I want to evaluate these for my next tyre change; which will be in next 2-3 months.
Old 6th October 2009, 13:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have the Acelere on my Spark, I do not find any problem

I am no tire expert
Old 6th October 2009, 13:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Bouncer ---- The Accelere is a very very good tyre. Decent grip, good comfort and minimal noise. And when you consider it's price, it's a winner!
Old 6th October 2009, 14:16   #26
BHPian

Have been using Accelare Sportz 185/60 R 14 on my Indica & Accelare 175/65 R13 on the santro for a year now.

Considering the 35K Kms (indica) & 20K Kms (Santro) driven on these tyres, I would say the following

Low noise (compared to previous Goodyear's)
Good Grip (Dry, better than GY and equal to michelin XM1 which is there in my friend's car)
Good Grip (Wet, Better than GY)
Good Mileage (better than GY)
Good Price (VFM considering all of the above)

I would recommend Accelare or Accelare Sportz over Bridgestone & Goodyear but equal to XM1 or Yokos.

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 6th October 2009 at 14:18.
Old 6th October 2009, 14:55   #27
BHPian

I have them on my Spark. And I changed my 45K Kms tyres on Santro with Accelre. It costed my 2200Rs per tyre in Pune

-- Rgds
Vikrant
Old 6th October 2009, 15:15   #28
BANNED

Guys,

Apollo tyres are as good as/same as Michelin.

Does any one know that Apollo using Michelin technology. They are JV's.

Last edited by wildon : 6th October 2009 at 15:16.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

i think that was discussed earlier. the JV was for bus/truck or commercial tyres. nothing related to the passenger car ones

EDIT:@wildon: You're right - from the report
Quote:
Michelin will also provide technical assistance to Apollo for manufacturing of passenger car radial tyres. This would enhance
your Company's capability to provide world-class products to its customers.

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th October 2009 at 15:40.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:33   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i think that was discussed earlier. the JV was for bus/truck or commercial tyres. nothing related to the passenger car ones
ok JV part is right as you said, but technology they are using is of Michellin.

http://www.apollotyres.com/downloads...-2003-2004.pdf (Page 19 on the brochure / Page 10 on pdf )

Gujarat - produces passenger car tyres

Also read on Page 30 on that pdf

Quote:
Michelin will also provide technical assistance to Apollo for manufacturing of passenger car radial tyres. This would enhance
your Company's capability to provide world-class products to its customers.

Last edited by wildon : 6th October 2009 at 15:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks