Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 07:49   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I run 185/60R13 on my indica stock rims. This is the max those rims can take. 195 is overstretching it
Brother only because of your review i went for 185/60 R 13.. Thanks a lot it helped me a lot in selecting new shoes for my indica.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:55   #62
BHPian

I did change the tyres on my Indica yesterday, but instead of Acelere went for Michelin XM1+. Also did not upsize to 185, instead kept them 165/65. Those seem pretty grippy to me from my long drive yesterday.
Cost: Rs2,800 per tyre
Old 13th October 2009, 23:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Bought a pair of apollo acelere 185/65/R14 for baleno costing 2950 each since i didn't get 'C drives'. initial impression is good. hope it stays without developing bulges.
Old 19th October 2009, 13:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I did change the tyres on my Indica yesterday, but instead of Acelere went for Michelin XM1+. Also did not upsize to 185, instead kept them 165/65. Those seem pretty grippy to me from my long drive yesterday.
Cost: Rs2,800 per tyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Bought a pair of apollo acelere 185/65/R14 for baleno costing 2950 each since i didn't get 'C drives'. initial impression is good. hope it stays without developing bulges.
Bought 185/60 R14 Accelare's for my Indica for 2600 per tyre last week.

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 19th October 2009 at 13:13.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:53   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Its interesting to read that you quote some really wild stuff as *fact* when the evidence points to the contrary.

P.S. If you are indeed involved with one of the above mentioned companies, it would be a good idea to make a commercial declaration about the same right now.
Not involved with any tire company even remotely but have used all tires. My car came on Michelins which are good, but is there a thing called bad tires for city driving? Tires are a commodity product where differentiating factors are negligible in non-racing applications. I've run my cars on tires ranging from MRF/JK/Goodyear to XM1 and in regular (city/highway speed limits and wet surface), there is no distinguishing factor.

Extending on your point, having or not having radials on trucks is a decision of truck makers and truck owners, not of tire makers. If the (current) economics mean that people will not buy radials, why will local companies make them?

As you can see, I'm claiming all tires to be more or less equally equipped to do regular work. It's also very hard to give comparative opinion on tires. You'll practically need to drive the same car in quick succession of tire changes and you'll need to perform standard skid, roll tests to find out which tire is better than the other. Do you believe "we" the non-testers can even comment on which tire is better? Seeing that tires in essence don't differ is straightforward though. It's easy to see how an engine is different from another (even there people get wrong bigtime), but how do you differentiate tires without changing them on the same (or same built) car in quick succession and doing the above mentioned tests that I talked about?

Regarding your point of MRF getting licensed technology - that's true of course. But Indian companies have resorted often to getting licenses for technologies that they use. In case you are not aware, even Apollo learnt from Michelin how to make a tire like Acelere. That's a tech-transfer, not copycat products.

So far as tire making goes, Indian manufactures are good enough and evolving. Continental, Michelin, Goodyear are great companies but not the likes of Bridgestone whose roots are not in innovation, even though they make smashingly good products (now), it must be acknowledged.

Having said that, how many posts have we seen here on the Eagle or EagleF1 which are great tires for mid-end to high-end applications???

Let's check the facts: We run on road, not on track. We stay close to speed limits and we don't abuse our car. And any tire is as good as any other. Our carmakers are yet to come of age, and they will. But our tiremakers are good and racing.
kalidas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 10:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Used the apollo acelere for few hundred kilometers and find it worth the money. they have better grip than yokohama c drives and are softer, so lesser road noise on cement roads. i expect them to last 25-30k kms or till next mumbai monsoon
Old 30th October 2009, 10:48   #67

Tyre Upgrade-OE Apollo Accelere (coming cheap) Vs. Michelin XM 1+

Hi All,

I am a new member. Been scouting threads on Team BHP for a while now. Look forward to all your advise and feedback. I am hoping this topic is not repetitive having searched sufficiently through this forum so far.

The situation is this..bought a used Petra. Need to upgrade tyres right away. Decided on 185/65/R14. I had first decided to go for michelin XM1+ but was thrown out of balance by a juicy offer from a known tyre shop owner.

He has OE Apollo Accelere (which came off a brand new Hyundai I-20, driven from straight from showroom to his shop), which he is ready to offer very cheap (bout 2.2k per tyre), while my original choice, Michelin XM 1+ is about 3500K per tyre. Needless to mention Michelin is better, but how good or bad are Apollo Acceleres ? How do they compare with Michelins & Bridgestones? Is it worth fitting those tyres if they came so cheap, or still a better idea to just spend more (read 1.3K extra per tyre) and go for Michelin XM 1+.

I understand, this is a wierd situation, but Im sure its a breeze for you guys to give the right advise. Hope to hear asap. Need to change today itself.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Check this thread out.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-how-they.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-ones-now.html

Apollo are good but Michelin might be a bit better. Apollo are more compared to Michelin.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:01   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

The Aceleres are good. Frankly, I wouldnt recommedn the Michelin in this case as you are getting a killer deal on the Aceleres.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

What is the price of the accelere tyres if bought new from a tyre shop?
Old 30th October 2009, 20:53   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

For 185/65 R14, it is around 3k. Maybe even 2900.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Then I would not say Rs 2200 per tyre is very cheap. I would consider them only if they come at least Rs 1000 cheaper than a new tyre. Also, I remember reading in some Chevy Spark thread that Apollo Accelere tyres cause pulling /drifting in some cars.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th October 2009 at 21:44.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:53   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Then I would not say Rs 2200 per tyre is very cheap. I would consider them only if they come at least Rs 1000 cheaper than a new tyre. Also, I remember reading in some Chevy Spark thread that Apollo Accelere tyres cause pulling /drifting in some cars.
Well, he's getting a brand new tyre that has done about 40-50 kms for 800/- less.....

And Acelere causing pulling problem? Doesnt seem likely. Can you post a link?
Old 30th October 2009, 21:56   #74

Guys,Thanks for all your inputs. Took the plunge. Fitted the Acceleres. Came at 2.2K per tyre + some service charges, because the tyres were being given away for very cheap. Brand new ones retail at 2.9K per tyre. The shop guy said, these tyres, though not as good as Michelin are somewhere comparable to it. And they are apparently better than Bridgestones, Good Years and Yokos in this size. Hmm, car feels great so far, will have to see how it performs, keepin my fingers crossed.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:06   #75
BHPian

Michelin would cost roughly Rs: 14K for a set of 4,

Apollo Accelere's would cost Rs: 8.8K for a set of 4

Depending upon your usage take your pick,
BTW the Apollo's are good all around tyres and at that price they are quite tempting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks