Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 13:58   #151
BHPian

Re: Are Apollo Acelere the new favorite OEM tyres?

Hi,

My Ford Figo that I bought a month back came originally with a JK. Since I had heard horror stories about MRF and JK I had told the dealer while booking the car that I need Apollo Acceleres no matter what. The dealer obliged and switched the JK's with Acceleres. I am completely and thoroughly satisfied with the grip in wet and dry. I drive really hard and the Acceleres never broke a sweat. I guess there is no need to upgrade the Figo tyres if you have acceleres on. The tread design is very good to look at too unlike the MRF's which spoils the car's looks. Someone said that Apollo has technical collaboration with Michelin. Hope this is the outcome of that relation.

For a domestic tyre brand, its doing very well.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:12   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Hi,

Since I had heard horror stories about MRF and JK I had told the dealer while booking the car that I need Apollo Acceleres no matter what.
+1 Even I told the same to Chevy sales guy when I booked my Spark. They are decent tyres, completed 26K KMs with it and still going strong.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:19   #153
BHPian

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Hi,

My Esteem needs new tires. Apollo seems a good alternative to Michelin and Bridgestone. I usually drive in city with 1-2 highway drives in a month, hence see no reason in spending extra on BS or Michelin, even if they are slightly better. Purpose is decent grip levels and lesser noise.

My Vxi came with 175/70 R13. Would 185/65 R13 be a recommended upgrade or should I stick to the OE size? Below is the chart available for ACELERE and AMAZER 3G in the 13" rim size.

Data from Apollo website: http://www.apollotyres.com/india_products_passenger.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Acelere - How are they?-apollo.jpg  

Last edited by mashmash : 28th April 2011 at 14:20. Reason: Adding Source
Old 28th April 2011, 15:27   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My Beat too is wearing Aceleres. I am fully satisfied with it's grip, ride, etc.

Cheers!

Vinu
+1 My Beat too is wearing Aceleres and has completed 10400 km. They hold up good compared to MRFs & JKs. I also remember the sales guy (Chevy showroom) telling me that if driven sanely it would last 35K to 40K km...not too sure about it though.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:29   #155
BHPian

AFAIK, all polo's and vento's come with accelere's as stock ...
BUT
when i got my polo delivered from a fairly new dealership in Delhi, it had JK's as stock, i immediately asked the dealer as i was very sure, they came with apollo's, and of the 4 cars in the showroom, 2 had JK's and 2 others with Apollo's.

His reply, was the manufacturer chooses the best set of tyres and off late the polo's have been getting the JK's ... he also made me speak with the manager, and his reply was the same ... so i was ok with it ...

but now reading about the apollo's being better from ya'll, its making me think twice, if i did the right thing rather than insisting on the apollo's ...
Old 28th April 2011, 15:39   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Hi,

My Esteem needs new tires. Apollo seems a good alternative to Michelin and Bridgestone. I usually drive in city with 1-2 highway drives in a month, hence see no reason in spending extra on BS or Michelin, even if they are slightly better. Purpose is decent grip levels and lesser noise.

My Vxi came with 175/70 R13. Would 185/65 R13 be a recommended upgrade or should I stick to the OE size? Below is the chart available for ACELERE and AMAZER 3G in the 13" rim size.

Data from Apollo website: Apollo - India - Products - Retreading
mashmash - based my experience, you can't go wrong with Apollo Aceleres. They are jack of all trades and offer decent grip, low noise, long life and very reasonable price. For esteem, I think the OE size is decent. You can see if there is an esteem specific tyre upgrade thread for more options. What is the rim size on Esteem? I recommend to ugrade only if the rim is wider than 5" or if you are looking changing the rims as well (alloys?). It will reduce the FE a little bit though.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 28th April 2011 at 15:44. Reason: spelling
Old 28th April 2011, 15:52   #157
BHPian

One of my friend is using Accelere 185/60/13 on his Indica, they provide great handling & braking (that I have experienced) and they look good or at least better than other India made tires like JKs or MRF...
Old 28th April 2011, 15:54   #158
BHPian

I just bumped into this thread and recalled a news article read on Economics Times sometime back. It was regarding the drop in international prices of rubber, they somehow linked it to the Japan earthquake. Anyways, fortunately I managed to search that article today and here is the link and excerpt from it,

ET: Tyre firms stokup the rubber on price dip.

Quote:
"Prices have to be steady before companies start buying large quantities to ramp up their inventory," - Apollo Tyre Head, Kerala
The following lines make me think in a different direction,

Quote:
Car tyre companies are stocking up on rubber as prices slid for the third day after the Japan earthquake to hit a five-month low on Tuesday.
Does these companies clearing up their sock they acquired during low price regime by offering it at current (assuming the rate has increased!) rubber rates?

It was just the food for a thought, I'm sure many cars fashioned Apollo Acceleres much before the Japan hit with the disaster.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:26   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
mashmash - based my experience, you can't go wrong with Apollo Aceleres. They are jack of all trades and offer decent grip, low noise, long life and very reasonable price. For esteem, I think the OE size is decent. You can see if there is an esteem specific tyre upgrade thread for more options. What is the rim size on Esteem? I recommend to ugrade only if the rim is wider than 5" or if you are looking changing the rims as well (alloys?). It will reduce the FE a little bit though.
Yes these are the points that pull me towards Apollo. Below is a Profile comparo from a link I found on one of the other threads. I am a novice at reading this comparison. The only difference I understand is that the odo will show me .8kmph less.

Does it make sense to upgrade? I have gone through the few Esteem related threads and there are suggestions for the 185/60 R13 along with sticking to the OE size. No full hearted suggestions to upsize. This is what is confusing me.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Acelere - How are they?-tire-size.jpg  

Last edited by mashmash : 28th April 2011 at 17:28.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:51   #160
BHPian

They came on my father in laws POLO as I standard fitment. Gotta say i love both the car and the tires.

I have driven them on both highway and city runs and they seem to be pretty good. The cornering grip is excellent due to extra rubber on the tyre walls. Straight line stability is good as well. I drove the car at 120 Kph and it held on to its line.

I'm now planning get rid of JK's on my Ritz and fit aceleres on it.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:21   #161
BHPian

Apollo Acceleres costs almost same as XM1+. Therefore i believe it is better to go for Michelin main reason being the non existent road noise.

If anybody has used both Acceleres & XM1+ pls share the experience.

In an earlier post there was a mention about MRF being innovative than Bridgestone. We can all believe that because I heard that MRF is the official tyre supplier for F1 from the year 2051. (Pls move this to official jokes thread) I would really like to know what people smoke while posting in TBHP.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:12   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Yes these are the points that pull me towards Apollo. Below is a Profile comparo from a link I found on one of the other threads. I am a novice at reading this comparison. The only difference I understand is that the odo will show me .8kmph less.
The difference in profile is minimal so no problem there. A difference of upto 2% is accepted to be ok. You can go in for this upsize if you want slightly better handling and high speed stability.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:02   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Apollo Acceleres costs almost same as XM1+. Therefore i believe it is better to go for Michelin main reason being the non existent road noise.
Yes, the cost is almost the same. However, I have been hearing stories of side wall damage in Michelin tires. Agree, XM1+ are amazing tires with better grip and noise levels, I doubt their longevity compared to Apollo.

However, thanks for the tip, will surely keep it in mind when I am shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
The difference in profile is minimal so no problem there. A difference of upto 2% is accepted to be ok. You can go in for this upsize if you want slightly better handling and high speed stability.
Great. Such a one line answer with reason, is what I was looking for.

I guess this more or less finalizes the decision. Alloys - NO. Will stick to OE rims.

MaSh
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:15   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal21fb View Post
They came on my father in laws POLO as I standard fitment. Gotta say i love both the car and the tires.

I have driven them on both highway and city runs and they seem to be pretty good. The cornering grip is excellent due to extra rubber on the tyre walls. Straight line stability is good as well. I drove the car at 120 Kph and it held on to its line.

I'm now planning get rid of JK's on my Ritz and fit aceleres on it.
I drive a Vento with Accelers on it..I don't like them at all. My in-laws Santro with Bridgestones has lesser road noise than this
The cornering grip is good..overall I think cars with Bridgestones or Michelins brake much better.
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:23   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a huge fan of the Acelere tyres but please dont mistake them to be hard, durable tyres. They are silent, grippy and comfortable but they are also soft. In my opinion, the XM1+ is as durable as the Acelere. Actually, a better way to put that is to say the Acelere is as soft and prone to damage as an XM1+.

Please do buy the Aceleres, but buy it for the right reasons! Dont expect it to take all the abuse of Indian roads without complaint!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks