Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 17:38   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Can someone comment on the high speed, wet grip of the Accelere's?

I found it lacking.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:47   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Can someone comment on the high speed, wet grip of the Accelere's?

I found it lacking.
I spoke to quite a few people after this experience with Acelere.I had stated this on a different thread too.Acelere is considered a good one for wet conditions.It wont do well in hot and humid conditions.
The road grip was good even though the road noise was a little on the higher side.
Old 15th February 2011, 09:51   #138
BHPian

This weekend, I changed the tires on our Manza to Apollo Acelere 195/60R15. OE tires were Bridgestone B250 185/60R15 and were 1 year and 25k km old. New tires are mounted on the OE Manza Alloys from tata (5.5Jx15). Have driven for about 350km after the tire change. A couple of observations :

1. Steering feel has improved a lot, it's slightly heavy now and earlier high speed vagueness (very little) is gone.
2. Car feels more stable and planted now, body roll has reduced a bit as well. Ride quality has improved even further, thanks to the 6mm more sidewall. Also, I think due to better tires, unsteer will reduce a bit. Not yet checked on this.
3. Wider tires go very well with exterior dimensions of the car. While theoretically 195 are 10 mm more than 185, but in fact they are 15 mm more. Section width on 185 tires is 185 while on 195 it's 200. Please see this link http://www.apollotyres.com/downloads...ar_acelere.pdf. Though overall circumference is larger only by 2%, they fill the wheel arches better as well.
4. Speedo/ ODO got corrected by earlier error of 2%. Those who travel on NH1 will know that distance between Delhi ISBT to Ambala Cantt bus stand is exactly 201km. On my earlier tires ODO used to show 205 km for this 201km distance. That's corrected now.
5. FE does not seem to have come down. Except for may be 2-3% which in a way is due to correct ODO readings now.

Those planning to change tires on Manza (QJD), I would highly recommend to go for 195/60R15 than going for stock size. On petrol this may affect FE. I am not yet aware that this will affect the warranty or not. It may not as I am continuing the OE alloy rims and tires are very slightly upsized. Tata folks may not even notice this.

Now the cost part. I got the new tires @4.2k (195/60R15) per piece and sold the 25k km used one's @1.7k (185/60R15) per piece. Had to pay exact 10k for 4 tires. Also changed to steel wheel nuts, OE one's were iron and very small in size. Had to get a new wheel spanner as well. Additional 600 for this. Tire change, alignment and balancing was done free. Any comments on the prices? I was also getting Michelin Primacy LC @5.2k per piece, but did not want to spend that much.

We have been using Acelere on our santros (3 sets so far) and are more than happy with these. Low noise, decent grip, long life and reasonable price. Santro size is 155/70R13, but I think they should perform the same in large size as well. Any comments?
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 14:03   #139
BHPian

Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Over the past few weeks, I have been observing that a lot many new cars come shod with Apollo Acelere tyres as standard fitment. I bought a Linea a couple of months back, and it came with Apollo Acelere's. Likewise, a colleague of mine at work bought a Vento and that too came with Acelere's.

My question is, has Apollo Acelere become the new favorite amongst car manufacturers? Are they cheaper compared to their counterparts at Bridgestone or Yokohama or JK?

I am pretty satisfied with the workings of the Acelere's. I have done around 3700 kms on them and they seem to work just fine.
Old 27th April 2011, 14:47   #140
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are Apollo Acelere the new favorite OEM tyres?

They must have tied up with the manufacturers. From what I know the i20's also come with the Acelere's.

Quote:
My question is, has Apollo Acelere become the new favorite amongst car manufacturers? Are they cheaper compared to their counterparts at Bridgestone or Yokohama or JK?
I can bet my bottom dollar on the acelere's when it comes to performance. Any-day better than the S322's or JK's which come as stock tires on new cars.Completely VFM tires though.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 27th April 2011 at 14:48.
Old 27th April 2011, 14:52   #141
BHPian

They are also stock on the Fabia and seem to be pretty decent so far. I do think there would be a connection with pricing else they wouldnt be so popular!
Old 27th April 2011, 15:32   #142
Senior - BHPian

It's strange, just a couple of days back I was having this conversation with a colleague. Apollo seems to have done well for itself by tying up with several manufacturers as the OE supplier for many vehicle models across segments. My i20 Asta came with them, and they have performed very ably. I've seen Ford Figos with them too, and I also think the Vento is shod with them in stock guise. I think they are the perfect jack-of-all-trades tyres; decent grip, great comfort levels and not too soft / hard a sidewall.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:20   #143
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From the many reviews on the forum (starting with TSK1979's), and some new cars I've tested, I have to admit that Apollo Acelere's are surprisingly good tyres for a domestic. I've never been a fan of MRF's or JK's quality, though they are definitely very long lasting. Yet, I didn't find either of them satisfying my expectations in grip and / or controlling road noise. The Aceleres, on the other hand, work excellent as OEM fitment tyres. As FlyingSpur said, not too hard nor too noisy.

I might add that they beat the lousy, cheap Bridgestone S322s hollow.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2011 at 17:22.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing what cars you would have observed would have been either Hyundai, Mahindra and Ford.
But its not just Apollo thats leading, actually all the cars manufacturers are now opted for multi vendor mode instead of single vendor mode, since the tubeless tyres became a standard and that Acelere provides lots of VFM they have also come into Foray.

Earlier it used to be MRF only for few models of Maruti and Ford.
But post major strikes in MRF factory during last year all the manufacturers realized ther mistake of going with single vendor model. Then most of them switched to multi vendor mode and Apollo made a good harvest of people looking out for other options.

Additionally Apollo's new manufacturing facility in Chennai is going full steam (i guess). This is located near the Hyundai facility (enabling JIT too).
Also its a single road connecting to Ford. Thus they both have also started putting them in thier list.

Last edited by xingamazon : 27th April 2011 at 18:26.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:33   #145
BHPian

Even my Ford Figo bought earlier this month has Apollo Acelere's. I found them better than JKs that I got on Santro in terms of noise and handling. I had plans to go for upgrade immediately after car delivery but deferred that since I found Apollo Acelere's on it during PDI and a friend recommended to keep these since they are good enough for usual city travel and are better than other OEM tyres like JK. Seems the friend was right.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:34   #146

They came stock on my I20 Magna and I have completed close to 20,000 kms on it. The tyres have performed well in all conditions, the road noise transmission is lower, good grip. Also they might offering a good price as a OE supplier to the manufacturers
Old 27th April 2011, 18:40   #147
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, Apollo doesn't have stand-alone factury outlets like MRF and Bridgestone (or they have very very few), right?

Guess they could work on their secondary market module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am guessing what cars you would have observed would have been either Hyundai, Mahindra and Ford.
But its not just Apollo thats leading, actually all the cars manufacturers are now opted for multi vendor mode instead of single vendor mode, since the tubeless tyres became a standard and that Acelere provides lots of VFM they have also come into Foray.
Exactly.

I have seen many cars until a few years ago where cars registered between a space of 2 months had diff. set of tyres. Maybe for logistics, they had diff. vendors.
Old 27th April 2011, 21:15   #148
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My Octavia has been running on Apollo Acelere tyres for the past 6 months. They are surprisingly good. Have taken them through rough as well as good roads and they have held up well so far! No punctures,bulges,etc so far.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:26   #149
BHPian

The new puntos also come with acceleres. Have heard good reviews about them. better than the JKs and MRFs anyday. Good move by the car makers
Old 28th April 2011, 12:44   #150
Senior - BHPian

My Beat too is wearing Aceleres. I am fully satisfied with it's grip, ride, etc.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks