Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2022, 21:46   #151
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
friends, kindly provide suggestions :

2015 Fortuner 3.0L, current ODO 131 K KM.
- OE Dunlop lasted about 75K KM
- current Pirelli Scorpion ATR done about 56K, but the tyres have become very hard and ride quality has turned bad, though there is decent depth seen. Maybe because very less usage during 2 yrs of pandemic.

Looking for changing the rubber; main usage within city and highways runs, sometimes mild off-roading.

regards,
Hi Pranav,
Would blindly recommend the Yokohama Geolandars G015. Have clocked 10K kms on my 2010 fortuner and I'm all smiles.
Old 9th September 2022, 19:26   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykar View Post
I was contemplating going 275s since they seems like 1.6% difference.
Any chance you took photos of how much it rubbed the arch?
I have been running 275/65/17 and it works fine. But then I have a OME 2" lift.
The only downside is the additional body roll.

The body roll was much lower with 265/65/17 Michelin Latitude Cross on the 2" lift.
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0568.jpg
cooldip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 18:28   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
Hi Pranav,
Would blindly recommend the Yokohama Geolandars G015. Have clocked 10K kms on my 2010 fortuner and I'm all smiles.
Just an hour back today purchased and installed Yokohama from a nearby acquainted store. Tyres were "made in Thailand", manufactured in "122022" (12th week of 2022, i.e. say end-March-2022). New valves were installed, rims were washed.
With the new tyres I drove for about 2 KM to another store for alignment + balancing, I always prefer this store. Inflated air to proper pressure (I prefer 30 psi in all). Weights were added per need, however on checking found that alignment was proper (done just 2 months back, and not much running of car). Drove another 1 KM to home.
Definitely where is a big difference in handling, and car is much more stable.

ODO : ~1.32 Lac KM

Pics :

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20221021_173330.jpg

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20221021_173338.jpg

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20221021_173410.jpg

Tomorrow morning I will go for a long trip, will check the handling.
regards,

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2022 at 18:03. Reason: As requested
pcpranav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 23:14   #154
Senior - BHPian

I will soon be taking delivery of a new Fortuner 4x4 MT. As it comes with the HT tyres (Bridgestone Dueler), I was contemplating switching to a good AT tyres at the stock size 265/60 R18 right from out of showroom to get best value for the OEM tyres. Any recommendations? I am looking for a comfortable and lesser noise AT, and can't seem to decide. Please help.
Old 31st January 2023, 00:15   #155
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I will soon be taking delivery of a new Fortuner 4x4 MT. As it comes with the HT tyres (Bridgestone Dueler), I was contemplating switching to a good AT tyres at the stock size 265/60 R18 right from out of showroom to get best value for the OEM tyres. Any recommendations? I am looking for a comfortable and lesser noise AT, and can't seem to decide. Please help.
Michelin LTX Trail is a good option. It's comfortable and the noise is less as well.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 04:35   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I am looking for a comfortable and lesser noise AT, and can't seem to decide. Please help.
Hello sir,

First of all a hearty congratulations on the new purchase, a fellow bhpian had a bad experience with Michelin Ltx Trail on his 4x2 Fortuner.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5294080 (Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

I would suggest you go for LTX force instead of LTX trail, also please have a look at BF Goodrich AT.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-fortuner.html (Review: BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tyre upgrade for my Toyota Fortuner)
NA-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:31   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-driver View Post
Hello sir,

First of all a hearty congratulations on the new purchase, a fellow bhpian had a bad experience with Michelin Ltx Trail on his 4x2 Fortuner.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5294080 (Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

I would suggest you go for LTX force instead of LTX trail, also please have a look at BF Goodrich AT.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-fortuner.html (Review: BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tyre upgrade for my Toyota Fortuner)
LTX force in 18" is not available according to few dealers I contacted. BF Goodrich is available, but I am not an offroader and I think it will be an overkill for my usage. Its pricier too, at 24K a piece. With old rubber exchange, I am getting it for 10K per piece.

After reading the bad experience of Bhpian with the LTX trial, I am trying to avoid it.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 11:04   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphukan View Post
Overall, I felt the Geolanders were prone to a lot of Punctures, even when not going Off-Tarmac.
Compared to the other vehicles in the household, I feel I spent an unusual amount of time in the puncture shop, getting stones and nails removed, for some reason!
Have not been given a final quote on the Maxxis yet, but if I remember correctly, it was about 9.5 each.
Thank you for your suggestion on unconditional warranty. I shall keep it in mind.
You are absolutely right sir. My original Bridgestone in its journey of 60 odd km probably had 3-5 punctures. The replacement Geolander in now 50 k km would have had 15 at least. Not sure why. Also it is too noisy. Grip is fine though and if I look at the treads now, good for another 20k. When replacement time comes may be I will go for Michelin which is also long life, less prone to punctures and less noisy.
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:07   #159
Izk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphukan View Post
Update:
I finally went with Maxxis 265s, as the 275s were lightly touching the mudflap when the steering was at full lock.
Costed me 12K per tyre, with free alignment and balancing thrown in.
Hi rphukan.
Hope you have clocked much with the Maxxis tyre now. At this point, how would you compare over the Geolander G015 in terms of ride comfort, traction, handling, steering weight feel, noise and life?

I understand, Geolandars are prone to punctures. How is the Maxxis holding up?
Old 22nd October 2023, 16:35   #160
BHPian

I have had a 2010 Fortuner till now and I recently picked up a pre owned 2016 2nd generation Fortuner as well. On my 2010 Fortuner, I ran Michelin LTX Force for a long time. They have lasted 1.10 lakh kms but i blew a tyre while offroading a few months back (due to a sharp stump. Not the tyre's fault. Even an MT tyre wouldn't have survived that). I replaced 2 tyres with LTX Trails. Have run them for 10k kms since, They are performing really well. But the LTX Force did better on road when new. Super happy with the LTX series on and offroad.

Now with the 2016 Fortuner on 265/60/18s , I'm looking to change the Bridgestone HTs soon. My usage is primarily highway driving and bad rural and mud roads with the occasional tough offroading session. The options I'm considering are:

a. Yoko Geolander G015 AT (How long do these last and how are they in wet slush/mud? How tough are the sidewalls?)
b. Michelin LTX Trail (My de facto choice but stocks unavailable around Bangalore for now)

My understanding is that aggressive ATs like the BFG KO2s or the upcoming Goodyear DuraTrac RTs aren't the best option for comfort, braking and long highway runs. Am I right in assuming this?

Has anyone upgraded to 285/60/18s? Assuming you have a lift kit, how do they perform?

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2023 at 20:07. Reason: Font formatting
sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 12:39   #161
LJP

What would you BHPians suggest for Fortuner 2015 model. Clocked 62K now with stock tyres Dunlop, and Looking to change all of them. Which one should I choose. By reading all comments in the thread, I still could not reach a conclusion. Everyone said about Yoko, but saw mixed reviews.
Found some DUNLOP for 13.5K, 2022 Manufacture
Shortlisted Continental Cross Contact also.

Which one should I choose, for 75% Tarmac and 25% offroad. Budget 12-16K for each.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th December 2023 at 15:45. Reason: Please type in full for make / model of car. No acronyms please. Thanks.
LJP is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st November 2023, 19:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Now with the 2016 Fortuner on 265/60/18s , I'm looking to change the Bridgestone HTs soon
Do check the Vredestein Pinza AT. I got them on my Fortuner some time back, and am super happy. Check this out - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5613381 (SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll)
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 14:42   #163

Has anyone upgraded to 285/60/18s? Assuming you have a lift kit, how do they perform?[/quote]

I have a Toyota fortuner 4WD (Sigma) 2018 model. The first tyre change was in October 2021 at 45k odd. Those 3.5 years, the vehicle did not run much due to Covid etc and largely remained parked due to which, I believe the tyres became little stiffer and prone to faster tearing.

October 2021, before the tyres change, I started frequent travels from Dehradun to Jabalpur (1200KMS odd one way). on the very second ride, the tyres started giving up with frequent punctures etc in the middle of nights while driving. Though there was quite some tread left to pull the vehicle for 10k-15k kms, I had to change those due to quite some cracks appearing everywhere on the tyres.

My dealer suggested a 280 mm width tyre instead of the recommended and factory fitted 260 mm width. As I had to leave for my all night outstation trip that day, I was too desperate to get the tyres changed that very day and could not do much of opinion vetting etc. Whatever little homework I could do, I went ahead with the advice of my dealer (a premium/ luxury car garage owner in Noida) and got Michelin Primcy SUV 285/60 R18 tyres from stock fitted 265/60 R18. Each tyre cost me 21700/- with GST, wheel alignment & balancing extra. So ended paying up some odd 89/90 k to my dealer. The suggestion came to "up-size" the tyre as usually the car manufactures under-tyre the car - that's what was told to me by him.

44k kms of driving since then and the Michelin tyres completely worn out now. the steel cords are protruding out now, of course that's my fault to reach this stage since I should have gotten these replaced at least a 3-4k kms earlier. That means effectively, these Michelin tyres lived only for around 40k kms on my car where I am not into off roading though I do travel to rural, stony and muddy roads quite often.

my observation with 285 mm tyre:
1) road grip was good initially. However, it appears it required frequent wheel alignment than the usual 10000 km one which I could not. more often than not, the vehicle usually ran to left side and required bit harder steering to keep the wheels in balance during drive
2) Inner edges of front tyres started wearing out too fast. Though the wheel rotation should have been carried out at 10k kms ideally, it was done much earlier than that - I don't remember the odo reading though.
3) frequent demand of Wheel alignment / balancing was an irritating feature. It could be the problem of the size or the brand - I can't figure out what. On one occasion, the ASC did the wheel alignment and balancing and 20 days later, I had to send my vehicle to my above dealer for the same job. he gave me a printed report of the alignment but the ASCs usually don't provide with that report.
4) Road grip didn't feel good after initial few 100KMS. Most of the time, I felt, the drive was an unstable one despite all these alignment things and frequent tyre pressure checks. Apprehensive of driving at speeds beyond 100KMPH, literally lost the driving pleasure all this while.
5) 40K running with this high priced tyre doesn't certainly justify the cost at all.
6) I usually use a tyre pressure of 35psi for all tyres and have been clocking a fuel efficiency of 11KM with normal diesel. on highway rides particularly at nights, the fuel efficiency touches 11.5 - 11.7.

My questions:
1) What should be the average / ideal life of a fortune's tyre
2) I am certainly not happy with MICHELLIN. Yoko geolander - Ive read a lot negative about this in this forum alongside the positive. but with so many people putting in complains of punctures and side wall issues, don't want to consider this. Any suggestions here? I've heard a lot about BFG. Isi it really effective for Indian roads/ highway drives etc?
3) I prefer an AT tyre as I do travel to lot of rural areas and areas where there are not much of metallic roads etc. Off - roading, as understood in common parlance, is something like driving in slush, stony roads like in let / Ladakh etc. which though I have not experienced so far but shall be experiencing soon.

Your valuable inputs shall really be of immense help and appreciated.
thanks
AMIT SINGHAL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 09:43   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
I have had a 2010 Fortuner till now and I recently picked up a pre owned 2016 2nd generation Fortuner as well. On my 2010 Fortuner, I ran Michelin LTX Force for a long time. They have lasted 1.10 lakh kms but i blew a tyre while offroading a few months back (due to a sharp stump. Not the tyre's fault. Even an MT tyre wouldn't have survived that). I replaced 2 tyres with LTX Trails. Have run them for 10k kms since, They are performing really well. But the LTX Force did better on road when new. Super happy with the LTX series on and offroad.

Now with the 2016 Fortuner on 265/60/18s , I'm looking to change the Bridgestone HTs soon. My usage is primarily highway driving and bad rural and mud roads with the occasional tough offroading session. The options I'm considering are:

a. Yoko Geolander G015 AT (How long do these last and how are they in wet slush/mud? How tough are the sidewalls?)
b. Michelin LTX Trail (My de facto choice but stocks unavailable around Bangalore for now)

My understanding is that aggressive ATs like the BFG KO2s or the upcoming Goodyear DuraTrac RTs aren't the best option for comfort, braking and long highway runs. Am I right in assuming this?

Has anyone upgraded to 285/60/18s? Assuming you have a lift kit, how do they perform?
Another point that I could not add to my previous reply, 285 mm tyres touched the mud flaps/ underbody of my vehicle particularly while turning. Though the dealer said that it will wade out as the tyres start getting used, it didn't. I am of the opinion that one should stick to manufacturer recommended tyre size. That's just my own experience.
Old 12th December 2023, 11:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIT SINGHAL View Post
My questions:
1) What should be the average / ideal life of a fortune's tyre
2) I am certainly not happy with MICHELLIN. Yoko geolander - Ive read a lot negative about this in this forum alongside the positive. but with so many people putting in complains of punctures and side wall issues, don't want to consider this. Any suggestions here? I've heard a lot about BFG. Isi it really effective for Indian roads/ highway drives etc?
3) I prefer an AT tyre as I do travel to lot of rural areas and areas where there are not much of metallic roads etc. Off - roading, as understood in common parlance, is something like driving in slush, stony roads like in let / Ladakh etc. which though I have not experienced so far but shall be experiencing soon.

Your valuable inputs shall really be of immense help and appreciated.
thanks
I have BFG 18" on my 2023 Fortuner and I am extremely happy so far. Covered around 9000 kms, had driven on bad, gravel roads often and no puncture yet, with FE figures of 10-11 kms. The treads still look new and fresh and I have inking they will last more than 1,00,000 kms easily. But do consider the fact that it is a heavy tire (around 5-6 kgs heavier than OE one).

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1707_o.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks