Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 13:33   #121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Folks,

My fortuner (2nd generation) has clocked 85000KM. The variant is Sigma 4, currently it is running on stock Bridgestone Dueler HT 265/60/R18. I am planning to try an AT tyre as I have been going on mild off-road trips (mostly sand/mud) on regular basis.

While checking out the options, BF Goodrich and Yokohama Geolandar seems to be performing well on both on and mild off-roads. But have seen many incidents of side wall cracks with Geolandar, and hence bit confused on the same.

BF seems to be not easily available in the market currently, do we have any source who can arrange a pack of 5? Otherwise I would have to settle with Geo.

Also please let me know if someone using any other AT tyre in this size and using for both on and off-road purpose.

Regards,
Darshak
Cruiser_D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 09:10   #122
BHPian

So i had a chance to head out of town on a 700 km roundtrip on these tyres. The highway was a mix of 6 lane and expressway. The tyres were a little quieter than the original bridgestones but the car was pulling to the left and a slight effort was required by turning the steering slightly to correct the vehicle on straight expressway roads. Only balancing was done at the time of tyre replacement since the tyre dealer suggested that alignment wasn't required as it had been performed by the service center barely 50kms before getting the tyres replaced. After reaching my destination around 300 kms of driving on good roads i inspected the tyres and could see some burnt rubber deposits on the side of the rear left side tyre that I assumed was because of the alignment issue. Rest of the tyres looked fine.

On my way back around a 100 kms from home i heard a sound of a glass shattering as if i had gone over a glass bottle but it came from the rear side of the vehicle and as i was at around a 100km/hr speed I wondered what the sound was. It was around 8 at night so stopped after around 10 kms as I didn't feel any difference in the driving and on looking in the rear view couldn't see anything on the road either as i was on a lit flyover when I heard the sound. Looked at the tyres but couldn't see anything so continued driving home.

Next morning i come out to see a flat rear left tyre with a sidewall cut. As is expected the dealer says it won't be covered under warranty ofcourse and that it isn't possible for it to have happened on the highway as it is a cut. I've told him my experience got the tyre changed and have asked him to atleast raise a claim with Michelin though he is positive that company won't accept the claim as it is clear it is a damage done by me. I fail to understand how this could have happened. Got him to check the alignment too but the alignment has come out correct. Ive always been a fan of michelins and it's been the go to brand for all my replacement tyres in all my vehicles. Let's see what Michelin has to say to me about their finding and whether they even inspect the tyre before giving me their decision. Attaching pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20220408_094013.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20220408wa0002.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20220408wa0001.jpg  

rugsrags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 20:45   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Folks,
While checking out the options, BF Goodrich and Yokohama Geolandar seems to be performing well on both on and mild off-roads. But have seen many incidents of side wall cracks with Geolandar, and hence bit confused on the same.
If you are into hard core off-roading, like to reduce psi and go dune bashing etc then go for BFG. For everything else, the Yoko Geolandar is better.
Old 12th April 2022, 19:58   #124
BHPian

As expected Michelin has washed their hands off my claim saying it isn't a manufacturing defect.

Just wish there was a way to get it checked because their view has come after inspecting only pictures and not the tyre physically. My tyre dealer though is pursuing the case at his level with them since he knows how particular i am personally with my driving. Is it possible that we are importing tyres that are not suitable for our indian conditions. Just saying because this was the first time I got new tyres without feeling any difference whatsoever in my driving experience followed by my unfortunate mishap.
Old 17th April 2022, 10:48   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Next morning i come out to see a flat rear left tyre with a sidewall cut. As is expected the dealer says it won't be covered under warranty ofcourse
Always sad to see sidewall tears on brand new tires. The earlier Michelin LTX Force had a good reputation among Fortuner owners mainly for long life and comfort. Am a bit surprised with the new LTX Trail though. The tread pattern also looks HT type and i guess the sidewalls are a lot softer, so the propensity for cuts. Michelin anyways charges top dollar but almost never offers unconditional warranty, so do not expect anything from them.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:05   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Always sad to see sidewall tears on brand new tires. The earlier Michelin LTX Force had a good reputation among Fortuner owners mainly for long life and comfort. Am a bit surprised with the new LTX Trail though. The tread pattern also looks HT type and i guess the sidewalls are a lot softer, so the propensity for cuts. Michelin anyways charges top dollar but almost never offers unconditional warranty, so do not expect anything from them.
Well i have been given a 50% claim against the new replacement tyre based on my history of purchases of Michelin tyres over the years and no claims as stated by my dealer. But on a serious note this is the first time i'm not very impressed with the tyres. I have high expectations because of which i pay a premium (For these tyres the premium was around 2k per tyre over Yokohoma) and this time its fallen flat maybe because this tyre hasn't been homologated for our driving conditions?
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 01:12   #127
BHPian

Members,
Just a heads up. Michelin Primacy SUV plus is now available in 265/65/R17 and 265/60/R18.
Old 23rd May 2022, 22:19   #128

Quote:
As expected Michelin has washed their hands off my claim saying it isn't a manufacturing defect.

Just wish there was a way to get it checked because their view has come after inspecting only pictures and not the tyre physically. My tyre dealer though is pursuing the case at his level with them since he knows how particular i am personally with my driving. Is it possible that we are importing tyres that are not suitable for our indian conditions. Just saying because this was the first time I got new tyres without feeling any difference whatsoever in my driving experience followed by my unfortunate mishap.
Sad to hear that the all these big name companies don’t hold true to their quality claims when it’s time to refund.
In my case Bridgestones have served well when it comes to lasting and toughness. My Scorpio tyres lasted 75,000 kms.
After changing again to Bridgestones did another 50,000 kms before the vehicle went to another owner. There was enough tread left to last another 25,000 kms. Have taken the Scorpio and the present Fortuner on non-tar roads near village roads on uphill, etc and there have been no problems. Though it wasn’t any serious off-roading.

Probably the long life on the tyres is also due to sedate driving of max 70 in city and maximum 110 kmph on highways.
Everytime I’ve changed tyres I’ve been tempted to try another brand like Geolanders, etc especially because the ride quality has been mentioned by many but the stories of tyre mishaps have kept me away.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2022 at 23:08. Reason: Just adding a line to your paragraph break to ease readability. :)
Old 24th May 2022, 07:41   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunerTRD View Post
Sad to hear that the all these big name companies don’t hold true to their quality claims when it’s time to refund.
In my case Bridgestones have served well when it comes to lasting and toughness. My Scorpio tyres lasted 75,000 kms. .
Any tyre at all will have sidewall slashed if it was cut by glass. He did say he could hear glass shattering but couldn't see anything, chances are a bottle he ran over was crushed to powder by his tyre but by that time, it slashed the sidewall. Nothing to do with Michelin, Yoko or any other brand.
Old 24th May 2022, 13:35   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Any tyre at all will have sidewall slashed if it was cut by glass. He did say he could hear glass shattering but couldn't see anything, chances are a bottle he ran over was crushed to powder by his tyre but by that time, it slashed the sidewall. Nothing to do with Michelin, Yoko or any other brand.
You’re probably right.

But have read fewer complaints about Bridgestones in general. Though nothing exceptional about them. But cost-effective, long-life for regular usage is a definite.
Old 24th May 2022, 18:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunerTRD View Post
You’re probably right.

But have read fewer complaints about Bridgestones in general. Though nothing exceptional about them. But cost-effective, long-life for regular usage is a definite.
I had Bridgestone Dueler HT on my previous Scorpio and got new tyres in that brand. Performed ok, had a good amount of life but horrible in eg rainy conditions, when cornering etc. I have a feeling some 15-20% of lazy braking and slow response type complaitns about scorpios come just from those tyres.

Moved to Michelin Primacy SUV and there was a night and day difference.
Old 24th May 2022, 19:57   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I had Bridgestone Dueler HT on my previous Scorpio and got new tyres in that brand. Performed ok, had a good amount of life but horrible in eg rainy conditions, when cornering etc. I have a feeling some 15-20% of lazy braking and slow response type complaitns about scorpios come just from those tyres.

Moved to Michelin Primacy SUV and there was a night and day difference.

Strangely I’ve never found any problems with braking etc with Bridgestones. But then again my max driving speed has been 110 kmph on the highway ever in both the Scorpio and Fortuner.
My brothers XUV 500 2016 Automatic also has Bridgestones. No complaints.

If one is a spirited driver then probably Bridgestones might have drawbacks.
But now at an ‘uncle’ age the tyres lifespan, general performance and cost matters more any other parameters.
FortunerTRD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 01:58   #133
BHPian

I am planning to replace the tires of my Fortuner - I have had good experience with Michelin Latitude Cross, so would Michelin LTX Trail be the equivalent now ? Any experience one can share on those ? Somewhere I read that it is supposed to have better sidewall than the earlier LTX Force.
Old 9th August 2022, 10:18   #134
BHPian

I have been running Yokohama Geolanders on my 2009 Fortuner for almost 6 years now, and it's now time for a replacement.
Was thinking of the Maxxis 275/65 R 17s. Any thoughts?
rphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:47   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphukan View Post
I have been running Yokohama Geolanders on my 2009 Fortuner for almost 6 years now, and it's now time for a replacement.
Was thinking of the Maxxis 275/65 R 17s. Any thoughts?
What is your experience and feedback of the Geolandars? Any reason you're not considering a re-fitment of the same?

Also can you share the price you're being quoted for the Maxxis tyres?

Just a word of advice - when you're investing in such expensive tyres which are going to cost you 14k+ per piece, you should absolutely ensure that they come with unconditional warranty.

Tyre damage is more about bad luck than anything to do with the user and it is fully possible that a sharp object can render your tyre unusable as you leave the tyre shop - and this has nothing to do with the quality of the tyres either - just your luck.

This is why I absolutely insist that for expensive tyres, you must absolutely go for a brand which has unconditional warranty. To my knowledge, Yokohama gives it for a limited period whereas Maxxis does not.

Just go through rugsrags' experience quoted below to get an idea of why I'm insisting on this.

Quote:

RubberGuru1113 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks