Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 11:27   #136
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
What is your experience and feedback of the Geolandars? Any reason you're not considering a re-fitment of the same?

Also can you share the price you're being quoted for the Maxxis tyres?

Just a word of advice - when you're investing in such expensive tyres which are going to cost you 14k+ per piece, you should absolutely ensure that they come with unconditional warranty.

Tyre damage is more about bad luck than anything to do with the user and it is fully possible that a sharp object can render your tyre unusable as you leave the tyre shop - and this has nothing to do with the quality of the tyres either - just your luck.

This is why I absolutely insist that for expensive tyres, you must absolutely go for a brand which has unconditional warranty. To my knowledge, Yokohama gives it for a limited period whereas Maxxis does not.

Just go through rugsrags' experience quoted below to get an idea of why I'm insisting on this.
Overall, I felt the Geolanders were prone to a lot of Punctures, even when not going Off-Tarmac.
Compared to the other vehicles in the household, I feel I spent an unusual amount of time in the puncture shop, getting stones and nails removed, for some reason!
Have not been given a final quote on the Maxxis yet, but if I remember correctly, it was about 9.5 each.
Thank you for your suggestion on unconditional warranty. I shall keep it in mind.
Old 10th August 2022, 16:19   #137
BHPian

Well I don't know about unconditional warranty but a tyre cut warranty is a must. I had another scare just yesterday. Another day of parking at night all fine and waking up to a completely flat tyre. This time it was the front one. Ofcourse at some point in the night all the air was out and so on changing the tyre it was completely de-shaped due to the weight of the engine on a flat tyre. On visual inspection could not find anything except a big crack in-between the tread. Dreaded the outcome and so sent the tyre off to my tyre dealer expecting the worse. Luckily he checked and found a puncture and the cut as per him superficial. What is really surprising is that my usage is only on good roads and has been for the entire life of the car. I never faced these issues on my Bridgestones. In fact upto 69k kms I was lucky with just one puncture in the entire time as opposed to a tyre cut and now tyre puncture in just 5k with the michelins.

Another surprising thing is that post the tyre change it took 3 visits to the dealership to get the alignment right. According to the technician at Toyota it was because of the aggressive tread design that the alignment kept getting disturbed. That's definitely the first time i've come across an explanation such as this, but I've let it slide because at the moment the alignment feels alright.

I do have another question though. I find the steering to be really heavy. The other day i happened to drive a friends Fortuner albeit a relatively new one with just 15k on the odo and i found the steering to be really light in comparison. I assume tyres play a role in this but could it be that my steering has some issues with the hydraulics??
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20220809_105821.jpg  

rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 18:05   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well I don't know about unconditional warranty but a tyre cut warranty is a must.
Yes - this is often not considered during purchase decisions. Personally I would compromise slightly on performance from tyre A if tyre B has UCW (Unconditional Warranty). Unfortunately, only JK and Ceat have unambiguous blanket UCW on all products. The remaining companies offer it only for specific products (Apollo/BS/Yokohama/Conti).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
I do have another question though. I find the steering to be really heavy. The other day i happened to drive a friends Fortuner albeit a relatively new one with just 15k on the odo and i found the steering to be really light in comparison. I assume tyres play a role in this but could it be that my steering has some issues with the hydraulics??
Tyres sold in the replacement market are not tuned for a specific vehicle. I'm assuming that your friend is still running on his stock tyres. For sure, the steering feel will be optimised for the stock tyres as per the vehicle. When you go for a replacement - especially in the case of imports - the tyres have probably been tuned for a completely different vehicle. Of course it's not possible to test drive tyres before fitment - that would be ideal . So when swapping tyres in the replacement market it is pretty much a lottery if you're going for a different make from the stock tyres - it can feel anywhere from significantly better to significantly worse - but yes, the companies who charge a premium are the ones who have worked hard on reducing the proportion of "worse" instances compared to the stock tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphukan View Post
Overall, I felt the Geolanders were prone to a lot of Punctures, even when not going Off-Tarmac.
Compared to the other vehicles in the household, I feel I spent an unusual amount of time in the puncture shop, getting stones and nails removed, for some reason!
Have not been given a final quote on the Maxxis yet, but if I remember correctly, it was about 9.5 each.
Thank you for your suggestion on unconditional warranty. I shall keep it in mind.
9.5k per tyre seems very cheap for this size, where JK/Ceat start from 10-11k. Ensure that the tyres are of relatively recent stock - 6 months old or less. Check the 4 digit Week-Year code on the sidewall - for example, 1122 means it was manufactured on the 11th week of 2022.

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 10th August 2022 at 18:09. Reason: Added information
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 07:46   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I have been running Yokohama Geolanders on my 2009 Fortuner for almost 6 years now, and it's now time for a replacement.
Was thinking of the Maxxis 275/65 R 17s. Any thoughts?
Won’t disagree with you when you say that the geolandars are prone to punctures, especially the erstwhile Yokohama geolandar AT-S(G012). I’ve been running the Yokohama geolandar G015 on my 2010 fortuner since the last 1 year and recently had my first puncture, a year later. IMHO, you are better off sticking to the stock size(265/65/R17)and you have some great options like the geolandar g015, Bridgestone dueler AT D697, Michelin LTX trail and the continental cross contact LX2. If you do want to go for the maxxis though, look at the bravo AT 771.

Cheers
KK2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 08:56   #140
BHPian

Update:
I finally went with Maxxis 265s, as the 275s were lightly touching the mudflap when the steering was at full lock.
Costed me 12K per tyre, with free alignment and balancing thrown in.
rphukan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 16:55   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
I finally went with Maxxis 265s, as the 275s were lightly touching the mudflap when the steering was at full lock.
Costed me 12K per tyre, with free alignment and balancing thrown in.
Hi rphukan,
Any photos?
Old 14th August 2022, 20:24   #142
BHPian

What's the wheel size for the 2009-2012 Fortuner's?
Mine's a 2011 and I can't find the wheel size in the owners manual but the suggested tire size is 265/65/17, I'm looking for off-road worthy replacements with fake beadlocks
Old 15th August 2022, 15:17   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykar View Post
What's the wheel size for the 2009-2012 Fortuner's?
Mine's a 2011 and I can't find the wheel size in the owners manual but the suggested tire size is 265/65/17, I'm looking for off-road worthy replacements with fake beadlocks
The Stock size for the 2009-2015 fortuner is 265/65/R17.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:44   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
Hi rphukan,
Any photos?
Here are a few.. Haven't washed the tyres properly yet, and so the blue protective paint is still present.
Once washed, the white lettering will be visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9883.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9884.jpeg  

Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9885.jpeg  

rphukan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:44   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
The Stock size for the 2009-2015 fortuner is 265/65/R17.
Yes, that is what I said in my post.
I am looking for the metal wheel or rim size, not rubber tire size.
Strykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 16:55   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is what I said in my post.
I am looking for the metal wheel or rim size, not rubber tire size.
Name:  Fortuner wheel.JPG
Views: 1888
Size:  42.3 KB

Source : https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/fortuner/2010/
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 17:26   #147
BHPian

Thanks, that site does not list the 3.0 D4D model but this looks right: 265/65R17 112S 7.5Jx17 ET20.

Quote:
Update:
I was contemplating going 275s since they seems like 1.6% difference.
Any chance you took photos of how much it rubbed the arch?

Last edited by Sheel : 16th August 2022 at 18:45. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:03   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that site does not list the 3.0 D4D model but this looks right: 265/65R17 112S 7.5Jx17 ET20.

I was contemplating going 275s since they seems like 1.6% difference.
Any chance you took photos of how much it rubbed the arch?
Unfortunately, didn't take a picture of it. But the contact started even before getting to full lock, and it would have definitely caused problems when driving at speed or off road.
Btw, the contact was between the Tyre and the Mud Flap.
rphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 22:01   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, didn't take a picture of it. But the contact started even before getting to full lock, and it would have definitely caused problems when driving at speed or off road.
Btw, the contact was between the Tyre and the Mud Flap.
Thanks, so would there be no contact with the wheel arches or inner wall if I remove the mudflaps?
Old 28th August 2022, 12:59   #150
BHPian

friends, kindly provide suggestions :

2015 Fortuner 3.0L, current ODO 131 K KM.
- OE Dunlop lasted about 75K KM
- current Pirelli Scorpion ATR done about 56K, but the tyres have become very hard and ride quality has turned bad, though there is decent depth seen. Maybe because very less usage during 2 yrs of pandemic.

Looking for changing the rubber; main usage within city and highways runs, sometimes mild off-roading.

regards,
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks