Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 15:30   #376
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

I have been using Michelin XM2 in my Santro for the past 1 year/15000 KM.
Ride & braking abilities have improved considerably over the stock goodyear tyres. Earlier, sudden brakes at speed over 100 used to make the car go haywire but now the car maintains it composure. Also, my mileage improved by about 10 percent, but that could also be attributed to new Alloys.
But, I feel the XM2 gets punctured a bit too frequently. Twice in the past 1 year.
Yesterday, I found a nail half pierced into the tyre. Thankfully it did not puncture it. I feel that this is because of the tyre compound being too soft, but at the same time, a nail will pierce any tyre that come into its contact.

Does anyone else has faced this issue in XM2?
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 23:27   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I thought the All New Honda City came with 14" rims, not 15. So did you upsize the rims too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I'm sorry my bad....I meant 14 only.
I think 185/65 with 15" might scrape the wheel well when loaded.
ANHC does come with 15" rims! what is the confusion about? Infact, 185/65 is a wrong up-size, should have been 195/60 or retained the original 175/65!
Old 31st October 2013, 23:54   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Does XM2 come for 15" Punto wheels,because mine is 2012 topend model which come with Alloy wheels .If yes then where in bangalore will i get it a good price.
I have done 30k on my GT3's and not happy aymore with them ,previously in my santro i ran XM1 which i was very happy with hence thinking of getting the tyres changed.

Also i was thinking can i upsize to 205/60/15 when i am already running 195/60/15 ?
This idea popped when i saw a Yoko S-drive tyre in 205/55/15 size.
What are the positives and negatives for the same ?
Fellow bhpians please advice....
msvg,

Yes the XM2 comes in the Punto Stock Size - 195/60/R15. A friend is using them and has even done a Ladakh trip on them and it did not let him down.

I have been using XM2 on my Palio since the last 6 weeks and have done 2700 kms with them. The Tires are indeed good and worth the premium you pay. I have done all sorts of roads in the said period. It has seen some high speed driving, Spirited drive in the Ghats & the worst of Kerala's potholed roads but yet they Tires have done admirably well. They give decent grip, Sidewall is tough and it is not that noisy. Previously I had Yoko A Drives on the Palio.

I bought them from Madhus since they gave me the best deal and I've always been happy about their service.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:46   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
msvg,

Yes the XM2 comes in the Punto Stock Size - 195/60/R15. A friend is using them and has even done a Ladakh trip on them and it did not let him down.

I have been using XM2 on my Palio since the last 6 weeks and have done 2700 kms with them. The Tires are indeed good and worth the premium you pay. I have done all sorts of roads in the said period. It has seen some high speed driving, Spirited drive in the Ghats & the worst of Kerala's potholed roads but yet they Tires have done admirably well. They give decent grip, Sidewall is tough and it is not that noisy. Previously I had Yoko A Drives on the Palio.

I bought them from Madhus since they gave me the best deal and I've always been happy about their service.

Hi,
I am considering either Yokohoma A drive or XM2 for my Fiat Petra.

Since you have used both, what would you recommend for my Petra which is mainly used on city roads

Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:15   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi,

Since you have used both, what would you recommend for my Petra which is mainly used on city roads

Thanks
Rikhav, I would buy the XM2 any day over the A Drives. The A Drive is a good tyre but I feel XM2 is a much better one. My A Drives gave up at 40k even after maintaining correct tire pressure and alignment & rotation done regularly at 5k kms.
lloydofcochin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 14:54   #381
BHPian

My Vista's two months old front left XM2 tyre has got a damage, looks like a crack on the inner side groove. Till now it was run on good roads only, so I think it won't be impact damage. Anyway, I'm going to show it to the dealer and request for a replacement. Hope it will be covered under warranty.

Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-tyre1.jpg

Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-tyre2.jpg
Old 5th November 2013, 09:01   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
My Vista's two months old front left XM2 tyre has got a damage, looks like a crack on the inner side groove.
That's bad. Is that a 185 cross section tyre? How on earth did you spot it? Please keep us posted on what the dealer says.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:36   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That's bad. Is that a 185 cross section tyre? How on earth did you spot it? Please keep us posted on what the dealer says.
It's a 175/65/R14 of 1813 batch. I noticed the crack while removing pebbles. Yesterday I showed it to the dealer, but Michelin executive was not available and is expected on Wednesday. I will update after his comments/report.
Old 9th November 2013, 14:50   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Please keep us posted on what the dealer says.
Yesterday, the tyre was inspected by Michelin service engineer at Tyre Care, Coimbatore, where I bought the tyre. The engineer was polite. The following were his comments.

1. It’s is an impact damage.
2. Confidant that it is not a manufacturing defect.
3. It’s a very minor damage and absolutely nothing to worry about.
4. It’s just a scratch like at the bottom of tread block. No way can it affect the performance or safety of the tyre.
5. The likely reason may be due to a pot-hole, resulting in a scratch by an object
6. The actual damage doesn’t look like an expandable crack as seen in the image.
7. The tyre can still be run in front left side.

I’m sure that the tyre was not run on such damaging pot-holes, anyway there is no warranty replacement. But he promised me that he will replace the tyre with no strings attached, in case if something arises out of this damage. Just curious, are the XM2 tread blocks so soft?
Arun.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 13:44   #385

Hi all,

I am planning to get XM2 175/70R13 onto my i10.
The Tyre plus executive on Varthur Road, in Whitefield is quoting 4700/- per piece.
Is this the best rate we can get these in Bangalore?

Regards,
alpha.
Old 10th November 2013, 20:15   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
I’m sure that the tyre was not run on such damaging pot-holes, anyway there is no warranty replacement. But he promised me that he will replace the tyre with no strings attached, in case if something arises out of this damage. Just curious, are the XM2 tread blocks so soft?
Keep a close eye on that tyre. I have been running XM2 now for last 3 months. I think the tyre is reasonably tough. But as you'd know, Michelin cannot take abuse like a MRF or Bridgestone. So, I keep an eye out for sharp potholes and stones all the time.

And always, keep the pressure up. A tyre on low pressure invites trouble.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:46   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Had a very bad experience of Michelin XM1+ on my Petra, so I won't go back to Michelins. BS Potenza MY02 should be a better choice for Petra.
Old 11th November 2013, 16:20   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Had a very bad experience of Michelin XM1+ on my Petra, so I won't go back to Michelins. BS Potenza MY02 should be a better choice for Petra.
Hi there
If you dont mind, can you share the bad experience with the xm2s and what makes you choose my02 for petra

Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 12:17   #389
BHPian

Quote:
If you dont mind, can you share the bad experience with the xm2s
I had XM1+ on my car.To cut the long story short, I lost 4 michelins due to side wall issues. Even though the new XM2 are toughned, why I won't go for XM2 is simple- once bitten twice shy.
Even by todays standards your Petra is a fast car and along with that heavy too. Tyres with a little harder compound should be good for the Petra. My past experience with BS has been hassle free which takes me to the Potenza series this time.
prokinetic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 18:27   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
I had XM1+ on my car.To cut the long story short, I lost 4 michelins due to side wall issues. Even though the new XM2 are toughned, why I won't go for XM2 is simple- once bitten twice shy.
Even by todays standards your Petra is a fast car and along with that heavy too. Tyres with a little harder compound should be good for the Petra. My past experience with BS has been hassle free which takes me to the Potenza series this time.
I can agree with your concern due to the problems you faced but since its a well known fact that xm2 has a more stronger sidewall

Infact many I am sure are using xm2s in civics and puntos which IMO are much heavier and faster then Palio / petra

I remember reading GTO's post that due to safety norms a Jazz weighs heavier then a Palio

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks